Where To Start?

Hi,

Just wanted some advice really.....

I have visited Thailand several times and really want to give it a try living there.

My main worry is work, as I have assets in England such as house and car but would prefer to keep them just in case the worst happens..... obviously this means that I would need to work in Thailand, and earn enough to have a decent standard of living. Is this possible? I have heard many people talk about poorly paid jobs and working all hours of the week - surely this is not always the case?

Another concern is accomodation. Should I be looking to rent short term just in case things go wrong and I need to return to the UK?

Any advice you can give with regard to the whole process of moving there would be great....

Many Thanks!

P.S - For info I am 26 years old, skilled as production manager / brewer with no ties such as wife or children.

Hi,

Just wanted some advice really.....

I have visited Thailand several times and really want to give it a try living there.

My main worry is work, as I have assets in England such as house and car but would prefer to keep them just in case the worst happens..... obviously this means that I would need to work in Thailand, and earn enough to have a decent standard of living. Is this possible? I have heard many people talk about poorly paid jobs and working all hours of the week - surely this is not always the case?

Another concern is accomodation. Should I be looking to rent short term just in case things go wrong and I need to return to the UK?

Any advice you can give with regard to the whole process of moving there would be great....

Many Thanks!

P.S - For info I am 26 years old, skilled as production manager / brewer with no ties such as wife or children.

The Thai system doesn't accommodate you I'm afraid. Look for a job here or start a business. These are the only avenues open to you ( unless you fancy marrying a Thai )

Come on Doc, let's be a little more positive.

Firstly, do not sell your house or other assets. If you can, rent the house out. As you have no record of working abroad (I assume) you will have problems with the Inland Revenue, insofar as you will be unlikely to get a FICO number, thus the letting agent will have to withold 30% of the rent, plus their own fee (5% to 12%). So it will not give you much of an income, after paying the house insurance, contents insurance, so on. But you will still have your property.

Next, as Doc suggests, find a job. Contact all the Thai brewers, if you have good experience. Come in as a consultant. (Chang, Leo, Singha are the main breweries that also have 'licences' for things like Heineken).

If you cannot find a job, consider linking up with Thai partners to start a micro-brewery. I would suggest some hoteliers in Pattaya or Rhuket. (Phuket already has it's own brew, which I personally think is lousy - if it's still going).

Otherwise you will be in the 30-day visa-run scenario, which is really for back-packers and lost souls who have no other way to stay here. (I was one a few months ago :D )

Rent accommodation when you get here. A small apartment will set you back about 12,000 baht per month, plus utilities - but you can get liveable rooms for 8,000 or so (that's £ 120 - £ 180 per month). That is in the big centres, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket. Many people will tell you that you can rent for less, but it depends on your level of comfort.

Don't destroy your savings, really try for legal work. It is not easy, but you seem to have a skill that is marketable, but it is in one of the non-allowed categories for non-Thais, therefore my proposal of being a consultant.

I wish you luck, come and enjoy a new life. :o

agreed... and wouldn't certainly "brewer" be included in the ever-extensive "banned occupations list"?? ... thus curtailing his only trade?

He does have assets and that could cover his daily costs..but he seems reluctant to tap into them.

best to come for as long a tour as he is willing to give up some of his assets for?

just to be realistic, trev.

agreed... and wouldn't certainly "brewer" be included in the ever-extensive "banned occupations list"?? ... thus curtailing his only trade?

He does have assets and that could cover his daily costs..but he seems reluctant to tap into them.

best to come for as long a tour as he is willing to give up some of his assets for?

just to be realistic, trev.

A 6 month wander on a double entry ( twice extended ) tourist visa is the way to go for him to go.

Thanks for the advise - just wondered if I could access this list of "banned occupations" anywhere on the web?

Other options may be other manufacturing organisations as obviously the skills I have are not soley for brewing.

I am unsure of the industries which exist within Thailand.... any info?

The list of occupations prohibited to aliens:

http://www.thailand.com/exports/html/law_b..._06_foreign.htm

Brewpubs and micro-breweries in Thailand:

http://www.bangkokbob.net/micro_breweries.htm (Note: The Colliseum does NOT brew its own beer!)

My favorite beer in Thailand is the Bitter at Londoner Brewpub - and it's not really very good, for a craft-brewed beer.

All the big breweries throughout Asia all brew only lagers - in Thailand, all the lagers are too sweet.

Good contact info:

http://www.beerme.com/breweries/th/index.shtml

Coming here as a 26 year old - you can survive pretty easily. But building wealth will be ###### hard - you won't do it as an employee, and doing it as an entrepreneur isn't easy either.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaitradedata.com

In the truth I have the same problem. But with some differences.

1. I don't have my own property in my country.

2. I am not 'native speaker' and my english is not even 'fluent'.

I am 27y old. I have MA degree in science as a Land Surveyor/Cartographer. Of course limited experience, because I had to earn some money for my trip to Thailand (so I worked in USA during 1,5 years - construction). I am from rather poor country where engineer can earn the same money like cleaning service :D

But I don't scare to go :o If u can guys - give me some advices too.

Good luck trevmdurant :D

As you have no record of working abroad (I assume) you will have problems with the Inland Revenue, insofar as you will be unlikely to get a FICO number, thus the letting agent will have to withold 30% of the rent, plus their own fee (5% to 12%).

Can you expand on this Up2U? I've not heard about this FICO no.

Thanks

I have also checked out the banned jobs for aliens and brewer / production manager / manufacturing staff do not appear on this list. Perhaps this is still the best avenue to explore for me?

I would look into teaching but the general impression is that these jobs are very lowly paid.... Dont get me wrong, I dont want to be a very rich man, but I expect a good standard of living...

Any thoughts...?

Does anyone have a rough idea how much it would cost to set up a bar (beer bar OR a go-go)? Again, any info on ownership, doing business would be excellent, thanks!

Wow! Just looking at this list, I see nothing about a computer or electronics business, am I missing something? Or is this not a complete list of banned enterprises.

There are still some areas where farangs can work,

BUT you do need to be something of an expert in the field.

There are plenty of good Thai techincal level staff, but real

'problem solving' skills and top level technical management are still hard to find.

On the topic of renting property in the UK, I have been renting mine in London for the past 6.5 years and living in los successfully since.

The FICO number is your letting agent's license number. For you to have your rent paid gross to your bank you need to apply through the IR to be a non-resident landlord living abroad. The form is easy to complete - you will need the agent's FICO number - and my application was processed within a few days. You are allowed to return to the UK for up to 90 days in one tax year. It's really a breeze. Most reputable letting agents will not manage your property unless you have this tax exemption. They don't want to get tied up in your tax affairs.

When you do your tax return at the end of the year, there's masses you can offset against your liability. For instance, your agent's and accountant's fees. Interest on your mortgage. Any money that has been spent on maintainence and 10% of income for wear and tear.

I get an annual gross income through the flat of 16,000 pounds and have never paid any more than 250 pounds tax in any one year.

PS. If you return to the UK, then "obviously" you are doing so to take care of your property - therefore a legitimate business expense and therefore deductable. Have a look at the IR web site. I hear you can print the form you need straight off there. Good luck.