Can Anyone Tell Me What This Says?

klaymen

I had someone write this down on paper for me, knowing that i can't read thai. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what it says?

I tried to find language sites that i could copy the characters for and then run through a translator, but no luck :o

See attachment.

post-58697-1204060464_thumb.jpg

I had someone write this down on paper for me, knowing that i can't read thai. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what it says?

I tried to find language sites that i could copy the characters for and then run through a translator, but no luck :o

See attachment.

I'm not an expert, but I think it says "David Ting Tong" i.e. David is crazy.

G

See attachment.

I'm not an expert, but I think it says "David Ting Tong" i.e. David is crazy.

G

That makes alot of sense. I'd say thats exactly what it is. Thankyou so much!

I would wager from the calligraphy and the misspelling of David that this was written by a female of Thai nationality whose education was not academically stellar.

Call me Sherlock Holmes.

P.S. I personally prefer the Scottish noun "daftie" for a translation of (the adjective) ting tong. But that's just my (probably incorrect) opinion.

"David is a daftie"

Edited by Briggsy

briggsy

i concur, a tor tahan instead of a dor dek.

you have me worried now however, the calligraphy looks very similair to my feeble attemps at writing thai, wouldnt want to give the impression of not being academically stellar.

no listeninig to music for me this afternoon, out will come the pen and notepad and practice writing again.

briggsy

you have me worried now however, the calligraphy looks very similair to my feeble attemps at writing thai, wouldnt want to give the impression of not being academically stellar.

no listeninig to music for me this afternoon, out will come the pen and notepad and practice writing again.

Ah no, the writing is very neat and loopy which usually suggests a female hand. The ignorance of the English spelling of David or the inability to transcribe it into Thai prompted my 'academic' comment.

Also you can see it has been written in the Thai equivalent of block capitals. Otherwise the ิ and ว would probably be linked, etc.

briggsy

Ah no, the writing is very neat and loopy which usually suggests a female hand. The ignorance of the English spelling of David or the inability to transcribe it into Thai prompted my 'academic' comment.

Also you can see it has been written in the Thai equivalent of block capitals. Otherwise the ิ and ว would probably be linked, etc.

Got another one for you guys.. try this:

post-58697-1204100689_thumb.jpg

I would wager from the calligraphy and the misspelling of David that this was written by a female of Thai nationality whose education was not academically stellar.

Call me Sherlock Holmes.

P.S. I personally prefer the Scottish noun "daftie" for a translation of (the adjective) ting tong. But that's just my (probably incorrect) opinion.

"David is a daftie"

By the way, you are correct about the nationality and the sex. As for the education, I can't really comment as i wouldn't know!

briggsy

Got another one for you guys.. try this:

Khrungthepmahanakhon = Bangkok

Indeed "Bangkok" in the same rather attractive, neat script. I'm beginning to wonder more about the writer. Such writing would tend to suggest a pride in personal appearance. This is a fairly safe bet though in that very few Thai females are scruffily turned out.

P.S. What are you doing, posting photos of bits of paper on TV? I mean, I don't mind, in fact, it's mildly entertaining but do you have a goal here?

Sherlock spots a corrected spelling mistake in กรุงเทพมหานครฯ I think the า was omitted and then later inserted.

Its an interesting case actually.

There is a cafe underneath my office and theres a girl who's grown to be friends with.

There is always alot of language questions bouncing around as one of her co-workers is slovakian, i can speak croat and slovakian so i always get tell her things and she will struggle all day to find them out, so recently she's been giving me notes and seeing if i can figure out what they are.

Just to occupy time for both of us, but it's an interesting game.

I had no idea where to go to translate them, so i figured i'd find the first forum i could with alot of thai speakers, then i found this one, saw that there was quite a few people learning the language, so not only would i be finding out the meaning of the notes, i would also be giving people practise.

I'm sure there will be many more to come!

With regards to the last note, i amazed at the length of the city name. Very interesting!

Believe it or not the little squiggle at the end of your note for "Bangkok" means that the word has been shortened by omitting the end. It is indeed much longer than that in its full version. But usually Bangkok is just "Krungthep" in spoken Thai.

If you don't mind me asking, are you in Slovakia or in Thailand? You may not want to say, so, if so , never mind.

Here it is in full:

กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukam

[from Wikipedia]

Edited by grtaylor

Sherlock spots a corrected spelling mistake in กรุงเทพมหานครฯ I think the า was omitted and then later inserted.

There is always alot of language questions bouncing around as one of her co-workers is slovakian, i can speak croat and slovakian so i always get tell her things and she will struggle all day to find them out, so recently she's been giving me notes and seeing if i can figure out what they are.

Slovak or Slovenian?

Used to speak some Slovak, lived in Nitra, went to the Tatry's in winter.

Believe it or not the little squiggle at the end of your note for "Bangkok" means that the word has been shortened by omitting the end. It is indeed much longer than that in its full version. But usually Bangkok is just "Krungthep" in spoken Thai.

If you don't mind me asking, are you in Slovakia or in Thailand? You may not want to say, so, if so , never mind.

Actually in Australia heh.

I walked in and said Bangkok this morning, and she said she would write a much more difficult one.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but the length of the actual name of Bangkok, was it actually spoken like that? or has it always been shortened to Krungthep.

เด็กแว้น 'dek waen' means a motorcycle-driving teenage boy. The แว้น 'waen' part is onomatopoeia for the sound of a motorcycle engine revving. To translate it directly, we might say 'vroom kid'. Terribly inelegant, I'm afraid, but I don't know that this exact species of teenager exists in most Western countries. That is, actually being proud of your 125CC motorcycle.

To translate the definition from the Royal Institute Dictionary of New Words Vol. 1:

"n. A male adolescent who likes to rev his motorcycle engine with loud 'vroom vroom' sounds, ex. The police set up a checkpoint to pull over 'vroom kids', because they bother the residents with their motorcycle-driving."

น. วันรุ่นผู้ชายที่ชอบเร่งเครื่องมอเตอร์ไซค์ให้มีเสียงดังแว้น ๆ เช่น ตำรวจตั้งด่านจับเด็กแว้น เพราะขี่มอเตอร์ไซค์เสียงดังรบกวนชาวบ้าน.

Edited by Rikker

Just noticed my typo... วันรุ่น should be วัยรุ่น. Too late to edit.

I guess its not to far from the term in UK and New Zealand of "Boy Racer" in a literal sense would just mean a boy who races, but its definition is quite tapered, its a very specific type of car and person etc.

Allthough, when i came in this morning and said dek waen, she was happy I'd found it, but apprently waen means something else.

Is there any other slang words you know that translate to waen?

I had a look around online, and all i can find is motorbike references. So i don't know if she meant to write something else?

I think we could say that "dek vaen" are the Thai version of "emo" kids.

These motorcycle boys usually wear tapered pants, with T-shirts that are either black and/or have the logo of a rock/alternative/heavy metal band such as Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, or Body Slam (and listen to those bands as well, although they don't know the meaning of the lyrics). Some might wear flowered shorts, similar to the ones the girl vaens ("sagoi") wear. However, they are often not without windbreakers - yes, even in the melting temperatures of Thailand.

They often call themselves "emo" although they really don't know what it means in western culture.

From my understanding, "vaen" is a sort of umbrella term covering sub-groups of "saeb" (the motorcyclists - guys) and "sagoi" (the passengers - girls).

More info can be found on Thai Wikipedia and Pantip.com (in Thai).

Pics:

post-16001-1204262574_thumb.jpg post-16001-1204262594_thumb.jpg

"WAAN BOY 'N' SAGOI GIRL", by GANCORE CLUB (Thaitanium & Joey Boy, I believe):

Please note that the guys 'n girls in the video look a lot cooler than the real life vaens & sagois (except maybe at the end :o)

klaymen, if you really wanna impress her with your knowledge, try showing up at her office one day dressed as a "dek vaen"! :D

These motorcycle boys usually wear tapered pants, with T-shirts that are either black and/or have the logo of a rock/alternative/heavy metal band such as Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, or Body Slam (and listen to those bands as well, although they don't know the meaning of the lyrics). Some might wear flowered shorts, similar to the ones the girl vaens ("sagoi") wear. However, they are often not without windbreakers - yes, even in the melting temperatures of Thailand.

They often call themselves "emo" although they really don't know what it means in western culture.

From my understanding, "vaen" is a sort of umbrella term covering sub-groups of "saeb" (the motorcyclists - guys) and "sagoi" (the passengers - girls).

Pics:

post-16001-1204262574_thumb.jpg post-16001-1204262594_thumb.jpg

"WAAN BOY 'N' SAGOI GIRL", by GANCORE CLUB (Thaitanium & Joey Boy, I believe):

Please note that the guys 'n girls in the video look a lot cooler than the real life vaens & sagois (except maybe at the end :o )

klaymen, if you really wanna impress her with your knowledge, try showing up at her office one day dressed as a "dek vaen"! :D

You were exactly right. Apparently, as she describes it, its basically like, younger people (dek) and their own way of, dressing, appearing etc. which basically translates to emo i guess, which is how she put it.

I've got two more notes to translate from her.

and no i will not be trying to impress her with my emo style.

Strangley though, she had no idea about the vroom kid translation, and thought i was crazy!

Here it is in full:

กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukam

[from Wikipedia]

And you can listen to an mp3 of it here [from the Cracking Thai Fundamentals podcast]

thanks siamesekitty,

'motorbike rev-head' was about the best i could think of, but that conjures up much more dedication to hardware and much less dedication to fashion than what's needed.

i have to admit, somehow i have survived until my early thirties never having heard (let alone understood) the term 'emo'. so, thankyou... perhaps now the world will make more sense!

all the best.

Here it is in full:

[from Wikipedia]

And you can listen to an mp3 of it here [from the Cracking Thai Fundamentals podcast]

Too bad it's spoken by an accented farang, and doesn't sound much like Thai. Does anyone know where one might find the song that young Thais listen to in order to memorize it?

Edited by mangkorn

Too bad it's spoken by a Brit. Does anyone know where one might find the song that young Thais listen to in order to memorize it?

A Brit? I was under the impression that Stuart is a ลูกครึ่ง because he sounds native to my ears in both languages.

I've just checked and he is half Australian half Indian, but Thais often think he is half Thai. check his blog, he is an amazing poliglote.