Do Thais Get Heartburn?

sunreader

Had a touch recently and popped into Boots/Watsons etc, but to no avail, in fact nowhere seemed to stock Gavisgon or Rennie which are so widely advertised in the UK, maybe because of a different diet Thais don't get it?

Same problem. I use Alum Milk, widely available from all pharmacies.

Look for an antacid with the following ingredients: Aluminum Hydroxide 400mg, Magnesium Hydroxide, Simethicone 40mg, in liquid form. In the US it is known as Mylanta. If you get the Aluminum Hydroxide alone you will get constipation, Magnesium Hydroxide alone will give you diarrhea, Simethicone is anti gas.

The well versed nurse GunnyD

I've never found Gaviscon, and have to bring it back with me everytime I go to a Western country. Works great. I found Antacil and the other local brands to be very ineffective.

Maybe the Thai FDA keeps Gavison out on purpose because I've bought it (in small single-serve gel sticks) even in Cambodia. I did see Mylanta in Bangkok not that long ago - it caught my eye - think it was the little pharamacy inside a Villa Supermarket.

You can actually find the brand "TUMS" in Thailand. I also bring some with me when I return from the US. Or even ROLAIDS works.

Since both of these neutralize the gastric acid in your stomach, they will help you in regurgitating into your throat. If its a persistant problem, it could lead to some real health issues.

Also, sodium bicarbonate will work mixed with water. Don't use to much sodium if you have high blood pressure, though.

TUMS and ROLAIDS are compact and last a long time in dry storage. And TUMS actually also gives you needed calcium.

I honestly cannot remember where I bought them but feel I may have found them somewhere down here near Phuket.

My wife says to simply go to BOOTS and talk to the pharmacist. They all speak English.

Also, sodium bicarbonate is a good home solution an can be found easily.

Hope you find it and if you do let us know.

If I run into it again I'll post it here.

I honestly cannot remember where I bought them but feel I may have found them somewhere down here near Phuket.

My wife says to simply go to BOOTS and talk to the pharmacist. They all speak English.

Hope you find it and if you do let us know.

If I run into it again I'll post it here.

thanks and will try to find them at boots in bkk! :o

i bought some zantac in foodland farmacy on soi 5.

they are 1 of the best tablets for heartburn

i think it was 40 baht a tablet but well worth it

I'm not sure I would simply recommend Zantac. Its a drug that is used for severe cases of GERD or acid reflux, and even ulcers. If you simply have heartburn because you failed to say "kim phet mai dai" when you ordered your food, then simple over-the-counter remdies will help.

Zantac, though no prescription needed in Thialand, is a powerful drug and you should research it before you take it. Many side effects.

Good luck!

Edited by johnnymoretti

I've never found Gaviscon, and have to bring it back with me everytime I go to a Western country. Works great. I found Antacil and the other local brands to be very ineffective.

Maybe the Thai FDA keeps Gavison out on purpose because I've bought it (in small single-serve gel sticks) even in Cambodia. I did see Mylanta in Bangkok not that long ago - it caught my eye - think it was the little pharamacy inside a Villa Supermarket.

Villa Market is a good choice. The location I go to is on Sukhumvit near BTS Phrom Phong. The pharmacy is small, but they have ordered medications for me on many occasions. As long as it in their drug book they can get it usually in a couple of days. And I have found many things there that big pharmacies like Boots don't have.

GunnyD

Sodium bicarbonate will indeed work as a home remedy, but it's not a wise choice. It doesn't limit its action to your tummy, it has so-called "systemic" effects, alkalyzing your blood stream, which is a very good way to kill yourself. Better to take something specifically for heartburn.

I myself like the Boots brand ranitidine, but that is for reflux, not heartburn. Simple heartburn is best treated with Mylanta, Tums, etc. Ranitidine/Zantac may keep you from making more stomach acid, but it doesn't neutralize what's already there and causing the distress.

You can actually find the brand "TUMS" in Thailand.

are you in bangkok? could you tell me where you bought tums? thanks.. :o

Tums is a brand name of Calcium Carbonate. It should be very easy to find Calcium Carbonate chewable tablets. And it is quite safe to use as an antacid. Plus you get a daily dose of calcium to boot.

Thought it would help to get all of us nurses to identify ourselves. Add a little weight to our opinions, against the googlers giving out shoddy info.

Probably all of the googlers have had personal experience of the illnesses and the doctors and I certainly wouldn't say that their information is shoddy based as it is on experience. But I am sure that we will all value and appreciate your input as much as we do our super Sheryl's and Cathy's.

Had a touch recently and popped into Boots/Watsons etc, but to no avail, in fact nowhere seemed to stock Gavisgon or Rennie which are so widely advertised in the UK, maybe because of a different diet Thais don't get it?

:o Not only do they get heartburn....but they get Ulcers as well. I know, as my Thai girlfriend suffered for many years with severe stomach pains caused by Ulcers. It took an operation to remove them from her stomach.

Also remember that Asians, including Thais, are much more prone to be Lactose intolerant which means that diary products, especially milk, can cause them to have heartburn/upset stomach.

:D Not only do they get heartburn....but they get Ulcers as well. I know, as my Thai girlfriend suffered for many years with severe stomach pains caused by Ulcers. It took an operation to remove them from her stomach.

Also remember that Asians, including Thais, are much more prone to be Lactose intolerant which means that diary products, especially milk, can cause them to have heartburn/upset stomach.

There is a very obvious and easy answer to most or all problems caused by certain foods you eat , listen to what your body is telling you "I hate this S##T and you will suffer so i can prove my point " Do not eat food that causes you and your body problems no matter how much you think you enjoy them , you only have one body , listen to it !!! :o

Of my 20 years visiting and living all over Thailand, I have never been able to purchase Rennies, settlers or Andrews liver salts.

These days, I just settle for a teaspoon full of bi-carb dissolved in a glass of warm water, followed by a good fart, that normally does the trick.

Don’t try this at home, unless accompanied by a qualified physician.

Edited by distortedlink

• 4 months later...

:D Not only do they get heartburn....but they get Ulcers as well. I know, as my Thai girlfriend suffered for many years with severe stomach pains caused by Ulcers. It took an operation to remove them from her stomach.

There is a very obvious and easy answer to most or all problems caused by certain foods you eat , listen to what your body is telling you "I hate this S##T and you will suffer so i can prove my point " Do not eat food that causes you and your body problems no matter how much you think you enjoy them , you only have one body , listen to it !!! :o

That would be nice if it was true. Nice tasting food..... especially the crispy chicken that you find for sale everywhere, can be just as dangerous. For example palm oil is used to cook lots of dishes over here but it is laden with cholesterol. All of the Thais in my company recently had medicals and more than 95% have high cholesterol! English speaking pharmacists, especially those at Boots are about as rare as a frosty spring morning over here. To be fair I have found one to be very helpful and she has found most things that I have her asked for. Gaviscon is alas not for sale over here....like Black Bean sauce?

Gelusil or Antacil will work fine.

Otherwise a liquid form also available called: "Belcid"

Baking soda dissolved in water helps as well I was told, and you could also try to drink some aplle cider.