Proper Pork Scratchings

sweetchariot

Yes its true!

And I'm not talking about those awful things the som tam sellers have. Proper freshly cooked pork scratchings, just like home. The missus just came back from the market on soi 17/ 3rd road with a big bagful for 20 baht (still warm), so I had to crack open a beer to enjoy them properly. Pure cholesterol heaven.

Apologies if you don't get it, it's a British thing. :o

Yes its true!

And I'm not talking about those awful things the som tam sellers have. Proper freshly cooked pork scratchings, just like home. The missus just came back from the market on soi 17/ 3rd road with a big bagful for 20 baht (still warm), so I had to crack open a beer to enjoy them properly. Pure cholesterol heaven.

Sorry to rub it in - I have been eating them for months

Yes a som tam seller but closest thing to real Rotherham scratchings from the pork butchers in the market - walk up S Pattaya Rd toward TukCom from crossroads with second Road - first Main soi past the main market entrance there are half a dozen food stalls on the right of the soi - 2nd stall - Enjoy if your third road supplier is out of stock.

I took a bag to Flannigan's - sat there and ate the whole bag accompanied by a pint of John Smith's and not a fat slag in sight

And I used to buy my Ben Sherman's from Rotherham market too - you fixed yours yet?

Is that what I call crackling?

Seems to be a pub nibble, but as I am seldom in UK, and even more seldom in a pub in the UK, I am out of touch.

The moo khrob is the Thai equivalent, but not the same - just not the same.

Tried describing it to my wife, but she just brought back more muu khrop.

Is that what I call crackling?

Seems to be a pub nibble, but as I am seldom in UK, and even more seldom in a pub in the UK, I am out of touch.

The moo khrob is the Thai equivalent, but not the same - just not the same.

Tried describing it to my wife, but she just brought back more muu khrop.

Thai Name - Khap Moo

Difficult to find the right.......texture Some bits crunchy, some bits meaty, some bits just downright greasy

Now Barnsly scratchings tend to be hard and crunchy

Sheffield scratchings - greasy and flacid easy to go rancid

Rotherham scratchings - well from the right place are in between a mixture of greasy and crunchy - geography probably plays a great part

Thai Name - Khap Moo

Difficult to find the right.......texture Some bits crunchy, some bits meaty, some bits just downright greasy

Now Barnsly scratchings tend to be hard and crunchy

Sheffield scratchings - greasy and flacid easy to go rancid

Rotherham scratchings - well from the right place are in between a mixture of greasy and crunchy - geography probably plays a great part

I'm talking about proper UK - I can understand Sheffield being greasy and flaccid - only their cutlery will stay firm.

Barnsley - think they play League, don't they. Never had a Union match against them.

Rotherham - well, rother you than me!

I'm talking about good old-fashioned crackling - big chunks of it. steel-hard outer part from the skin, soft greasy white fat inside. foot-long chunks you can break your teeth on.

(When I was building Su'boom the cooks there called it moo khrob / muu khrop, something like that. But this was little bits about an inch long and half that width. Some good and crunchy, others like wet string from round a bunch of flowers.

Nice one Mike, I thought somebody else would have found them first, but as I was sat there munching away and swigging on me Singha it was like a revelation, and I just had to post.

I was thinking the same, to get some in and take them down the pub.

Humph - crackling is what you would eat with your Sunday lunch, carved straight from the joint. Scratchings have been made for donkeys years, traditionally by butchers, and are a classic bar snack to have with a pint. Its basically the same stuff but cut into strips and fried, just to add a little extra cholesterol!

I have just given up Lays as I have put on a kilo or 2, and now she discovers this!

Mike - we will have to meet up for a beer sometime and compare scratchings :o

Nice one Mike, I thought somebody else would have found them first, but as I was sat there munching away and swigging on me Singha it was like a revelation, and I just had to post.

Humph - crackling is what you would eat with your Sunday lunch, carved straight from the joint. Scratchings have been made for donkeys years, traditionally by butchers, and are a classic bar snack to have with a pint. Its basically the same stuff but cut into strips and fried, just to add a little extra cholesterol!

I have just given up Lays as I have put on a kilo or 2, and now she discovers this!

So you can be scratching mine and I can be scratching yours

Now that would get us talked about especially if we did it down pub

And Humphry it's not Rother you it is usually Rother where?

Humpty - Sheffield Greasy and flacid - so you watched The Full Monty too!!

Most folks have heard of Sheffield, Barnsley, Donny and Scunny

But Rotherham - Rother Where?

Point to note all that cutlery that made Sheffield so famous was made from steel most of which came out of the iron works and steel mills of Rotherham.

Then the CHinese got in on the act - they started making cutlery with "Made in Shefield"

You knew it was crap quality and you knew it was from China cause they couldn't spell

And of course Bessamer was a Donny lad

Back on subject again - Along with a plate of scatchings how about a plate of Whelks or a bag of winkles. Theres plenty of cockles around here - in fact some would say too many cockles around the Jomtien area - but a plate of Whelks tougher the better drowned in vinegar and pepper - now wouldn't that go down a treat

So Sweet get back on your chariot and go find us some whelks

How very heartwarming the chortles and gurgles of Brits upon discovery of their renowned cuisine abroad, whether Branston Pickle, HP sauce, Coleman mustard, pickled sliced beetroot--and now delicious pig scratchings to complement lager and footie!

Luckily our forum exists to publish these blessed discoveries and the inevitable chorus of oohs and aahs. It’s becoming ever less necessary to return to blighty to enjoy proper food; in fact, we may hope for yet more emigration to Thailand.

So you can be scratching mine and I can be scratching yours

Now that would get us talked about especially if we did it down pub

And Humphry it's not Rother you it is usually Rother where?

Humpty - Sheffield Greasy and flacid - so you watched The Full Monty too!!

Most folks have heard of Sheffield, Barnsley, Donny and Scunny

But Rotherham - Rother Where?

Point to note all that cutlery that made Sheffield so famous was made from steel most of which came out of the iron works and steel mills of Rotherham.

Then the CHinese got in on the act - they started making cutlery with "Made in Shefield"

You knew it was crap quality and you knew it was from China cause they couldn't spell

And of course Bessamer was a Donny lad

Back on subject again - Along with a plate of scatchings how about a plate of Whelks or a bag of winkles. Theres plenty of cockles around here - in fact some would say too many cockles around the Jomtien area - but a plate of Whelks tougher the better drowned in vinegar and pepper - now wouldn't that go down a treat

So Sweet get back on your chariot and go find us some whelks

Prefer jellied eels. But after a night in the pub(s) anything does, really.

This isn't Brit cuisine - this is just the stuff you shove in yer gob to keep the ale down.

Brit cuisine consists of many variations - from jugged hare and pheasant through various venison dishes to beef Wellington, tripe, roast lamb, Christmas pudding, haggis, hog roast, black pudding, white pudding and so many more. Anyone for scrag end?

Yes its true!

I took a bag to Flannigan's - sat there and ate the whole bag accompanied by a pint of John Smith's and not a fat slag in sight

Were you enjoying a cigarette also at the time?

That place is full of smokers breaking the law. I have eaten there several times recently, although the food was good the smokey atmosphere was not. I won't go back until the ban is enforce as it is elsewhere, like the Pig & Whistle and Queen Vic to name just two.

Mmmmmmm just thinking about the scratchings that I'm going to buy in a few weeks in Chiang Mai. Is it just me or does everyone sell them in Chiang Mai including the airport. I see people with carrier bags full of them when returning to Bangkok

Mmmm pig meat.

Yeah, but the ones I have had in CM/ CR are the inferior things that the som tam sellers sell everywhere. This, I think, is just the fat, they are crispy but not hard and crunchy like the real thing, with skin and all.

Mmmmmmm just thinking about the scratchings that I'm going to buy in a few weeks in Chiang Mai. Is it just me or does everyone sell them in Chiang Mai including the airport. I see people with carrier bags full of them when returning to Bangkok

Mmmm pig meat.

Yeah, but the ones I have had in CM/ CR are the inferior things that the som tam sellers sell everywhere. This, I think, is just the fat, they are crispy but not hard and crunchy like the real thing, with skin and all.

\

I know what you mean the ones I'm thinking about NOW are hard and crunchy like the real thing, with skin and all, I wont buy the fat filled ones I do like a little meat on the back and a crispy outer layer yum yum

Market on Soi 17 / 3rd Road?

Do you mean the one on the corner that is mostly charcoal and kitchen goods? (NW corner)

Or the stalls on the opposite side (Eastern side) that line the silly little street behind a few shops.

Living just off Soi 17, this sounds worth investigating.

The big market on the left (coming from 3rd road) just before the corner and Lion Pub. I asked her where in the market but just got 'market' so you will have to have a hunt around.

Do you mean the one on the corner that is mostly charcoal and kitchen goods? (NW corner)

Or the stalls on the opposite side (Eastern side) that line the silly little street behind a few shops.

As a local lad! I'm sure its the market very close to the 7/11 which is situated almost opposite the Lion Pub. But on the other side of the road driving towards 3rd road.

As a local lad! I'm sure its the market very close to the 7/11 which is situated almost opposite the Lion Pub. But on the other side of the road driving towards 3rd road.

I'll have to use my eyes then.

I take the kids there for supper and just let them pick their bits and pieces.

Be back in a week, on my way to VietNam. Be nice to have some flavoursome pork after the tasteless chicken in Saudi.

Be able to have crispy-fried dog when I get there (VN) and chicken with bird-flu. But also plenty of pho.