Thaksin lands at Suvarnabhumi and taken to court

george

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe now Thailand can start to go forward after 2 years of time wasting after the coup. The army stepped in becuase, according to them, the Thai people were fed up with the Thaksin government. Then after 2 years of achieiving absolutely NOTHING, the army decided on a date for elections and then...

..well paint me purple and call me Doris! The Thais voted Thaksin's political party straight back in again!!! Surely the Thai people know best what is the better way forward for their country..?? The masses have spoken.

All those expat "experts" on here who jump on the "Thaksin is cr*p" bandwagon, just try to think back to the pre-Thaksin era (if you were here then!). Remember Banharn?? Remember Chuan?? Oh yeah, Mr.Chuan, the man solely responsible for the SE Asia crash of '97.

If you want to go back to the "good old days" then absolutely, Thaksin is indeed cr*p. Personally I would like Thailand to have a leader who can communicate with the rest of the world's powers and move Thailand forwards again.

Man you don't know much do you!

- 1 year of time lost was Thaksin being bloody minded and saying he would resign...then standing back up...then calling a rigged election that was ruled illegal and not recognised...during that time the economy ran on auto as he sorted out his Shin mess (which was in about Feb, prior to that for about 4-6 months there had been much unrest about many things including the South of Thailand, media censorship, airport and corruption deals, etc). The coup was about 14 months from start to finish

- Thaksin was in the govt leading up to the crash, and many speculate that Shin's non exposure to USD debt was the result of insider knowledge which then lead to complete dominance as his competitors were crushed by the massive speculation against the baht as it floated...many claiming that members of the Chavilit govt were the most active in this (including Thaksin as well)

- Chuan is probably the person most singlehandedly responsible for the success of the THai economy globally as of now; as he opened the markets in a steady and controlled manner during Thailand's crisis

Anyone who thinks that being anti Thaksin is the domain of the middle class of Bangkok alone need only look at the South of Thailand to know what it is like to be anti Thaksin but not have the power to stop him.

The idea of placing the choice of who should govern the country in the hands of the rural uneducated of Isaan is part of democracy, and they make up the majority of votes more than any other region.....however I don't have to agree that just because Udon/Ubol wants to elect the same people into power AGAIN as they have done for the last 20 years (the exact same families are still in power now, same as before) under a new badge, that I should just accept and like it.

Mind you, they do say that when raped, might as well lie back and enjoy it. So in that vein....

Bring it on Big Boy, me luv u long time.

Or is that too Chuwit?

Just watching the clips of him leaving the airport this morning with those 2 Man City players, greeting the screaming crowd, and thinking 'Why are they (the players) there and hasn't anybody considered security for them?' I mean if there had been a Bhuto style attack on Thaksin then the 2 players would have been killed.....surely that would have made it an international incident and the respective governments of those players would have got involved? And then i began thinking well what if that was his plan? Some kind of international human shield........

They voted for him because they are uneducated, they voted for him because they were paid to, blah, blah, blah.

Time to change the record.

It's true though.

Who cares it is the peoples choice and anything is better then a military dictatorship.

WELCOME HOME

I wonder how the military boys feel now, the Man himself is back as a superstar, with fans all over the airport, he got more people loving him than hating him etc. They (Sonthi) must be grinding their teeth, and filling up fuel in them tanks as we speak.

Ahhh, how i dream that they could just have locked him up in Klong Prem, together with his fancy-ass hi-so wife. There he could have pondered what went wrong, and when...

What a happy, happy day for Thailand!!! A fantastic slap in the face to the military junta and its right wing cronies like the PAD (People Against Democracy). Let's just hope that the military has fattened itself satisfactorily in the last 19 months and stays in their seaside villas and European chateaus for at least a brief period of time before taking the government by threat of violence once again.

Before boarding the plane in Hong Kong, Thaksin told reporters, ``I believe in the Thai justice system, especially the court system. Normally in justice systems everywhere, a person is innocent until proved guilty.''

A man with a PhD in criminology should know that this is but a myth. A person charged with a crime is a suspect who can be declared neither innocent nor guilty until investigation and trial are complete.

Oh yeah, Mr.Chuan, the man solely responsible for the SE Asia crash of '97.

:D yelling the secret message into the silent forest, uh?

...you haven't done your homework! But after all it's only a forum.... :D

:D

One man solely responsible for SE Asia crash, I nearly spat out my lunch. Poor Chuan, he wasn't even in power when it happened. :o

Anyway, back to Thaksin now, I'm sure that he's done a deal as there is no way that he would have come back if he thought he was going to be found guilty.

What a happy, happy day for Thailand!!! A fantastic slap in the face to the military junta and its right wing cronies like the PAD (People Against Democracy). Let's just hope that the military has fattened itself satisfactorily in the last 19 months and stays in their seaside villas and European chateaus for at least a brief period of time before taking the government by threat of violence once again.

The right wing PAD....loooool

They took him straight to court! Why didn't they send him to pay his respects to the families of hundreds of people he had murdered in the South and all over Thailand.

LiveSteam

rich people don't stay in jail or pay respect for some poor people.....

Before boarding the plane in Hong Kong, Thaksin told reporters, ``I believe in the Thai justice system, especially the court system. Normally in justice systems everywhere, a person is innocent until proved guilty.''

A man with a PhD in criminology should know that this is but a myth. A person charged with a crime is a suspect who can be declared neither innocent nor guilty until investigation and trial are complete.

I've 'edited' one or two Masters and PHD chapters from Thai students working in the civil service on scholarship to the UK, that they have for a large part been re-written by myself.

It is a fairly safe bet that Dr T would have simply had someone write the majority of it for him.

I believe in the Thai justice system, especially the court system. Normally in justice systems everywhere, a person is innocent until proved guilty.''

Does this mean he will be kept in Shackles until his trial? Will he have to go to the pointing room?

One man solely responsible for SE Asia crash, I nearly spat out my lunch. Poor Chuan, he wasn't even in power when it happened. :o

Anyway, back to Thaksin now, I'm sure that he's done a deal as there is no way that he would have come back if he thought he was going to be found guilty.

Agree or not agree. SEA crash start to snowball in 92, when Chuan is in power. That is why so many people regard him as the the man soley responsible for it. Chavalit guilty only for not quickly undo what Chuan did. But politics is always dirty, not only in Thailand. The most successful one is the one who can hide the most truth.

Thaksin kisses the grounds of his motherland upon emerging from VIP room

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra prostrated to touch the grounds after he stepped out of the VIP room to greet thounsands of his supporters at 10.15am.

Flanked by Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, he was surrounded by security guards and quickly walked to his motorcade.

-- The Nation 2008-02-28

Thaksin to hold press conference at 1 pm

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is expected today to hold a press confernece at 1 pm at the Peninsula Hotel following completing his bail review at the Supreme Court, his spokeswoman Sansanee Nakpong said on Thursday.

Thaksin has been quoted as saying he wants to attend a match by his Manchester City Football Club on March 15, indicating his first overseas trip after returning home.

-- The Nation 2008-02-28

My new...across the river neighbor! :o

Emotional return for ex-Thai PM

Former Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra kisses the ground at Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok, Thailand (28/02/2008)

_44456325_-444.jpgMr Thaksin has said he has no plans to return to politics

Former Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra has returned to his homeland, 17 months after being deposed in a military coup.

Thousands of flag-waving supporters, including key figures in the newly elected government, gathered at Bangkok's main airport to greet him.

Mr Thaksin was taken straight to court to face charges of abuse of power during his time in office - charges he insists are politically motivated.

He was granted bail and told not to leave Thailand without permission.

Mr Thaksin has said he intends to stay out of politics now he is back in the country, but correspondents say there are fears his return could lead to political turmoil.

Opponents' fears

The 58-year-old billionaire businessman had tears in his eyes as he greeted his supporters, who were cheering and waving signs saying "We love Thaksin!"

As he left the airport, he knelt and touched the ground with his forehead in a sign of respect.

Speaking to the BBC's Andrew Harding on the flight from Hong Kong, Mr Thaksin expressed optimism that he would "definitely" be cleared of corruption charges against him.

Supporters of former Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra at Bangkok airport, 28 Feb 2008

_44456171_welcome203ap.jpgA large crowd of supporters was waiting for Mr Thaksin in Bangkok

"I've done nothing wrong, why worry?" he said. "I have to restore my reputation which has been tarnished by the coup."

Mr Thaksin's party, Thai Rak Thai, was outlawed following the military coup in September 2006, and he was personally banned from politics for five years.

When asked if he would be pulling the political strings in Thailand, Mr Thaksin told the BBC that he had retired from politics.

"I think in my life I have devoted a lot to my country and I think I have done a lot politically. No more politics," he said.

He insisted he wanted to live peacefully as a "normal citizen", with no desire to seek revenge against the military leaders who forced him out of power.

He said that he now wished to focus on his family and his football interests. He owns Manchester City and travelled to Thailand with two of the British club's players.

He is also likely to spend time trying to secure the release of $1600m (£800m) from his frozen bank accounts.

Lying low?

But his opponents fear he has returned to Thailand to influence events from behind-the-scenes.

The People Power Party (PPP), which won elections in December last year, includes many of Mr Thaksin's followers, and critics say that the new prime minister, Samak Sundaravej, is just a proxy for Mr Thaksin himself.

Our correspondent says the former prime minister will need to lie low for a while now he is back in Thailand.

But it is unlikely he will be able to avoid the media spotlight, even if he wants to.

-BBC News Asia Pacific 28 February 2008, 08:07 GMT

What's with the footballers coming with him?

I can think of 1.6 billion reasons for him to return.

GunnyD

Agree or not agree. SEA crash start to snowball in 92, when Chuan is in power. That is why so many people regard him as the the man soley responsible for it. Chavalit guilty only for not quickly undo what Chuan did. But politics is always dirty, not only in Thailand. The most successful one is the one who can hide the most truth.

oh, go on, spoil us...

what did chuan do in 1992 that was the beginning of the end?? When I said 'do' I mean, apart from the fact that he was PM at the time, what policies did he implement, what were their effects, and how did this lead to rich thai's borrowing offshore at low interest rates to invest here in thailand?

Go on, knock us all out. You sound like you know what you are talking about...not.

a brave man .

A brave man !! I don't think so. He wouldn't have come back in a million years if he wasn't sure the deck was already stacked in his favour. To think he'd risk a long term in jail by coming back here is foolish thinking in my view.

EXACTLY. Anyone who thinks he will serve his due sentence is naive.

The Mega Rich are above the law, they simply pay their way out.

oh, go on, spoil us...

what did chuan do in 1992 that was the beginning of the end?? When I said 'do' I mean, apart from the fact that he was PM at the time, what policies did he implement, what were their effects, and how did this lead to rich thai's borrowing offshore at low interest rates to invest here in thailand?

Go on, knock us all out. You sound like you know what you are talking about...not.

If you don't want to listen to other people opinion, don't.....

That opinion is not from me, but rather in general how ppl sees it.....

You sound like you do not know what you are talking about .... you are.

_44456225_d1336c35-b2fa-4b07-b4b9-40a6a1a1a809.jpg

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has returned to Thailand after 17 months in self-imposed exile. He was deposed in a coup in September 2006.

_44456252_-292.jpg

The court bailed Mr Thaksin and told him not to leave Thailand. He has denied all the allegations, saying they are politically-motivated.

_44456250_-270.jpg

Mr Thaksin still has a huge following in the country. Thousands of his supporters, as well as key government figures, gathered at the airport to greet him.

_44456272_-318.jpg

The crowd erupted in applause when Mr Thaksin appeared. Some people had waited 10 hours to see him, waving banners saying "we love you" and "welcome home".

_44456246_-210.jpg

Two players from Mr Thaksin's British football team, Manchester City, were travelling with him. Mr Thaksin says he now wants to focus his energy on developing the club.

_44456278_-381.jpg

Mr Thaksin says he will not get involved in politics again, but analysts say with so many of his allies in power, he will have a huge influence over the running of the country.

BBC NEWS In Pictures 28 Feb 2008

What I wonder is did any of his supporters faint, like at a Barack Obama speech.

Edited by gunnyd