Non-immigrant O Not Feasible

I spent the entire last year in Thailand on a non-immigrant O, but now they are refusing me a new one. Is it possible to get a 6 month tourist visa, and then get another one somewhere near Thailand (Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, etc)?

I know Thailand has been changing the rules about coming and going from the country - something about X numbers of entries within Y amount of time. Is it possible for me to simply get 2 consecutive 6 month tourist visas? Is this what people are doing?

Thanks.

Who is refusing you a visa and on what basis are you asking for the visa?

A tourist visa is for a 30 or 60 day entry and can be extended for 30 days. Currently Vientiane will issue up to a two entry which would cover almost six months with one exit and two extensions if you are allowed 60 days on a tourist visa entry.

The only firm restrictions are those of 90 days in a six month period for visa exempt entry. There is no general limitation on visas issued by Consulates as to number or period of stay - but some Consulates may have there own rules.

A tourist visa is for a 30 or 60 day entry and can be extended for 30 days. Currently Vientiane will issue up to a two entry which would cover almost six months with one exit and two extensions if you are allowed 60 days on a tourist visa entry.

The only firm restrictions are those of 90 days in a six month period for visa exempt entry. There is no general limitation on visas issued by Consulates as to number or period of stay - but some Consulates may have there own rules.

The consulate is refusing me the non-immigrant O. I wasn't asking on any basis other than I wanted a long stay visa in Thailand - this was the only basis I ever needed before. Going in and out of the country every month never cut it for me - I always preferred having a long stay visa, because it is much less hassle. Now they tell me I need to either be married to a Thai girl, or going to school in Thailand, before I can have the non-immigrant O.

Not sure what "visa exempt entry" is, but if you are saying I don't have to worry about anything as long as I get a tourist visa, it sounds like I may have my answer (get 2 six month tourist visas back to back). Thing is, I really don't want to fool with the hassle of this tourist visa thing.

Thanks.

The consulate is refusing me the non-immigrant O. I wasn't asking on any basis other than I wanted a long stay visa in Thailand - this was the only basis I ever needed before. Going in and out of the country every month never cut it for me - I always preferred having a long stay visa, because it is much less hassle. Now they tell me I need to either be married to a Thai girl, or going to school in Thailand, before I can have the non-immigrant O.

Not sure what "visa exempt entry" is, but if you are saying I don't have to worry about anything as long as I get a tourist visa, it sounds like I may have my answer (get 2 six month tourist visas back to back). Thing is, I really don't want to fool with the hassle of this tourist visa thing.

Thanks.

A Visa exempt entry is the 30 days most people get if they come without a Visa.

Get a double entry Tourist Visa from Vientiane. After 60 days you can get another 30 days at immigration office. When that runs out do a border run and come back with your second entry. Extend that again at Immigration. Total =6 months.

You do not say what nationality you are, or where you are applying for the Non Imm O visa.

Back in your home country you may have better luck?

I am in my home country right now (USA). They will not give me a non-immigrant O.

If I get a 6 month tourist visa in the US, where outside of Thailand would I go to get another one? I know some city is listed in a post above - "Vientiane" - but I have no idea where it is, or and how much of a hassle it is? Where is Vientiane?

Is this the recommended approach? Two back-to-back 6 month tourist visas?

Thanks.

You do not say what nationality you are, or where you are applying for the Non Imm O visa.

Back in your home country you may have better luck?

I am in my home country right now (USA). They will not give me a non-immigrant O.

If I get a 6 month tourist visa in the US, where outside of Thailand would I go to get another one? I know some city is listed in a post above - "Vientiane" - but I have no idea where it is, or and how much of a hassle it is? Where is Vientiane?

Is this the recommended approach? Two back-to-back 6 month tourist visas?

Thanks.

Vientiane is the capital of Laos one of the neighbouring countries around Thailand, the others being Myanmar, Cambodia and Malaysia.

It is just over an hour's plane flight from Bangkok. You can also go to Vientiane by crossing the bridge between Thailand and Laos north of Nongkai.

From Bangkok to Nongkai, either a train or a bus. From Nongkai, a mixture of taxis and/or buses. You need to purchase a visa for Laos at the border

There isalso a report of a direct bus from Khon Kaen to Vientiane but you must have a visa for Laos (obtainable either in Bangkok or in Khon Kaen)

You DO NOT GET a 6months visa in the USA, you get a tourist visa valid for 6 months BUT each entry is only for 60 days extendible each by 30 days giving you in principle a maximum of 180 days in Thailand if you plan your entries and extension right. This is assuming you get at least a 2 entries tourist visa.

The 2 entries tourist visa is available in Vientiane for the moment. So at least in theory a back to back tourist visa is possible.

Was there any reasons given for not letting you have a Non-Im O ? Which Consulate was that in the US ?

Was there any reasons given for not letting you have a Non-Im O ? Which Consulate was that in the US ?

The reason was that "they" (Thailand) are "cracking down." They said that non-immigrant Os are now only issued to people who are married to a Thai, or people who are going to school in Thailand. It was the consulate in Denver, Colorado.

Thanks.

Edited by sbaker8688

Denver recently cracked down on Non Imm O's . Here's a quote from the patayaexpats forum:

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Donald W. Ringby

Update on Denver, Colorado "Christina Lee" <[email protected]>

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

We are trying to tell customers who are trying to obtain a visa, to go to their

nearest consulate within the state they reside in. We will accept travelers

who are within the state of Colorado or neighboring cities who do not have a

consulate in their area.

We are trying to make customers understand that we will not be issuing

visas as easily as we had in the past due to the changes that have taken

place since October 2006. We are trying to follow the rules the best we can

per the Thai Embassy.

We do not want customers misinformed that we can issue ANY TYPE of visa

easily if requested or we will take applications from those who

reside outside our area. We will try to ask the customer to provide as

much documentation as possible pertaining to the type of visa applied for.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

However, try the four honorary consulates in Texas (phone and email info can be googled). Tell them you're interested in Thai culture or some such blather. If you phone, have a recording of Hank Williams playing in the background (NOT! the Dixie Chicks :o )

I'd try Houston first. They're very easy to work with ('tho I've always had marriage as a reason.) Julie Richardson is the Vice Consul and her assistant is Michelle Aguilera. They can be reached at: 713-229-0636 Ext. 1101

I'd try Houston first. They're very easy to work with ('tho I've always had marriage as a reason.) Julie Richardson is the Vice Consul and her assistant is Michelle Aguilera. They can be reached at: 713-229-0636 Ext. 1101

Will try everything suggested. Thank you very much.