Visa Mess

Quick question:

I used all of my 30 day transit stamps in July, August, and Septemper of 07. I entered Thailand again in October with a tourist visa, that my school switched to a Non Immigrant B. Things have been crazy with all the new teaching laws, and my school hasn't been able to get the work permit yet. My NonIm B was extended by seven days last monday which means it expires again in 3 days.

Now, my school says I can just do another transit visa because my Non Immigrant B visa cleans the slate as far as transit visas are concerened. I'm not so sure this is the case. Furthermore, wouldn't it make sense to just go ahead and get another Non Immigrant B visa if I will be working here again next year?

OK, I'm pretty sure you'll be ok with another visa exemption (30 day stamp) as a new six month period is now in effect (6 months from your first VE entry puts us in January).

BUT

I agree with you, why not get another non-B particularly as you will be working (not permitted on a VE stamp of course), obviously depends when you will start working, "next year"?

I don't teach, but you often read of schools not getting round to organising a work permit (and thus causing their staff to work illegally) for considerable periods. If they won't provide the paperwork for another non-b I would be questioning their motives.

As first entry was July the six month period is over (with or without the B visa) so you should be able to obtain visa exempt entry. Yes, it would make sense to provide you with the paperwork to obtain a new non immigrant B visa but they probably don't have it. Most Consulates seem to require that application for work permit receipt be submitted to a non immigrant B visa these days so they will probably have you use the visa exempt entry to make the application and then when receipt is obtained tell you to go out to obtain the non immigrant B visa. Suspect to goes to them not wanting to pay you, or continue employment, during school break. But if you still hold work permit then I have no idea why they can not provide the other paperwork for you to obtain the visa.

As first entry was July the six month period is over (with or without the B visa) so you should be able to obtain visa exempt entry. Yes, it would make sense to provide you with the paperwork to obtain a new non immigrant B visa but they probably don't have it. Most Consulates seem to require that application for work permit receipt be submitted to a non immigrant B visa these days so they will probably have you use the visa exempt entry to make the application and then when receipt is obtained tell you to go out to obtain the non immigrant B visa. Suspect to goes to them not wanting to pay you, or continue employment, during school break. But if you still hold work permit then I have no idea why they can not provide the other paperwork for you to obtain the visa.

They're still paying me during the break, and I've been asked to sign a contract for next year. The problem is that I was never given a work permit because the teaching license was never issued. The department that handles our visas had a major personnel overhaul a few months ago, and I think/hope this is merely a result of that.

You are aware of your legal (illegal) position I hope.

Yep, and honestly, not too thrilled about it. Of course, I've been kept out of the loop and been extremely confused throughout this who process, so maybe I've got things wrong. All I know is that the new laws have thrown a wrench into the whole process, and we're now having to do everything on the spur of the moment. That being said, it is NOT the way our school typically does things; they have a history of placing a HUGE amount of importance on making sure we are all legal.

Anyway, thanks a ton for your response. It makes me feel good that I won't be locked out of the country once I cross the border.

Anyway, thanks a ton for your response. It makes me feel good that I won't be locked out of the country once I cross the border.

I wouldnt be worried about being locked out rather being lockeds in the country, working without a work permit and on 30 day tourist visa's is a serious offence, a friend of mine just got caught in Chaing Mai and had to pay 100,000 tea money to make it go..

If you've signed the contract, ask for a copy of it and a letter from your school and go to a friendly embassy or consulate (your home country, Australia etc.). That is usually sufficient to get a Non-B. If you absolutely cannot go back to your home country, head to a nearby consulate and get a tourist visa, you will be able to convert later in Bangkok (as you've done before) once your school gets all your papers in order, but I would suggest that you tell your school that you are not happy about this and if they screw up again you should look for a new school.

Don't work on a tourist visa or visa exempt stamp, that is just asking for trouble. Working on a Non-B without a work permit is a bit of a murky area, you aren't violating immigration rules, so detention and deportation are not your biggest worry. You are violating labour laws, so a fine and/or some jail time would be the worst punishment.

Looking at your entries, I don't think you will have a problem getting 3 visa exempt entries again.