Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

Samak is obviously not the bets person to have running the country right now, but he was put in through democratic process, and it is going to be nigh on impossible for the opposition to defeat him in parliament without at least some PPP crossover Even with all the coalition partners the Dems would only have a bare majority and sickness absence and abstentions probably make that not enough. In this one what will be telling is how much or little the PPP enforcers try to ensure total turnout and a totally loyal party vote. It is basically up to the PPP whether they want Samak to remain or go, and we should know in advance by their behaviour if they want him or not. My guess is they darent chaneg him now but who knows.

Can i expand on the above

Whatever Thaksin wants the PPP will follow.

For the present time he will probably want Samak to stay where he is and continue his surrogate role, then change him later for another fall guy who cannot resist the lure of mega baht.

The way their ducking and diving, i don,t think the timing is right, otherwise it,s going to be more of the same, somewhere in the not to distant future.

As nothing serious has happened yet, it isn,t imperative yet as far as the present fall guys / dummies are concerned

IMHO of course.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samak is obviously not the bets person to have running the country right now, but he was put in through democratic process, and it is going to be nigh on impossible for the opposition to defeat him in parliament without at least some PPP crossover Even with all the coalition partners the Dems would only have a bare majority and sickness absence and abstentions probably make that not enough. In this one what will be telling is how much or little the PPP enforcers try to ensure total turnout and a totally loyal party vote. It is basically up to the PPP whether they want Samak to remain or go, and we should know in advance by their behaviour if they want him or not. My guess is they darent chaneg him now but who knows.

If enough of them break ranks now to put Abhisit into power, the democrats would only rule by the tiniest majority and would soon crumble with fresh elections as the only outcome. Odds are that PPP would once again win such an election possibly with an outright majority since a lot of voters would distrust the coalition parties that jump ship when the heat comes on. I cant see much incentive for the coalition partners to change sides right now.

Yet another U-Turn for the erratic driver Samak... but not without making his usual threats of a violent crackdown...

Thailand: PM Lashes Out At Protesters But Ready To Resign If Parliament Votes Against Him

BANGKOK, THAILAND:

But alliance spokesman Suriyasai Katasila said Saturday even Samak's resignation would not satisfy their demands.

"The People's Alliance for Democracy believes that the government's decision to allow a no-confidence motion in Parliament is a political game to lessen tension. But the decision has come too late," Suriyasai said.

He said even if Samak resigned the protesters would still want to root out his People's Power Party, which they consider a reincarnation of Thaksin's disbanded earlier party.

- Associated Press

So now PAD's demand has expanded. They want PPP to go and not ONLY Samak ?

If enough of them break ranks now to put Abhisit into power, the democrats would only rule by the tiniest majority and would soon crumble with fresh elections as the only outcome. Odds are that PPP would once again win such an election possibly with an outright majority since a lot of voters would distrust the coalition parties that jump ship when the heat comes on. I cant see much incentive for the coalition partners to change sides right now.

I tend to think, barring the unlikely national untiy government, that a reshuffled PPP led government would be the best course. As you say a non-PPP government based around the Dems would be very unstable and weak and we would then see the other side besiege government house at some point. As you say a new election would probably only bring simialr results and as after all it is only 6 months since the last one there really is no need to hold a new one. That really only leaves a bit of a reshuffle to maybe instill a bit more confidence that pressing economic issues will be better dealt with and maybe confrontation lessened. However, with the polarisation and personal nature of it so strong it may be that even if ineffective no government minister will take responsibility for their inaction and nobody will hold their feet to the fire. Similarly whatever happens on the government side the PAD may find another reason to continue rallying. Right now we could do with everyone to take a step back even if that means all sides making sacrifices and I think there are more than two sides right now.

I think PPP is counting on a big win in a censure debate, otherwise Chai wouldn't have agreed to accept the motion so quickly. If they had other ideas up their sleeves they'd needed more time to consult with coalition partners. As it stands, they seem to be sure Democrats will be isolated when it comes to a vote.

Samak's win is the worst possible outcome, it will signal the beginning of a long and protracted war between PAD and the government with no end in sight.

I think PPP is counting on a big win in a censure debate, otherwise Chai wouldn't have agreed to accept the motion so quickly. If they had other ideas up their sleeves they'd needed more time to consult with coalition partners. As it stands, they seem to be sure Democrats will be isolated when it comes to a vote.

Samak's win is the worst possible outcome, it will signal the beginning of a long and protracted war between PAD and the government with no end in sight.

Yes. Someone pointed out that by positioning the budget vote to after the censure vote it more or less forced the coalition allies to back Samak.

The problem is if the government takes some hits and then party line votes em all through. It will look confrontational even if it is perfectly valid. We should also watch Samak. If he loses it during the debate anything could happen.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Missle HUB of Asia...

Samak revives talks on weapons centre

China to transfer missile production technology

PM Samak has dusted off the Thaksin Shinawatra administration's "Missiles For Security" project to turn the Defence Ministry's weapon production centre into a Weapon Production Co. Samak floated the idea of missile production to ensure national security after he returned from China. He said the military would import Chinese gunpowder for production of missiles and other ammunition. China agreed to assist Thailand in transferring its technology for production of missiles for tanks, vessels and planes, he said. The Weapon Production Co was first proposed during the Thaksin administration when the Lopburi army base's weapon production centre was upgraded into the ministry's weapon production centre.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/060708_News/06Jul2008_news04.php

If I remember the numbers right, Abhisit would have a majority of 4 people. Impossible to make a stable government with that.

The only options would if a part of the PPP split away and change sides. But they wouldn't do it for free. So that government wouldn't be very good as well.

New elections would than kill the small parties. As you told the voter would be either vote for PPP or Democrats. So even with less support PPP would get more votes I think.

Than the discussion about vote buying would start again. Basically everything the same as before.

The new Missle HUB of Asia...

Samak revives talks on weapons centre

China to transfer missile production technology

PM Samak has dusted off the Thaksin Shinawatra administration's "Missiles For Security" project to turn the Defence Ministry's weapon production centre into a Weapon Production Co. Samak floated the idea of missile production to ensure national security after he returned from China. He said the military would import Chinese gunpowder for production of missiles and other ammunition. China agreed to assist Thailand in transferring its technology for production of missiles for tanks, vessels and planes, he said. The Weapon Production Co was first proposed during the Thaksin administration when the Lopburi army base's weapon production centre was upgraded into the ministry's weapon production centre.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/060708_News/06Jul2008_news04.php

thats great: "Chinese weapons might be cheap, but there are question marks over their quality, he said"

As if Thailand is the hub of quality.....

An interesting take by Shawn Crispin as ever in the A-Times.

It covers the intriguing Samak-Anupong-Royalist axis among other things.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/JF24Ae01.html

The article is from beginning to end nonsense.

"The protests reached a chaotic crescendo on Friday, when a group of between 5,000 and 8,000 protesters overran police cordons and set up camp in front of Government House"

5.000-8.000 is complete nonsense. You can discuss if it was 100.000 or 500.000 (Reuters 550.000).

Alone the labour union came with 10.000.

"The majority of the 5,000 or so gathered at the protest site on Sunday were elderly and from provincial areas rather than Bangkok."

It is now kind of fashion for young people to be there, majority in the night are young people who come after work.

"King Bhumibol's apparent - if not cryptic - support for Samak will also likely stiffen his resolve against opposition criticism, including a grilling from the senate on his handling of the economy on Monday and an opposition Democrat party-led no-confidence motion scheduled for this week, which will take direct aim at the premier and likely echo many of the PAD's charges."

comlete nonsense

"The protests reached a chaotic crescendo on Friday, when a group of between 5,000 and 8,000 protesters overran police cordons and set up camp in front of Government House"

5.000-8.000 is complete nonsense. You can discuss if it was 100.000 or 500.000 (Reuters 550.000).

"The majority of the 5,000 or so gathered at the protest site on Sunday were elderly and from provincial areas rather than Bangkok."

It is now kind of fashion for young people to be there, majority in the night are young people who come after work.

"King Bhumibol's apparent - if not cryptic - support for Samak will also likely stiffen his resolve against opposition criticism, including a grilling from the senate on his handling of the economy on Monday and an opposition Democrat party-led no-confidence motion scheduled for this week, which will take direct aim at the premier and likely echo many of the PAD's charges."

comlete nonsense

Shawn Crispin is a serious commentator, not always right in every particular, but almost always worth listening to.The article in question seems to me to be broadly correct, though I would place a question mark over the support point, even if cryptically conveyed.

comlete nonsense

Shawn Crispin is a serious commentator, not always right in every particular, but almost always worth listening to.The article in question seems to me to be broadly correct, though I would place a question mark over the support point, even if cryptically conveyed.

And on the amount of people....I have doubts on the 550.000 but the 5.000-8.000 are also wrong.

At the evenings it is full with young people (but not on the day)

So in my opinion all in that article is more or less complete nonsense.

I am very sorry that there is no unbiased information.

From that event I could find:

more than 500 people

5000 people

around 20.000

tens of thousands

hundreds of thousands

Almost a Million.

Seems no newspaper or TV station is shy of sending complete nonsense.

A rough estimation is simple to do. You take the sqm which can be estimated with google earth

Than you estimate people/sqm (there are example pictures to estimate).

Than you get figures which might be +/- 20 %

Amongst its other shortcomings, it's a toxic waste zone... no wonder Samak likes it...

Somsak likes new Parliament in Klong Toei idea

Deputy House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont agreed with Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's idea to build new Parliament at the oil depot in Klong Toei.

He said the location was interesting because it is on the bank of the Chao Phya River. The only problem he foresaw was that it might take at least three to five years to evacuate over 1,000 people living nearby. He dismissed concern over the problem that the soil there is not suitable for the construction because it is saturated with oil. :D :D *sounds perfect place to build on??* He said Shell and Esso would find solutions over the problems.

Samak on Saturday led House Speaker Chai Chidchob, Senate Speaker Prasopsuk Boondej and their deputies to visit the 200-rai oil depot at Klong Toey port.

He tried to convince them to select the area owned by the State Railway Authority as a new site for Parliament. The Speakers and Deputies had earlier agreed to select the army ordnance depot in Nonthaburi for the site.

Samak said he preferred this location and he would be the one who would approve the construction budget. :D*my way or the highway*

- The Nation (today)

================================================================================

How many land title deeds have ALREADY be speculated on and purchased? :o

Edited by sriracha john

Amongst its other shortcomings, it's a toxic waste zone... no wonder Samak likes it...

Somsak likes new Parliament in Klong Toei idea

Deputy House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont agreed with Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's idea to build new Parliament at the oil depot in Klong Toei.

He said the location was interesting because it is on the bank of the Chao Phya River. The only problem he foresaw was that it might take at least three to five years to evacuate over 1,000 people living nearby. He dismissed concern over the problem that the soil there is not suitable for the construction because it is saturated with oil. :D :D *sounds perfect place to build on??* He said Shell and Esso would find solutions over the problems.

Samak on Saturday led House Speaker Chai Chidchob, Senate Speaker Prasopsuk Boondej and their deputies to visit the 200-rai oil depot at Klong Toey port.

He tried to convince them to select the area owned by the State Railway Authority as a new site for Parliament. The Speakers and Deputies had earlier agreed to select the army ordnance depot in Nonthaburi for the site.

Samak said he preferred this location and he would be the one who would approve the construction budget. :D*my way or the highway*

- The Nation (today)

================================================================================

How many land title deeds have ALREADY be speculated on and purchased? :o

Is "evacuation" the latest euphemism for "forcibly evict". Mind you, 3-5 years is slow by even normal Thai standards of kicking the poor out of their homes.

Do you suppose Shell and Esso have been consulted over helping Samak with his little problem?

He's obviously confident that he's going to be around for some time to come to skim this project, if the go-ahead is given (unlikely given the record of other Parliament-moving proposals in the past). What happened to the Don Muang and Thai Melon factory proposals before? I rather like the idea myself that Sarit put forward of moving the whole seat of govt to Petchabun, lock, stock and two smoking barrels. Wouldn't have to worry about the humungous costs of protecting the capital from sea level rise and a measured retreat could be put in place. Thailand could be a beacon to the world in forward planning if this was sensibly implemented. :D

Youd think they could find a lump of land without over 1000 people living on it. Maybe we could christen it the new Klong Toei slum. Or imagine some hadean fiery end as all that soaked in oil gets set ablaze by some dodgy feudal master MP lighting his fag up and incinerating the whole parliament and everyone inside.

Anyway before we get too excited guess the next government will change the site or spec to suit their immediate pecuniary needs and their nominee construction and toxic waste disposal companies same as this one.

Actually now I think of it why not develop the site as cheap housing for the slum dwellers and leave the current plans for sticking the parliament outside Bangkok alone? Then everyone could be happy except all those dandy MPs whose mia nois only like to reside in Bangkok.

Too late now to snatch up ANY properties because...

Government to Decide on Location of New Parliament Today

The final decision on where the new Parliament will be relocated is expected to be made today.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has called a meeting of House representatives to decide on the issue while the Opposition leader was unable to personally attend the meeting.

Before he attended the meeting, Deputy House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont says he believes a decision will be made today on where the new Parliament will be built.

A joint meeting has been scheduled between Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, the Senate Speaker, the House Speaker and the Opposition Leader. The delegates are expected to come to a decision on the new location for Parliament today.

Three potential sites have been shortlisted. These are the Army ordnance depot fronting the Chao Phraya River in Nonthaburi, the plot vacated by a textile factory in Pathum Thani's Rangsit distrct, and the oil depot at Klong Toei. All the locations have unobstructed views of the Chao Phraya river.

During his weekly televised address, Prime Minister Samak has indicated that he prefers the oil depot at Klong Toei. PM Samak is adamant the new Parliament should be located in the vicinity of Bangkok, *sorry plachon* but admits the presence of low-income communities in the area could present a problem.

However, one of the biggest concerns about the old oil depot being the new location for Parliament is the remaining oil residue in the ground. :D :D Somsak, however, brushed aside the concern saying Shell will be responsible for restoring the land to its original condition before it is expropriated back. :o

Prime Minister Samak declined to speak to reporters before he attended the meeting while Opposition Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has sent Democrat Deputy Leader Wittaya Kaewparadai to attend the meeting in his place.

- Thailand Outlook (today)

PM says he will neither resign nor dissolve parliament

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej confirmed to members of the People Power Party (PPP) that he will neither resign nor dissolve the parliament to escape the ongoing political problems.

After meeting party MPs, PPP Secretary-General Surapong Suebwonglee quoted Samak on the latter's stance that the PM will neither quit nor dissolve the parliament to avoid mounting political pressures.

Surapong says the meeting did not discuss a Cabinet reshuffle, but admitted that the government needs to appoint new ministers to replace three ministers who had resigned.

The three ministers include Foreign Affairs Minister Noppadon Pattama, Prime Minister's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair, and Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsab. However, he says he does not know when the appointments will take place as they depend on the premier.

Meanwhile, PPP Spokesman Kuthep Saikrachang said the premier called on the party members to be confident in his administration and affirmed that he would consult with them before making any political decisions. He also requested them to be united.

The spokesman also said the party will resolve the ongoing political problems step by step and the premier will talk about results of the party meeting today during his weekly TV show on NBT this Sunday.

- ThaiNews / 11-07-08

=================================================

Shame the country can't hear these things directly from the Prime Minister himself, but instead have to wait for his once a week, one-hour-limit television show to hear the opinions of their Leader. Doesn't do much to reassure the nation during these tumultuous times to be told, "just wait 5 days to find out.

btw, Chaiya didn't resign, he was fired by the courts. He refused to resign.

Edited by sriracha john

Disgusting news reporting last evening on Suwarnabhumi TV channel, the news anchor were discussing and both agreed that Jakaprob, Noppadon and Chaya had resigned for medical reasons. :o Disposable television fools.

seriously?? (mentioning medical reasons!). That's unbelievable typical Thaksin clan!

Suwarnabhum TV channel? You mean PTV? Are they already online (and how to receive?), and trying to distribute their lies?

cheers

NMT :D

Edited by nomoretalksin

Disgusting news reporting last evening on Suwarnabhumi TV channel, the news anchor were discussing and both agreed that Jakaprob, Noppadon and Chaya had resigned for medical reasons. :o Disposable television fools.

seriously?? (mentioning medical reasons!). That's unbelievable typical Thaksin clan!

Suwarnabhum TV channel? You mean PTV? Are they already online (and how to receive?), and trying to distribute their lies?

cheers

NMT :D

Not PTV, this is Suwanabhum channel I get on local cable, quite a few Thaksin ass licking channels around as my wife likes to call them.

PTV are getting free airtime from MVTV, old Thaksin buddies.

His zombie followers are rapidly dwindling as it seems the PPP/TRT infected have no immunity against the PAD. :D

If the court can find him guilty and stick him in jail, because of face, not many will still want to associate with him and they'll drop him as quickly as he dropped them when he used them so often in the past.

It's Sunday, so that means it's time for the Samak Cartoon Show... and this week's episode is a doozie... it's right back to amending the Constitution...

Thai PM vows to amend charter

BANGKOK (Reuters - 13 July) - Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, who lost two ministers after tough court rulings, said on Sunday he would rewrite the constitution, a move likely to intensify street protests to oust him.

The embattled premier, whose government is threatened by a series of lawsuits, also announced that he would reshuffle his cabinet and unveil an economic stimulus package on Tuesday.

Samak blamed the current crisis on the 2007 constitution which gives judges more oversight powers in the political arena.

"As Buddha says we must tackle sufferings at their causes, we have to amend this constitution that is causing this crisis," Samak, a devout Buddhist, said on his weekly TV show.

Any move to amend the charter could intensify a nearly two-month old street campaign, whose leaders accuse the government of seeking to protect Thaksin from corruption charges. "It will only upset more people and invite them into the streets," Ramkhamhaeng University analyst Boonyakiat Karavekphan said, referring to the street protests led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

Samak's remarks could trigger further selling of Thai shares, which have fallen nearly 16 percent since the PAD launched their campaign 7 weeks ago.

The government's fight for its political survival may also divert attention from an economy reeling from decade-high inflation and stuttering growth, analysts said.

Analysts said Samak's insistence to amend the charter could attract more people to the nearly two-month street rallies, whose leaders have been accusing the government of trying to whitewash its wrongdoings through changing the constitution. Ramkhamhaeng University analyst Boonyakiat Karavekphan said, "It will only upset more people and invite them to the streets."

Shrugging off the hundreds of street protesters camping out less than a mile (km) from his office calling him to quit, Samak said he would stay on and launch a "major" reshuffle to strengthen his cabinet with more competent people, but did not say when.

"It has been only five months for these rookie ministers, though many of them are veteran politicians, therefore I will continue to perform my duty," Samak, 73, said in his weekly television address, 40 minutes longer than usual.

"Many good or competent people don't want to board this ship as they are afraid it will capsize very quickly," he said.

Rhm2.jpg

Thai prime minister vows to fight

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP - July 13) — Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, whose government faces streets protests and a barrage of corruption allegations, vowed Sunday to amend the post-coup constitution, despite strong political opposition.

In his weekly television program, Samak also said he would go through with an anticipated Cabinet reshuffle but gave no details.

Samak blamed the constitution for a spate of problems confronting his government, including legal action that has forced the resignations of three cabinet ministers.

Samak has been accused of trying to change the constitution to hold onto power and to prevent ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra from facing corruption-related charges. Opponents charge that Samak and his People's Power Party are merely proxies of Thaksin, who still wields the real power behind the scenes.

Samak said the constitution makes it easy for political parties to be disbanded by court order, thus creating a dangerous vacuum in governing of the country. Several parties, including the People's Power Party, are being threatened with dissolution on various charges including fraud during last December's election which brought Samak and a six-party coalition into power.

"The current constitution is a political trap to destroy this government, so this constitution must be changed and I will propose to amend the constitution once Parliament resumes next month," Samak said.

Samak said he had been warned that pressing to change the constitution would lead to a severe political crisis, but added, "I am ready to face whatever crisis comes. I have to do it or die," he said. :o : *Thaksin must be getting very desperate for the changes if he's issuing death threats.*

The government had proposed to amend the constitution June, but the motion was withdrawn after thousands of people, led by the People Alliance for Democracy, staged protests which entered their 50th day Sunday.

Thaksin and members of his family face a slew of court cases related to corruption and abuse of power during his 2001-2006 premiership.

============================

Footnote: The photo above was not from any actual "fighting", but was from the time he toppled over out of his chair and hit his head on his desk... but somehow it seemed to fit the headline nicely.

Thai PM reiterates amending constitution; also to reshuffle cabinet

BANGKOK, July 13 (TNA) - Thailand's Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Sunday that he planned to conduct a major cabinet reshuffle and reiterated that his coalition government would move to amend the constitution -- especially relating to the article concerning the dissolution of a political party -- when parliament reopens.

Speaking during his weekly TV and radio address, Samak, also Defense Minister, said that several ministerial portfolios would be reshuffled in order to strengthen the coalition government and that the planned cabinet reshuffle would become clearer after this Friday.

Acknowledging that several competent and good-intentioned people are reluctant to join his government due to concerns that it would be unable to complete its four-year term, Samak said he would proceed to amend the present charter, prepared by experienced legal and constitution experts appointed by the senior armed forces officers who carried out the September 19 coup in 2006.

The upcoming major cabinet reshuffle comes in the wake of a series of legal battles that forced three ministers, including Foreign Minister Noppadon Pattama, out of office.

Stating that the present charter is, in effect, like a trap set to destroy his administration, Samak said the current political turmoil could be solved by amending the constitution, especially Article 237.

Article 237 of the charter stipulates that political party leaders and senior executive members will be banned from politics for five years if a party's candidates commit poll fraud with the complicity or knowledge of the party, and the party itself will face dissolution.

It is expected that the ruling People Power Party, led by Samak, will submit a motion calling for amending the charter after the parliament reconvenes for an ordinary session on August 1.

In another development, Pipop Thongchai, a core leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), a coalition of opponents and critics of the present government, commented that Thailand's current political problems arose because "politicians did not follow charter's rules".

Members and supporters of the PAD, now holding a marathon protest near Government House, will continue their demonstration and will ask public organizations to help prevent the charter from being amended, Mr. Pipop said.

Mr. Pipop said the PAD believed that the government would cling to power as long as possible or at least until early October to ensure that the draft government's expenditure for fiscal 2009, which starts October 1, passes through the House, and to oversee the annual military and senior civil servants reshuffle in an attempt to preserve the government's power base.

The annual military and civil servants reshuffle takes place October 1.

Edited by sriracha john

Though the argument is that 237 is more wide ranging, 98 of the extant Organic Law for Political Parties does spring to mind.

Section 98 Where the Constitutional Court has dissolved a political party under Section 82 or Section 94 and there is credible evidence that the Leader of the political party or any member of the Executive Committee has participated in, been an accomplice to, ignored or known of the offence without curbing or rectifying it, the Constitutional Court shall repeal that Leader’s or Executive Committee member’s right to stand for election for a period of five years from the date of the dissolution order.
Unofficial translation 94 covers prejudicial acts {e.g vote buying}

Regards

With the censure debate over and court cases coming to fruition, it's time to ratchet everything back up..

Samak set on changing charter

PM Samak will press ahead with plans to rewrite the coup-sponsored constitution, setting the scene for further political confrontation. Opponents are promising to step up their protests and promise a long battle ahead unless the government changes its mind. Despite the political risks, Samak says the government is determined to press ahead with changes to the charter, and will also reshuffle cabinet to improve its performance. He says the likely cabinet line-up should be clearer once the status of 3 ministers involved in the two- and three-digit lottery case becomes known. Speaking during his weekly national broadcast yesterday, Samak said the government will table a motion to amend the charter as soon as parliament convenes its next meeting. Strong resistance from PAD to the charter rewrite effort forced the government to hold back for a time. Since then, the government has come under siege, with one cabinet member after another being forced out of office. The PPP is also reaching a political impasse after the Supreme Court upheld the EC's decision to red-card its former Deputy Leader Yongyuth. The PM criticised Article 237, saying it was the bane of politicians.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/140708_News/14Jul2008_news01.php

========================================================================

It's the "bane" only when concepts such as accountability and responsibility are not realized.

The lottery case aspect mentioned involving additional current Cabinet ministers includes a Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister, Labour Minister, and Deputy Transport Minister is discussed here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thaksin-30-M...ic-t154897.html

Thaksin And 30 Members Of His Cabinet Indicted, total of 47 indicted on a variety of charges

Shame the country can't hear these things directly from the Prime Minister himself, but instead have to wait for his once a week, one-hour-limit television show to hear the opinions of their Leader. Doesn't do much to reassure the nation during these tumultuous times to be told, "just wait 5 days to find out."

btw, Chaiya didn't resign, he was fired by the courts. He refused to resign.

Editorial

Samak must lead or leave

PM Samak asked the country to wait for several days to hear his decisions, and then let the whole nation down yet again. His Sunday TV speech actually answered no urgent questions. He said that he will reshuffle the cabinet "soon", whatever that means. Then he actually added to the confusion by noting that trustworthy technocrats do not want to board his sinking ship. Despite that, pretty soon there will be a beautiful cabinet. Is there some reason to believe this? The ugly duckling could turn into a swan, of course, but Samak's version of the story gives no cause for optimism. He said he wants the courts to decide the cases against current ministers first, but those could take months or even years. And if that isn't disappointing enough, the nation's political leader announced that the Number One priority at the next parliamentary session in August will be amending the constitution. As the popular song put it, when will they ever learn? The priorities of Samak and his cloistered political allies are far away from those of all other citizens. It is hard to believe that the country will agree that saving the political necks of political parties is the most urgent problem for parliament. Thailand to Samak: Fuel prices are out of control, inflation is doubling many food prices, tripling the cost of rice. There is an economic crisis which the cabinet team has botched. That team has to be replaced, and the public must be assured that the problem is in competent hands at last. One way or another, the government has to reset its priorities, restate its policies and reinvigorate its politicians and grassroots supporters. Samak and ministers are clearly disengaged from the rest of the country. Samak and the other political leaders are almost panicky because their parties might be dissolved by the courts, thus hurting their chances of re-election. Mr and Mrs Average Citizen are highly concerned that they soon may not be able to eat healthily or send their children to school, thus harming their real chances of survival. Bluntly, his two choices are to lead or to get out of the way. He has an opportunity to

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=128854