Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

[quote name='younghusband' date='2008-01-29 13:31:42' post='1789231'

the fair minded among us are probably willing to give him a chance.

for heavens sake let's give the guy a break on his first few days!

Samak is a dinosaur. His first days in politics were decades ago. If he was capable of doing any good, it would be known by now, don't you think ?

If Samak needs a break, he can retire from politics.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're starting to get a few repeats, so for posters and journalists alike, the following terms have already been utilized for the new Prime Minister...

This has to be the low water mark post of the year :o Like or dislike Thailands government as much as you want, but remember that you are a guest in this country! What about if someone posted pictures of you on a forum with a list of insults like this one!

We'll have to pass along your award to the Associated Press, Reuters, MCOT, etc. writers who created the vast majority of the list. Guess we should also pass along your "guest in this country" statement to them, as well.

As far as the insults to me, I'd probably cite the rule against flaming fellow Thaivisa members... which is something Samak could do as well if he signed up here.

Edited by sriracha john

We're starting to get a few repeats, so for posters and journalists alike, the following terms have already been utilized for the new Prime Minister...

There are presumably very few members who admire the PM, given his past record, although the fair minded among us are probably willing to give him a chance.Sometimes quite unpromising people do grow into a job with great responsibilities.Anyway my main point is that the insulting list above is really quite inappropriate on the day the PM has returned from the palace with royal endorsement.The problem of course is that otherwise reasonable people have become so paranoid about Thaksin that they lose touch with good manners and what is appropriate.

I have no problem with Samak being teased mercilessly but for heavens sake let's give the guy a break on his first few days!

We'll pass along to the international media journalists your Thaksin-paranoid assessment of them, as well.

Edited by sriracha john

EC defiant of the Samak Sundaravej government

The Election Commission has no trouble doing its job following the installation of the new government with Samak Sundaravej as prime minister, EC secretary-general Suthiphon Thaveechaigarn said on Tuesday.

"The EC always works under the principles of being an independent organisation," he said, shrugging off the coming and goving of a government.

Before the December 23 election, many voiced concern about the pressure of the Council for National Security but the EC could overcome every obstacle to bring about the democratic rule, he said.

"As an organisation standing midway among rival camps, the EC could not avoid criticism but it is determined to complete its job without harbouring a false hope of pleasing all sides," he said.

Source: The Nation - 29 January 2008

It's official

His Majesty the King has given formal endorsement to the selection of Samak Sundaravej as the country's 25th prime minister. People Party party spokesman Kudep Saikrachang said party members will congratulate Mr Samak at his residence this afternoon.

The royal endorsement came after Monday's vote by the House of Representatives to elected the former Bangkok governor, by 310 to 163 votes. The only other candidate was Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva of the only opposition party.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

pugnacious

right-winger

monkey boy

sharp-tongued

combative

ultra-right wing

rabble-rouser

combative

proxy

pugnacious

loathed

bulbous nose

foul-mouthed pig

vitriolic

sharp-tongued

ultra-conservative

hot tempered

checkered past

fiery

abrasive

food-obsessed

Pig Man

porcine

Ai Dang Moo

scum

Acerbic

rude

turbulent

acid-tongued

This has to be the low water mark post of the year :o Like or dislike Thailands government as much as you want, but remember that you are a guest in this country! What about if someone posted pictures of you on a forum with a list of insults like this one!

A guest ?, I often hear this one ... what do they mean exactly. How can I be a guest, nobody invited me ?

Whilst I can understand the viewpoint which says he may 'grow into the job' or to 'give him a chance'. I recall that as Bangkok Governor he most assuredly did no 'growing', and in his prior political incarnations showed all the delicacy and deftness of touch of an enraged pugnacious individual.

I recall a line from an episode of the original Star Trek where they encounter a parallel universe:

'It was far easier for you as civilized men to behave like barbarians than it was for them as barbarians to behave like civilized men.'

Seems about right to me.

Regards

/edited to reflect the one day comment made herein//

Edited by A_Traveller

There are presumably very few members who admire the PM, given his past record, although the fair minded among us are probably willing to give him a chance.Sometimes quite unpromising people do grow into a job with great responsibilities.Anyway my main point is that the insulting list above is really quite inappropriate on the day the PM has returned from the palace with royal endorsement.The problem of course is that otherwise reasonable people have become so paranoid about Thaksin that they lose touch with good manners and what is appropriate.

I have no problem with Samak being teased mercilessly but for heavens sake let's give the guy a break on his first few days!

We'll pass along to the international media journalists your Thaksin-paranoid assessment of them, as well.

Instead of flailing around (Thai visa resident members are in a wholly different position from journalists) it would have been better to quietly reflect that today was probably not the appropriate day to insult a new Prime Minister who has just received royal endorsement.It's just a question of good manners.

Instead of flailing around (Thai visa resident members are in a wholly different position from journalists) it would have been better to quietly reflect that today was probably not the appropriate day to insult a new Prime Minister who has just received royal endorsement.It's just a question of good manners.

Flailing around? :o:D

The list was mainly culled from news clippings posted in this news clipping forum thread. Perhaps we should prohibit news quotes and not reference any of them for the "next few days."

He has his solid fan base but in Bangkok no one buys "give him a chance" crap anymore. He had plenty of chances already, and even countrywide his honeymoon will be very very short.

I bet Surayud will appear as fast as a fox comparing to Samak.

Thai leader seen as Thaksin front

Thailand's new parliament yesterday elected Samak Sundaravej, a conservative politician allied to the ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, as prime minister to lead the first elected government since a 2006 military putsch.

But although Mr Samak - known for his acid tongue and anti-communism - recently protested to the contrary, many Thais believe the leader of the People's Power party, which won the December poll, will be a mere figurehead for an administration run behind the scenes by Mr Thaksin, who was banned from politics after the 2006 coup.

Source Financial Times - 29 January 2008

We'll have to pass along your award to the Associated Press, Reuters, MCOT, etc. writers who created the vast majority of the list. Guess we should also pass along your "guest in this country" statement to them, as well.

As far as the insults to me, I'd probably cite the rule against flaming fellow Thaivisa members... which is something Samak could do as well if he signed up here.

Just to be clear, I share some of your views regarding Mr Samak, but I think all this haterd and childish assults in your post regarding the man doesn't serve you well. it is what it is already. Like someone said, it's a matter of good manners!

Incoming PM Eyes Concurrent Post of Defense Minister

Newly elected Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, the leader of the People Power Party is likely to concurrently serve as defense minister in the new People Power-led coalition government.

Aside from his desire to control the country’s defense, the new Prime Minister will appoint four deputy prime ministers to assist him in running the 25th administration of Thailand.

Among key figures appointed to the posts of Deputy Prime Ministers are Somchai Wongsawat, deputy leader of the People Power Party and brother-in-law of deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Mingkwan Saengsuwan, PPP’s economic team leader, Sanan Kachornprasart, Chart Thai Party’s chief adviser and Suwit Khunkitti, leader of the Puea Pandin Party.

The first two politicians are considered novices to Thai politics, while the latter are veteran politicians that had once served as deputy Prime Ministers and ministers for various governments.

Reportedly, Mingkwan will also serve as commerce minister, while Somchai will double as culture minister and Suwit will concurrently serve as industry minister, said a PPP source.

New faces in politics which are close cronies to several banned Thai Rak Thai executives will also be designated as members of the new Cabinet.

The group of novices includes Sutha Chansaeng, who will likely get the social development and human security portfolio; Santi Prompat, likely to cover the transport ministry; and Supon Fongngam is expected to be named deputy interior minister.

The 25th Prime Minister yesterday reported that his new Cabinet line-up was 80% complete and could start working at Government House before February 5th.

- Thailand Outlook

Virtually no one likes Samak, duh! Where he does carry an enormous amount of clout with the Thai people is he is one of the few willing to stand up against Prem. As vile as he is in totality, this one asset is as good as gold to many Thais.

Foreign Press Believes PM-Elect Samak Soon to Be Replaced

The international press had widely covered the voting for Thailand's 25th prime minister yesterday, but some members of the foreign press have expressed beliefs that Thai politics will continue to be relatively unstable.

An article published in the International Herald Tribune by Thomas Fuller says political analysts believe Thailand is still in for a bumpy ride while Samak Sundaravej’s government would be fragile at best and Samak’s term as prime minister would be a ‘tempestuous’ one.

The journalist also cited Samak’s support of deadly crackdowns on peaceful protesters in the 1970s and 1990s as being obstacles to his job as premier. Samak is known for his extreme right-wing attitudes against communists and his support for deadly crackdowns in 1976 and 1992 on students and pro-democracy campaigners demanding greater civil liberties.

Prior to him being voted as the new prime minister of Thailand, anti-Thaksin groups have been criticizing some of the People Power Party executives who were former left-wing activists in Thailand for their ‘acceptance’ of Samak as party leader and prime minister-elect.

Fuller also reminded the readers about Samak’s announcement of being a proxy or nominee of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. He also pointed out the speculations on Samak being replaced soon by someone who is ‘more conciliatory.’

- Thailand Outlook

Are you aware that my post was nothing more than a quote of other posts? If you characterize it as hatred and childish, then those are attributes to be shared amongst all journalists and posters whose content was quoted.

This quite inadequate riposte has already been skewered.Without attributing too much weight to all trhis, I think there were some serious and valid reservations on your insulting post on the day the new PM received royal endorsement.I think on this day at least, in view of the foregoing, reservations could have been kept private.You could have chosen to apologise or even kept quiet, but your response was to accuse at least one member of flaming!

Are you aware that my post was nothing more than a quote of other posts? If you characterize it as hatred and childish, then those are attributes to be shared amongst all journalists and posters whose content was quoted.

This quite inadequate riposte has already been skewered.Without attributing too much weight to all trhis, I think there were some serious and valid reservations on your insulting post on the day the new PM received royal endorsement.I think on this day at least, in view of the foregoing, reservations could have been kept private.You could have chosen to apologise or even kept quiet, but your response was to accuse at least one member of flaming!

I didn't accuse anyone of flaming me. I responded to a hypothetical question of what I would do if I had been flamed and that would be to cite forum rules prohibiting such. How have my replies been been "skewered" and how have they been "inadequate"? :o I simply replied that the content of my post was that of others... which it was.

Are you ok?

Edited by sriracha john

Thailand's PM-elect a tough politician with Thaksin's powerful backing

Samak Sundaravej fought his way into the prime minister's office by reassembling the political machine of Thailand's ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra and using it to outwit the junta that toppled him.

Samak won 310 votes in the 480-seat parliament yesterday to be elected prime minister. Although he is a shrewd politician with 30 years' experience in government, Samak owes his victory to Thaksin.

Thaksin recruited Samak to lead his supporters in the People Power Party into last month's elections, which the PPP won.

Samak won the election by picking up Thaksin's mantle as a populist, vowing to bring home the still-popular former leader and to revive the economy with the same brand of gung-ho capitalism and rural development.

A sharp-tongued right-winger, 72-year-old Samak is a bundle of contradictions -- he has hosted a light-hearted cooking show on television, but has also been linked to massacres of student protesters.

He has served in previous military governments, but railed against the most recent junta, which he accused of unjustly persecuting Thaksin.

Samak's alliance with Thaksin caught many here by surprise. They were once political rivals who bickered so intensely that the revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej publicly scolded them into silence.

Samak comes loaded with his own political baggage. He has been accused of involvement in one of the darkest days in Thai history, when at least 46 people were killed in a brutal crackdown on student protesters in 1976. He was also a deputy prime minister in May 1992 when troops again opened fire on pro-democracy protests against an earlier military government.

Samak was elected Bangkok's governor in 2000, a post equivalent to a mayor, but remains under investigation for corruption over the purchase of new fire engines for the capital.

In his latest incarnation as Thaksin's frontman, Samak has styled himself as a defender of democracy against military encroachments. "This is a victory for all Thai people who unreasonably lost their freedom on September 19," Samak said when he claimed victory in the elections.

"It took a long time to get here," he told a press conference last weekend. "I am really relieved that now there's nothing more to worry about."

- AFP

Just a thought. Most pundits seem to think Samak is not in for the long haul. Could it be that Samak has been selected to make some tough and controversial political decisions before finally bowing out and handing power to a more likeable leader who could start over with a clean slate?