Visit During Songkran?

Two Roads

I have an opportunity to come to LOS but it coincides exactly with Songkran.

Would love to visit Pattaya but am worried it will be deserted.

Is that the case or can a good time still be found??

If not Pattaya and other suggestions??

Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deserted? You are joking right?

Pattaya is absolutely packed during Songkran, it's an absolute scream.

You will get wet, shorts t-shirt and flip flops are the order of the day. Put any valuables that you don't want to get wet (money, cigs, phone etc) in a tightly sealed plastic bag - zip locks are good for this.

If you enjoy having fun you will love it, don't whinge about it afterwards and say you weren't warned though. It lasts for about a week in Pattaya - 12th to 19th April. Most people pack up around 6 or 7pm so you can go back to your hotel and put on your gladrags without fear of drenching in the evening.

Oh yeah, and stay away from motorbikes. Have fun - I will :o

You will get wet, shorts t-shirt and flip flops are the order of the day. Put any valuables that you don't want to get wet (money, cigs, phone etc) in a tightly sealed plastic bag - zip locks are good for this.

If you enjoy having fun you will love it, don't whinge about it afterwards and say you weren't warned though. It lasts for about a week in Pattaya - 12th to 19th April. Most people pack up around 6 or 7pm so you can go back to your hotel and put on your gladrags without fear of drenching in the evening.

Oh yeah, and stay away from motorbikes. Have fun - I will :o

That's not true. Idiots- usually foreigners - have no idea when to call it a day and are a royal pain in the ass. As a previous poster wrote residents flee from Pattaya or stay indoors for the entire duration of Sangkran which is another beautiful Thai festival gone bad. Don't go on a motorcycle - you are likely to get hosed off it by one of those crazed farangs aided and abetted by his bar girl friend. God, its awful. Maybe the new mayor will do something about it.

Edited by Tammi

Oh yeah, and stay away from motorbikes. Have fun - I will :D

That's not true. Idiots- usually foreigners - have no idea when to call it a day and are a royal pain in the ass. As a previous poster wrote residents flee from Pattaya or stay indoors for the entire duration of Sangkran which is another beautiful Thai festival gone bad. Don't go on a motorcycle - you are likely to get hosed off it by one of those crazed farangs aided and abetted by his bar girl friend. God, its awful. Maybe the new mayor will do something about it.

dont listen to the living dead op. songkran in pattaya is the best day to be here (19th)

what usually happens is all the old miserable sods sit at home on the web posting about how much they hate this time of year - these are called residents

the younger happy people sit in bars with their mates and throw water over these residents. you must makesure they are carrying their weekly shopping or look like they have just left their homes.

be prepared to be called some pretty nasty stuff followed by the words "i live here".

best time of year by a country mile :o

dont listen to the living dead op. songkran in pattaya is the best day to be here (19th)

what usually happens is all the old miserable sods sit at home on the web posting about how much they hate this time of year - these are called residents

the younger happy people sit in bars with their mates and throw water over these residents. you must makesure they are carrying their weekly shopping or look like they have just left their homes.

be prepared to be called some pretty nasty stuff followed by the words "i live here".

If you really believe that you must lead a pretty sad life here. It's also a complete waste of water, time and business productivity in this city.

But if you are keen to try it, do it once. That is all you need to realise you have grown up from being 12 years old. Avoid thereafter.

It's also a complete waste of water, time and business productivity in this city.

But if you are keen to try it, do it once. That is all you need to realise you have grown up from being 12 years old. Avoid thereafter.

so one day of the year is a complete waste of time and business productivity in this city :o

apart from that there is a few hot spots that carry on for the week leading upto the big day. easily avoided hot spots by the way.

these threads always turn out the same,

"dont come here, stay away"

"hooligans, tattoos, skinheads"

did anyone stop to think that the op might actually enjoy songkran the way it is celebrated?

In over 15 years i have never met a sane person who would choose to stay in pattaya during songkran. If you want to witness civil breakdown and enjoy being assaulted with water ice and powder (even paint on occasions) - fill your boots and join the party.

Ok, there may only be 2 or 3% of lunatics causing most of the mayhem - and given licence too - but thats a lot of nutters to deal with. I think the death toll during this time speaks for itself. It also goes on for 8 or 9 days - not just the official days.

This guy is definately NOT a sad old fart! :o

Yeah - I just hope he doesn't get into trouble for bunking off school!

Thank you Ulysses G, and AP 'Man'

As Kopite says, and never a truer word spoken: 'the younger happy people sit in bars with their mates and throw water over these residents. you must makesure they are carrying their weekly shopping or look like they have just left their homes.

be prepared to be called some pretty nasty stuff followed by the words "i live here".'

Please, if you are that poor that the pension won't pay for a ticket out, then don't whine about it.

He who whinges the loudest gets the wettest.

I was in pattaya last year for all of songkran. I strongly recommend staying away except for two days. You will not be able to walk to the mall, go to the store or do anything without getting completely soaked, and probably getting your clothes ruined by ash or flour mixed in. The kids have fun, but the older kids drive around in trucks with 55 gallon drums of water. All the outdoor bars have barrels of water and people stand there and douse everybody with water.

I don't mind a little fun, but it goes on for over one week, and it makes it impossible to do any touristing or simple walking around. Don't think that the Baht bus ride is dry. Those just become bigger targets and at every intersection you will be soaked.

I forgot to mention that usually the water is pretty dirty and rank. You can't just dry your clothes. They will need a laundering.

The worst of it was that I believe there was too much hatred and venting of anger towards Falang. This is the chance for Thais to strike back for all the abuse they took or bitterness they feel towards westerner's money.

I love Thailand. I have been to Pattaya 7 times. I am going to Thailand march 3 for 3 weeks. But, Songkran is over done in Pattaya.

If you want to run around in just your bathing suit all day, and not be able to go inside and sit in any business dry, then go to Songkran.

I will never go there again. Just not my cup of tea.

Another Songkran - another 361 dead

361 killed in road accidents during 7-day Songkran holidays.

A total of 4,214 road accidents took place nationwide during the week-long Songkran holidays, killing 361 people and injuring 4,805 others.

Permanent Secretary for Interior Pongpayom Vasaputi said Wednesday that Khon Kaen topped the provincial list with 16 deaths, while Chiang Rai had the most accidents at 160 times and the most injuries at 167 people.

He said that on Tuesday alone, 43 people got killed and 512 wounded in 451 accidents, mostly resulted from drunk driving.

These old poops seem to need an extra dose of ice to wake them up. :D

The worst of it was that I believe there was too much hatred and venting of anger towards Falang. This is the chance for Thais to strike back for all the abuse they took or bitterness they feel towards westerner's money.

You need to have a paranoia check.

You will never see so many people with huge smiles on their faces, and having FUN. It is all good natured until some whinging old fart starts threatening to call the police/ fight you/ go and get his mates to sort you out etc. etc. Then you will see Thais and Farangs venting their anger and hatred towards miserable old gits.

These old poops seem to need an extra dose of ice to wake them up. :D

How can the residents both stay at home and be out shopping?

It is criminal how folks are assaulted with ice, powder, ash, hose pipes, paint. I wonder how many will be injured and die this year in the name of morons having fun? Songkran is another beautiful Thai festival gone bad.

Thank you Ulysses G, and AP 'Man'

As Kopite says, and never a truer word spoken: 'the younger happy people sit in bars with their mates and throw water over these residents. you must makesure they are carrying their weekly shopping or look like they have just left their homes.

be prepared to be called some pretty nasty stuff followed by the words "i live here".'

Please, if you are that poor that the pension won't pay for a ticket out, then don't whine about it.

He who whinges the loudest gets the wettest.

AP 'Man'

be prepared to be called some pretty nasty stuff".....

[/i][/b]

Well, you got that right. Obviously it's not just the water that's dirty re Songkran. However, I forgive you because your dancing pickle is so excellent.

Two Roads come on over my friend 120 percent you want fine Pattaya or any other city deserted, during Songkran holiday. Also bring some play cloths because I know 150 percent you will get WET!! Truth me "been here done that" many years. :D:D:D:D:o:D

AP 'Man'

be prepared to be called some pretty nasty stuff".....

[/i][/b]

Well, you got that right. Obviously it's not just the water that's dirty re Songkran. However, I forgive you because your dancing pickle is so excellent.

Apologies, my teacher warned me about abusing other TV members, guess I'm in for a spanking now?

Thankyou for your kind words, but what about my banana, pepper and carrot? This could be considered as vegetableism, and there is probably some tribunal in Europe to deal with this kind of blatant bigotry :o

When I am in Pattaya over the Songkran period I usually walk thew length of Beach Road on the 19th, complete with water cannon and basic clothing.

Get soaked, get flour smeared on your face, get it washed off with the next squirty, wish everyone a happy new year, they smile and do the same.

Have done it with my ten-year-old daughter, but as she'll be eleven this year she has decided she's too old. She'll be up in Bangers with her cousins. I remember when we were in Chaiyaphum, she was five, perched on the side of a pick-up with a dozen other relatives, squirting everyone. Scared the sh1t out of me, but mum had said OK.

I thoroughly enjoy it, so must be one of the young and happy guys - even at 71.

When I am in Pattaya over the Songkran period I usually walk thew length of Beach Road on the 19th, complete with water cannon and basic clothing.

Get soaked, get flour smeared on your face, get it washed off with the next squirty, wish everyone a happy new year, they smile and do the same.

Have done it with my ten-year-old daughter, but as she'll be eleven this year she has decided she's too old. She'll be up in Bangers with her cousins. I remember when we were in Chaiyaphum, she was five, perched on the side of a pick-up with a dozen other relatives, squirting everyone. Scared the sh1t out of me, but mum had said OK.

I thoroughly enjoy it, so must be one of the young and happy guys - even at 71.

good on you Humphrey Bear. my brother in law is 65 and he loves the day out as well.

:o

How can the residents both stay at home and be out shopping?

Sometimes, the old gents get it in their heads that they are going to walk through all the fun like Moses parting the Red Sea. They dress up in their Sunday best, put on an angry look and swagger down the street daring anyone to splash them. :o

My solution is to wear a bathing suit and t-shirt, enjoy all the smiling happy faces and just have fun. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Certainly a good time of year for the young at heart, the miserable ones stay at home and moan on internet forums.

It's one of the few times a year that I get the old motorcycle out, I ride down Soi 7, Soi 8, Soi 6, Pattayaland knowing that i'm gonna get plastered with powder and soaked with ice water, I stop off at Bars and join in too.

I like it at the beach end of Soi 8, lol, all the miserable old farts getting soaked and getting angry...lol.

I remember years ago I warned a well dressed Farang who was carrying a video camera not to venture down a certain street cos he was gonna get hammered with water, he got quite pizzed off at me and told me to mind my own business, needless to say, he got absolutely soaked and nobody gave a crap how he was dressed.

I couldn't help laughing when he came back my way dripping wet and plastered in powder. :D

If you like having a good time like nowhere else in the world, then Songkhran is great. I go to Naklua on the 18th too.... :o

Edited by Maigo6

As a resident of Pattaya I agree with the fellow posters who consider this to be an absolutely awful time in Pattaya.

I dread it.

Although the water festival is supposed to be a wonderful tradition of the sprinkling of a little water upon the body of a fellow citizen and then dabbing some light powder on him/her.

A small, but not insignificant number of absloute idiots, with aggressive and malicious intent spoil the tradition by dangerous soaking of people on motorcycles, pedestrians going about there normal everyday business, perhaps carrying shopping, food, a young child, personal property that might be obviously damaged by water.

These idiots take pleasure in other peoples misery.

I just escaped with my life, when someone blasted off my prescription sunglasses and when I was going to retrieve them I was almost killed by a swerving motorcycle.

Those who suggest it is 'fun' have either experienced only one day of the so called 'festival' in Pattaya, or else have no brain.

I will be looking to escape Pattaya for those crazy ten days.

When in Rome Two Roads, when in Rome! I f you like the chaos and madness that the festival brings and can join in with equal juvenile exuberance, then go. Just be sure to mind how you go the accidents and fatalities are extraordinary, you'll get ambushed from all ways and without thinking will jump out of the way, and be side swiped by a motocy.

Sometimes, the old gents get it in their heads that they are going to walk through all the fun

I have seen this on Beach Road, an elderly Thai walking through to do his every day business, two large, drunk Brits hit him from behind, not with water pistols but the powerful two handed cannons you see wielded at random, when he turned round and remonstrated, they squared up to him.

Some respect, how to involve yourself in the local customs, mores and values of the local community.

A small, but not insignificant number of absloute idiots, with aggressive and malicious intent spoil the tradition pedestrians going about there normal everyday business,

It is a good time, but you have to be prepared for it and if that is what you want, go for it, I have done it twice, I guess I'll give it a miss in the future.

Moss

As a resident of Pattaya I agree with the fellow posters who consider this to be an absolutely awful time in Pattaya.

I dread it.

you couldnt make it up :o

I just escaped with my life, when someone blasted off my prescription sunglasses and when I was going to retrieve them I was almost killed by a swerving motorcycle.

why didnt you look at the oncoming traffic?

If you are coming as a tourist, you'll have a blast. If you are a resident, well, it becomes a bit of a pain in the neck.

That's just about it. I can't believe it goes on for longer than a week though! It was 4 days in Patong last year and, frankly, that's 2 days too long. The first half day is a delicious taster, the first full-on day is a great laugh, the rest of the time it's a complete pain in the arse. That said, it is genuinely amusing - I'll never forget the sight of a farang soaking a policeman, sat in his car at the traffic lights, who looked furious and pretended to go for his gun, then broke into a grin and took his water cannon out from the passenger seat and soaked the guy back. Not sure PC plod would do likewise at home.

Ain't that the truth. I left my apartment on the first day without knowing what was coming. I had my passport and other paper docs on me as I walked towards the local pub, populated by chav tw@ts armed to the teeth with every conceivable water emitting device known to man. I shouted at them to get me and not the bag containing my papers, which only encouraged them to solely soak my bag and run off laughing.

There are so many wideboys and classless dickheads in Thailand. How do the Thais put up with it?

Edited by Super Hans