Visit During Songkran?

Two Roads

There are so many wideboys and classless dickheads in Thailand. How do the Thais put up with it?

The fact that there are even more classless Thai dickheads probably helps. I was in Isaan for Songkran a few years back and one such <deleted> decided to smear black shoe polish on my cheeks. The whole event is just an invitation for classless dickheads to take over the streets all over Thailand.

Edited by edwardandtubs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many wideboys and classless dickheads in Thailand. How do the Thais put up with it?

The fact that there are even more classless Thai dickheads probably helps. I was in Isaan for Songkran a few years back and one such <deleted> decided to smear black shoe polish on my cheeks. The whole event is just an invitation for classless dickheads to take over the streets all over Thailand.

And it really is time that classy, educated Thais put a stop to it. The event described in a post of how 2 farangs assaulted an elderly Thai is terrible.

What happens in Bangkok? I have been there often during Songkran and have never had any problem

What about Chiang Mai - anyone know what it's like up there?

Stay at one of the hotels next to Central Department store mall. That way you can walk to the mall by the back way and not get blasted. It lasts 3 or 4 days. The college girls get on stages and dance while everyone throws water at them. Which is a non event because they all wear bras with three inches of foam padding. Eat and drink at the mall for three days and don't go on the streets.

What about Chiang Mai - anyone know what it's like up there?

Chiang Mai is the best place in Thailand to celebrate and all the Thais travel there. Lots of Farangs, but many more (nice) Thais who keep things upbeat and happy. You don't have Thais smearing shoe polish on Farangs or anything of the like and the old bores mostly lock themselves inside and mutter at the TV.

It does go on too long, but if you make the best of it it is lots of fun. :o

Songkran in Pattaya is great the first time. Fun the second, probably or maybe not and then a right pain in the butt!

It goes on too long at a week. 1 or 2 days is adequate.

For residents it ruins a whole week with the low life tourists generally going crazy. It's a fine idea for a day or 2 maximum.

Sounds like a really load of old codgers living here.

True Steve, many Pattaya oldies hate Songkhran, I guess they are just envious of people still able to have a good time.

Not all old folks are like that though, a few years agoI knew a guy from Liverpool who was dropping Exctacy and having a great time, he was 71. :o

I suppose there are, but who really enjoys being soaked to the skin for 7 continuous days? Enough. <deleted>. Already.

It is for children, chavs, knuckle-dragglers and morons. It's for those that think the singing fish is a novelty worth investing in, or have a collection of laser pens.

The mature and civilised will run for the hills.

so one day of the year is a complete waste of time and business productivity in this city :o

did anyone stop to think that the op might actually enjoy songkran the way it is celebrated?

Hum, the problem is that's it's not only one day in the year. To see it one time for one or two days is ok, but that's all. Once you live here it's a nightmare.

Here in Chiangmai we have the longer Thailand's songkran, nearly two weeks and it's nearly impossible to have a normal activity without beeing wet beeing harrased by the stupid tourists and very dangerous to ride a bike. Many morons just stay near the highway and throw entire buckets of water/ice on your face.

I don't live in the city, but going in Chiangmai or in a supermarket during this period is a no no. I buy food and drink for two weeks and stay home in my village where people are less stupid.

To be fair, it would be better if it were only two days, but it isn't. I just try to enjoy it as much as I can and usually don't get really bored until the last day.

It really is an amazing holiday if you have never seen it, and can be lots of fun even if you have. :o

This thread just got me thinking.

We should make Songkran in Pattaya every single day of the year with not a single day exception.

We can rename Pattaya "Songkran City" and let the good times roll. :o

Tourists will come in from all over the world to witness the daily events of "Songkran City". :D

We should make Songkran in Pattaya every single day of the year with not a single day exception.

Tourists will come in from all over the world to witness the daily events of "Songkran City". :D

I'll put that up to the mayor, next time we're splitting a beer or two.

"We" can do nothing. "We" are "aliens" and "guests" according to another topic and should shut up and not interfere even if what is being done could be illegal.

The actual songkran in tourist areas has as much to do with thai traditions as Christmas IMHO. Completely built up by foreign tourists.

Why don't do it at home so we can enjoy the pure authentic traditions here ?

Edited by hp8000

Personally during the heat of the day I'm happy to play water like the rest, however there is always a few people (young drunk tourists) that take it too far and continue well into the night and hit those clearly dressed for a evening out at a restarunt for example. Pattaya is fun during this period during the heat of the day but not fun in the evening. We hide up country where the simple farming folk ask before giving you your first soaking of the day when you arrive in the village wearing dry clothes. Even the chilled water if welcomed after the first gasp.

So I'll hold up with DVDs and MRE packs till the last day then come out all guns blazing.

I'm thinking about laying out a few live and dangerous looking electric cables to "encourage" visitors to the house that it is a water free zone and any splashing might indeed kill them - should keep them in check!

Songkrang - Humbug !

Hum, the problem is that's it's not only one day in the year. To see it one time for one or two days is ok, but that's all. Once you live here it's a nightmare.

Here in Chiangmai we have the longer Thailand's songkran, nearly two weeks and it's nearly impossible to have a normal activity without beeing wet beeing harrased by the stupid tourists and very dangerous to ride a bike. Many morons just stay near the highway and throw entire buckets of water/ice on your face.

I don't live in the city, but going in Chiangmai or in a supermarket during this period is a no no. I buy food and drink for two weeks and stay home in my village where people are less stupid.

but in pattaya it isnt really 10 days. the real festivities start at night on the 18th and finish early evening on the 19th.

other than that, theres a few hotspots around the city that are easily avoidable. soi 7, soi 8, certain areas of jomtien and the last few years a section of second road.

i really cant see what the problem is. however, there are alot more idiots throwing water at people on bikes then previous years. that has to stop. thats the only thing id like to see change.

other than that, anyones game in my eyes. :o

The actual songkran in tourist areas has as much to do with thai traditions as Christmas IMHO. Completely built up by foreign tourists.

Why don't do it at home so we can enjoy the pure authentic traditions here ?

Nah - nothing to do with tourists. The higher the concentration of young people and alcohol the wilder it gets. Its just the tourist areas tend to have high concentrations of both. The most fun is the party areas with few farang - everyone is there to have fun, so when you get ice water down your back you should take it with humor as intended.

Several years ago, I had a girl break a raw egg on my head. I fail to see how this tied in with Songkran and told her so.

What bothers me more than anything is that all the water tankers who normally deliver water to my house are not available to deliver water to my house. The water is often turned off due to the short supply of water and, if my tank runs dry, I must get a water delivery.

This isn't possible since the water trucks are hired out to drench other water trucks in water that isn't available anyway. Did everybody follow this?

Yep, for all you young tots out there, I am one of your old codgers. I have been through 20 or so Songkrans but am now tired of the excesses carried out in Pattaya. I will happily go up country and relax in a more laid back atmosphere from now on. Soi 7/8 on Beach Road is a fun place to be if you like the excesses, though.

Edited to change an "are" to an "is". :o

Edited by chuckd

I am determined not to be in Pattaya during Songkran; question is were to go?

There are a species of persons that actually come to Pattaya for songkrawn and they save up their pennies and pre-book their flight especially so they can go and sit on the corner of Soi 8 with their water guns and terrorise passers by. Then, when the odd disgruntled Scandanavian objects, it is any excuse for a punch up and the whole episode ends with bloody noses and bruised testes.

I could stay in my apartment for ten days and order pizza or brave it and wear little clothing and shrink-wrap my mobile and wallet. What to do?

Arrive back in LOS tomorrow: watch out for arrival report in Travel section tomorrow evening...........

Yep, for all you young tots out there, I am one of your old codgers. I have been through 20 or so Songkrans but am now tired of the excesses carried out in Pattaya. I will happily go up country and relax in a more laid back atmosphere from now on.

Thapae Gate in Chiang Mai is a really "laid back" place. We will be waiting for you old codger! :o

Yep, for all you young tots out there, I am one of your old codgers. I have been through 20 or so Songkrans but am now tired of the excesses carried out in Pattaya. I will happily go up country and relax in a more laid back atmosphere from now on.

Thapae Gate in Chiang Mai is a really "laid back" place. We will be waiting for you old codger! :D

This sounds suspiciously like a set-up to me. Perhaps I should pass on your very kind invitation.

Thanks all the same. :o

Penang makes for a relaxing, civilized break. Lots of history (read up on it), good scenery (beach and town), great food, elegant bars, many bookstores, some interesting tourist spots, English spoken widely, friendlier than Thailand. It's quaint and funky yet modern and international as well.

I will probably go there during Songkran. However, most members here can't handle Penang because it lacks an overt sex scene. For them, the Philippines is a better choice.

I will probably go there during Songkran. However, most members here can't handle Penang because it lacks an overt sex scene. For them, the Philippines is a better choice.

Try the "Health Clubs" for massage or barber shops with a pole out front. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Penang makes for a relaxing, civilized break. Lots of history (read up on it), good scenery (beach and town), great food, elegant bars, many bookstores, some interesting tourist spots, English spoken widely, friendlier than Thailand. It's quaint and funky yet modern and international as well.

Thanks for that recommendation. I have never visted Penang and I would be taking Mrs Libya anyway. Quick question does she need an entry visa for Malaysia, in fact do I. I am British?

I'll pick up a guide book to Penang tomorrow.