Thailand Is #6 In Alcohol Consumption - Who Report

LaoPo

Heavy Alcohol Consumption in Thailand: :o

Searching the internet about Putin and 'his' Russia, I found this graph:

post-13995-1204330631_thumb.jpg Thailand is on 6th place... after Moldova, Reunion, Russia, St. Lucia, Dominica; #'s 7, 8, 9 and 10 are: Bahamas, Latvia, Haiti and Belarus...

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/guid...ml/nn3page1.stm

I searched further and found this report*, read for yourself:

http://www.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/Alcohol...se_Thailand.pdf

:D Not really a promising report.

* From 2004: World Health Organization and FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations - World drink trends 2003

LaoPo

thai(s) do love their whiskey!!! :o

I started to like it when i realised you can get it for 30BHT as opposed to Johnny Walker Black which comes in at a staggering 120BHTin my favourite haunt.

Have the Thai media started using the phrase "binge drinking" yet, being at no.6 they have every right to.

thai(s) do love their whiskey!!! :D

But Thailand shouldn't be proud to be amongst those 10 MOST HEAVY DRINKING Nations IN THE WORLD....look at their names again..... :o

Adults do influence the teeners too.....

Just this week reports came out in my own country and the -alcohol- drinking behavior of young kids, even starting at 11 years old (!!) is alarming; it's a very bad sign for the future of those countries, including my own (EU).

LaoPo

Does this survey account the huge amount of alcohol consumed by tourists? I notice the countries on the list are either former Soviet Union, or high volume tourist destinations that attract lots of hard drinkers. If they're just getting the total amount of alcohol produced and figuring out per capita consumption from there it's going to be off.

Then let's all make the effort to get us up a place or two. With Thaksven City lying 8th in the Premier League, we can all work together on this.

Hear, Hear. Come on farangs, let's help the Thais out on this one. An extra couple of pints each should do it. If the govrnment reduced the import tax on wine, we could even make them No. 1 :o:D:D

Does this survey account the huge amount of alcohol consumed by tourists? I notice the countries on the list are either former Soviet Union, or high volume tourist destinations that attract lots of hard drinkers.

Yes, blame it on Pattaya farangs. :D

:o

I have to say I was very surprised when I read the BBC report mentioned in the OP, reason being that The Republic of Ireland and Luxembourg normally figure very highly in these statistics. So I checked the source material, the WHO 2004 report:

http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publica...04_overview.pdf

Perhaps I am misreading but I am seeing very different data to that published in the BBC article.

I see the top 10 countries for alcohol consumption as being:

Croatia 12.66

Germany 12.89

Bermuda 12.92

Reunion 13.39

France 13.54

Republic of Moldova (the) 13.88

Ireland 14.45

Czech Republic (the) 16.21

Luxembourg 17.54

Uganda 19.47

Thailand seems to be number 42, behind the US, the UK and many European countries.

Could someone verify this?

I have to say I was very surprised when I read the BBC report mentioned in the OP, reason being that The Republic of Ireland and Luxembourg normally figure very highly in these statistics. So I checked the source material, the WHO 2004 report:

Perhaps I am misreading but I am seeing very different data to that published in the BBC article.

Croatia 12.66

Germany 12.89

Bermuda 12.92

Reunion 13.39

France 13.54

Ireland 14.45

Luxembourg 17.54

Uganda 19.47

Thailand seems to be number 42, behind the US, the UK and many European countries.

Ireland only number 7! Preposterous! :o

Croatia 12.66

Germany 12.89

Bermuda 12.92

Reunion 13.39

France 13.54

Ireland 14.45

Luxembourg 17.54

Uganda 19.47

Its in reverse order. Ireland is number 4. Still surprising they were beaten by Uganda and the Czech Republic. Luxembourg is understandable.

Edited by ade100

Croatia 12.66

Germany 12.89

Bermuda 12.92

Reunion 13.39

France 13.54

Ireland 14.45

Luxembourg 17.54

Uganda 19.47

I can't verify this as the WHO/global status 2004 report has 94 pages.... :o

Anyway, the BBC graph spoke of 'pure' alcohol and maybe there's the difference...I don't know.

LaoPo

i think the difference in the rankings is that in the o.p., the graph was spirit consumption. your figures are alcohol consumption.

Croatia 12.66

Germany 12.89

Bermuda 12.92

Reunion 13.39

France 13.54

Ireland 14.45

Luxembourg 17.54

Uganda 19.47

Its in reverse order. Ireland is number 4. Still surprising they were beaten by Uganda and the Czech Republic. Luxembourg is understandable.

No great surprise but the Czech Republic (best beer in the world IMO) is however first in beer consumption followed by Ireland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...tion_per_capita . Uganda nowhere to be seen. Wonder what they sup there.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

post-13995-1204330631_thumb.jpg Thailand is on 6th place... after Moldova, Reunion, Russia, St. Lucia, Dominica; #'s 7, 8, 9 and 10 are: Bahamas, Latvia, Haiti and Belarus...

* From 2004: World Health Organization and FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations - World drink trends 2003

LaoPo

Well, at last Thailand is in the top ten of something - I was beginning to lose hope.

I am currently looking for a new job. I contacted some headhunters by e-mail, but I feel their response is quite slow. E.g. I submitted some CV by their website, and I expected at least to get an automated e-mail reply confirming the receipt.

Anyone know some reputable webpages, addresses?

Thank you.

Moo9

I suspect Thailand must be in the top five for number of coups per century! Also, isn't Thailand number three for gun deaths in the world? That being the case there must be some linkage between all of them!

LaoPo

There is only one way to really stop drinking and being happy and living a productive life-

http://www.aathailand.org/index.html

Edited by Pundi64

Alcohol and the national lottery on top of a sub par work ethic (which by itself would be somewhat acceptable without an addiction to the former two items) is what keeps 85% of all Thais in the poor house.

Ireland 4th?? Bloody hel_l .. for crize sake lads drink up, it's only 10 in the morning. We're on the tear tonight..till Christmas. Mmmm. But which Christmas?

The problem of over comsumption here (Ireland), and it is a serious one, is not only the men. It is fuelled by the colossal binge drinking of the under 25's FEMALES. They have the distinction, if my memory serves me still, of being number one in Europe. And by that probably number 1 in the world. Not something to be proud of.

Thai women in my experience do not drink much if at all. My GF can hardly handle half a Spy daeng and she is fit to be carried home. So Thais from what I've seen are light drinkers in comparison so I would expect them to be nowhere near the top.

Also, isn't Thailand number three for gun deaths in the world?

Absolutely not! There's a well documented cock-up in Nationmaster's figures concerning gun deaths. They mis-read the Thai figures for gun-related crimes and reported them as deaths, so there's something like a factor of 4 error in the number they report - 20,000 instead of 5,000.

You can't trust Nationmaster, I'm afraid.

A quick search for Nationmaster... here's the post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1671983

Alcohol and the national lottery on top of a sub par work ethic (which by itself would be somewhat acceptable without an addiction to the former two items) is what keeps 85% of all Thais in the poor house.

Well there’s that and the lack of real effort by the upper classes to truly provide a free and competent education system to the lower classes – seems almost to be a concerted effort by the haves to keep the masses poor, uneducated (and it also seems drunk).

Well there’s that and the lack of real effort by the upper classes to truly provide a free and competent education system to the lower classes – seems almost to be a concerted effort by the haves to keep the masses poor, uneducated (and it also seems drunk).

That's typical "I'm a victim" (by proxy) talk.

God helps those who help themselves... fortune favors the brave... no risk - no reward... you gotta be innit to winnit. Etc.

That's typical "I'm a victim" (by proxy) talk.

God helps those who help themselves... fortune favors the brave... no risk - no reward... you gotta be innit to winnit. Etc.

Yes, yes, I see your point. Obviously the educated upper class person has equal opportunity to become a success as the illiterate lower class bloke. Same chances to succeed, same chances to fail – yes, yes, certainly same same. Same understanding of how the world works, etc. ---- Not. :D

I don’t think most of them even know they are a victim – so hard for them to develop that as a defense as to why they are still in the lower class. (hence my proxy vote)

God? If we want to talk along those lines I would agree that Buddhism actually does help to keep the lower class down. All this hocus pocus about those that have, have because they have been good in past lives, and those that have-not, have-not because of how they were in past lives is complete and udder <deleted> that only helps to pacify the masses. IMHO the dhamma based beliefs tend to be far too accepting of fate/karma and do not help to promote a strong work ethic. The western vision of work ethic tends to relate directly to setting goals to obtain the things that one desires – not quite an easy thing to incorporate into the desire = suffering of the dhamma.

Wouldn’t a reasonable education system help to at least give the masses an understanding of risk/reward and return on their efforts? If they don’t understand the concept hard for them to put it into practice.

Note: Not that any of this really matters all that much to me from a practical stand-point. It would take decades for real changes in the education system to have much affect. As for now I too benefit from the centuries of effort by the Thai upper class to keep the lower classes poor and uneducated - Keeps things cheap for me as well.

What was this tread about anyway?