Koh Tao Recommendations

My friend has just invited me to go with her to Koh Tao- I have never been there in the 3+ years I have lived on Phangan. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Where to stay, eat, drink? I don't dive. Is there wi-fi anywhere?

Thanks

Where would you like to stay, Mae Haad, next to the pier, Sairee or on one of the beaches?

Mae Haad and Sairee have plenty of very good restaurants and wi-fi in these two places is everywhere.

Sairee beach:

Blue Wind - bungalows, cheap & basic, starting from 350

Sairee Hut - bungalows, starting from 700

Simple Life - rooms starting from 500

Sunset Buri - bungalows starting from 700, daily clean sheets & towels, pool

Big Blue - accommodation when diving

SilverSand - bungalows from 900, but currently a bit noisy in the morning due to construction

Seashell - several bungalows, hot in the morning since there's hardly any shade

Sairee Cottage - fairly new bungalows

These resorts are quite close to the center of Sairee. Busiest beach bars: Lotus bar (open till 2am), Fizz Beach Lounge (open till 1am), Vibe and Bans. After midnight: AC bar, Maya, Moov & Intouch which are open until the morning (and usually filled with drunk annoying tourists).

just to report back, i stayed in a place my friends reserved for me which was ocean view bungalows on sairee beach. wouldn't really recommend it, but it was cheap and a good location. there was no wifi in any of the other bungalows i looked at, though there are a few restaurants and bars that have it. found sairee too full of white, upper middle class college kids who had seemingly no interest in thai culture. lots of annoying crowds at the north end of the beach near lotus. i preferred the bars at the southern end ie. maya, but it might usually be more busy there than it was this week. the island is beautiful- took a snorkelling trip with phoenix divers and saw reef sharks, spent a couple hours at the postcard-perfect koh nangyuan.

just to report back, i stayed in a place my friends reserved for me which was ocean view bungalows on sairee beach. wouldn't really recommend it, but it was cheap and a good location. there was no wifi in any of the other bungalows i looked at, though there are a few restaurants and bars that have it. found sairee too full of white, upper middle class college kids who had seemingly no interest in thai culture. lots of annoying crowds at the north end of the beach near lotus. i preferred the bars at the southern end ie. maya, but it might usually be more busy there than it was this week. the island is beautiful- took a snorkelling trip with phoenix divers and saw reef sharks, spent a couple hours at the postcard-perfect koh nangyuan.

You made it there! Still never been myself. One day.