Travelling To Cm In October.

Merangue

Hi folks.

I have attempted numeruos searches on the forum but can't find an answer to these specific questions. Perhaps it is because they are really stupid questions but i will let you be the judge of that yourselves.

Hopefully one or more of you will be able to help anyway.

I will be travelling up to CM from Bangkok in the latter half of October for 4-5 days or so. I know this is the Rainy season but i would ideally like to travel up there by train rather than fly. Prior to this trip i will be flying return to Roi Et for a few days as well and would personally prefer an overnight train journey to CM rather than yet another flight. Plus the train is cheaper, especially when paying for 2. :o

Is there likely to be any problems with flooding or for that matter any other things in October that would effect the trains in general or am i reading too much into the flood stories?

Secondly i am travelling with a Thai woman who has never travelled beyond Isaan and Bangkok before. The trip to Chang Mai is more of a 40th birthday treat for her than anthing else; Just being in Thailand is a treat for me already; are there any trips or sights that are a must for a Thai visiting for the first time? Any places or activities there that a Thai would remember more than others?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies recieved.

If you look at the chart, the average 121 mm of rain throughout the entire month is probably concentrated in the first half of the month. Sept. is twice as rainy, and November is a third as rainy as the whole month of October. Not likely to be a problem with flooding, in late October.

Wife and I love the overnight train between CM and BKK. Cheaper than a hotel and very comfortable. The first-class sleeper is nice if you want privacy and security for luggage. Second class A/C sleeper is more fun, watching fellow passengers. Bring eyemask and earplugs. They leave the lights on all night and even with the curtain on your sleeper, it's pretty bright. We worry about luggage security with 2nd class sleeper, but we secure luggage with bicycle cord and have never had any problems. Still, I sleep with our laptop and wife sleeps with our important documents when traveling 2nd class. Bring a sweater (jumper). The aircon really cranks.