Motorbike Success Stories

amexpat

We all know riding a bike/scooter in Thailand is risky business.

Many riders I talk to have had some sort of mishap. And we hear too much too often about the sensationally bad experiences.

But some have been riding for years without spilling. Some people wear helmets, go slow, stay SOBER, and seem to do OK. Luck is the wild card.

What about you? Safe and happy riding over the months/years?

(I'd really rather not hear about getting drunk/pissed/blotto and crashing. That's a self-inflicted wound).

Thanks for sharing.

Five years and about 70,000 kilometers without a real accident. Was hit from behind three times, and touched the back of taxi acting erratic on Sukumvit.

Never a single drink before driving my motorcycle. Complete and total focus on the driving, no wool gathering. I keep a bubble of death around the bike at all times, the three that snuck up on me from behind were still my fault, its my job to keep my area clear front, rear and both sides.

Seen a lot of ugly ones, sure dont want to join them.

This is not an environment for amateurs.

I thought this thread was just for good luck stories, which would skew the sample. But the OP seems seriously asking for the good and the bad.

I have not been drunk or impaired since 1965. I drive too fast, but that has never caused a wreck because I drive totally focused at high speed, less so at moderate speeds.

As a tourist on Doi Inthanon, unaccustomed to the rental bike or to mountain curves, I hit a barrier marker and almost cut a main artery, far from help. Managed to drive to the first aid station.

On a visa run in 2005, hit a dog outside Mae Taeng, the dog's fault. Lost a shoulder bone that required two surgeries.

Last year, just riding through Chiang Mai, I swerved to avoid a tuktuk that crossed in front of me illegally, and I crushed my leg. It has taken over four months for the swelling to go down in my lower leg.

I have ridden maybe 54,000 km in less than five years, way above the average. It is very, very, very dangerous to drive any motorbike anywhere in Thailand, dry sober.

I have an old 1991 Kawasaki ZZR1100 (aka ZX11) motorcycle which still goes rather well. Sooo....................

Apart from:

1. Flipping the bike on the grass in front of the crowd at the Cricket 6's whilst completely drunk

2. Running off the straight at the Chiang Mai Speedway whilst partially drunk

3. Falling down after forgetting to put my feet down when stopped whilst completely drunk

4. Sliding across an intersection or 2 whilst completely drunk

I have had very incident and pain free lifetime on bikes in Thailand. I have ridden from north to south and east to west and everywhere in between.

I always wear a top quality Shoei helmet around town and quality protective clothing whilst on the highway. Of course I never exceed the speed limit when I am parked or stopped at a red traffic signal.

Lost many friends over the years on bikes in Thailand but I still love cranking up the old Kwaka.

BTW PB, how is the dog managing without the shoulder bone?

Edited by Blinky Bill

Moved to Chiangmai two years ago this summer and have used a scooter and motorcycle here from day one as my sole means of self-propelled transport, often two-up, occasionally with three on board. No accidents of any kind, a result of both good fortune and more than twenty years of serious two-wheeled experience before I came, including five on high-speed race tracks (where I did have my full share of accidents, some at very high speeds, but none involving large solid objects).

ummm.... is this little story appropriate?

http://www.roseofsuthep.com/riding_phuket.html

Not exactly. The writer scoffs at helmets and likes to get his pulse racing. I just want to get around pleasantly and safely. For excitement, there are other kinds of rides here (you know, elephants, long-tail boats :o )and I want to remain fit enough to enjoy them.

Mostly, I was looking for reports from the people who have not had problems because I was wondering if it's like airplanes - we hear about the ones that crash but not the millions of routine flights. I don't know so I ask.

While stone sober and touring the Maekhong, I hit a drunk dog that threw me for a flip and ended up with the bike on top of me, breaking a few bones [ luckily had helmet on that got smashed], but as a result I met my wife, so thanks to that drunk dog.

After that event 7 yrs ago, I've been paranoid about riding, but just recently got a decent bike with big wheels that i can hit a dog with and not go for a flip.

Warning to dog owners.........keep your dogs off the roads!!!

Maybe I'm lucky... 18 years of big, fast bikes in Thailand, in dirt and tarmac at fast speeds, mostly stoned...Never even close to an accident

"Maybe I'm lucky..." That gets you nominated for understatement of the year. :o

We all know riding a bike/scooter in Thailand is risky business.

Many riders I talk to have had some sort of mishap. And we hear too much too often about the sensationally bad experiences.

But some have been riding for years without spilling. Some people wear helmets, go slow, stay SOBER, and seem to do OK. Luck is the wild card.

What about you? Safe and happy riding over the months/years?

(I'd really rather not hear about getting drunk/pissed/blotto and crashing. That's a self-inflicted wound).

Thanks for sharing.

I am a very lucky boy, been riding all my life, way too fast,. had a real close one and went airborne on the 331, only my off road experience saved me from a total wipeout im sure, that was on a hayabusa, the last road bike i owned in thailand,.now i only ride off road and that includes on road in cambodia, if that makes sense ( and it will if you have travelled around cambodia ),.i love the dirt and i wont give that up til health stops me,im off on friday for a week around cambodia, and im not even riding to the border, i find tarmac boring now and dangerous,we are getting to the border with the bikes in the back of a pick up ! much safer, i hope ! :o

post-41326-1204643174_thumb.jpg

Well, moved up here a month ago..a Vespa rider since birth, have never really biffed except once back in Arizona on a Goldwing doing 80 on I-10 without a helmet. Sold it the day after I got outta the hospital, figured it was the one chance..

As soon as I moved here, bought me another Vespa ( '79 P200E ) and made the attempt to join in the madness. So far, so good...even if they drive on the wrong side of the road, got used to that already, but man..it's like a "E" ticket ride here..intense..heart thumping..feels good kinda thangy..

Like Mexico on steriods, I guess there are rules of the road, but haven't seen anyone yet pay any attention to 'em.

Did I say intense....

I do enjoy it though, makes me feel alive knowing that it could end at any second here.

So, if ya see a dark blue '79 P200E going pretty slow on the side of the road and the guy has very white colored knuckles in the throws of a death grip on the brakes, eyes wide open, and the thai wife on the back constantly yelling "jai yen baby, jai yen..

It's me.

Having a blast riding here, but unlike riding back home, no iPod on, and full concentration on what I'm doing.

Yippie ya yo kai yeah!

Well, moved up here a month ago..a Vespa rider since birth, have never really biffed except once back in Arizona on a Goldwing doing 80 on I-10 without a helmet. Sold it the day after I got outta the hospital, figured it was the one chance..

As soon as I moved here, bought me another Vespa ( '79 P200E ) and made the attempt to join in the madness. So far, so good...even if they drive on the wrong side of the road, got used to that already, but man..it's like a "E" ticket ride here..intense..heart thumping..feels good kinda thangy..

Like Mexico on steriods, I guess there are rules of the road, but haven't seen anyone yet pay any attention to 'em.

Did I say intense....

I do enjoy it though, makes me feel alive knowing that it could end at any second here.

So, if ya see a dark blue '79 P200E going pretty slow on the side of the road and the guy has very white colored knuckles in the throws of a death grip on the brakes, eyes wide open, and the thai wife on the back constantly yelling "jai yen baby, jai yen..

It's me.

Having a blast riding here, but unlike riding back home, no iPod on, and full concentration on what I'm doing.

Yippie ya yo kai yeah!

Good on you, mate! Doesn't matter what you ride, or how fast or slow you ride.

The point is you are a rider, who lives (and dodges) life in the fast lane here in Thailand.

I raise my glass in toast to a fellow survivor! Knock on wood.... :o

Did I say intense....

It's me.

Yippie ya yo kai yeah!

Good on you, mate! Doesn't matter what you ride, or how fast or slow you ride.

The point is you are a rider, who lives (and dodges) life in the fast lane here in Thailand.

I raise my glass in toast to a fellow survivor! Knock on wood.... :o

I'd rather walk than get on a bike in Thailand. Sad to say that my thoughts were re-confirmed earlier this evening, At about 8pm I passed an accident near the Kawilla barracks and as I approached it on the opposite side of the road the cop was lifting up the the white sheet to reveal the victim. A guy in his 30's maybe. Later this evening , the only signs were the pool of blood and several pairs of plastic gloves that had been discarded by the emergency services. Sorry for the reality check. Very disturbing.

Edited by KevinHUNT

I have an old 1991 Kawasaki ZZR1100 (aka ZX11) motorcycle which still goes rather well.

Rumor has it that its a bit of a wheezer on the run from Lampang back to CNX though :o .

Forget the drunks, being drunk, driving on the wrong side of the road, trucks pulling in front of you, etc. I don't need em as I can crash quite adeptly with none of the above. Just fun corners above Mae Salong are enough to put me into the guardrails.

149257482_3hFde-L.jpg

I've managed to survive the atrocities of traffic in in Bangers and CNX but sweet corners seem to be my undoing.

To the OP's question though loads of miles under the belt but no problems pottering around the city...as of yet.

Edited by FTB

I have an old 1991 Kawasaki ZZR1100 (aka ZX11) motorcycle which still goes rather well.

Rumor has it that its a bit of a wheezer on the run from Lampang back to CNX though :o .

Yeah you got that right FTB. We couldn't do the Lampang Riverside to Maddog in 45 minutes. We'll try to knock off the 2 minutes next time.

The Challenge is still open to all.

have been riding brit bikes in thailand , on and of for 40 years, had an old ex 500 ex army Bsa in the mid 60,s rode from north of Ubon to singapore but came back by train , mrs nignoy had a prang on her bsa on a trip down to rayong in the 80,s she was badly bruised but no broken bones,I have had quite a few minor scrapes with tuk tuks and the odd bus. the worst one was on riverside in Mukdaharn in 91, got hit up the arse by a bus, flew across the road and landed on the roof of a french nuns citroen c2, I flattened it completely, would have loved to see her insurance claim form :D A man just fell on the roof of my car sir ,tthe car was scrap and I broke my leg, the old bsa had a smashed rear light and a bent number plate :o Nignoy

Spent many years on dirtbikes and later roadbikes in my younger years. Have mainly driven the car in Thailand, but lately have neen borrowing my gfs Mio. Forgot what fun a bike is, even one where the handlebars hit your knees. Have put in quite a few k's on that without accident (but certainly not without incident).

So have the bug again and will be buying a real bike for myself next month. Interesting driving both to see how cars and bikes interact here. Just one example (or it would be a book). Car waiting at T junction, motorbike approaches on right, he waits, the bike then turns without signalling...he waited for nothing. Soon he learns not to wait. Bike approaching side street, car just barges in front of him. He learns to swerve into the outer lane when approaching a side street, without looking of course. Sorry one more my favourite: bike appoaches intersection to turn left, swings around without even glancing to see if traffic coming. Gotta get me one of those amulets. :o

Basically Thai car drivers just ignore your existence if on a bike, you are invisible and irrelevant, probably a pecking order tossed into that phychosis for good measure. Basically the incompetence and recklessness of both have contributed to the situation. If wanting to ride, then learn to understand how the traffic "usually" works asap. Predetermining a likely act of stupidity will avert many an accident.

I'd rather walk than get on a bike in Thailand. Sad to say that my thoughts were re-confirmed earlier this evening, At about 8pm I passed an accident near the Kawilla barracks and as I approached it on the opposite side of the road the cop was lifting up the the white sheet to reveal the victim. A guy in his 30's maybe. Later this evening , the only signs were the pool of blood and several pairs of plastic gloves that had been discarded by the emergency services. Sorry for the reality check. Very disturbing.

No worries, Kevin. For those who have never ridden a motorcycle much, I can see how Thailand would be considered one of the most terrifying places on earth to ride. I have very good friends here, long time expats, who were professional drivers and/or racers back in the West, who say "No way" (am I ever going to ride a bike here).

For those of us who choose to take this calculated risk, I can say that the traffic here is no worse than Mexico City, or Teheran, in terms of craziness and unpredictability...

If you own your own 4 wheel vehicle you are no doubt better protected.....but not immune. I think I have seen just as many nasty car accidents here as motorbike accidents. And I have seen some bad ones. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop driving a car, because I saw a bad car accident.

Central Chiang Mai is miserable for car owners, what with narrow streets, heavy traffic and very limited parking, etc. Sitting hunched over in the back of a rot daeng, sweating buckets, and sucking in diesel while sitting stopped in traffic is not an appealing option, either. And it's hard to carry much shopping when walking or riding a bicycle.

I think I'll keep the bike! :o

Oh, and on thread, I've only been knocked down once, at Nimblehymen and Huay Kaew intersection by a crazy gal who was looking right while stopped, and gunned it left into me, without looking. Scratch and a bruise on my leg, right as rain shortly thereafter. Ride every day here in town, all over, and have done numerous multi-day loop trips, mostly solo, all over Northern Thailand, mostly at ermmmm....a "brisk" pace.

Keep the shiny side up! And fasten those seat belts, if you're a cage driver....

I have yet to lay it down. As I have been told, there are two types of riders, those who have laid it down and those how have yet yo lay it down.

On a sad note, my friend's best friend and bike builder (thai) was found hit and run in the middle of the street near Wat Jed Yot... Some bastard hit him hard enough to kill him by blunt force trauma (no helmet, his fault) fuc_king scum to drive off after a hit like that, if they were even sober enough to know they hit something...

stay safe out there people...

.....no worse than Mexico City, or Teheran, in terms of craziness and unpredictability...

Very faint praise

....Keep the shiny side up! And fasten those seat belts, if you're a cage driver....

Nice post, thanks.

Two months on a bike and every time I start it up I want to reach for my seat belt.

Nimblehymen :o and Huay Kaew is where 4-wheel genii like to use the oncoming traffic lane to pass me making a right turn. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it.

.....no worse than Mexico City, or Teheran, in terms of craziness and unpredictability...

Very faint praise....

Never been to Tehran (but would love to).

Did spend a week in the back of taxis in Mexico City about ten years ago, and I seem to remember being impressed with the speed, flow and general (dare I say it?) efficiency of the driving.

Largest city in the f'n world, Lots of everything on the road - (does 10% Volkswagen Beetle seem about right?).

It did seem to move...

maybe my memories are clouded ')

4-wheel genii like to use the oncoming traffic lane to pass me making a right turn. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it.

I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it. I couldn't believe it. Now I expect it.

No worries, Kevin. For those who have never ridden a motorcycle much, I can see how Thailand would be considered one of the most terrifying places on earth to ride. I have very good friends here, long time expats, who were professional drivers and/or racers back in the West, who say "No way" (am I ever going to ride a bike here).

Reminds me of guy, about 20 some years ago, a new arrival who was a recently retired LA police motorcycle cop. Mr. GT-Rider had rented him out, or helped him rent a small bike, maybe a Honda Dream, for the day and the poor bloke ended driving down Chang Moi Rd and into the middle of the Worarot mess in the afternoon. The guy arrived back at the Stube clearly shaken and complaining about having been driving a motorcycle with white knuckles for the first time in his life and swearing he would never ride a motorcycle in Thailand again. But I think he did stay and learned to drive around town and get into the flow of things.

Had a hunch that sooner or later gravel rash would make an appearance here . . . :D

That was 11 years old going down a very steep hill on a push bike when the brakes gave out. Didn't quite make the right turn at the T section at the bottom. Do these things hurt less as a kid or does time just dilute it? :o

I also spend more time in town and as the other poster said a bike is much easier to get around on, I really couldn't be bothered with the hassle of the car anymore. Will just use it to run the kids to school.

Far be it from me to wish that I had interesting or gory stories but..

As of this year I have been riding 'big bikes' for fifty years and I recall one of my bikes tipping over after I parked it because I didn't put the kickstand down properly (hot girls in bikinis were watching and I was busy strutting). Other than that (thumping loudly on my wooden desk), motorcycles have been pretty good to me.

And not that I am merely a neighborhood rider. I have covered pretty much the entire US including Hawaii and Alaska for some thirty years, many years of riding in Europe, India, and now the last seven years in Thailand. As in flying, total awareness seems to be the key to surviving our own adventures...