Flying Into Laos

~G~

I am planning to fly into Luang Prabang from Bangkok or Chiang Mai for a short stay of about one week. The idea was to get Visa on arrival.

I have spaces in my passport, for say, around 6 average size stamps, however the spaces are on different pages and none of the passport pages is completely empty.

I recall from a previous visit to Laos that the visa and the related stamps took a full passport page. Do I have to get a new passport just for that short visit (adding pages in not an option), or do they also have a visa that does not occupy the full page?

I am planning to fly into Luang Prabang from Bangkok or Chiang Mai for a short stay of about one week. The idea was to get Visa on arrival.

I have spaces in my passport, for say, around 6 average size stamps, however the spaces are on different pages and none of the passport pages is completely empty.

I recall from a previous visit to Laos that the visa and the related stamps took a full passport page. Do I have to get a new passport just for that short visit (adding pages in not an option), or do they also have a visa that does not occupy the full page?

I think you need a new passport. The Laos visa is a sticker that takes up the whole of one page and then you have the entry stamp and exit stamp from Laos plus the re-entry to Thailand.

The Laos visa is a sticker that takes up the whole of one page and then you have the entry stamp and exit stamp from Laos plus the re-entry to Thailand.

I have seen also non-sticker visas (I found the attached photo online), but they still take a very big space.

post-14526-1204537087_thumb.jpg

I went to Laos about 5/6 months ago via Nong Khai and the couple in front of me was turned away due to lack of visa pages.

Get some extra pages inserted into your passport first - no need for a whole new one, most likely. Depending on your nationality, it's not too hard to get extra pages inserted - just plan on spending a few hours in Bangkok and stop off at your embassy.

I went to Laos about 5/6 months ago via Nong Khai and the couple in front of me was turned away due to lack of visa pages.

Yeah, I heard similar stories. I didn't like "The Terminal", and don't want to play the main part in real life! :o

Get some extra pages inserted into your passport first - no need for a whole new one, most likely. Depending on your nationality, it's not too hard to get extra pages inserted - just plan on spending a few hours in Bangkok and stop off at your embassy.

I checked it with my Embassy - impossible for my nationality. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Edited by ~G~

Depending on your nationality, it's not too hard to get extra pages inserted

If you're a Brit it's totally impossible, I think the rest of Europe is the same.

Actually I think the US is one of the few countries that still do this, rather odd considering the security paranoia of the US govenment :o

Edited by Crossy