The Dark Side

paul1970

I had Sunday lunch at the Peacock place yesterday, were 7 of us in total and it was a disgrace, 2 of the guys had one mouthful and left it, the beef tasted like it had been cooked the previous Sunday, the portions were kiddies size, and 7 people who won't be going back again.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

When in town I usually do the "sunday lunch" at the New Inn (Soi Kao Talo), its not brilliant but edible.

Best sunday lunch is probably "The Sportsman" (Soi 13, unfortunately not the dark side) ....... The homemade Leek & Potato soup was out of this world !!

"The Queen Vic" on Soi 6 comes a close second, none of the above is based on cost, only taste etc.

Edited by davewil

Since I did not fancy Thai, we cancelled and went to Peacock for a nice Sunday roast and good Thai food.

Apart from my passing reference a few pages ago, this the first mention of the Peacock that I've noticed on this thread.

I haven't been there for over 2 years, but the breakfast used to be OK. My wife didn't think much of the Thai food so I haven't been back.

Maybe be it's improved now. Anyone else have views on the Peacock food?

On the subject of breakfasts - every now And then I feel like a good English fry up, but don't really want to drive all the way to Pattaya.

Any suggestions on the Darkside? for places serving good breakfasts and open before midday?

I'll start the ball rolling:

Peacock, Outback (never tried it, but heard that it is good)

Haven't been to the Peacock in two years either, but from what I see posted by others it was a good decision.

The Outback bar is not exactly a French restaurant, but the food is ok. Me personally I do not like their F&C (Fish is cut into pieces, so it rsembles rather fishfingers than F&C), but according to Bob he sells them several times a day, so there must be people who like them.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Outback, but rather for its great hospitality and its vicinity to my home.

I have lived in both the UK and America and IMHO the GREAT British Fry up is far superior and a good fry up should include all the following;

Orange Juice (lets get the healthy shit out the way)

1 Fried Egg

2 Bacon

2 Sausages

1 Fried Bread (an absolute must)

Fried Mushrooms

Fried Potato

Baked Beans or tinned tomatoes (someplaces serve both but I think thats pigging out a bit !!!)

Black Pudding (you can take it or leave it personally I leave it bleuah :o )

2 rounds of toast

Large mug of Tea

Now theres not many places in Thailand that can serve up a good replica of that, especially Thai run places with what they try to pass of as sausages, the sausage in an English breakfast must be English style sausages. Probably the 2 best breakfast that resemble the above is Yorkies in Jomtien and the Sportsmans in Soi 13. I have never eaten an English breakfast on the Dark side as to be truthful I don't think there would be anywhere that serves anything resembling the above but I would be quite happy to be corrected.

If in Bangkok the best breakfast I have experienced in Asia IMO is the Irish breakfast at the Dubliner at Washington Square an absolute gut buster.

Paul, the breakfast served at Sure Park is English style. I just told them to hold the beans and black pudding. However, it's not a gut buster, as you get a choice of one meat. It's also served with some sort of mash stuff, that has (I think) green veggies mixed in. (Another English thing?)

Also, the Bon Cafe over on Naklua Rd, which I mentioned earlier, has a choice of the English or American breakfast on their menu. I've only eaten the American version, so I can't comment on the English serving.

What I haven't found is a place that serves pancakes or waffles. Anybody know of a place here on the Dark Side that does that?

Since I did not fancy Thai, we cancelled and went to Peacock for a nice Sunday roast and good Thai food.

Apart from my passing reference a few pages ago, this the first mention of the Peacock that I've noticed on this thread.

I haven't been there for over 2 years, but the breakfast used to be OK. My wife didn't think much of the Thai food so I haven't been back.

Maybe be it's improved now. Anyone else have views on the Peacock food?

On the subject of breakfasts - every now And then I feel like a good English fry up, but don't really want to drive all the way to Pattaya.

Any suggestions on the Darkside? for places serving good breakfasts and open before midday?

I'll start the ball rolling:

Peacock, Outback (never tried it, but heard that it is good)

Haven't been to the Peacock in two years either, but from what I see posted by others it was a good decision.

The Outback bar is not exactly a French restaurant, but the food is ok. Me personally I do not like their F&C (Fish is cut into pieces, so it rsembles rather fishfingers than F&C), but according to Bob he sells them several times a day, so there must be people who like them.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Outback, but rather for its great hospitality and its vicinity to my home.

Raro, have you, (or anyone for that matter) tried the breakfasts at Outback?

I have lived in both the UK and America and IMHO the GREAT British Fry up is far superior and a good fry up should include all the following;

Orange Juice (lets get the healthy shit out the way)

1 Fried Egg

2 Bacon

2 Sausages

1 Fried Bread (an absolute must)

Fried Mushrooms

Fried Potato

Baked Beans or tinned tomatoes (someplaces serve both but I think thats pigging out a bit !!!)

Black Pudding (you can take it or leave it personally I leave it bleuah :o )

2 rounds of toast

Large mug of Tea

Now theres not many places in Thailand that can serve up a good replica of that, especially Thai run places with what they try to pass of as sausages, the sausage in an English breakfast must be English style sausages. Probably the 2 best breakfast that resemble the above is Yorkies in Jomtien and the Sportsmans in Soi 13. I have never eaten an English breakfast on the Dark side as to be truthful I don't think there would be anywhere that serves anything resembling the above but I would be quite happy to be corrected.

If in Bangkok the best breakfast I have experienced in Asia IMO is the Irish breakfast at the Dubliner at Washington Square an absolute gut buster.

Paul, the breakfast served at Sure Park is English style. I just told them to hold the beans and black pudding. However, it's not a gut buster, as you get a choice of one meat. It's also served with some sort of mash stuff, that has (I think) green veggies mixed in. (Another English thing?)

Also, the Bon Cafe over on Naklua Rd, which I mentioned earlier, has a choice of the English or American breakfast on their menu. I've only eaten the American version, so I can't comment on the English serving.

What I haven't found is a place that serves pancakes or waffles. Anybody know of a place here on the Dark Side that does that?

You can always try Macshit for pancakes! 555

That is on the Darkside of Suhkumvit

I have mate, most enjoyable and good value. Usual fair but no black pudding, the large version is called the great Aussie Breakfast if my memory is correct. Tam the lovely lady who used to work at the Peacock is there to serve it up. ( the one with the poor facial skin condition.....but lovel smile and nature to match )

Tam the lovely lady who used to work at the Peacock is there to serve it up.

Ouch, that must hurt Peacock, this young lady (and I think she's only 19 or so now, she started very young at Peacock) almost single handedly ran that place at times!

I went to Sure Park for steak 2 days ago, and unfortunately I must say it was quite a disappointment.

At 320 Baht for a 250 grams pepper steak, not particularly expensive, but not cheap either. Quality was just acceptable, I ordered fried potato, which in their opinion is a potato in its skin BBQed in aluminum foil!

Maybe we Belgians have some weird idea of baking potatoes, but we bake in a pan with either butter (terribly unhealthy, and hence very tasty :o ) or in olive oil (much healthier).

Additionally the pepper sauce is an insult. Gravy with pepper balls doesn't do it for me. For me, sauce is made with cream and brought to taste with whatever you want to call the sauce (pepper, mushrooms,...)

I indeed must say the steak at Manneken pis is much much better, along with their sauces. Would think roughly the same price or slightly higher (cream IS expensive!). And I can assure you that place is not one of my favourite hang outs, but it sure ain't the fault of the food (Western) which IMO is top notch. If ever there, try their Belgian beefstew. Just excellent!!!

Oh, and for the Americans here, even though I can hardly call American food "cuisine" I do have to admit the best ever steak I had in my entire life was in the USA.

Give me an authentic Texas steakhouse anytime (and I found Texans to be most hospital, albeit a little overly proud of their prairie/desert)!

• Like 1

nope, they are unfortunately not between my house and workplace, so I have never taken the right turn to eat there.

But I tried the new Chonlada coffee house that has so many varieties of breakfast on the menu that it is hard to choose from. I opted for the French version, which was nice and the coffee deserves an honourable mentioning!

The mash you describe is what is usually called in England Bubble and Squeak and would normally be given with the full english brekkie only on a monday as a way of using up any leftover vegetables from the roast dinner that is traditionally served on a Sunday and can contain any vegetables that where left cut up into small pieces and then shallow fried. Bubble and squeak being derived from the noise this concoction makes as it fries.

Also full english should be eaten with lashings of HP brown sauce and never ketchup. Getting hungry just thinking about it, it's been a while since I've had a heart attack on a plate :o

I don't know anywhere on the dark side with Pancakes or waffles but then again I can't say I've really looked as I don't see the attraction.

Theres not much I miss about Yankee food from my days in California apart from the great Salads that could be found at most restaurants, my weekend breakfast at Denny's which was always the Olympic Omlette (delicious, though IMO the rest of Denny's menu was dire) and my fav hamburger place was Carl Jr's way better than McD or BK.

Sorry, Bob. I don't want to start any national flame wars here :D , but the thought of baked beans and squash for breakfast makes me, and, I think, most Americans gag!

I'll take some pancakes or waffles in place of those beans and squash, thank you! :o:D

And what's with that "black pudding" and baked tomato too...yuck :D

Since every once in a while I do need a greasy spoon breakfast, I go for Dave's next door...same same but price is only B 65!

Tam the lovely lady who used to work at the Peacock is there to serve it up.

Ouch, that must hurt Peacock, this young lady (and I think she's only 19 or so now, she started very young at Peacock) almost single handedly ran that place at times!

I went to Sure Park for steak 2 days ago, and unfortunately I must say it was quite a disappointment.

At 320 Baht for a 250 grams pepper steak, not particularly expensive, but not cheap either. Quality was just acceptable, I ordered fried potato, which in their opinion is a potato in its skin BBQed in aluminum foil!

Maybe we Belgians have some weird idea of baking potatoes, but we bake in a pan with either butter (terribly unhealthy, and hence very tasty :D ) or in olive oil (much healthier).

Additionally the pepper sauce is an insult. Gravy with pepper balls doesn't do it for me. For me, sauce is made with cream and brought to taste with whatever you want to call the sauce (pepper, mushrooms,...)

I indeed must say the steak at Manneken pis is much much better, along with their sauces. Would think roughly the same price or slightly higher (cream IS expensive!). And I can assure you that place is not one of my favourite hang outs, but it sure ain't the fault of the food (Western) which IMO is top notch. If ever there, try their Belgian beefstew. Just excellent!!!

As I noted ealier, Monty, our preferrences in cuisine are incredibly governed by the culture in which we were raised. Most Americans (including this one) do not like the heavy, cream sauces that are so prevalent in French and Belgian food. We prefer, especially in recent years, more basic sauces.

As I reported earlier, I thoroughly enjoyed the filet mignon that I had at Sure Park. I had it with the mushroom sauce, which was gravy with mushrooms, served on the side. That is definitely "the American way" to prepare a steak.

As for the potatoes, that sounds like an error by the staff to me. Fried potatoes would certainly by just that, fried, in one way or another (either deep fried "chips", or pan fried, in one of several ways). What you described is a baked potato, which is prepared just as you described. The taste is added by putting sour cream and/or butter, to taste, after it's split open. (Personally, I prefer them with a charred skin, achieved by opening the foil for a couple of minutes before removing the potato from the oven or barbeque grill (the best way!).

As for "American cuisine", there's so little food that is truly American in origin that the food prepared in America is far too eclectic to specifically identify. Each area of the country "does it's own thing" with local foods, such as lobster and other seafood in the northeast, shrimp in Louisiana, crab in Baltimore, various seafoods in San Francisco, steak in Texas and the midwest, various greens in the southeast, Mexican influences in the southwest, etc. It's a very big country, you know! :D Oh, and I LOVE American food! :o:D:D

Any suggestions for the seafood with reasonable price and quality?

I'm starting my job here in central rd. As much as I can recall,

I was here when I was a kid, eating out at the end of the Jomtien, Pu-Pen seafood is an ok one...

:o ...a hello to everyone krub, I'm a Thai... :D

But I tried the new Chonlada coffee house that has so many varieties of breakfast on the menu that it is hard to choose from. I opted for the French version, which was nice and the coffee deserves an honourable mentioning!

Where is Chonlada located, raro? Did you happen to notice an "American breakfast" choice on the menu?

I indeed must say the steak at Manneken pis is much much better...If ever there, try their Belgian beefstew. Just excellent

Whereabouts is the Pis?

Also, as you are Belgian, what's your take on Patrick's Belgian restaurant in the food hall across from Mike's. I have heard good things about this place, including the steaks. Have you tried it and is it any good?

Any suggestions for the seafood with reasonable price and quality?

I'm starting my job here in central rd. As much as I can recall,

I was here when I was a kid, eating out at the end of the Jomtien, Pu-Pen seafood is an ok one...

:D ...a hello to everyone krub, I'm a Thai... :D

Aacha, we're primarily focussing on restaurants located east of Sukhumvit in this thread. I don't know of any really good seafood restaurants over here, since they don't seem to have dependable delivery of fresh fish. :D

My favorite seafood restaurant is located in Jomtien. It's called Ton Hat, and is located down the same road as the "Pinnacle Resort", on the opposite side of Sukhumvit from the Alangkarn sign. Drive to the end of that road, turn right (only choice), and drive to the last place on the road. Great barbequed giant prawns! You get 5 of these monsters in a 1/2 kilo serving for 350 baht. Other seafood is also good there, and less expensive, but that's my favorite. :o Great seaside setting, both indoor and outdoor seating. Hope you try and enjoy it. :D

Aacha, we're primarily focussing on restaurants located east of Sukhumvit in this thread. I don't know of any really good seafood restaurants over here, since they don't seem to have dependable delivery of fresh fish. :D

My favorite seafood restaurant is located in Jomtien. It's called Ton Hat, and is located down the same road as the "Pinnacle Resort", on the opposite side of Sukhumvit from the Alangkarn sign. Drive to the end of that road, turn right (only choice), and drive to the last place on the road. Great barbequed giant prawns! You get 5 of these monsters in a 1/2 kilo serving for 350 baht. Other seafood is also good there, and less expensive, but that's my favorite. :o Great seaside setting, both indoor and outdoor seating. Hope you try and enjoy it. :D

I'll try it real soon, with my incoming friends. A lot Thanks to you kub, patsfangr. Too bad, I dont have too much info for you guy's darkside.. But I'll come up with one in the future, if I do... :D

Manneke Pis is one of the first bars/restaurants on the right if you are approaching the lake from Sukhumvit,on Soi Siam Country Club. Go past the Black Pearl about 2 kms and it is located outside the VJ LAND estate, with which it shares a sign board. Just past Manneke Pis is the Outback (walking distance)

I agree -excellent Steak and Belgium Stew. Try the stew with mashed potatoes - very tasty. :o

Back to breakfasts - I'm an English traditionalist, but I did have pancakes in Hawaii many years ago, and they were very tasty. But I'm afraid the maple syrup is a step too far for this diabetic.

For a breakfast change - I love fried tomatoes on fried bread - deadly but delicious. And no-one has mentioned hash browns - or my particular favourite - lightly roast or boiled potatoes reheated/fried in a pan.

And how about eggs Benedict?

I'm feeling soooo hungry :D

I indeed must say the steak at Manneken pis is much much better...If ever there, try their Belgian beefstew. Just excellent

Whereabouts is the Pis?

Also, as you are Belgian, what's your take on Patrick's Belgian restaurant in the food hall across from Mike's. I have heard good things about this place, including the steaks. Have you tried it and is it any good?

Patrick's, definitely good food, but he has changed his customer base from the locals to the purely tourist trade (which btw business wise was a very smart move, as proved by his often packed place) so the prices are on the expensive side!

We really do get spoiled with the pricing on "our" side. Was walking around town last night and happened to peruse the menus of a couple farang tourist orented restaurants (nothing fancy mind you...just ordinary places in the tourist district around 2nd road and sois 7/8) and one place had the port cordon blue at B 350 and the plain old wiener schnitzel was like B 300!!!

Rung Thip does a perfectly acceptable (and large size) cordon blue for B 160 I believe or less than half the price. :o

Some of the Swiss places on soi Diamond off Walking Street do have good food and are not very expensive considering the location.

If you like good traditional Bavarian food you should try Ann's Garden in the Soi Khao Noi. It's at the begin of the Soi Khao Noi left beside the 7Eleven. Sure you get no crap there!

For those who are English: don't worry, there are not just Germans :o

I like the Hungarian beef stew at Rung Thip with those swiss dipplings thingies.. Dont know what it is by they are delicious!!

Those "dipplings" are called spatzle and are German potato dumplings. the go well with dishes that have lotsa gravy :D

Also, have to give the Belgian stew at the Pis a try...good Hungarian and Belgium stews...are we spoiled or what :D

One thing we are missing is a decent pizza joint. Dao and Tiano make them but they are only so-so :o

I like the Hungarian beef stew at Rung Thip with those swiss dipplings thingies.. Dont know what it is by they are delicious!!

I'm not fond of those dumplings. A bit dry and tasteless to me. I usually get a substitute of something or other for them. But I love the stew! Those big pieces of tender stew beef are very tasty. That's quite a plateful, too. Very filling.

We'll miss them while they're closed for a short vacation over the next 3 days.

One thing we are missing is a decent pizza joint. Dao and Tiano make them but they are only so-so :D

I agree with your point, John. The problem is the definition of a "good pizza". That's another dish that's really a matter of individual taste. Some like thin crust, some like thick (pan pizza). (I'm a "medium thick" myself.) Then there's the all important sauce. How much tomato? I like lots of tomato in the sauce. And the cheese? It's gotta be thick, quality mozzarella to get the "good" label from me. There are lots of people who would disagree on any one, or any combination of those 3 main ingredients. So, as I said, what's "good pizza"? :o

I assume you meant Ticino's as the second reference, right? I agree that it's only so-so for me. The dough is too thin, and the sauce lacks both enough tomato and enough cheese for me. Never tried it at Dao. I've seen 3 or 4 little places on various routes to Sukhumvit, but never tried them.

Has anybody found a hidden gem for Dark Side pizza? If so, can you provide your personal definition of "good pizza"? :D