The Dark Side

paul1970

Tried to locate this place today but couldn't find it, I now where crossroads beer bar is, I guess it must be down soi 47 some way as I was trying to find it from NPW, sure would be good if we find a real burger experience on the darkside as IMHO there isn't a real burger experience available anywhere in Pattaya though I must admit I haven't tried places like Bob's BBQ on the other side and McD's and BK is not what I would call a real burger either.

Paul, the best burger I've found in Pattaya is at Great American Rib, about 1.9 kms down Thepprasit Road (from Suk), on the left side. I've had Bob's, and I consider the GAR burger to be better. They also have, IMO, the best Margarita in town, and a nice assortment of imported beers. Adding my usual caveat, all food items are a matter of individual taste, but this huge burger is right on the money for me.

I also love their very meaty BBQ'd ribs; but I've seen some people say they don't like them at all.

But, of course, this is not on our Dark Side. It is, however, outside the southern edge of the seedy part of town; and very easy to get to from here. Nice atmosphere. Good service, and, overall, a good menu, IMO. Not cheap, but not premium prices either.

Went to Chester's for a full breakfast (but not a burger), and that was very good, for 120 Baht:

2 rashers of Bacon, 1 sausage, 1 fried egg, mushrooms, baked beans, 3 slices of fried tomato, 2 big thick & fluffy toast and butter. OJ and coffee or tea. And a few wedges of tangerine (?). Very tasty, and good value. Some might have wanted black pudding and/or kippers as well, but I am happy to avoid both of those beasts.

Improvement would be 2 eggs i.s.o. 1, and better quality OJ and coffee (I would pay a little more for that).

But overall a very nice breakfast, go try it!

Went to Chester's for a full breakfast (but not a burger), and that was very good, for 120 Baht:

2 rashers of Bacon, 1 sausage, 1 fried egg, mushrooms, baked beans, 3 slices of fried tomato, 2 big thick & fluffy toast and butter. OJ and coffee or tea. And a few wedges of tangerine (?). Very tasty, and good value. Some might have wanted black pudding and/or kippers as well, but I am happy to avoid both of those beasts.

Improvement would be 2 eggs i.s.o. 1, and better quality OJ and coffee (I would pay a little more for that).

Doesn't beat Chonlada for this American appetite, Max. That's 2 eggs, slice of ham, 3 strips of bacon, 1 English sausage, couple of slices of raw tomato, 3 pieces of bread (will toast on request), orange juice, and a cup of excellent coffee. That's for 158 Bt.

And they have several breakfast combo choices, including English, Swiss, and others; as well as a page full of mix and match options.

What I'm looking forward to is a report on the Fish and Chips at Chester's, which one poster said the owner seemed quite proud of.

The question I always ask when it comes to these cheap breakfasts is was it a real British style sausage or some thai crap made from what I term liquidized meat ? But this place certainly seems to have it's followers might just give it a go tomorrow.

2 rashers of Bacon, 1 sausage, 1 fried egg, mushrooms, baked beans, 3 slices of fried tomato, 2 big thick & fluffy toast and butter. OJ and coffee or tea. And a few wedges of tangerine (?). Very tasty, and good value. Improvement would be 2 eggs i.s.o. 1, and better quality OJ and coffee (I would pay a little more for that).

Nice report. I would also suggest 2 eggs (what's with this one business)...maybe dump the shrooms, beans, and tomato for another egg. Then you would have what we would call an American breakie :o

2 rashers of Bacon, 1 sausage, 1 fried egg, mushrooms, baked beans, 3 slices of fried tomato, 2 big thick & fluffy toast and butter. OJ and coffee or tea. And a few wedges of tangerine (?). Very tasty, and good value. Improvement would be 2 eggs i.s.o. 1, and better quality OJ and coffee (I would pay a little more for that).

Nice report. I would also suggest 2 eggs (what's with this one business)...maybe dump the shrooms, beans, and tomato for another egg. Then you would have what we would call an American breakie :D

Had the pleasure to try Chesters big breakfast this morning, price is actually 150baht but I found it good value and I'm glad to report that I will never feel the urge to cross Suk for breakfast again. The sausage and bacon where delicious, 1 egg is enough for me (got to keep that cholestrol down lads, :D but can always order an extra egg if thats your thing) and being Welsh I enjoy the shrooms and baked beans etc.

On my mission to Chesters I found opposite a place called Rung's which has been getting very good reports

So now I will have to try the breakfast here and compare, who would have known that we have so many choices over here, live's a bitch :o . By the way for all you Americans amongst us a Canadian reported that the burgers at Rung's are supposed to be very good. So who will be brave and try the burgers there and not forgetting the F&C at Chesters. I have a feeling these 2 places might become regular haunts for my Falang food intake plus my frequent trips to Rung Thip, oh shit I can already feel my allready too large waistline expanding even more, tilak is certainly not going to be happy :D

Edited by Buckwheat
URL removed, please see forum rules

Had the pleasure to try Chesters big breakfast this morning, price is actually 150baht but I found it good value and I'm glad to report that I will never feel the urge to cross Suk for breakfast again. The sausage and bacon where delicious, 1 egg is enough for me (got to keep that cholestrol down lads, :D but can always order an extra egg if thats your thing) and being Welsh I enjoy the shrooms and baked beans etc.

On my mission to Chesters I found opposite a place called Rung's which has been getting very good reports

So now I will have to try the breakfast here and compare, who would have known that we have so many choices over here, live's a bitch :o . By the way for all you Americans amongst us a Canadian reported that the burgers at Rung's are supposed to be very good. So who will be brave and try the burgers there and not forgetting the F&C at Chesters. I have a feeling these 2 places might become regular haunts for my Falang food intake plus my frequent trips to Rung Thip, oh shit I can already feel my allready too large waistline expanding even more, tilak is certainly not going to be happy :D

It's Chester's run! Yes, I was out shopping today, and decided that I was going to try the F&C for myself. It was a late lunch for me, due to my other business. I arrived at about 2:30. Chester was no where to be seen, but his wife, Ja, is the one who really runs the place. She's a very personable, intelligent (university educated) lady, who speaks very good English. We talked for a while, after my food arrived, since she is the cook. She told me that she loves to cook, and wants to keep going with it, rather than hire someone else. She emphasized very strongly that she understands that people have different tastes, and she will happily make any changes asked for, if possible.

As for the F&C, I was immediately optimistic when, after I ordered, a waitress brought the condiments basket, which included a bottle of malt vinegar. Clearly, they are serious about their F&C here, I thought. The fish, as Ja told me, is Dory. It was flaky, tender, and delicious; and cooked to a perfect crispiness outside, in a tasty, thin batter. Excellent, in every regard. The chips, which I had emphasized that I preferred browned, were just that. Slightly crisp, krinkle cuts, and delicious. Also on the plate were some peas, and 4 small slices of very sharp dill pickles.

This is, for the moment, my place for F&C, though I wish it were about 2 kms further down Nern Plub Warn. The good news is, however that you don't have to fight much NPW traffic, if you don't want to. Since it's located just a bit east of the railroad bridge, you can take one of those side roads either from Siam CC, or Khao Noi, and just make a quick turn east, then into the soi opposite the market, beside the 7-11.

I'm hoping to get some opinions on the F&C from our English friends here for comparison. This American is definitely going to be a repeater at Chester's; for other items also, since Ja is so very pleasant and anxious to please. Give it a try, and tell her that you're one of the guys from Thai Visa. I explained to her that this was where I heard of the place, and she was very enthused about that.

I also agree, though I neglected to mention it, that the heat and humidity are a problem there. Enclosed as it is, there is little, if any, breeze to cool it a bit.

I guess the answer is to take your swim trunks with you and take a refreshing dip after your meal :D

Funny that you mentioned it, because, as I was driving home, I thought about that, and regretted not asking Derrick if he'd ever considered enclosing it, and adding A/C. It would improve the overall experience considerably for those of us who can't take advantage of that "alternative location" option!

Your misses shouldn't really mind the lady bar aspect of this place...it is really well hidden and way way in the back. In fact, the first time I went to check it out, I almost went into one of the guest rooms in a corner area near the pool...one of the waitresses had to direct me to another door down a narrow passageway and around a couple corners :o It has its own "front" door and the working gals are not allowed to hang in the pool/resto area. They just come out once and awhile to pick-up a food order.

As I was alone, I ordered a plate of Kow Paht Kapow Moo in the air-conditioned section. Not only did it taste very good, but I didn't have to use my hands :D

I also tried Ruen Thip the other day. It was one of those rare occasions when the wife came with me and she said the Thai food was excellent - and believe me she is VERY fussy.

As I was alone, I ordered a plate of Kow Paht Kapow Moo in the air-conditioned section. Not only did it taste very good, but I didn't have to use my hands :D

Yes, despite the air-conditioning, it can get a little hot and steamy in their on occasion :o

Okay George, you convinced me. It's 5:15 Saturday and I was thinking where to go eat tonite. Yours, and all the other good reports of Chesters, convinces me that it is tonite's choice. But what to have...the full breakfast or the F&C's. Lucky for me, it's just a 5-8 minute walk. :D

Edited by jonniebkk

Okay George, you convinced me. It's 5:15 Saturday and I was thinking where to go eat tonite. Yours, and all the other good reports of Chesters, convinces me that it is tonite's choice. But what to have...the full breakfast or the F&C's. Lucky for me, it's just a 5-8 minute walk. :D

C'mon now, John. You're a Dark Side gentleman; not a Pattaya reprobate! You eat breakfast in the morning. PM is F&C's time! And, by the way, eat that fish with malt vinegar only. None of that crappy bottled tarter sauce on a nice piece of fish! :o

C'mon now, John. You're a Dark Side gentleman; not a Pattaya reprobate! You eat breakfast in the morning. PM is F&C's time! And, by the way, eat that fish with malt vinegar only. None of that crappy bottled tarter sauce on a nice piece of fish! :o

And don't forget to tell Ja that you're one of the 'Thai Visa' guys that I mentioned this morning. (No, I don't get a cut!) :D

Well, having trotted down to Chesters, here are a few more comments to add to those that have already been made. I think I have a couple important points to add that have not been mentioned previously. This was my first time eating at Chesters.

First, a couple housekeeping comments. As mentioned before, Chesters is located in a small private road (not numbered public soi) directly opposite the Nernplubwan wet market just east of the RR tracks. There is a 7-11 at the entrance to the road. If you are driving, don't be afraid to drive into the lane as there is a big parking area at the back. Chesters is located in the last shophouse building on the right. As to ambiance, it is a typical single-wide shop-house affair...a small bar, a few inside tables, and a couple outside on the sidewalk. The entire facade is open to the street and there is no air-conditioning but there are plenty of fans.

With that out of the way, on to the food. I arrived around 6:16 in the evening and this presented a small problem. I was greeted by the "Chester" of Chester's, a pleasant man, who went on to inform me that the kitchen closed at 6 o'clock. I said that was too bad as I had come to try the F&C, that had been highly recommended. This being the case, and likely that I was was a new customer, Chester offered to open the kitchen for me. This was generous of him, as he was in the middle of preparing a pot of Indian beef curry for his free football nite feed and there was already a small crowd of beer guzzling football fans gathered at the bar waiting for their free nosh. In fact, he even suggested I could just wait a few minutes and eat for free, but I was determined to try out a few dishes from the menu.

Coming from the land of the "breakfast available 24 hours" I was tempted to try one of the 3 breakfasts on offer. They range from B 80 to B 150. For those not so partial to English breakfasts, there is one with 3 eggs, toast, meats, and coffee - sans the beans, tomatos, and stuff. However, I wanted to try the F&C and that's what I ordered. For B 205, you get a smallish piece of white fish, lightly coated in batter and fried, some fries, and "mushy" peas. While certainly not large, the fish is of high quality. The lightly battered fish fillet is fried to a crispy golden brown and is fluffy and tasty. The fries and peas are nothing special but serve to fill out the plate. It is certainly one of the better F&Cs I have had in Patters and I will certainly go back when the F&C monkey perches on my shoulder again.

As mentioned above, this nite there was also a free buffet of beef curry, rice, and nan bread. Therefore, I availed myself of that too, only in the interests of providing my fellow Far Siders with some more insight on the cooking on offer. The curry was very good - but quite spicy. The beef was tender and there was plenty of it. I take it these free feeds are offered on nites when there is a popular football games on television. As to the menu in general, there are the breakfasts already mentioned, the typical English pub grub type dishes, and specials listed on the blackboard.

Finally, to polish off my meal, I ordered the apple pie and custard dessert. As they were out of apple, I had to settle for blueberry. While I am no expert on English desserts, this dish was a good sized portion of blueberry cake covered with a warm vanilla custard sauce. The sauce was not too sweat as can sometimes be the case and this polished off the meal nicely.

Overall, I was quite satisfied with Chester's. All the dishes I had were well prepared and decent value for money. The service staff are very pleasant and attentive and Chester too is a nice fellow. This place makes a nice addition to our list of Far Side eating establishments. I will definitely be back

FYI: They open for breakfast at 8:00 am, the kitchen closes at 6:00 pm, and the bar at 9:00 pm.

Edited by jonniebkk

Well, having trotted down to Chesters, here are a few more comments to add to those that have already been made. I think I have a couple important points to add that have not been mentioned previously. This was my first time eating at Chesters.

First, a couple housekeeping comments. As mentioned before, Chesters is located in a small private road (not numbered public soi) directly opposite the Nernplubwan wet market just east of the RR tracks. There is a 7-11 at the entrance to the road. If you are driving, don't be afraid to drive into the lane as there is a big parking area at the back. Chesters is located in the last shophouse building on the right. As to ambiance, it is a typical single-wide shop-house affair...a small bar, a few inside tables, and a couple outside on the sidewalk. The entire facade is open to the street and there is no air-conditioning but there are plenty of fans.

With that out of the way, on to the food. I arrived around 6:16 in the evening and this presented a small problem. I was greeted by the "Chester" of Chester's, a pleasant man, who went on to inform me that the kitchen closed at 6 o'clock. I said that was too bad as I had come to try the F&C, that had been highly recommended. This being the case, and likely that I was was a new customer, Chester offered to open the kitchen for me. This was generous of him, as he was in the middle of preparing a pot of Indian beef curry for his free football nite feed and there was already a small crowd of beer guzzling football fans gathered at the bar waiting for their free nosh. In fact, he even suggested I could just wait a few minutes and eat for free, but I was determined to try out a few dishes from the menu.

Coming from the land of the "breakfast available 24 hours" I was tempted to try one of the 3 breakfasts on offer. They range from B 80 to B 150. For those not so partial to English breakfasts, there is one with 3 eggs, toast, meats, and coffee - sans the beans, tomatos, and stuff. However, I wanted to try the F&C and that's what I ordered. For B 205, you get a smallish piece of white fish, lightly coated in batter and fried, some fries, and "mushy" peas. While certainly not large, the fish is of high quality. The lightly battered fish fillet is fried to a crispy golden brown and is fluffy and tasty. The fries and peas are nothing special but serve to fill out the plate. It is certainly one of the better F&Cs I have had in Patters and I will certainly go back when the F&C monkey perches on my shoulder again.

As mentioned above, this nite there was also a free buffet of beef curry, rice, and nan bread. Therefore, I availed myself of that too, only in the interests of providing my fellow Far Siders with some more insight on the cooking on offer. The curry was very good - but quite spicy. The beef was tender and there was plenty of it. I take it these free feeds are offered on nites when there is a popular football games on television. As to the menu in general, there are the breakfasts already mentioned, the typical English pub grub type dishes, and specials listed on the blackboard.

Finally, to polish off my meal, I ordered the apple pie and custard dessert. As they were out of apple, I had to settle for blueberry. While I am no expert on English desserts, this dish was a good sized portion of blueberry cake covered with a warm vanilla custard sauce. The sauce was not too sweat as can sometimes be the case and this polished off the meal nicely.

Overall, I was quite satisfied with Chester's. All the dishes I had were well prepared and decent value for money. The service staff are very pleasant and attentive and Chester too is a nice fellow. This place makes a nice addition to our list of Far Side eating establishments. I will definitely be back

FYI: They open for breakfast at 8:00 am, the kitchen closes at 6:00 pm, and the bar at 9:00 pm.

From what I see, from reading posts and speaking to owners of bars/restaurants the common fish to use instead of COD is Dory which when cooked correctly is quite delicious and a lot of the quality of a good F&C is in the batter, now tastes differ but generally batter should be crispy and with that in mind and of all the places I have tried Tropical Berts is still the best batter maker here in Pattaya and he gives a whole side of Dory when you have his F&C (180Baht Special on Friday, every other Day I think 230Baht) but beleive me a whale on a plate is a good description, I whole heartedly recommend it and also his cod which is a lot smaller though, only downside is the Frozen chips.

But I do beleive Chesters is still a good find especially for breakkie and the F&C sounds pretty much like TB's but maybe smaller. I think my next stop will be Rung's opposite Chesters to sample some of their offerings. So many places to try and so little time to try them :o

From what I see, from reading posts and speaking to owners of bars/restaurants the common fish to use instead of COD is Dory which when cooked correctly is quite delicious and a lot of the quality of a good F&C is in the batter, now tastes differ but generally batter should be crispy and with that in mind and of all the places I have tried Tropical Berts is still the best batter maker here in Pattaya and he gives a whole side of Dory when you have his F&C (180Baht Special on Friday, every other Day I think 230Baht) but beleive me a whale on a plate is a good description, I whole heartedly recommend it and also his cod which is a lot smaller though, only downside is the Frozen chips.

But I do beleive Chesters is still a good find especially for breakkie and the F&C sounds pretty much like TB's but maybe smaller. I think my next stop will be Rung's opposite Chesters to sample some of their offerings. So many places to try and so little time to try them :o

But, Paul, Tropical Bert's is "on the other side"! :D:D

I'm also anxious to try Rung's, since they are said to make a good burger. If it's large and tasty, ala at Bob's and Great American Rib, they'll have me hooked for that particular item, as Chester's has for the F&C's, and Dao Cafe for that chicken w/ mushroom sauce.

I'm also anxious to try Rung's, since they are said to make a good burger. If it's large and tasty, ala at Bob's and Great American Rib, they'll have me hooked for that particular item...

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a decent burger anywhere in Thailand. I have basically given-up on finding one. The basic problem, and it can't get any more basic than this, is the BEEF. In order to make a hamburger at an affordable price, Thai sourced meat must be used, and as everyone knows, this is usually not of the best quality.

As I have given-up on finding a "good" burger in Thailand, when I need a fix I just lump it and head to the nearest Burger King. In Pattaya, that would be the one at Royal Garden Center. Get a Whopper (with cheese and bacon of course) and you get a big decent burger and the price is right.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a decent burger anywhere in Thailand. I have basically given-up on finding one.

I'm not a burger expert and very rarely eat them, but have you tried the burgers at Hard Rock Cafe on Beach Road? They're quite expensive, but I thought they weren't too bad at all.

But as I said, I'm not a burger gourmet, so I may be talking out of my beef burger :o

Back to Darkside meals....

The Manneke Pis had their second anniversary bash last night. Nice spicy sausages, and most unusually, (from my experience anyway), they cooked a whole sheep, as opposed to the roast pig that you would normally get at such do's. Nice piece of meat, too.

Shame about the plastic knives and forks tho', spoils it for me.

I'm also anxious to try Rung's, since they are said to make a good burger. If it's large and tasty, ala at Bob's and Great American Rib, they'll have me hooked for that particular item...

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a decent burger anywhere in Thailand. I have basically given-up on finding one. The basic problem, and it can't get any more basic than this, is the BEEF. In order to make a hamburger at an affordable price, Thai sourced meat must be used, and as everyone knows, this is usually not of the best quality.

As I have given-up on finding a "good" burger in Thailand, when I need a fix I just lump it and head to the nearest Burger King. In Pattaya, that would be the one at Royal Garden Center. Get a Whopper (with cheese and bacon of course) and you get a big decent burger and the price is right.

I couldn't agree with you more, Johnnie. The only decent ones I have found are at BK in the Royal Garden Plaza. No place else is even close.

I couldn't agree with you more, Johnnie. The only decent ones I have found are at BK in the Royal Garden Plaza. No place else is even close.

So you guys don't agree with me about the burgers at Great American Rib? Or have you not tried them there? It's good beef, and lots of it. And they do it right. Good bun, fresh tomatoes, onions, and lettuce on the side, for you to add as you wish. I think they're the best I've had, to date.

As for BK, they were 3rd on my fast food burger list in So Cal. I put Carl's Jr far ahead of everybody else; with Wendy's a shade ahead of BK for second. I don't know how long ago you guys were in the USA, so I'm not sure if you ever had a "Six Dollar Burger" at Carl's Jr. They just introduced that beauty about 4 or 5 years ago. It's truly as close to a hand made, fresh ground beef burger as I've ever seen at any fast food place; and better than some of those! Absolutely delicious. Of course they've now expanded it to all kinds of crazy combinations - or "mutations", as I prefer to call them. Just give me bun, burger, cheese, tomato, onion, lettuce, and mustard. THAT is a cheeseburger! :o

As for the beef quality, John, the owner at Sure Park told me that he gets his beef from the agricultural university (I forget the name) north of BKK. They have a cross breed of American and European cattle, I believe. His beef quality there is just fine, IMO. If that were ground up, and served in a burger, I doubt very much that anybody would know the difference. I may have to discuss that with him one day.

So you guys don't agree with me about the burgers at Great American Rib? Or have you not tried them there? It's good beef, and lots of it. And they do it right. Good bun, fresh tomatoes, onions, and lettuce on the side, for you to add as you wish. I think they're the best I've had, to date.

As for BK, they were 3rd on my fast food burger list in So Cal. I put Carl's Jr far ahead of everybody else; with Wendy's a shade ahead of BK for second. I don't know how long ago you guys were in the USA, so I'm not sure if you ever had a "Six Dollar Burger" at Carl's Jr. They just introduced that beauty about 4 or 5 years ago. It's truly as close to a hand made, fresh ground beef burger as I've ever seen at any fast food place; and better than some of those! Absolutely delicious. Of course they've now expanded it to all kinds of crazy combinations - or "mutations", as I prefer to call them. Just give me bun, burger, cheese, tomato, onion, lettuce, and mustard. THAT is a cheeseburger! :o

As for the beef quality, John, the owner at Sure Park told me that he gets his beef from the agricultural university (I forget the name) north of BKK. They have a cross breed of American and European cattle, I believe. His beef quality there is just fine, IMO. If that were ground up, and served in a burger, I doubt very much that anybody would know the difference. I may have to discuss that with him one day.

I've tried the burger at Great American Ribs and did not particularly like it. Don't specifically recall why but it just wasn't worth what it cost, as I recall.

I haven't tried Sure Park yet but will do so when I can get out of the sand box and come back to LOS.

I have also not tried Carl's Jr and Wendys is a distant memory. I haven't been back to the states since 1991. I spent three weeks there right after the First Gulf War. Before that it was 1988. Due to this I know little about prices and good foods there. I just know what I like, and the burger at Great American wasn't something I enjoyed.

I've tried the burger at Great American Ribs and did not particularly like it. Don't specifically recall why but it just wasn't worth what it cost, as I recall.

I haven't tried Sure Park yet but will do so when I can get out of the sand box and come back to LOS.

I have also not tried Carl's Jr and Wendys is a distant memory. I haven't been back to the states since 1991. I spent three weeks there right after the First Gulf War. Before that it was 1988. Due to this I know little about prices and good foods there. I just know what I like, and the burger at Great American wasn't something I enjoyed.

Well, hel_l, Chuck, you've spent so little time there in the last 20 years that you may have lost your "American taste buds"! :o

One pretty tasty thing I recall from my days in California, where in-n-out burger joints.

I think they only had outlets in California, Arizona and Nevada...

Still junk food, but way better then MacD's

I lived in CA for 3 years before I moved here 3 years ago and I wholeheartedly agree about Carls JR, definately the best burger by the proverbial mile and George your definition of a Burger is spot on apart that I would add some ketchup. I think where a lot of Thais get it wrong is that to then a piece of meat is just that a piece of meat there is no distinction between sirloin or fillet etc, and for a good burger you need to use ground beef that has a high percentage of fat to stop the meat from drying out during the cooking process, I forget the exact figures but from memory I seem to remember it should be about 80 lean meat to 20% fat.

Anyway back on topic, tried the breakfast at Rung's this morning, to compare apples with apples I ordered the equivalent to what I had at Chesters Yesterday which was the big breakfast.

Rungs was 145 Baht compared to Chesters 150, I'm not a coffee drinker so both mine came with tea, with both supplying PG Tips which is a good quality Tea from England not your usual Lipton rubbish so that came out equal.

Rung's offered 2 eggs, 2 Bacon, 1 Sausage, Sliced Tomato, Hash Brown, shrooms, Baked Beans 2 toast

Chesters 1 egg, 2 Bacon, 1 Sausage, Sliced Tomato, shrooms, Baked Beans 2 Toast

So slightly more from Rungs, though Chesters Bacon was bigger.

now to quality this is where IMO Rungs get it wrong, Chesters Sausage was way tastier and tasted like a real English Pork Sausage where Chesters tasted like a nasty chicken sourced Thai Product and had an unpleasant texture in the mouth, also Chesters Bacon was much tastier and better quality. The Hash browns was the frozen pattie type of hash brown which I really didn't like and didn't eat after trying a few mouthful's as for everything else pretty much same same. So to sum up for me I prefer Quality to Quantity so I think for the extra 5 Baht and the seemingly higher quality meats used at Chesters that Is where I will be spending my breakkie money and for people who really need 2 eggs in the morning I would still recommend Chesters and that you just ask for the extra side of egg or as Americans don't like shrooms and Baked Beans etc maybe Chester would cut you a deal where you get an extra egg instead off beans, shrooms etc.

Maybe Rungs will win the great Burger hunt :o

One pretty tasty thing I recall from my days in California, where in-n-out burger joints.

I think they only had outlets in California, Arizona and Nevada...

Still junk food, but way better then MacD's

I am SO ashamed! :D How could I forget IN-N-OUT?! That is a solid 2nd place :o , still behind Carl's Jr's "Six Dollar Burger", but not by nearly as much as my previously designated #2, Wendy's. I can't believe I forget them when doing my rankings. The only excuse I can offer is that IN-N-OUT franchises were hard to find. There weren't nearly as many of them as there were of the other 3 I mentioned.

By the way, I must add that I never found any fast food burger place that served good FF's. They all did the "shoestring" thing, and most of them were under cooked. :D

By the way, I've never met an American adult who would even include McD's in a rating of burgers. Truly "kids' stuff", boht there, and here. :D:D But I wouldn't agree that a really good burger is "junk food", Monty. Think about it. The best of them are made of high quality ground beef; with fresh tomato, onion, lettuce; all placed on a fresh bun. What's junk about that? High protein, good veggies, and bread. If the beef were served in its' original form, as a sirloin or round steak, with those veggies on the side, and the bread in a basket, it would be called a steak dinner. Nobody's ever called that junk food. Now the FF's that are usually served with it do deserve that label. But the burger itself does not.

I lived in CA for 3 years before I moved here 3 years ago and I wholeheartedly agree about Carls JR, definately the best burger by the proverbial mile and George your definition of a Burger is spot on apart that I would add some ketchup. I think where a lot of Thais get it wrong is that to then a piece of meat is just that a piece of meat there is no distinction between sirloin or fillet etc, and for a good burger you need to use ground beef that has a high percentage of fat to stop the meat from drying out during the cooking process, I forget the exact figures but from memory I seem to remember it should be about 80 lean meat to 20% fat.

Anyway back on topic, tried the breakfast at Rung's this morning, to compare apples with apples I ordered the equivalent to what I had at Chesters Yesterday which was the big breakfast.

Rungs was 145 Baht compared to Chesters 150, I'm not a coffee drinker so both mine came with tea, with both supplying PG Tips which is a good quality Tea from England not your usual Lipton rubbish so that came out equal.

Rung's offered 2 eggs, 2 Bacon, 1 Sausage, Sliced Tomato, Hash Brown, shrooms, Baked Beans 2 toast

Chesters 1 egg, 2 Bacon, 1 Sausage, Sliced Tomato, shrooms, Baked Beans 2 Toast

So slightly more from Rungs, though Chesters Bacon was bigger.

now to quality this is where IMO Rungs get it wrong, Chesters Sausage was way tastier and tasted like a real English Pork Sausage where Chesters tasted like a nasty chicken sourced Thai Product and had an unpleasant texture in the mouth, also Chesters Bacon was much tastier and better quality. The Hash browns was the frozen pattie type of hash brown which I really didn't like and didn't eat after trying a few mouthful's as for everything else pretty much same same. So to sum up for me I prefer Quality to Quantity so I think for the extra 5 Baht and the seemingly higher quality meats used at Chesters that Is where I will be spending my breakkie money and for people who really need 2 eggs in the morning I would still recommend Chesters and that you just ask for the extra side of egg or as Americans don't like shrooms and Baked Beans etc maybe Chester would cut you a deal where you get an extra egg instead off beans, shrooms etc.

Maybe Rungs will win the great Burger hunt :o

And you are "spot on" with regard to the quality of beef issue, Paul, as I just pointed out in my protest to Monty about the "junk food" label. The crap that McDonalds puts in their burgers can be heard to "whinny", if you listen closely!

There are privately owned restaurants in the USA, particularly in "farm country", where they actually grind the meat, from prime sirloin or round steak, right on the premises, fresh every day. You can't believe how good those are!

And let me make a minor correction for you on the American palate. I think I join many Americans in enjoying both shrooms and baked beans. Where go off from the English breakfast is that we prefer beans with lunch or dinner meals. Mushrooms, however, are a popular ingredient for omelettes, which are an extremely popular breakfast item in the USA. A 3-egg "Western" or "Denver" omelette is a great morning meal. I gave a recipe to Pook, at Chonlada, and she promised to learn how to make one soon. I'll really be locked in for breakfast there if she does that!

So I'd take those shrooms with my breakfast; but pass on the beans. I think that would be a common decision among Americans.

George...I have not tried the burger at GAR yet. I was there with some friends awhile back and sombody did order the burger and it looked good and he said it tasted good as well. I shall try to remember to try one next time I am there.

As for BK, they were 3rd on my fast food burger list in So Cal. I put Carl's Jr far ahead of everybody else; with Wendy's a shade ahead of BK for second. I don't know how long ago you guys were in the USA, so I'm not sure if you ever had a "Six Dollar Burger" at Carl's Jr.

Yes those are all great. For my list, however, I would probably put Wendy's as my number 1 (gotta love those square meat patties), followed by Jack-in-the-Box, and then Carl's Jr. However, I have not had Stateside fast food for a number of years so am assuming things are as they were when I was there. Unfortunately, in LOS we have only BK and Micky Ds. And whatever McDs serves in Thailand, it is certainly not a hamburger.

Good idea...you and others have said the steaks are good...just grind up a cut (that has enough marbling) and you should be able to make a decent hamburger.

One place in Pattaya that I now recall having a good burger is Beefeaters Pub (soi Diana and 2nd road - in the restaurant arcade). A little expensive at around B 250 or so if memory serves but good taste, fresh bun, and cheese and bacon trimmings. They serve it with some weird shrimp mayo, however. I always send that back and get plain!

Edited by jonniebkk

Nice report on the breakfasts, Paul. I agree that quality is always better. Thanks to your report, when in the mood for breakfast, I will go to Chesters. Also, if both these places are serving PG Tips tea, they are serious about their English breakfasts...that tea is the real deal!

Maybe we organize a breakfast club here :o

Edited by jonniebkk

Maybe we organize a breakfast club here :o

I think that would be a great idea, John. Meet at a different restaurant, on a rotation, once a week. Personally, I'd favor a relatively late breakfast, say about 10 AM.

Other than John and me, who's interested?

However, I have not had Stateside fast food for a number of years so am assuming things are as they were when I was there.

Things have definitely changed since several years ago, John. My favorite, as I mentioned, the "Six Dollar Burger" at Carl's Jr was created only about 4 years ago. Have a look here: http://www.carlsjr.com/menu

That photo is not an advertising gimmick. It is totally accurate!