The Dark Side

paul1970

I for one will be eating on the "dark side" when I arrive in June .... can't wait to try out all the places that have ben recommended in this thread. I stay in Jomtien normally and rarely venture the other side of Sukhunvit, but after this informative reading that will all be changing. By the way, for Fish & Chips I've found Simons Fish Bar in Jomtien prety hard to beat, certainly better than a lot in the UK.

Edited by R2Quad

Simons Fish Bar in Jomtien prety hard to beat, certainly better than a lot in the UK.

Don't they advertise their chef being from "Grimsby," England or thereabouts...wherever that is...I'm American :D However, for us Darksiders, Jomtien might as well be on the other side of the moon :o

Don't they advertise their chef being from "Grimsby," England or thereabouts...wherever that is...I'm American :D However, for us Darksiders, Jomtien might as well be on the other side of the moon :o

Really, John? I don't mind a drive to Jomtien at all. I use the "back road" route to Sukhumvit; Soi 24 off of Nernplubwarn, to Soi Khao Noi. Much less traffic, until the last few hundred yards of Khao Noi. Then the easy drive along Suk to Theprasit Road, which is normally very easy to drive, all the way to the end. We also go further out, to my favorite seafood restaurant, Ton Hat, which I've mentioned here before.

By the way, what's the exact location of Simon's? I've never tried it, but may one afternoon for a F&C lunch. I think it's a right turn onto Theppraya, isn't it? But is it in one of those "storefront malls" after that turn? Which one?

Really, John? I don't mind a drive to Jomtien at all.

George...said more in jest. By habit or choice, I usually find myself doing something or other on the Light Side almost daily, and I use your route too if going directly to Jomtien. However, don't know how viable it will be when the start building the new Carrefore and the Sukkie end of Kao Talow.

I think Simons in in the Jomtien Complex...that huge condo/resto area on the right as you make the bend around the Hunuman (Monkey) statue and continue down towards Jomtien beach.

Really, John? I don't mind a drive to Jomtien at all.

George...said more in jest. By habit or choice, I usually find myself doing something or other on the Light Side almost daily, and I use your route too if going directly to Jomtien. However, don't know how viable it will be when the start building the new Carrefore and the Sukkie end of Kao Talow.

I think Simons in in the Jomtien Complex...that huge condo/resto area on the right as you make the bend around the Hunuman (Monkey) statue and continue down towards Jomtien beach.

I don't think the Carrefour on Kao Talo should increase traffic on the Soi 24/Khao Noi route very much. I don't hit Kao Talo at all on the route I take.

I'm still lost on where Simon's is, since I don't know where the "Monkey" statue is. Do you mean it would be LEFT at the end of Thepprasit, then follow the bend to the right, toward the beach, as when driving to the Immigration office on Soi 5?

where Simon's is, since I don't know where the "Monkey" statue is. Do you mean it would be LEFT at the end of Thepprasit, then follow the bend to the right, toward the beach, as when driving to the Immigration office on Soi 5?

Yes. At the T-junction at the end ot Thepprasit, make a left and then it makes a right, which continues to Jomtien Beach Road. The monkey statue is where the road turns right (on your left) :o The Jomtien Complex is that very large once almost abandoned shopping arcade on the right side that has really taken off as a restaurant row over the past couple years. There all several interior roads but I think Simon is located in one of the outside shops on the main road.

I am sure someone will post a more accurate direction.

Was checking out a couple other Pattaya boards and, like all restaurants, there were mixed reviews of Simons. One said the frozen imported cod was good and another said it was not...and that the prices were high. I pulled this price sheet from the Door2Door delivery site:

Small Icelandic Premium Cod in Batter with Chips B240

Large Icelandic Premium Cod in Batter with Chips B305

Small Norwegian Premium Cod in Batter with Chips B235

Large Norwegian Premium Cod in Batter with Chips B300

Large Local White Fillet in Batter with Chips B200

10 Large Deep-fried Prawns in Batter with Chips B280

Large Red Snapper in Batter & Chips B360

Shark Fillet in Batter & Chips B320

All Fish is Served with Tartar Sauce & a Lime Wedge.

Yes your right Jonnie, at the T-junction, end of Thepprasit, Turn left into Theppraya and then follow the road down and round the righthand corner, Simond Fish Bar is about 75 yards past the corner on the right. The Mushy Peas are great!

where Simon's is, since I don't know where the "Monkey" statue is. Do you mean it would be LEFT at the end of Thepprasit, then follow the bend to the right, toward the beach, as when driving to the Immigration office on Soi 5?

Yes. At the T-junction at the end ot Thepprasit, make a left and then it makes a right, which continues to Jomtien Beach Road. The monkey statue is where the road turns right (on your left) :o The Jomtien Complex is that very large once almost abandoned shopping arcade on the right side that has really taken off as a restaurant row over the past couple years. There all several interior roads but I think Simon is located in one of the outside shops on the main road.

I am sure someone will post a more accurate direction.

Was checking out a couple other Pattaya boards and, like all restaurants, there were mixed reviews of Simons. One said the frozen imported cod was good and another said it was not...and that the prices were high. I pulled this price sheet from the Door2Door delivery site:

Small Icelandic Premium Cod in Batter with Chips B240

Large Icelandic Premium Cod in Batter with Chips B305

Small Norwegian Premium Cod in Batter with Chips B235

Large Norwegian Premium Cod in Batter with Chips B300

Large Local White Fillet in Batter with Chips B200

10 Large Deep-fried Prawns in Batter with Chips B280

Large Red Snapper in Batter & Chips B360

Shark Fillet in Batter & Chips B320

All Fish is Served with Tartar Sauce & a Lime Wedge.

Well, those prices are definitely no bargain, especially considering the current exchange rate. I think I'll pass on paying $10 for F&C! Somebody mentioned earlier that one of our Dark Side places had good F&C at 180. I'll check back in the thread to find it.

Somebody mentioned earlier that one of our Dark Side places had good F&C at 180. I'll check back in the thread to find it.

It was Chester's, opposite the market on NPW. They said they were about 200 Bt, and, supposedly, imported cod.

Well, those prices are definitely no bargain, especially considering the current exchange rate. I think I'll pass on paying $10 for F&C! Somebody mentioned earlier that one of our Dark Side places had good F&C at 180. I'll check back in the thread to find it.

Yeah...sometimes things get scary on the Light Side. If it was really good, I would pay it for a treat sometime but reviews have been both positive and negative and for that kind of money, who want's to take the chance.

I posted about Chesters and my English neighbor said it was good and good value and he's pretty kee niow too :o

Further info on the Courtyard restaurant. As several have posted, this place has a nice atmosphere and decor but the food has been disappointing (especially the Western dishes). I was was told by a neighbor who has been recently that they are supposed to be getting in a Farang chef sometime in the next week or so. At present, the Thai wife of the owner does most of the cooking. Hopefully, this will improve things :o

Thanks for that info, John. As I've said, I very much hope that this place can improve and succeed, due to the facts that it is so nearby for me (less than 1 km); and that it is so physically comfortable and attractive (for our area). However, they also need significant improvement in the service and "hospitality" that I've experienced in my first two visits.

I'll check in there again next week, and let report on my experience.

I went past the courtyard at 8.15 p.m. tonight and all was shut tight and in darkness.

Anyone know what that was all about?

I went past the courtyard at 8.15 p.m. tonight and all was shut tight and in darkness.

Anyone know what that was all about?

I noticed this already a couple of days ago..thought it was their day off or something...now dark again...any reports?

Sounds to me like another half cocked idea of a new business falling over in the first week or two. Why is anyone surprised by this?

Sad but true as seems to be the case with so many places. What ever happened to that Inn on the Lake place as well - that seems to have gone the same way - always quite liked the idea of trying that place.

Sounds to me like another half cocked idea of a new business falling over in the first week or two. Why is anyone surprised by this?

While this is a possibility, I think it more likely (if they really are closed down) that it's more likely they are waiting for their new chef de cusine to arrive. I am sure they will sort things out as some serious money was spent on building this place. It is not just some guy renting a shophouse and starting a restaurant...he built the place from scratch.

Also, apparently, they guy owns over 3 rai of land there and has his house and a large garden there too. Hopefully they will get things sorted and be up and running again soon.

In the meantime, my dinner last nite at Rung Tip for two was the beef gulosh (very tasty) and friend had the cordon bleu, and also 2 large scoops of ice cream with toppings, water and it came to only B 380! Only problem was the competing karaokes from both sides of the road...actually, Oasis 3 had a live band (is that everynite?)

While this is a possibility, I think it more likely (if they really are closed down) that it's more likely they are waiting for their new chef de cusine to arrive. I am sure they will sort things out as some serious money was spent on building this place. It is not just some guy renting a shophouse and starting a restaurant...he built the place from scratch.

Also, apparently, they guy owns over 3 rai of land there and has his house and a large garden there too. Hopefully they will get things sorted and be up and running again soon.

In the meantime, my dinner last nite at Rung Tip for two was the beef gulosh (very tasty) and friend had the cordon bleu, and also 2 large scoops of ice cream with toppings, water and it came to only B 380! Only problem was the competing karaokes from both sides of the road...actually, Oasis 3 had a live band (is that everynite?)

We last ate at Rung Thip on Saturday, and the Hungarian Goulash was my choice then. I don't care for Swiss dumplings, however - like eating styrofoam packing to me - so I have them substitute <deleted> for them. You have to come hungry for that meal. It's really filling. And, at 160 Bt, a hel_l of a bargain.

As for the Courtyard, I had the same thought that you mentioned, since we had heard about them getting a new chef for western food. Nobody mentioned any sign on the door, though; which seems to be another example of poor management by them. If they're going to re-open in a few days, with a new chef, they should be advertising that! It almost seems like the guy has so much money that he doesn't give a dam_n, and is just letting his wife play with the restaurant like a new toy. If this was the USA, I'd think he was using it as a tax write off! :o:D

I don't care for Swiss dumplings, however - like eating styrofoam packing to me - so I have them substitute <deleted> for them. You have to come hungry for that meal.

One meal came with fries and the other with baked potato. Fries are fine but the potato not so good. It is baked fine but they don't put any butter in it...have to ask. Does come with bacon bits and nice dollop or sour cream though. Veggies and garlic bread too...any way you slice it, these are great meals for the price.

If this was the USA, I'd think he was using it as a tax write off! :o:D

Money laundering?

Edited by jonniebkk

As for the Courtyard, I had the same thought that you mentioned, since we had heard about them getting a new chef for western food. Nobody mentioned any sign on the door, though; which seems to be another example of poor management by them. If they're going to re-open in a few days, with a new chef, they should be advertising that! It almost seems like the guy has so much money that he doesn't give a dam_n, and is just letting his wife play with the restaurant like a new toy. If this was the USA, I'd think he was using it as a tax write off! :D:D

Maybe the wife has been asserting her legal rights over the ownership, thus creating a spot of drama :o

As for the Courtyard, I had the same thought that you mentioned, since we had heard about them getting a new chef for western food. Nobody mentioned any sign on the door, though; which seems to be another example of poor management by them. If they're going to re-open in a few days, with a new chef, they should be advertising that! It almost seems like the guy has so much money that he doesn't give a dam_n, and is just letting his wife play with the restaurant like a new toy. If this was the USA, I'd think he was using it as a tax write off! :D:D

Maybe the wife has been asserting her legal rights over the ownership, thus creating a spot of drama :o

I just drove by (1:30 PM), and it appeared to be open. There was an SUV and a motorbike parked in front. I didn't stop.

I have been to Chonlada on soi Siam CC for lunch twice this week and while I do enjoy the place, there's a crying baby there full time. Probably a relative of the owner. It's a real noise maker and I've had to leave sooner than expected after a stressful meal.

I have been to Chonlada on soi Siam CC for lunch twice this week and while I do enjoy the place, there's a crying baby there full time. Probably a relative of the owner. It's a real noise maker and I've had to leave sooner than expected after a stressful meal.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with the timing. The baby is the 7 month old daughter of the owners, Pook and Hugh. She hasn't cried much when I've been there; but, as with all babies that age, it's the luck of the draw on that one. Don't give up it. They're nice folks, and the restaurant is nice enough to become a regular. The baby will get past that stage soon. :o

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with the timing. The baby is the 7 month old daughter of the owners, Pook and Hugh. She hasn't cried much when I've been there; but, as with all babies that age, it's the luck of the draw on that one. Don't give up it. They're nice folks, and the restaurant is nice enough to become a regular. The baby will get past that stage soon. :o

the baby's name is actually Chonlada and sooooooooooooo cute (according to Mrs. raro)

I got around to trying the Dao Cafe yesterday. I was out for some bank business, and decided to go there for lunch, since I was still having trouble to convince my wife to try it. (We had driven by at night a while back, and she "didn't like the looks of it" from outside.)

I was impressed by the nice variety on the menu. But, after the raves here about the chicken with mushroom sauce, I wanted to try that. I was not sorry that I did so. The double breasted chicken, and the mushroom sauce, were excellent. I was not happy with the <deleted>, which are shoestring, and, at least yesterday, were under cooked. But the small salad, the dressing that came with it, and the 4 slices of good, fresh bread, still made it a good meal.

As I was leaving, I met the owner, Derrick. Very pleasant guy. I gave him my opinion of the meal, and he immediately said that they'd adjust the cooking of the <deleted> if I requested it on my next visit. We then discussed the menu, including an item on the small specials board, escargot! Now that's not easy to find in Pattaya. I'll have to try it next time. I also told him of my wife's concern about oil, and he said he had no idea what they used. So we went back to the area in front of the kitchen, and I was handed a bottle of palm oil. As I was explaining to Derrick that my wife won't eat food prepared in palm oil, one of the girls came up and said that they always use palm oil for Thai food, but use a different oil for farang food. She went into the kitchen, and came back with a large can of soybean oil. BINGO! All we have to do is tell them to cook her order, whatever it is, in the soybean oil.

Derrick also told me that they often prepare a large sea bass, Thai style, with a request the day before. It's not a menu item, so, when requested, they pick up the fish at Naklua market the next morning, and keep it fresh until the customers arrive. He assured me that they will do just about anything for which ingredients are available here with the same 24 hour notice.

I assured my wife that the interior area of the place is very clean and comfortable. So we'll likely try it for dinner sometime soon.

Keep the reports coming, guys. IMO, reports on places we've already discussed here are very welcome. Perhaps you tried something on the menu that hasn't been talked about. Perhaps you had a particularly good (or bad) service experience that would be of interest to some of us. There is almost always something of interest and value in a report with different content.

Personally, I enjoy all of the reports and opinions presented here. As I've said before, food is all about opinion, so there's no right or wrong on this subject. I currently have at least 3 places on my list to try (Menneke Pis, Chester's, and Happy Holiday), and will definitely share my opinion on them following those visits.

Speak up, fellow Dark Siders! :o

I was impressed by the nice variety on the menu. But, after the raves here about the chicken with mushroom sauce. The double breasted chicken, and the mushroom sauce, were excellent. I was not happy with the <deleted>, which are shoestring. But the small salad, the dressing that came with it, and the 4 slices of good, fresh bread, still made it a good meal.

I have never had the <deleted>...but always order the fried potatos (maan phad) and they are very good.

In previous posts, I panned the pizzas. This was based on a small sample size and one was a take-out (never a good way to judge a restaurant's food). As others had praised the pizzas, I decided to try it again and have changed my opinion. I have had the margarita pizzas (cheese and ham) and they are quite good. It is a medium crust pizza - not too thick or thin. So I would recommend Dao as a Dark Side pizza place.

My only qualm with Dao is that it is all outdoor seating and especially now, in the hot season, it can be very warm and humid. Humidity is especially a problem at nite and by the end of my meal, I am usually a sweating mess :D :D The only way to escape the heat is to have your meal in the "Lady Bar" tucked away in the back of the place, which is air-conditioned. Of course, this option is only really available to single diners :o

I was impressed by the nice variety on the menu. But, after the raves here about the chicken with mushroom sauce. The double breasted chicken, and the mushroom sauce, were excellent. I was not happy with the <deleted>, which are shoestring. But the small salad, the dressing that came with it, and the 4 slices of good, fresh bread, still made it a good meal.

I have never had the <deleted>...but always order the fried potatos (maan phad) and they are very good.

In previous posts, I panned the pizzas. This was based on a small sample size and one was a take-out (never a good way to judge a restaurant's food). As others had praised the pizzas, I decided to try it again and have changed my opinion. I have had the margarita pizzas (cheese and ham) and they are quite good. It is a medium crust pizza - not too thick or thin. So I would recommend Dao as a Dark Side pizza place.

My only qualm with Dao is that it is all outdoor seating and especially now, in the hot season, it can be very warm and humid. Humidity is especially a problem at nite and by the end of my meal, I am usually a sweating mess :D:D The only way to escape the heat is to have your meal in the "Lady Bar" tucked away in the back of the place, which is air-conditioned. Of course, this option is only really available to single diners :o

I'm very happy to see your upgrade on the pizza, especially the note that it's a medium crust, which strongly prefer over either thin or pan style. I'll definitely try one now. They have a nice selection listed.

I also agree, though I neglected to mention it, that the heat and humidity are a problem there. Enclosed as it is, there is little, if any, breeze to cool it a bit. Funny that you mentioned it, because, as I was driving home, I thought about that, and regretted not asking Derrick if he'd ever considered enclosing it, and adding A/C. It would improve the overall experience considerably for those of us who can't take advantage of that "alternative location" option! :D

I also agree, though I neglected to mention it, that the heat and humidity are a problem there. Enclosed as it is, there is little, if any, breeze to cool it a bit.

I guess the answer is to take your swim trunks with you and take a refreshing dip after your meal :D

Funny that you mentioned it, because, as I was driving home, I thought about that, and regretted not asking Derrick if he'd ever considered enclosing it, and adding A/C. It would improve the overall experience considerably for those of us who can't take advantage of that "alternative location" option!

Your misses shouldn't really mind the lady bar aspect of this place...it is really well hidden and way way in the back. In fact, the first time I went to check it out, I almost went into one of the guest rooms in a corner area near the pool...one of the waitresses had to direct me to another door down a narrow passageway and around a couple corners :o It has its own "front" door and the working gals are not allowed to hang in the pool/resto area. They just come out once and awhile to pick-up a food order.

On the Nernplubwan Soi 47, this is the soi on the left side coming from the Sukhumvit just before the Crossroad Bar, 150 m on the right side there is a new small restaurant called Crossroad Restaurant, breakfast, lunch and dine, small card with : fish & chips, hamburgers, spagetthi...prices between 100 an 150 Thb and some thai food on demand, as it was in the afternoon I only drank a beer, rather expensive 60 Thb for a small Leo, the owner, an american, seems to be the partner of the owner of the Crossroad Bar.

Just before this restaurant there is a new building, with swimming pool, in construction, according to the local rumours, the owner is the previous owner of the Dao Cafe and is intend to open a duplicate of his previous business.

Edited by luckyluke

On the Nernplubwan Soi 47, this is the soi on the left side coming from the Sukhumvit just before the Crossroad Bar, 150 m on the right side there is a new small restaurant called Crossroad Restaurant, breakfast, lunch and dine, small card with : fish & chips, hamburgers, spagetthi...prices between 100 an 150 Thb and some thai food on demand, as it was in the afternoon I only drank a beer, rather expensive 60 Thb for a small Leo, the owner, an american, seems to be the partner of the owner of the Crossroad Bar.

Just before this restaurant there is a new building, with swimming pool, in construction, according to the local rumours, the owner is the previous owner of the Dao Cafe and is intend to open a duplicate of his previous business.

I'll have to stop in there. The owner of the Crossroads Bar, Peter, is English. I'd enjoy meeting an American restaurant owner. I may be able to get some real "back home" food there, in that case. Could this possibly mean a good burger on the Dark Side? I'll check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the news, Luke!

I'll have to stop in there. The owner of the Crossroads Bar, Peter, is English. I'd enjoy meeting an American restaurant owner. I may be able to get some real "back home" food there, in that case. Could this possibly mean a good burger on the Dark Side? I'll check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the news, Luke!

Tried to locate this place today but couldn't find it, I now where crossroads beer bar is, I guess it must be down soi 47 some way as I was trying to find it from NPW, sure would be good if we find a real burger experience on the darkside as IMHO there isn't a real burger experience available anywhere in Pattaya though I must admit I haven't tried places like Bob's BBQ on the other side and McD's and BK is not what I would call a real burger either. Also wondered if anyone has tried Chester's yet ?

Oh though not a restaurant or even a cafe, IMO the best spit roast chicken is from the market just after the railway bridge on NPW, on the left as you are passing the market, almost at the very end of the market you will see an old guy with a spit roast that looks like it's made from half a 45 Gallon drum which will have usually a load of chickens on the go and very often for lunch I just buy a whole chicken from him for 120 baht, much better taste than all the chicken hut type spits I have tried, very tasty.

Oh though not a restaurant or even a cafe, IMO the best spit roast chicken is from the market just after the railway bridge on NPW, on the left as you are passing the market, almost at the very end of the market you will see an old guy with a spit roast that looks like it's made from half a 45 Gallon drum which will have usually a load of chickens on the go and very often for lunch I just buy a whole chicken from him for 120 baht, much better taste than all the chicken hut type spits I have tried, very tasty.

Forgot to add that if you don't want to have the head and the feet on the chicken you will have to motion to him to cut them off unless you know what to say in thai, which unfortunately I don't, he will also ask if you want it cut into pieces or left whole.