The Dark Side

paul1970

But I tried the new Chonlada coffee house that has so many varieties of breakfast on the menu that it is hard to choose from. I opted for the French version, which was nice and the coffee deserves an honourable mentioning!

Where is Chonlada located, raro? Did you happen to notice an "American breakfast" choice on the menu?

it is onthe right hand side coming from Sukhumvit, about 6 km up the road. Yes, they do have also American b/f - didn't ry it yet, so no idea about it's authenticacy (sp?). As I am not an American myself I also not qualify to judge this.

The coffee is great! 10 out of 10!

If you like good traditional Bavarian food you should try Ann's Garden in the Soi Khao Noi. It's at the begin of the Soi Khao Noi left beside the 7Eleven. Sure you get no crap there!

For those who are English: don't worry, there are not just Germans :o

recommended that place before, it is really good. And yes, apart from Germans there are also Bavarians frequenting the place :D

Dao.. where is it?? coming from mabrachan.

You'll have to fight your way up Nernplubwarn ("motorbike hel_l"!), Jared. :o

Drive up Soi Siam CC to the intersection at Nonprue Rd, which is just before you reach the driving range. Turn left there, and follow the road to Nernplubwarn, which has a 7-11 on the corner. Turn right, and weave your way through the motorbikes, food carts, and various other annoying vehicles, for about 4 kms.

Just past Soi 6 (left side), look for a small (about 18" x 18") yellow and blue sign about 5 meters up, that says "Dao Cafe". Turn left down that soi, and follow it to where you must turn right. Do so, then turn left. The place is on the right.

Dao.. where is it?? coming from mabrachan.

You'll have to fight your way up Nernplubwarn ("motorbike hel_l"!), Jared. :D

Drive up Soi Siam CC to the intersection at Nonprue Rd, which is just before you reach the driving range. Turn left there, and follow the road to Nernplubwarn, which has a 7-11 on the corner. Turn right, and weave your way through the motorbikes, food carts, and various other annoying vehicles, for about 4 kms.

Just past Soi 6 (left side), look for a small (about 18" x 18") yellow and blue sign about 5 meters up, that says "Dao Cafe". Turn left down that soi, and follow it to where you must turn right. Do so, then turn left. The place is on the right.

:o Yeah i know this is a moterbike hel_l!!

Thanks for the info!!

I can remember that i saw that sign one day because the name sounded so familiar.

But yesterday i drove up an d down nernplubwarn 2 times and just couldn't find it.

Can't be to hard now :D

But yesterday i drove up an d down nernplubwarn 2 times and just couldn't find it.

Can't be to hard now :o

Come on guys...Nernplubwan is no better or worse than most streets in town in regards to traffic...just forge ahead like everyone else :D

If coming from Sukhumvit, the turn-off is about 1 km up the road on the right - just before the Esso gas station. There is a smallish sigh...turn right and just follow this main alley down a few hundred meters (go around a big gapping hole in the ground keeping on the left) and there it is.

By the way, there is also a small Swiss restaurant almost directly across from Dao. Has anyone tried it?

Can't believe people knocking the Dao pizzas, best in town either side of Suk road in my opinion, they are thin crust though which is how i like them.

Also the Dao has one of my favourite dishes anywhere on the darkside, try their chicken breast in mushroom sauce (190 baht) but pay an extra 20 baht to get rid of the french fries in return for saute potatoes also comes with salad and bread.

Today i saw a spaghetaria/pizzaria behind the indoor foodmarket( the market with the big roof.) on nernplubwaan.

It's not far from Rung thip.

C'mon now, Jared. We're going to pull your "Dark Side Reporter" license if you don't do better than that! You need to tell us how far west of Rung Thip, on which side of the road, and what the inside of the place, and the menu look like. You were supposed to stop and check it out for us! :o:D

Today i saw a spaghetaria/pizzaria behind the indoor foodmarket( the market with the big roof.) on nernplubwaan.

I don't think that place is even there anymore...just the sign :o

Sorry to disagree about Dao's pizzas. No flame intended but if that is your idea of the best in pizza's, I don't think you have had very many good pizzas in your life. They are okay for an emergency pizza fix but they are certainly nothing to write home about.

No flame intended ...

Just a little side comment here. I am SOOOOO happy that we have not seen any of that crap in this thread.

We all have different tastes in food. We are from several different cultural backgrounds with regard to food, as well as other things. But I hope we can all continue to allow for those differences, and share our opinions and suggestions in the same spirit that everyone has displayed so far. No way we'll ever agree on which county's cuisine is best. That's fine. As long as we continue to respect each other's right to different opinions and tastes. There is NO "right" or "wrong" on food.

Thanks to all for keeping it sociable! :o

If ( big if ) you are a fan of blue cheese. The calzone at Dao is wonderful.

I have never really liked calzones very much...I like my pizza to be staring me in the face and not all wrapped-up in itself...all shy like. Another thing about them...most that I have had had too much tomato sauce in them; and being basically a hot puff pastry, they take forever to cool down enough to eat.

However, maybe I will give Dao's a try (but never heard of a blue cheese calzone...(I guess it's the French influence rearing its head) and also the chicken breast with mushroom sauce that has been recommended a couple times. Now is a good time too, as RT is closed for 3 days...drove by today and it looked like they were doing some spring cleaning or maybe some remodeling work (not vacation as the gates were open and some cars in there).

I don't think that place is even there anymore...just the sign :o

Sorry to disagree about Dao's pizzas. No flame intended but if that is your idea of the best in pizza's, I don't think you have had very many good pizzas in your life. They are okay for an emergency pizza fix but they are certainly nothing to write home about.

I've had lots of great pizzas in my life thank you, but as someone else mentioned how one person likes a pizza another person doesn't, for example what Americans call a good pizza, has no appeal to me what so ever, i like thin crust pizzas as in how they should be not some 3 inch thick piece of crap. But then again the average European waistline is a lot smaller than the average Americans hence the difference in what people classify as good.

I've had lots of great pizzas in my life thank you, but as someone else mentioned how one person likes a pizza another person doesn't, for example what Americans call a good pizza, has no appeal to me what so ever, i like thin crust pizzas as in how they should be not some 3 inch thick piece of crap. But then again the average European waistline is a lot smaller than the average Americans hence the difference in what people classify as good.

Easy now, V8, depends upon the American! I can't speak for the majority of us, but personally, I like a "medium" crust of about 1/4". I enjoy the flavor of a good crust, mixed with the flavor of the sauce and toppings. To me, a wafer thin crust is more like a cracker than a pizza. I'm sure you're aware that the crust thickness varies in Italy. The thin crust is more prevalent on the mainland, while the thick crust is the standard in Sicily. So, again, there's no "right" or "wrong", just preference.

IMO, a very thick crust (which my Thai wife prefers) doesn't allow for appreciation of the sauce and toppings. As I said above, a thin crust doesn't allow me to appreciate the taste of the crust dough. I prefer the middle ground that is popular in the Italian neighborhoods of the northeast (New York and Boston) of the USA.

It's not far from Rung thip.

C'mon now, Jared. We're going to pull your "Dark Side Reporter" license if you don't do better than that! You need to tell us how far west of Rung Thip, on which side of the road, and what the inside of the place, and the menu look like. You were supposed to stop and check it out for us! :D:D

I am truly very, very sorry. Today i was to busy checking out Dao's cafe.

Actually i liked the pizza (calzone). Good value for your money.

Tomorrow i will come with an update on the pizzeria i saw.

It's still there because i saw it today and it was open.

But was in a bit of a hurry.. Because the maid was cooking and ran out off gas.

Don't like this thread at all by the way.. I gained 3 kilo's in the last 3 weeks :o

I've had lots of great pizzas in my life thank you, but as someone else mentioned how one person likes a pizza another person doesn't, for example what Americans call a good pizza, has no appeal to me what so ever, i like thin crust pizzas as in how they should be not some 3 inch thick piece of crap.

But then again the average European waistline is a lot smaller than the average Americans hence the difference in what people classify as good.

I am glad to hear that as pizzas gotta be one of the best creations that's every sprung from the mind of man :D

I like the thinner more European type pizzas as well as the thicker "Chicago" style too. Some can be too thin, however, that's the problem with Tieno's pies. They are so thin is more like a wafer or pizza on cracker bread :o The main determinant in pizza taste is that quality of ingredients...decent dough, cheese, meat, and an oven and you can't go too wrong.

As to the relative size of Americans and Euros...probably more like a tie...I've seen many pretty big Euros around Pattaya :D

That pizzeria behind Foodland is the biggest joke!!

300 Baht for a pizza i didn't even want to take home for the dog.

Valentinos is the name of that place. The place changed hands about a year or so ago...before then, it was pretty good and it was MUCH cheaper. The lunch specials were a real steal then...all salads were like B 69 and pizzas and pasta dishes were B99 if I recall correctly.

Now, however, it is pretty bad like you say...and very pricey too :o

Edited by jonniebkk

Easy now, V8, depends upon the American! I can't speak for the majority of us, but personally, I like a "medium" crust of about 1/4". I enjoy the flavor of a good crust, mixed with the flavor of the sauce and toppings. To me, a wafer thin crust is more like a cracker than a pizza. I'm sure you're aware that the crust thickness varies in Italy. The thin crust is more prevalent on the mainland, while the thick crust is the standard in Sicily. So, again, there's no "right" or "wrong", just preference.

IMO, a very thick crust (which my Thai wife prefers) doesn't allow for appreciation of the sauce and toppings. As I said above, a thin crust doesn't allow me to appreciate the taste of the crust dough. I prefer the middle ground that is popular in the Italian neighborhoods of the northeast (New York and Boston) of the USA.

With all this discussion of Pizza I am curious about something. Do Thai kids like Pizza? I have never met a kid from North America that didn't like pizza.

CP

With all this discussion of Pizza I am curious about something. Do Thai kids like Pizza? I have never met a kid from North America that didn't like pizza.

CP

In my rather limited experience, they love it as much as American kids. All the kids in my wife's family like it. And I see lots of Thai kids in the chain pizza joints eating it. Look at all the pizza joints in town. Check out the customers. There are more Thai than falang people, and kids, in there.

I have some bad news, and I have some good news. I'm going with the bad news first, so that I can close with a smile. :D

On Tuesday night, my wife and I went to try the dinner menu at the newly opened 'The Courtyard' on Nongprue Rd. It's about .2 kms from the intersecton w/ SSCC, as you head toward Nernplubwarn. Tuesday was, in fact, their official opening day, although we had been there for lunch on the weekend. My wife had tom yum goong, and a shrimp with asparagus stir fry. She said that both were pretty good. (I had the left over shrimp & asparagus for lunch the next day, and agree that it was very tasty.)

I, OTOH, opted to try their western food. I ordered a Greek salad, and a club sandwich. Both were a disaster, especially the thing they call a club sandwich. It was served first. (They actually screwed up, and missed the order for the Greek salad, which they had to rush to bring to me just as I was finishing the sandwich thing.) Now, in the USA, a club sandwich is 3 slices of toasted bread, with mayo on each interior side. It is layered (which of the two levels gets which items is optional) with lettuce, chicken or turkey breast slice, bacon, cheese, tomato, onion, and, sometimes, also a slice of ham. The thing they served me had the 3 slices of toasted bread, with some mayo on them. Inside were a fried egg (NO!), a couple of split slices of bacon, a couple of small slices of tomato, and a "trace" of onion slice. This skimpy creation cost 120 Bt! That's about $4 these days. I would never again order that sandwich!

The Greek salad had all of the right veggies, except that there was NO lettuce. WRONG! The tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers were cut into chunks, rather than sliced. WRONG! There were green olives, and a couple (not enough) of black olives; and a few small (inch long by 1/4 inch wide) pieces of bell pepper. They did include some decent little squared of feta cheese. This was very lightly dressed with a tiny amount of what tasted like watered down olive oil. Again, it was terrible! Price was OK at 80 Bt, but who cares?!

Finally, I have to criticize the hosts. Both the lady who runs it, Kuhn Nongyao, and her English husband, ignored us when we entered. Kuhn Nongyao passed by our table after we'd ordered, and I stopped her to introduce her to my wife. After a polite smile, a wai, and a bland "Nice to meet you", she was gone. While I was eating my sandwich, she was passing by again, and I asked her if my Greek salad was coming. She went to check, and had to have it made then, as I noted earlier.

With the exception of one young Thai, "Ay" who, we learned later, is a nephew of Nongyao, the entire serving staff is very inexperienced, speaks almost no English, and is poorly trained with regard to presenting a pleasant personality, and paying consistent attention to needs of the customers.

Overall, I have to say that it was not even close to being a pleasant dining experience, despite the attractive (to me) and comfortable facility. They have a lot of work to do, and I hope they'll get, and respond to, some good advice soon. I like the place, and it's less a km from my home. So I'd love to be able to make it a regular stop for us. But there's no way I'll put up with many repeats of the experience we had Tuesday night.

Whew! Glad that's over! Now on to the good news!

This morning, I went to Chonlada Coffee House for breakfast. (SSCC Rd, about 1.5 kms east of the intersection with Nongprue Rd.) The building is very pleasant, with both indoor, A/C seating, and a few tables outside. (Outside tables are a bit too close to the fast moving, dust launching traffic for my liking.) The owner is a very sweet and attractive young lady named Pook. Her English is quite good, as she studied it in university. She worked in BKK for several years with an English born, American raised boss; but she is married to a Thai gentleman. I was amazed to learn from her that she has only been open for 3-1/2 months, and had no previous experience in running a restaurant. :D

I had the American breakfast, which consisted of two eggs, a generous portion of well cooked bacon (I like it fairly well done, to the chewy, and slightly crispy point), a sausage of much better quality than most here, a large slice of good quality ham, some sliced tomato and onion, 4 slices of good bread w/butter and marmalade, a glass of (poor) OJ, and a cup of very good coffee. I added hash browns, which I saw listed on the "Swiss breakfast". They were, as I had expected, a bit disappointing, since they were the "frozen patty" variety. Not inedible, but not the great, freshly made hash browns that I love. Overall, I was very satisfied with what I had, and there are many more options, including (not on the menu) poached eggs that Pook told me they can make (thanks to instruction from a nice customer, she said). :o

They also have free wi-fi, which, according to a guy who was using it when I arrived, operates at a decent speed. (Of course, he was the only user on at the time, so it may not always be that good, if there are several users simultaneously.

In any case, this place will become a bit of a habit for me. I don't eat breakfast every day. In fact, it's usually more of a brunch for me (arrived at about 10 this morning), since I'm just not ready to eat early in the morning. But I expect to be driving the 2.5 kms to enjoy their food, comfortable facility, and sweet and gracious host, at least once a week. For those of you who do enjoy an early breakfast, there's good news too. They open at 7:30! It is breakfast and lunch fare only, with some soups, several salads, and a dozen or so sandwiches and burgers, in addition to the many breakfast options. I'll have to try a cheeseburger some day. It would be a real bonanza for me if they do those well! (If not, based on the poached egg story, perhaps Pook will take some constructive suggestions! I'm no chef, but I DO know how to make a good American cheeseburger!)

There, now I feel better! :D

pats, good to see that we now agree (more or less) on two venues: Shure Park: Good but not great. The Courtyard: A total disaster (but it should be left to grow up a bit, so let us not cut them off totally yet. We will for sure go back there in a while, to see if they have matured).

How you can like the interior is to me a total mystery though, but I guess taste wrt interior decoration is in the eye of the beholder...

All the best, and bon appetit!

pats, good to see that we now agree (more or less) on two venues: Shure Park: Good but not great. The Courtyard: A total disaster (but it should be left to grow up a bit, so let us not cut them off totally yet. We will for sure go back there in a while, to see if they have matured).

How you can like the interior is to me a total mystery though, but I guess taste wrt interior decoration is in the eye of the beholder...

All the best, and bon appetit!

Well, MMC, I think my appreciation for the interior (and exterior in the back, btw), is more due to the "contrast" with most other venues in this entire area. Few places have quality, relatively expensive (wrt "taste") furnishings. The Courtyard is head and shoulders above virtually everything else here, in that regard. I agree that it's too early to write them off. But the failure of the owners to inquire about the quality of the food makes me skeptical about the likelihood for their pursuit of the significant changes needed to become a good restaurant. They have SO far to go, from training serving staff and food preparation (at least western food); to how to be gracious hosts. :o

As for Sure Park, remember that my initial rating, for the filet mignon meal I had, was above "Good". It was the breakfast that left me dissatisfied. I will add, however, that, thanks to this thread, I will try Meineken Pis for a steak, next time I get the steak urge (not too often for me). If it can challenge what I had at Sure Park for less than the 320 Bt charged by the latter, It may take over for that particular meal. I drove down (about .7 kms) from Chonlada after breakfast this morning, ust to check it out. It wasn't yet open, but I spoke a bit with a Thai lady (very limited English) who was there, and checked out the menu. I will check it out soon. ... Perhaps we'll go there and let my wife try the Thai food, while I sample something other than steak for my first meal.

Best to you, as well, MMC. Let's keep sharing the news and experiences, good and bad, about our Dark Side restaurants. :D

This morning, I went to Chonlada Coffee House for breakfast. (SSCC Rd, about 1.5 kms east of the intersection with Nongprue Rd.) The building is very pleasant, with both indoor, A/C seating, and a few tables outside. (Outside tables are a bit too close to the fast moving, dust launching traffic for my liking.) The owner is a very sweet and attractive young lady named Pook. Her English is quite good, as she studied it in university. She worked in BKK for several years with an English born, American raised boss; but she is married to a Thai gentleman. I was amazed to learn from her that she has only been open for 3-1/2 months, and had no previous experience in running a restaurant. :D

I had the American breakfast, which consisted of two eggs, a generous portion of well cooked bacon (I like it fairly well done, to the chewy, and slightly crispy point), a sausage of much better quality than most here, a large slice of good quality ham, some sliced tomato and onion, 4 slices of good bread w/butter and marmalade, a glass of (poor) OJ, and a cup of very good coffee. I added hash browns, which I saw listed on the "Swiss breakfast". They were, as I had expected, a bit disappointing, since they were the "frozen patty" variety. Not inedible, but not the great, freshly made hash browns that I love. Overall, I was very satisfied with what I had, and there are many more options, including (not on the menu) poached eggs that Pook told me they can make (thanks to instruction from a nice customer, she said). :o

They also have free wi-fi, which, according to a guy who was using it when I arrived, operates at a decent speed. (Of course, he was the only user on at the time, so it may not always be that good, if there are several users simultaneously.

In any case, this place will become a bit of a habit for me. I don't eat breakfast every day. In fact, it's usually more of a brunch for me (arrived at about 10 this morning), since I'm just not ready to eat early in the morning. But I expect to be driving the 2.5 kms to enjoy their food, comfortable facility, and sweet and gracious host, at least once a week. For those of you who do enjoy an early breakfast, there's good news too. They open at 7:30! It is breakfast and lunch fare only, with some soups, several salads, and a dozen or so sandwiches and burgers, in addition to the many breakfast options. I'll have to try a cheeseburger some day. It would be a real bonanza for me if they do those well! (If not, based on the poached egg story, perhaps Pook will take some constructive suggestions! I'm no chef, but I DO know how to make a good American cheeseburger!)

There, now I feel better! :D

I tried Chonlada coffee this afternoon and must agree that this is another one of the better places on the Dark side.

I had a ham and cheese sandwich and a ceaser salad and english tea, coffee is not my thing, and the gf had some rice soup and OJ :D

Everything I had and the gf's soup was fine but my gf agreed with you on the OJ, of course I hadn't told her what I'd read beforehand so when I mentioned your post and the OJ I was a bastard for not telling her rather than the good guy letting her have her own opinion :D .

Anyway I see a few early morning calls per week to have some breakfast and check my emails in the pleasant and so far very clean surroundings.

I tried Chonlada coffee this afternoon and must agree that this is another one of the better places on the Dark side.

I had a ham and cheese sandwich and a ceaser salad and english tea, coffee is not my thing, and the gf had some rice soup and OJ :o

Everything I had and the gf's soup was fine but my gf agreed with you on the OJ, of course I hadn't told her what I'd read beforehand so when I mentioned your post and the OJ I was a bastard for not telling her rather than the good guy letting her have her own opinion :D .

Anyway I see a few early morning calls per week to have some breakfast and check my emails in the pleasant and so far very clean surroundings.

Glad to hear that the lunch food was as enjoyable for you as was the breakfast for me, Paul. As for the OJ, tell your GF that she should never accept someone else's opinion on specific food items. As I noted earlier, taste is much too individual for us to blindly accept the opinion of another person. I respect and consider the opinion of others, but I'd never give up on something that I generally like (pizza, steak, seafood ... whatever) until I tasted it for myself. So tell her that she should always, as you said, try things, and form her own opinion.

In any case, if we run into each other, please speak up. In fact, all of us participating in this thread should do so. Too bad we don't have a "Dark Side" patch we could wear! :-) But, in lieu of that, I'll tell you that I'm about 5'8", with a full head of brown hair, glasses, and more poundage than I should have (not obese, but not slim or muscular either!). My car is a 4-door, beige Honda City. Say hello (any of you guys) if you see me/us at any one of my favorite haunts. My wife will not likely be with me for breakfast, as she's tends to stay up very late, and sleep through the morning hours. For dinner, we'll almost always dine together. (Rung Thip and Swiss Paradise are most frequent for dinner. Ticino's is rare, as will be Sure Park. I don't know about Meineken Pis, as I haven't tried it yet. For breakfast, so far, Chonlada is my only destination, but likely only once or twice a week, after 9 AM.)

Good health, and good eating!

Both were a disaster, especially the thing they call a club sandwich. Now, in the USA, a club sandwich is 3 slices of toasted bread, with mayo on each interior side. It is layered (which of the two levels gets which items is optional) with lettuce, chicken or turkey breast slice, bacon, cheese, tomato, onion, and, sometimes, also a slice of ham. The thing they served me had the 3 slices of toasted bread, with some mayo on them. Inside were a fried egg (NO!), a couple of split slices of bacon, a couple of small slices of tomato, and a "trace" of onion slice. This skimpy creation cost 120 Bt! That's about $4 these days. I would never again order that sandwich!

George...nice report on Courtyard and Chalada. Things are not sounding too promising for The Courtyard but it is still early. Maybe they will settle-in and get in a grove but the signs are not promising. Glad Chalada turned out well for you.

As for a decent club sandwich, other than Au Bon Pain and Delifrance (where you can basically construct your own), the other really good one is the Deli Bean cafe mentioned earlier. They do a very good version of this classic...it's a little pricey at B130 but it is good.

As an aside, I see where the Sam Tor Thai steakhouse on Nernplubwan has closed and they have a sign up for a the place they are constructing. Something called Tantawan restaurant (Thai oriented venue I think). Says open 24 hours and the bad part...get this...food AND KARAOKE! Glad I don't live anywhere near the place :o

Also the Dao has one of my favourite dishes anywhere on the darkside, try their chicken breast in mushroom sauce (190 baht) but pay an extra 20 baht to get rid of the french fries in return for saute potatoes also comes with salad and bread.

I have to heartely second V8's recommendation here. I have recommended Dao in prior posts but mostly in relation to their Thai dishes which I usually have and to knock their pizzas slightly. However, as this chicken mushroom has been mentioned in a couple posts and I like both, I decided to give it a try for dinner tonite. Am I glad I did :D

First, for a started, I had the spaghetti bolonaise (meat sauce). It was okay at B140. Not bad but nothing special either. Sauce a little watery and not allot of meat in it. Almost more a marinara sauce, with a little meat thrown in. Would I have it again, yes, but I have had better. Now on to the main course:

This is a wonderful dish (how they do it for B190 is beyond me). In fact, I will go so far as to say it is one of the tastiest chicken dishes I have had in years. The secret is in the delicious sauce...gotta love the French and their sauces!!! As V8 mentioned, you get a tiny salad and some bread for starters. My advice is to eat the salad but don't eat the breat...save it for later. The dish consists of 2 very nice sized pieces of sautaed chicken breast and bathed in a wonderful mushroom cream sauce. I didn't recognize the 'shrooms, but they were not those horrible Thas "button" type ones you get in most places in Thailand.

When I first received the dish I was a little apprehensive as the sauce was quite thin and light (watery) and I was afraid it would not have much flavor. I tend to have a bias for heavy cream sauces (naughty me...with my ever-expanding waistline). Boy was I wrong! It was a very fine tasting cream sauce with a hind of white wine too. The chicken breasts were rolled-up and the meat was well trimmed (no gristle or carteledge). There was lots of sauce so the French fries or optional sautaed potatoes are great to lap it all up...and this is where you can also use your saved bread. Dip it in the sauce..its wonderful.

I will definitely drop a few nites a month for this dish...oh my poor waistline :o

I live next to sure park and visit quite often, Can not complain about any meals me and the family have had there, each to their own though.

I have not yet been to this place, but have had some good reports about the new guest house/restaurant called the Elephant on Khao Talo, very well run and their food comes highly recommended, have any of you guy's had the pleasure? Its roughly half way up Khao Talo (from Suk Rd) on the left passed the 1st 7/11.

As an aside, I see where the Sam Tor Thai steakhouse on Nernplubwan has closed and they have a sign up for a the place they are constructing. Something called Tantawan restaurant (Thai oriented venue I think). Says open 24 hours and the bad part...get this...food AND KARAOKE! Glad I don't live anywhere near the place :D

The trick for this one is going to be to find out what time the karaoke begins, and get there early enough to be finished, and out of there, before then! I have to say that, while karaoke sucks in the USA, the Thais are even worse. As we've mentioned before, the karaoke joint next door to Rung Thip is the only drawback to the place. I always ask the girls to turn up the volume on the TV, regardless of the programming, when the karaoke is "going strong". :D:o

With that rant out of the way, it will be interesting to see what the new place has to offer. The building had some possibilities. Could be a nice setting, if it's well done.