The Dark Side

paul1970

Pasta Basta , 100 baht for an ice cream?

what does a pasta dish cost then ?

About B 160 to B 300 (for the seafood ones), which includes a bowl of soup and roll...and it's B 100 for two scoops.

150 baht for a seafood pasta at il Boudino on Thapparya Road , loaded with shrimp, clams and squid

For 300 baht I have been hitting the KILLER lunch buffet at the new Hilton hotel

Rasta Basta will have to wait

Pasta Basta , 100 baht for an ice cream?

what does a pasta dish cost then ?

About B 160 to B 300 (for the seafood ones), which includes a bowl of soup and roll...and it's B 100 for two scoops.

Tried Pasta Basta ,

It really really sucked

The cheapest Pasta I saw was 190 baht

the small dinner roll was toasted and burnt

the half a bowl of soup had an off flavor.

A bottle of drinking water , that was not listed as having a price on the menu cost 60 baht , this is a small place on the

darkside with no parking that I'd think was trying to attract the folks who live in this area.

Overall impression - FAIL

Tried Pasta Basta ,

It really really sucked

I'm surprised at your reaction. I've eaten there several times and I've fallen in love with it. The soup tasted just fine each time. My dinner roll was served hot and wasn't at all burnt. The pasta dishes were great and they give you plenty. And I think the overall price is quite reasonable.

As far as parking is concerned, I park on the street. Also, directly across the street there is a huge parking lot.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. For me it has become a favorite. Since you and I have opposite opinions, I would say for everyone who might be interested to try it and judge for themselves.

Tried Pasta Basta ,

It really really sucked

I'm surprised at your reaction. I've eaten there several times and I've fallen in love with it. The soup tasted just fine each time. My dinner roll was served hot and wasn't at all burnt. The pasta dishes were great and they give you plenty. And I think the overall price is quite reasonable.

As far as parking is concerned, I park on the street. Also, directly across the street there is a huge parking lot.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. For me it has become a favorite. Since you and I have opposite opinions, I would say for everyone who might be interested to try it and judge for themselves.

i wanted to eat there but could not park outside the restaurant as it was blocked off with concrete bollards, and they said it was only for parking motorbikes

we did not want to park on the street near the junction, as teenagers were playing around on motorbikes and the huge parking lot opposite is for sole use of folks visiting the gym

so we left, and went somewhere more welcoming.........

I am very dissapointed with Oscars, so highly recommended in this thread. Went there for dinner 2 weeks ago and found the price/quality ratio unacceptable :angry: Had the "House Special" by the name something like the Angry Tiger :unsure: and it was nothing but cooked Chicken Mini Fillets, straight out of the Supermarket packet and served in a hotplate with pepper sauce. Rice was extra and together I paid some 160 baht :blink: Mrs had "Prawns" in a hot plate with rice extra and this one took the trophy! 7 or 8 tiny shrimps like in a khao pad gung portion and also cost total 160 baht! Total rip off IMO ;)

I am the Dark Lord and I live on the Darkside.

I was once known as "Mobi D'Ark" (Mobi of the Dark (side)) and that was long before anyone had coined the phrase 'Darkside'

I suppose if I had been known as "Mobi Far", then we wouldn't be having this 'Dark vs Far' debate today.

But the 'Far Lord' just doesn't have the same ring to it.....

Actually, now that the new motorway spur is open, it's not very far at all - about 10 mins from where I live to Pattaya Klang. maybe we should call it the 'not so far side'.... :)

I am the Dark Lord and I live on the Darkside.

I was once known as "Mobi D'Ark" (Mobi of the Dark (side)) and that was long before anyone had coined the phrase 'Darkside'

I suppose if I had been known as "Mobi Far", then we wouldn't be having this 'Dark vs Far' debate today.

But the 'Far Lord' just doesn't have the same ring to it.....

Actually, now that the new motorway spur is open, it's not very far at all - about 10 mins from where I live to Pattaya Klang. maybe we should call it the 'not so far side'.... :)

i humbly bow to thee oh Dark Lord of Yonder Darkside

for though hast been around since Buddha was a lad.........

What happened to Mr. Moo? First they were located in the Big-C shopping center on Sukhumvit. They moved to Soi Khaotolo. Now they have disappeared from that location. Does anyone know either their new location or whether they have gone out of business completely?

What happened to Mr. Moo? First they were located in the Big-C shopping center on Sukhumvit. They moved to Soi Khaotolo. Now they have disappeared from that location. Does anyone know either their new location or whether they have gone out of business completely?

Yeah... what happened to Mr. Moo??

...but only if you enter the motorway the wrong way...as we all do...:lol:

A potentially libelous post has been removed from view.

I guess that was my post about what happened to Mr. Moo. Sorry, I didn't realize anyone would take that as libelous. Ok, I hope this short version isn't libelous: Mr. Moo has definitely closed and apparently there are no plans to reopen.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I tried both, Pasta Basta and Ticino. Both fare definitely far above standards. Pasta Basta has an interesting walk-in wine cellar (air-conditioned) with a regretfully very fair selection of vini italiani and some new world wines. The pasta was fine; the service sucked (as in most places) but well - as far as the food is concerned it beats most places on the Bright Side.

Ticino then, albeit a little further out, is a dining experience (dinner only, closed on Tuesdays). A lush garden restaurant, second-to-none selection of food, reasonable selection of very reasonably priced vini.

Except in both places to spend more than in those dreadful downtown eateries; pasta between THB 200 - THB 300 but then again - top notch. Ticino has in addition the thinnest pizze in town and a yammy selection of à la carte hard-to-finds. Saltimbocca, Ossobuco (both being the real thing with veal), rabbit ragout, beef fondues and all with fresh à la minute sauces.

You go to these places if you are a real food lover; the cheapies have to stay home whistling.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i ventured out last night to a recently opened restaurant facing Mabprachan Lake

its between to the big manor house ''Dunroamin'' and next to ''Sammys bar''

the name escapes me i'm afraid

however its notable by a big bavarian flag on the face of the restaurant

so its an easy guess its German run

its actually owned by an affable german guy named Fritz and run by his wife Pom

i am no restaurant reviewer but i will say the euro food i had was delicious, the wife had Thai and approved too

the service was good and attentive

the bill was very reasonable

Pom Fritz were good hosts (pun intended)

as non Germans, we were made very welcome

my friend who is German was in there and he seemed right at home

for Rainer and Claus (you know who you are) this restaurant is highly recommended

for others, don't be biased, the restaurant owners aren't, give it a try

i had a good night and i will be back for more very soon

oh and for the usual TV descenters i have no financial interest in the place nor until after last night could i say i knew the owners, i just give credit where its due................

Yeah, I closed it for editing because someone had gone in and put a bunch of links to Italy and a bunch of other places irrelevant to the map.

I guess I should open it again.

Maybe there is a way to open it for selected users, for example those who have already posted useful points?

There's a website called Foursquare (with apps for Android, Blackberry and Iphone) which might become very useful as well. At the moment many of the references are Thai, but I guess with time there would be plenty of room for the farang restaurants as well.

There's a website called Foursquare (with apps for Android, Blackberry and Iphone) which might become very useful as well. At the moment many of the references are Thai, but I guess with time there would be plenty of room for the farang restaurants as well.

i've added every restaurant that didn't exist on Foursquare. i suggest we get the word out and get more using Foursquare. also, use the TIPS section and add your thoughts!

i rarely come upon a restaurant now that isn't on FSq.

Edited by anothertorres

khao talo's hamburgerservice oppesite eakmongkol 2/1,real messy junkfood,unfortenly this guy opens from 1800 till midnight...the time i work...lol,worth trying because to find junkfood at night at the darkside is kind of complicated....

khao talo's hamburgerservice oppesite eakmongkol 2/1,real messy junkfood,unfortenly this guy opens from 1800 till midnight...the time i work...lol,worth trying because to find junkfood at night at the darkside is kind of complicated....

If you get the late nite munchies, just make you way out to Sukhumvit...the Micky D's is open 24/7.

...it lists also the local gay bars so I heard....:whistling: