The Dark Side

paul1970

There's a website called Foursquare (with apps for Android, Blackberry and Iphone) which might become very useful as well. At the moment many of the references are Thai, but I guess with time there would be plenty of room for the farang restaurants as well.

...it lists also the local gay bars so I heard....:whistling:

Yeah, you should know :whistling:

• 2 months later...

The Eastern Grand Palace Resort, on Soi Khao Talo just to the Sukhumvit side of the railroad tracks offers a 199 baht Thai, European, and Japanese buffet for 199 baht on Fridays and Saturdays. That sounded good enough to us to give it a try. Including the bottled water, our bill actually came to 184 baht per person, even lower than their advertised price.

I thought what you get is reasonable for the price. They had two different kinds of soups - cream of mushroom and tom yang talay, fried chicken chopped into tiny pieces, spaghetti with some sort of weird tasting slightly sweet tomato sauce, pork roast, stir fried vegetables, a fish dish (that one was good), fried rice, those tiny, flavorless Thai hot dogs, and a couple other items. The Japanese food consisted of two different kinds of sushi. There was a salad bar and several different kinds of fresh fruit offerings.

If you're looking for a cheapie dinner without expecting anything special, you won't be disappointed. It's not bad for the price, but you're not going to get better than you're paying for. We'll be back, but not often.

There's a website called Foursquare (with apps for Android, Blackberry and Iphone) which might become very useful as well. At the moment many of the references are Thai, but I guess with time there would be plenty of room for the farang restaurants as well.

hey, a guy gets bored once in a while. so, i added the Crossroads, big whoop, wanna fight about it? ;)

hey, a guy gets bored once in a while. so, i added the Crossroads, big whoop, wanna fight about it? ;)

Crossroads closed over a year ago. <_<

• 1 month later...
Tried a newish Indian restaurant on Soi Nernplubwaan called My Home Nan & Curry, this is a small open fronted shop opposite the muslim school on Soi Nernplubwaan.

Oh my god...he lives...I thought you (OP) dropped off the face of the earth as I never see you adding to this massive thread you started :)

If you look back a few posts, you will see that I already reviewed this place. I agreed with your opinion that the food is very good and inexpensive and best ordered for take-away or delivery.

Went looking for this place today, could not find it. Maybe closed for Songkran?

Any more detail on the location?

Many thanks

I ordered from them yesterday and they are open...asked owner if he'll close for Songkran and he said only on Monday the 19th.

It is easy to miss as there is no sign and just on open-air looking resto with a few tables inside. I may have neglected to mention that they are only open for dinner from 4 p.m. onwards. Again, it's located on the the corner of soi 8/1 Nernplubwan - opposite the police-office that's located just before the Muslim school/temple (if coming from Sukhumvit). Good luck finding it as the food is really good (have had the chicken tikka masala twice and the chicken korma...both excellent).

Just an update on My Home Nan & Curry, the place will be closing on the 20th of this month and relocating to new premises and supposed to be reopening on the 1st of Dec.

He is moving further up Nernplubwaan where the 7/11 and family mart are opposite each other on the offset crossroads, he said he would be a little way into the soi on the family mart side.

• 3 months later...

That's right Paul....My Home Nan & Curry is about 70m up on the right hand side of that soi. A further 200m or so up on the right there is a chicken kebab wagon (best I've had in LOS). Cute vendor too !! Open from 5pm to 11pm (she then departs for central Pattaya).

About 250m up from 'Beer & Coffee' on Khao Noi, there is a place called 'Khao Noi Restaurant'..... Pizzas B100, Indian curries with rice 100B, English Breakfast 85B, Main dishes like fish & chips, steak & chips, chicken kiev etc are all priced at around the B120 mark. Thai food is good and well priced too. I think beers start at around B30. Glass of house wine B50. As you would expect, at these prices they do get busy sometimes, so the food can take a while to get to your table (especially when there's premier league football on). The 'silent' owner from the UK is a nice guy. His missus (Noi) speaks good English. It's early days at this place, and with the ridiculously cheap prices, they still seem to be trying to find the perfect formula without going over budget. I think they also do a Sunday roast for around B120ish. Bland decor, but colouful characters present often !

Moving further up Khao Noi (a few hundred metres before 'The Red Lion' on the right hand side) is 'Starlight' bar and restaurant. Again, cheap booze and food (small but tasty selection of western food). Great selection of 'top shelf' spirits. The owner, John, seems like a good guy, but he pretty much leaves to all to his Missus. Staff have always been friendly.

Oh....For the Indian food lovers on a tight budget. There is a Muslim Thai place on NPW that sells 'Khao Mok Gai'. It's yellow seasoned rice served with seasoned chicken, which hs a very distinct Malay / Indian flavour about it. Bargain at B35 !! If you're coming from Sukkie, go all the way up to the crossroads where there's a 7/11 on the left and a Family Mart on the right..........Turn right at Famly Mart for 'My Home Nan & Curry' and 'Hot chick selling kebabs'............For the B35 Buryani style chicken on yellow rice, DON'T turn right at Family Mart. Just go past it about 20m. It's on the right side (opposite the 'Mityon' second hand motorcycle store). Open late afternoon 'til about 10pm......Oh.....They also do a mean braised beef noodle soup for about B35.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I am living since 8 years on the dark side and I love it. We have all that what the city offers from restaurants to lady bars, just the 'rip off factor' starting from motorbike taxi end ending at your "with the fork written" check bin.

I usually hang around for a beer at Bee's and Nee's Bar Soi Khao Noi. The owner Bob is a nice Aussie bloke and his staff is very friendly and caretaking to every customer, but the service way and not the bar fine way! So bring your wife with and get her to play 'killer pool' with Nee, my wife and all friends. Sure she will push you after the first night out by Bob back into it for a yek yek.

Further there is the Titty Twister with Hellboy (Mark) (new location!) and in the old location Uwe's Black Hole Bar.. No hazzle with the chicks if you are just on for a beer or 2.

Keep your wedding ring on and rule Nr 1 is taking force that makes you drinking your beer in a relaxed atmosphere BUT with lots of fun out of the ;surprise Box;

all are very open to strangers...

Now the Food on the dark side: Yes Titty Tiwster and Black hole do snacks!

But if you fancy a dining out here you want to try; Soi Nern Plub Wan, about 1km before the Temple comes a very small restaurant called 'Sea Zen'

the Thai owner (a former chef on a cruise ship) knows his business, Thai and Farang are satisfied the same way. Sometimes I ask him to do me some gravy for the road that I use as spread on y bread.. Mouthwatering! Then off cause that Ventiane Restaurant just 100m from Sea Zen.. If you have to go dining with friends or have to take as expat visit from your country to a meal.. Yess, Ventiane and order one of these sizzler plates, when its getting served a whistle goes off and the waiter will come running through the restaurant.

Then in soi siam country club RouteCC jeeezzzz what a green pepper steak and also the Burgers just look at the size of that big bastards will fill you up..

and finally in all these 'insider' places you won't pay what you pay in the city but if you come twice you will be remembered as frequent customer and not as tourist.

• Like 1

That's right Paul....My Home Nan & Curry is about 70m up on the right hand side of that soi. A further 200m or so up on the right there is a chicken kebab wagon (best I've had in LOS). Cute vendor too !! Open from 5pm to 11pm (she then departs for central Pattaya).

How is the food at the My Home Nan & Curry spot? It's so close to me and I never even knew it was there. Any idea on the hours or pricing? Does anyone want to recommend some of the best dishes you've had there?

Thanks. Looking forward to checking it out myself soon.

That's cheap? I guess I'd have to see the portions.

They were so so.. I paid 200thb and was satified but the food (chicken tika marsala) was just ok.

It's a nice change to pizza delivery but certainly won't stop me from going to my favorite indian joints in town.

I will try some more dishes and report back.

They were so so.. I paid 200thb and was satified but the food (chicken tika marsala) was just ok.

It's a nice change to pizza delivery but certainly won't stop me from going to my favorite indian joints in town.

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but can you share your favorite indian places in town? Thanks!!!

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but can you share your favorite indian places in town? Thanks!!!

My favorite is Madras Darbar.. they are on 2nd road just across the street from Pattaya Central festival Mall. Also, that spot called Indian touch is good too. They are on 2nd road in S. Pattaya in that area being called the "indian food" district

My favorite is Madras Darbar.. they are on 2nd road just across the street from Pattaya Central festival Mall. Also, that spot called Indian touch is good too. They are on 2nd road in S. Pattaya in that area being called the "indian food" district

Thanks!!

Just had the chicken tikka masala, chicken vindaloo, pilau rice and plain nan from Curry Point - 390 baht. Quality was very good and was quite surprised at the quality of the chicken at that price - it was good value and I will be going there again.

Sure there are better curries around in better surroundings but not at that price and not near where I live. Ideal for stopping in on the way home though clearly set up for deliveries with the family fussing around bringing me water and an electic fan while I waited.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone noticed that the Sure Park restaurant is now called Titty Twister? What happened to Sure Park? I don't know why the name changed to a name like that. I don't think that's a very good idea. The web site for Titty Twister is still www.sureparkpattaya.com/

All I see on the site is a set of photos. I don't see a menu. Has anyone been there? I think I will wait for some reviews before going to that restaurant, if it is still a restaurant.

I used to eat at sure park a few years back and hey have been through good times and not so good times. I haven't even driven by there in months. Maybe they finally sold out to a different owner.

For curries on the dark side give the tandoori spot outside sp5 on soi siam country a try. I sat on the fence a few times and finally I tried it. Very very good take away, in line with a traditional UK curry.

ignore the fact that it looks a little rough and ready, well worth it

I think it's already a girly bar.

It has a girly bar section tucked away out the back out the back but is now more a restaurant than a girly bar. You could take your wife and kids there and they would not be aware of it, the section is totally separated from the main restaurant.

Food is excellent, well worth a try.

ok.. so it's still a restaurant. I will certainly give it another visit.. thanks.

• 6 months later...

My favorite Indian restaurant on The Dark Side, perhaps in all of Pattaya, is Amin Tandoori on Soi Siam Country Club. It's a tiny hole-in-the-wall with no atmosphere whatsoever, but he does have tables. He does deliveries and take out. He delivers as far away as the south part of Jomtien Beach Road.

Meanwhile his food is excellent and the portions are huge.

See:

http://www.mydestination.com/pattaya/restaurants/181320/amin-tandoori

and

Edited by santol
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I know it's been awhile since news has been posted in this thread but 3 new restaurants are worthy of mention:

Holland Cafe. This place is hardly a secret as it does a brisk trade all day long. Open from early morning to 6 I believe. It's an air conditioned coffee shop-bakery-restaurant serving excellent Thai and farang food, fresh baked breads and cakes, and espresso coffe drinks and smoothies. It's associated with the holland tulip resort a short distance away, which also has a restaurant and is open later for dinner after the cafe closes. All the Thai and farang dishes I have tried have been excellent, with special mention going to the onion and split pea soups and the chicken with cashew nuts and apparagus and shrimp stir fry. The breads are a treat as well...they compare favorably with the breads at Big C Extra. Holland Cafe is located on SSCC Road, just a few doors up from the Nongprue intersection.

La Grotta Italian and Pizzaria. This is a nice non-air conditioned pasta a pizza place located on Mappilla soi 28 (just outside Pattaya Paradise Village 2 , near to where the old Titty Twister biker bar was located). They serve excellent pastas and savory euro-style thin crust pizzas. Ingredient quality is high so the pies taste really good and they have a wood burning pizza oven to bake them in. They are open from about 4 pm till late.

Finally, Alexandros Greek Restaurant. I haven't tried this place yet but just want to let folks know its out there. Located a bit before the Pussycat Club on soi NPW, it is a single shophouse affair and open only for dinner I believe. I hope to try it soon.

• Like 1

One more plug for the Holland cafe. Walking distance from home certainly helps, but they carry German and French bread and cakes from the bakery opposite. The German bakery was at Soi Khao Noi before and is really decent!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app