The Dark Side

paul1970

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For those looking for a nice cup of coffee at the lower end of Nern Plub Wan, there is a nice tidy air-con shop with the name "Coffee Shop" run by an Italian fella and his partner (whose really easy on the eyes...just the thing in the morning). This gal knows how to handle the espresso machine knob and pulls a nice espresso or cappachino. There is also a small selection of homemade baked goods and a sandwich menu. They are open from 8-8 and have free wi-fi. It's located about 100 meters done from the wanisan farm intersection on the left (towards W. Satuwas). It's next to (part of) the moto rental shop next door. Stop by and support the place as prices are Darkside (35-45 baht for coffees) and do your eyes a favor too.

I'm trying to place it, but I have never heard of the Wanisarn Farm intersection or W. Satuwas either and I've lived in the area over 3 years.

Yeah those names don't do anything for me and I live just round the corner!

Watched them building the M/c rental shop so I know where it is. Don't drink coffee very often so haven't visited yet.

Head up NPW from suk till you reach soi 31 on the left that is the cross over soi to soi siam cc. There is a 7 on that corner continue on a short distance to the next 7 on that side and the rental place is just after that.Coffee shop next door

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For those looking for a nice cup of coffee at the lower end of Nern Plub Wan, there is a nice tidy air-con shop with the name "Coffee Shop" run by an Italian fella and his partner (whose really easy on the eyes...just the thing in the morning). This gal knows how to handle the espresso machine knob and pulls a nice espresso or cappachino. There is also a small selection of homemade baked goods and a sandwich menu. They are open from 8-8 and have free wi-fi. It's located about 100 meters done from the wanisan farm intersection on the left (towards W. Satuwas). It's next to (part of) the moto rental shop next door. Stop by and support the place as prices are Darkside (35-45 baht for coffees) and do your eyes a favor too.

I'm trying to place it, but I have never heard of the Wanisarn Farm intersection or W. Satuwas either and I've lived in the area over 3 years.
Sorry....must not have finished my coffee yet when I posted the location info. It's not on SSCC/Wanisan Farm area. As mentioned above, it's on NPW...about 3 kilos from Sukie there is a busy intersection with a Family Mart and 7-11 directly opposite each other and if one were to make a left there it would take you to SSCC. But don't do that, just go straight about another 200 meters and its on the same side of the street. It's a small place and not well signed...just look for the corner lot with a tent and all the motos for rent and the coffee shop is next door. (If you're really a Darksider, I could just say it's directly at the point where the high-tension electric power lines/towers bisect NPW and you would know where it is).

Don't know if I mentioned it in my op but they have some decent ice-cream there too, which is nice on these hot days or for making homemade affogatos (the girls were surprised to see me make that in front of them with my espresso shot and vanilla ice-cream).

By the way, wat Sutawas is the temple at the T-junction at the end of NPW. You sure you lived in the area 3 years :)

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Sorry....must not have finished my coffee yet when I posted the location info. It's not on SSCC/Wanisan Farm area. As mentioned above, it's on NPW...about 3 kilos from Sukie there is a busy intersection with a Family Mart and 7-11 directly opposite each other and if one were to make a left there it would take you to SSCC. But don't do that, just go straight about another 200 meters and its on the same side of the street. It's a small place and not well signed...just look for the corner lot with a tent and all the motos for rent and the coffee shop is next door. (If you're really a Darksider, I could just say it's directly at the point where the high-tension electric power lines/towers bisect NPW and you would know where it is).

Don't know if I mentioned it in my op but they have some decent ice-cream there too, which is nice on these hot days or for making homemade affogatos (the girls were surprised to see me make that in front of them with my espresso shot and vanilla ice-cream).

By the way, wat Sutawas is the temple at the T-junction at the end of NPW. You sure you lived in the area 3 years smile.png

Not everyone goes around clocking and memorising the names of all the temples, dude..

By the way, wat Sutawas is the temple at the T-junction at the end of NPW. You sure you lived in the area 3 years smile.png

Not everyone goes around clocking and memorising the names of all the temples, dude..

Well if someone moves to a neighborhood in a foreign country, it might behove them to look at a map and make note of some of the local landmarks. As in this case, it might help them to find their way around or receive directions from others...dude.

Well if someone moves to a neighborhood in a foreign country, it might behove them to look at a map and make note of some of the local landmarks. As in this case, it might help them to find their way around or receive directions from others...dude.

Dude ... you obviously haven't moved to a neighbourhood in a foreign country. You start with a specific, identifiable point of reference and then take it from there with signs that can be clearly identified (eg, a well sign-posted bar/dentistry/clinic). The names you mentioned mean jack - this is Thailand, Not exactly the hub of sign-posting geniuses. Use your nous when giving directions. Dude.

Dude ... you obviously haven't moved to a neighbourhood in a foreign country. You start with a specific, identifiable point of reference and then take it from there with signs that can be clearly identified (eg, a well sign-posted bar/dentistry/clinic). The names you mentioned mean jack - this is Thailand, Not exactly the hub of sign-posting geniuses. Use your nous when giving directions. Dude.

As we're talking about the Darkside of Pattaya, and more specifically the lower NPW and mid-SSCC areas, what <deleted> "identifiable point of reference" would you suggest? Wat Suttawas is a major temple in the area so it is a decent point of reference. I'm sorry if some people can't be bothered to learn the name of a major landmark in their adopted neighborhood. It will make it difficult for them to give/receive directions, however. There are very few or no other hospitals, clinics, or dentists (but lots of vet clinics) in the area that many are likely to know. Other than the Thai wet-markets and the 7's and some well known restos, there are few sign-posts to guide us around the area. With my, and the other members directions, even you should be able to find the coffee shop now if you so desire. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

As we're talking about the Darkside of Pattaya, and more specifically the lower NPW and mid-SSCC areas, what <deleted> "identifiable point of reference" would you suggest? Wat Suttawas is a major temple in the area so it is a decent point of reference. I'm sorry if some people can't be bothered to learn the name of a major landmark in their adopted neighborhood. It will make it difficult for them to give/receive directions, however. There are very few or no other hospitals, clinics, or dentists (but lots of vet clinics) in the area that many are likely to know. Other than the Thai wet-markets and the 7's and some well known restos, there are few sign-posts to guide us around the area. With my, and the other members directions, even you should be able to find the coffee shop now if you so desire.

You're a genius, OMG. This from your posts:

... it's on NPW about a kilo up from wat satuwas on the right. It's a prominent corner location at a bend in the road so hard to miss...

For those looking for a nice cup of coffee at the lower end of Nern Plub Wan, there is a nice tidy air-con shop with the name "Coffee Shop" run by an Italian fella and his partner ...

It's located about 100 meters done from the wanisan farm intersection on the left (towards W. Satuwas). It's next to (part of) the moto rental shop next door...

Google isn't OMG's friend

Night all. Bed time.

As we're talking about the Darkside of Pattaya, and more specifically the lower NPW and mid-SSCC areas, what <deleted> "identifiable point of reference" would you suggest? Wat Suttawas is a major temple in the area so it is a decent point of reference. I'm sorry if some people can't be bothered to learn the name of a major landmark in their adopted neighborhood. It will make it difficult for them to give/receive directions, however. There are very few or no other hospitals, clinics, or dentists (but lots of vet clinics) in the area that many are likely to know. Other than the Thai wet-markets and the 7's and some well known restos, there are few sign-posts to guide us around the area. With my, and the other members directions, even you should be able to find the coffee shop now if you so desire.

You're a genius, OMG. This from your posts:

... it's on NPW about a kilo up from wat satuwas on the right. It's a prominent corner location at a bend in the road so hard to miss...

For those looking for a nice cup of coffee at the lower end of Nern Plub Wan, there is a nice tidy air-con shop with the name "Coffee Shop" run by an Italian fella and his partner ...

It's located about 100 meters done from the wanisan farm intersection on the left (towards W. Satuwas). It's next to (part of) the moto rental shop next door...

Google isn't OMG's friend

Night all. Bed time.

Humm, I thought I already said my initial directions were somewhat garbled. However, if you want to continue to beat that dead horse have at it.

Can someone tell me what has happened to La Grotta Italian and Pizzaria on Mappilla soi 28 (just outside Pattaya Paradise Village 2 near to where the old Titty Twister biker bar was located)? I took the family there last week (albeit very early at around 16.30) as the children wanted lasagne and previously we have had excellent meals and service. Both lasagnes were dry and had very little meat content and whilst used to food appearing at the table at various times, it did seem odd that the two lasagnes came up 10 minutes apart? I bet on a pork scallop with spaghetti and tomato sauce, the pork was tough and yet raw (still oinking) in the middle. Has the place changed hands, is the owner away, did I just hit it at a bad time i.e. early evening? I did try to offer positive feedback but was met with an attitude I have never experienced in that particular restaurant before but then never have had to comment before. So glad I checked it out before my family arrived at the weekend as I would have been embarrassed had I taken them there. Any feedback much appreciated as it was a handy Italian option in my local area.

Sorry to hear about your experience, hopefully it was just a one-off. Maybe the chef was sick and one of the dek serves tried to fill in. I mainly use them for the occasional pizza and hopefully those are still good. Between La Grotta, Aqua Dymie, Pizza Company, NY Pizza, Fabrice, and even Tocino, I'm well covered for pizza pies on the Darkside.

Tropical Bert has opened the Tropical bar on Watboonsampan, Khao Talo and Khao Noi both leading to this road. It is just past or before (depending on direction of travel) The Red Lion. Amazing food.....not the cheapest but who cares....The Lamb doner kebab is a must for all us UK folk......I can not fault the place.

I haven't yet been to La Grotta but was considering trying it out one day. Now I'm not too sure.

Maybe it has gone the same way as so many pubs and restaurants in Pattaya - a lack of experienced , professional management.

So many people think it is so easy to run such establishments, and very few succeed.

Places like La Grotta - which apparently started off with good quality food has already gone downhill. (or so I hear...)

Why? because almost certainly the owner/manager took his eye off the business. He probably started OK and then thought he could leave it to run itself. Or the cook quit (or demanded more money and was let go) and was replaced with someone cheaper and unskilled. Or the owner did the cooking himself to start with and then handed over to Thai staff - any or all of these reasons are frequently to blame for good quality food suddenly deteriorating.

It is very difficult to run a successful bar and /or restaurant, especially on the Darkside, where the clientèle are mainly residents (short or long term) and there are very few - if any - 'millionaires for a week' ' tourists.

I have lived on the Darkside for nearly 10 years and have seen so many bars etc fail that I have long since lost count. For some reason retired taxi drivers, lorry drivers, builders or even insurance salesmen seem to think that they are God's gift to the Thai catering industry and that it's so easy to run such places - but even in the west it is very hard work, and its much harder here, because they don't even speak the language. More ofetn than not their own staff (and even their Thai wives) screw the heck out of them.

The few places that have had succeeded over here have professional management who know that the first rule of the catering/drinks business is to be 'on site' at their premises 24/7, watching over things and make sure that their standards never slip, and to understand the concept that the customer is always right.

If they are not preprepared to put in this commitment and just want to run around the other bars getting drunk, or think everything will run itself when they take off to some far-fling oil rig on a tour of duty, then they will surely fail.

Most owners fail to comprehend that every time they get one dissatisfied customer, the loss of business is increased 50 fold as the word gets around amongst friends and acquaintances...(and on forums such as Thai Visa)

A good example is the 'Fishermans' on Lake Mabprachan which some years ago had such bad management that the customers deserted the place in droves and it was literally devoid of customers for over two years.

Now, under new management and after a long hard struggle, the new management has gradually enticed new customers in and they are now doing a good trade. But it took them years - not months to achieve this. A bad reputation takes a very long time to turn around.

Many owners give up after six months as they fail to appreciate that out it is a very long slow process out on the Darkside and they must be forever vigilant for any drop in service or quality.

Eventually, by the same word of mouth that harmed bad business, a good business will attract and keep its customers, but it can take well over a year before they see sustainable results.

I could write a book of all the reasons why such business fail out here.

It's not for the faint-hearted....

Edited by Mobi
  • Like 1

I haven't yet been to La Grotta but was considering trying it out one day. Now I'm not too sure.

Maybe it has gone the same way as so many pubs and restaurants in Pattaya - a lack of experienced , professional management.

So many people think it is so easy to run such establishments, and very few succeed.

Places like La Grotta - which apparently started off with good quality food has already gone downhill. (or so I hear...)

Why? because almost certainly the owner/manager took his eye off the business. He probably started OK and then thought he could leave it to run itself. Or the cook quit (or demanded more money and was let go) and was replaced with someone cheaper and unskilled. Or the owner did the cooking himself to start with and then handed over to Thai staff - any or all of these reasons are frequently to blame for good quality food suddenly deteriorating.

It is very difficult to run a successful bar and /or restaurant, especially on the Darkside, where the clientèle are mainly residents (short or long term) and there are very few - if any - 'millionaires for a week' ' tourists.

I have lived on the Darkside for nearly 10 years and have seen so many bars etc fail that I have long since lost count. For some reason retired taxi drivers, lorry drivers, builders or even insurance salesmen seem to think that they are God's gift to the Thai catering industry and that it's so easy to run such places - but even in the west it is very hard work, and its much harder here, because they don't even speak the language. More ofetn than not their own staff (and even their Thai wives) screw the heck out of them.

The few places that have had succeeded over here have professional management who know that the first rule of the catering/drinks business is to be 'on site' at their premises 24/7, watching over things and make sure that their standards never slip, and to understand the concept that the customer is always right.

If they are not preprepared to put in this commitment and just want to run around the other bars getting drunk, or think everything will run itself when they take off to some far-fling oil rig on a tour of duty, then they will surely fail.

Most owners fail to comprehend that every time they get one dissatisfied customer, the loss of business is increased 50 fold as the word gets around amongst friends and acquaintances...(and on forums such as Thai Visa)

A good example is the 'Fishermans' on Lake Mabprachan which some years ago had such bad management that the customers deserted the place in droves and it was literally devoid of customers for over two years.

Now, under new management and after a long hard struggle, the new management has gradually enticed new customers in and they are now doing a good trade. But it took them years - not months to achieve this. A bad reputation takes a very long time to turn around.

Many owners give up after six months as they fail to appreciate that out it is a very long slow process out on the Darkside and they must be forever vigilant for any drop in service or quality.

Eventually, by the same word of mouth that harmed bad business, a good business will attract and keep its customers, but it can take well over a year before they see sustainable results.

Agree...but let's remember this is just one negative report. Unless you have heard additional similar reports from others. Maybe the chef was just sick that day and instead of closing they tried to soldier on. Maybe not the best course of action but seemed so at the time.

Agree...but let's remember this is just one negative report. Unless you have heard additional similar reports from others. Maybe the chef was just sick that day and instead of closing they tried to soldier on. Maybe not the best course of action but seemed so at the time.

Yes, I agree with you too.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? As I said ,it is mainly by word of mouth, not word of forum (although this can have some affect as well.)

In any event, running a professional establishment also means being able to take care of emergencies... but I admit sometimes that may not be too easy.

There used to be a very successful bar /restaurant on the Darkside that sold excellent Belgium food. Nearly every day of the week the restaurant area was full.The standard never varied in the five years or so it was open, and the head chef wasn't always there. But there was always enough 'stand-in' cooks who had been properly trained to ensure they maintained their high standards.

It was run by a professional chef from Belgium (who never cooked, but taught his staff how to) and he knew exactly what he was doing, as far as food was concerned.

Unfortunately, not too great with customer service.

Now sadly closed, due to alcoholism and the break up of the Thai/Belgium marriage.

yet another one bit the dust.....

Edited by Mobi

I agree that the darkside is poorly mapped and signed.

There used to be a reasonably good map showing all the bars etc on the Darkside in a hand-out advertising booklet that you could pick up in some of the bars - something like the Pattaya Today (or is it This Week) hand-out.

There are also a few maps around that you can find by Googling or looking in the Pattaya forums.

Unfortunately, they get out of date very quickly and are not updated.

Maybe an opportunity for someone, (as you said, before you edited your postsmile.png )

Edited by Mobi

I reckon a restaurant on the dark side isn't going to last if it is relying mainly on local farangs. I would wager that most guys out there are family men so eating at home most nights is the norm. The single guys are probably more frequent diners but may be more inclined to head to the bright side for some 'ambiance; if you know what I mean.

It think it's rather like a farang headed up to Bahn Nork with wife and setting up a (say) Irish pub/restaurant and pinning his fortunes on the local expats. They can't afford farang food 2-3 times a week so after the initial rush of interest, it dies a death. The key would be serving decent priced 'international' food with a view to bringing in the much more prevalent and culinary adventurous Thai customer. More Thai's are aware of the variety of offerings from farangland, be it burgers, a nice steak or the ubiquitous spag bol or lasagne. Do it right and encourage them and the place may have a more steady income.

I actually saw this in a big city in Isaan with a fair sized expat comminity where an English restaurateur went a tad OTT on providing a nice dining atmosphere by a lake with a decent, varied menu. After a few months, the local expats used it mostly for beers and some shopping (as they had food import/export business as the main revenue stream) and only a few couples and families dined, mostly at weekends. The owner reduced his staff and hours and menu items to address the revenue loss. However, he never addressed the not infrequent Thai family group who would come for a steak around 8PM, only to be told the kitchen was closed. Even the efforts at having a coffee corner was a wasted investment as all the visible advertising was in English. Only Starbucks can get away with that! Oh yes, and ALWAYS have Thai food available, even if you get it from a local shop next door. There's always one or two in the group that are not THAT adventurous.

Maybe something ponder for those considering a lakeside restaurant business adventure.

• 2 months later...

Just a recommendation and an FYI on a couple Japanese places on the Darkside (we're getting so cosmoplitan now) For those who don't know it, the clubhouse of the SIam Country Club golf course has a nice international restaurant, with an emphasis on Japanese food (to cater to the Japanese factory and golf-tour groups that play the course). The Japanese food menu is extensive and the portions are generous; however, be aware that the prices are geared to the Japanese as well. The setting has both indoor and outdoor seating and there is a nice view of the course. Just park in the main lot and there is a free shuttle golf cart to take you up to the clubhouse. This is a nice place to take visiting guests if you're looking for a nice place and you don't want to drive all the way into town.

Just recently I've noticed a new small Japanese restaurant at the intersection of SSCC and Nongprue Road. (The Holland Restaurant intersection.) At the south-east corner of the intersection is the 7-11...just a couple shops down on SSCC is this new place. I don't konw the name because the sign is in large Japanese characters but it does say Japanese restaurant in English. From the decor, it looks like theyve put some time and effort into this place, however, I have not as yet tried it so can't say anything about the food or prices. It does look to be enclosed with air-con.

Just a final note, there is one of those sushi shack type places, where they sell sushi by the piece now on NPW. It's maybe a half-kilo down from the Wanisin Farm intersection on the left side of the road (if going east). Just look for the Japanese type sign. It seems to be open from early afternoon on through dinner. It seems popular with the Thais as there are usually folks eating there (it's kinda an open air affair) but I have not tried it.

• 1 month later...

I am looking for ground floor storage space around Wat Suttawat/Elephant Village longterm to keep spare parts for my vintage cars. Must be lockable; not that the content is very valuable but a nuisance if they "disappear" nevertheless.
Thanks ;-)

La Grotta - the guy that owns it, who is very rarely there on the few times I have visited it recently, hasn't got a clue about how to run a restaurant. He does have good taste in food though and when he is there paying attention the food makes up for a lot of the foibles that complete lack of knowledge and experience of running a restaurant makes up for. I would speculate that he has gone to his home country for the off season, as the food generally is of a good standard. The biggest issues we have experienced have been forgetting orders (3 or 4 times in total) but being charged for them, both as take away and sitting there. But its a decent place when they kitchen crew has someone inspecting what they are doing.

• 1 month later...
As in this case, it might help them to find their way around or receive directions from others

Many of us have a GPS, whether as a separate unit or installed in a smart phone. If it is possible to include GPS coordinates in a location post, that would be a big help in trying to find these places.

A very small restaurant I truly enjoy is Sami's. If you haven't been there, I recommend giving it a try.

There was a review in the Dining Out section of the Pattaya Mail about Samis International Restaurant (see: http://www.pattayamail.com/diningout/samis-international-restaurant-29206 ). This is a very small, hole-in-the-wall restaurant, very near where I live, on "The Dark Side." I agree with every word in the review.

Believe me, it is everything the review said it is. If you want atmosphere, you won't find it here, but if you want surprisingly good quality, wonderful food, then I highly recommend stopping in.

I thought it was outstanding and the prices are incredibly low for what you get. I started with the pea soup, which was excellent. It is served with a generous piece of warm, crusty French bread. My main course was a goulash, which comes with a salad and mashed potatoes. They will readily substitute any of their other sides for the potatoes. I had the Swiss dumplings instead of potatoes - excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire meal. Between the soup, main course, and the water, my bill was 264 baht. Plenty to eat, very good quality, and certainly reasonable prices.

If you prefer, he also has a set menu.

The owner, Sami, is Thai, but much of the food is Swiss-German. Sami's wife is the one with the experience and training in that style of cooking. They also have a very good Thai food menu. My Thai friend had Thai food and he gave it a definite 'thumbs-up.'

Sami's is closed on Wednesdays. His opening time is 12:00 noon and he closes around 10:00 - 10:30pm, depending on how many customers he has. Usually most of the tables are filled.

In the Pattaya Mail article, the GPS coordinates are incorrect. The actual coordinates are: N 12° 55' 20", E 100° 55' 48"

There is also a good set of reviews on Trip Advisor. See: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d4261329-Reviews-Samis_international_restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by santol
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
As in this case, it might help them to find their way around or receive directions from others

Many of us have a GPS, whether as a separate unit or installed in a smart phone. If it is possible to include GPS coordinates in a location post, that would be a big help in trying to find these places.

What about OSM? Have a lot of places around Pattaya mapped out, including the dark side. What's not on it you can add.

Search for places on OSM with OSMQuery to get co-ordinates for GPS, gpx, kml files and links to maps. Zoom to the area you want to search, select a category and press "search for POIs". The hits are sorted by distance from the red marker which you can set where you want.

Example: Bar,Pubs and Night Clubs on the dark side

• 2 months later...

A new restaurant with the rather unoriginal name of Cheers Pub and Restaurant has opened in the old strangly named Huge Food (fka Ruan Tip) restaurant. I just noticed it tonite as I was heading into town so don't know anything about the menu, quality, or prices. I hope the place is worthy on all the above as I sorely miss the old RT, which was one of my favs on the Darkside.

is this on nung plab wan before the bridge near the riverside pub?

on another note a new German restaurant has opened further up your road

on the left in the shop houses before the school

seemed busy as i past this evening

It's opposite the 89 baht carwash place if you know where that is...about a half kilo up from wat sutawas in NPW.

That German place been there awhile...not tried as yet as not big fan of German food and many Swiss places in the neighborhood.

That German Restaurant is Hans Schnitzel and it is a good meal at reasonable price. Also went to another German Restaurant on Soi 9 off Soi Khao Noi, Max and Moritz and it is a very good meal. Lunch special on Sunday, huge Schnitzel for 140 bht, good service, friendly and air con or outside dining, made a post earlier about it.