The Dark Side

paul1970

Just was told that Ticino is counting down to its annual leave. :)

Maybe the boys are right to close down for the entire month of June; apparently they come up with a new menu in July. I also found Peter's theme night concept quite appaling, one weeknight this range is discounted, next night another. I'll be there for a bidding farewell drink coming Monday; then it's a long month without good food from Italy. Well, they will survive basically anything the way they work!

Just was told that Ticino is counting down to its annual leave. :D

Maybe the boys are right to close down for the entire month of June; apparently they come up with a new menu in July. I also found Peter's theme night concept quite appaling, one weeknight this range is discounted, next night another. I'll be there for a bidding farewell drink coming Monday; then it's a long month without good food from Italy. Well, they will survive basically anything the way they work!

Appaling? Is that appalling or appealing? :)

Just was told that Ticino is counting down to its annual leave. :D

Appaling? Is that appalling or appealing? :)

I'm voting for "appealing." Actually, these are discount nites...Weds is 20% of all pasta dishes, Thurs. is pizza discount nite, and there were having risotto specials on Sundays.

Nice for the heads up on the vacation closure...will have to get there a couple times this week :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sport World previously Cafe Uno Soi Khao Talo

Is a restaurant, the menu as thick as half a telephone book, mainly English and Thai food and some Indian and German dishes, also possibility to have pizzas.

Happy Hour from 4 till 7 p.m. A pint of Heineken or Tiger at 59 ThB.

• 2 weeks later...

^ World of sport has the same menu as it's Naklua branch, basically mainly English with a few Indian, Mexican and Thai dishes thrown in.

Tried it once and the quality is not up to it's Naklua's branch yet, in fact the meal I had was pretty bad. Fish and chips, the fish was burnt and the chips where oozing oil. Plenty of room for improvement.

A closure to report of on Soi Khao Noi, The Great rolleyes.gif British Fish and Chip shop has closed it's doors, not such a great loss though bah.gif

I think world of sport is going to struggle. Especially with all the good 'cheap' bars nearby, and restaurants.

The Great British Chip Shop - only went there once at that was enough! I had sausauge and chips with curry sauce. They gave me the hot curry sauce 15 mins before the rest of the food was cooked!!

New place on Soi Siam Country Club, "Oscar's" is the name, seems to be a nice place, with a swimming pool, where you can relax, have a drink and a Thai or "Farang" meal.

A few meters over Kiss Restaurant, same side, coming from Sukhumvit.

my pal and i, went to a new place on Soi Nungplabwan yesterday

its opposite the Pussycat bar on the corner and in a single shophouse

its called the Elephant & Cock

its a restaurant/ bar with inside and outside tables seperated by a sliding door

inside is cool with aircon, outside has fans

the service was good

we both had had fish, chips and mushy peas

it was excellent, a nice piece of lightly battered fish, good quality chips and a sizeable portion on mushy peas

i think the cost was 155 baht

i highly recommend it highly to other Darksiders

i will be going again

When the Cholanda Coffee House closed down it was a sad day indeed. The lovely family that ran it, said they were off to BK for the husband's work and the wife may open another Coffee Shop in the city. Anyone know if this happened? If it did, where the new place may be ?

my pal and i, went to a new place on Soi Nungplabwan yesterday

its opposite the Pussycat bar on the corner and in a single shophouse

its called the Elephant & Cock

its a restaurant/ bar with inside and outside tables seperated by a sliding door

inside is cool with aircon, outside has fans

the service was good

we both had had fish, chips and mushy peas

it was excellent, a nice piece of lightly battered fish, good quality chips and a sizeable portion on mushy peas

i think the cost was 155 baht

i highly recommend it highly to other Darksiders

i will be going again

and i did go again, today i took my mother for late lunch

they were very welcoming and she had great fish and chips

she liked it, resulting in a happy son and five brownie points..........

• 1 month later...

Well for what its worth here is my thoughts on Chill Bar - if service is actually part of your expectation then unless you are a recognized regular I suggest you try somewhere else on the dark side to eat/drink.

I dropped by tonight and ordered a drink and some food then sat and waited, and waited, and waited for my food - at the same time watching as regulars ordered well after me and were served - well before I gave up and just gave them the money and left. The real kicker was when they told me after serving another regular that arrived after me to "wait tilac the microwave not work good tonight" <_<

That was it - paid the whole bill - not sure why - and left.

I want to happily report some major, and very positive, changes to the menu at The Courtyard. Over their holiday, from Jan 1 - 13, they have added several items to both the western and Thai menus.

The John Dory fish, which had been a "special", is now a standard item. Salmon has been added, as well, for seafood lovers like me. They now have 3 different spaghetti dishes; w/meatballs, ham and mushroom, and seafood. I had the seafood today, and it was all I could do to finish it. Plenty of spaghetti, with a lot of tomato sauce (as I like it), 6 large shrimp, several large pieces of squid, and 2 huge New Zealand mussels. Comes with a small salad (excellent house dressing of olive oil, wine vinegar, and spices); and 2 pieces of garlic bread. Definitely worth the 220 price, IMO. There are other new western items, which I'll leave to you to discover.

There's are new curry items on the Thai food menu, as well as other things; and there's a full page of Thai vegetarian dishes, all cooked in healthy sunflower oil, not palm oil. I brought a couple of those veggie dishes home to my wife today, and she (a SUPER FUSSY eater), gave them a solid rating.

And, by the way, if you haven't tried the breakfast there, you should. I suggest that you order the 1/2 size. The full breakfast is too much for most people to eat. That 1/2 size is only 100 baht, and a great value. (Not early breakfast, however. They open at 11.)

Major upgrade for this steadily improving venue; which is now my #1 here on the Darkside. Not that I'll stop visiting Chonlada, Dao Cafe, Cafe Uno, Deli Bean, Rungthip, Rung's, Chester's, Maneke Pis, or the tiny Chill Bar. They are all good places, and some of them have certain "best in class" items, as most here know. But, with The Courtyard just 1 km from my house, it's definitely now my most frequent lunch stop.

I think they get the food from the shop across the road. Was there with a friend not long ago. He had the F&C and was not impressed.

Otherwise a nice enough bar, plenty of talent. Only downside is they allow smoking inside and sometimes it gets really thick with smoke!

I think they get the food from the shop across the road. Was there with a friend not long ago. He had the F&C and was not impressed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No, they have an own cook( English) now, the kitchen is upstairs and they will open an eat-place soon there as well.

Some great new posts, especially the Ref Palm recco...can't wait to try it. However. I always have a laugh re the comments on sullen owners. Who cares I go to rrstos to eat not gab with the cook or owner. Unless they are downright rude, just tell us about the food and location plrssr.

Some great new posts, especially the Ref Palm recco...can't wait to try it. However. I always have a laugh re the comments on sullen owners. Who cares I go to rrstos to eat not gab with the cook or owner. Unless they are downright rude, just tell us about the food and location plrssr.

Fair enough, point taken. I own a bar and restaurant in Bangers so perhaps I see it from a different point of view, but generally staff attitude matters to me so I thought i'd include it....

Anyway, I promise not to do it again...:whistling:

Tom.

The attitude and standards of the service staff are definitely important to one's dining experience and surely worth a mention good or bad; and in many of the small Darkside restos this may very well be the owner or his wife/GF. But in general, icomments like "the owner was sitting in a corner and didn't come over and say hello" or "the owner was sitting with a group of his mates and didn't come sit at my table too [and stroke my ego] so I'm knocking the place down a notch" that I find uninformative.

Like I said, I go to restos to eat good food in a comfortable environment. I couldn't care less if the owner was the biggest a-hole in the world (as long as not directed at the customers) if his resto serves good food at fair prices with pleasant service staff. In fact, I like to be left alone when I eat and proprietors that are too chatty will often put me off from returning to their place...but that's just me...many people do seem to like a more social environment when they eat as they often add comments about how friendly the owners are.

^^

It costs nothing to be polite, a simple "Hello" by the owner makes me happy, beside the good food.

And sometimes being kind is keeping an unhappy customer from moving on to the competition.

Edited by luckyluke

Two very different things, going out for food or for a beer.

When going out for food I prefer to be left alone.

When going out for a beer, I only go to places where I'm friendly with the owner(s).

A couple nights ago I tried World of Sport and I had the Fish & Chips too. My experience was much the same as yours, and it's been two months since your post. I timed it. I waited a full 40 minutes for my order to be served. There was only one other couple in the restaurant and when I arrived they had already been served and were eating. My chips were ok, but my fish was also burnt and very over-cooked. I can honestly say it was the worst I ever had. Not exactly an inspiration to return any time soon. They need to get a cook who knows how to cook. The one they presently have is terrible and in all seriousness, unless they get a competent cook or train who they have, I can't see this restaurant succeeding. I was very disappointed because I've been to the one in Naklua and the food there is wonderful. The one here is precisely the opposite - just terrible. Who wants to wait 40 minutes for burnt, over-cooked fish?

^ World of sport has the same menu as it's Naklua branch, basically mainly English with a few Indian, Mexican and Thai dishes thrown in.

Tried it once and the quality is not up to it's Naklua's branch yet, in fact the meal I had was pretty bad. Fish and chips, the fish was burnt and the chips where oozing oil. Plenty of room for improvement.

Edited by santol

New place on Soi Siam Country Club, "Oscar's" is the name, seems to be a nice place, with a swimming pool, where you can relax, have a drink and a Thai or "Farang" meal.

Going to second this, Oscars for me is one of the best places on the Darkside to eat. Prices are currently well below what they should be for a restaurant with this level of quality fixtures and fittings, from what I can make out it's due to some kind of price match policy with Kiss Restaurant just down the road. I suspect in time they will put the prices up, but for now it's a bargain.

The woman I speak to in there Khun Da/Daa(?), the restaurant is named after her young son, Oscar. I think her father is the main guy around the place although he seems to keep himself to a group of regulars and not interact with other customers so much, but Da's a nice girl to talk to (lived in the UK for many years, speaks perfect English) so no worries there.

Worth a look.

Gave it a try today,popped in for a quick snack (lunch time), lovely little place but very disappointed, the girl serving me did not speak English, the Heineken beer was cool, not cold, did offer ice but that to me is not what I want, Sausage sandwich was sliced Thai sausage in small toasted white bread with side salad with sweet mayo over it. Not my cup of tea as falang food goes but reasonably price if you like that sort of thing. wont go back!

Otherwise a nice enough bar, plenty of talent. Only downside is they allow smoking inside and sometimes it gets really thick with smoke!

Was called by a few mates to go for breakfast in the Pussycat Bar yesterday, didn't go with high hopes but I must say pleasantly surprised.

Only had the 99 baht brekkie, now normally when I see 99 baht breakfast being advertised I run a mile as normally you know it will be crap but this was a very good value for money good quality breakfast.

2 eggs sausage bacon beans (not crappy thai sweet beans) toast and fried bread made with good bread and not 7/11 rubbish, all good quality ingredients.

The food is made on the premises as I met the farang cook yesterday and complemented him on the good quality ingredients for the price.

Not an ideal eating environment but I will definitely go back at least for breakfast and hopefully the rest of the menu items are to the same quality.

Oscars for me is one of the best places on the Darkside to eat.

I gave Oscar's a try for dinner. I ordered the fish and chips because I'm looking for really good fish and chips on The Dark Side, but have yet to find anything I would consider really good.. I thought the fish and chips at Oscar's was much better than most I've found, but not for dinner. The portion is too small for dinner. It was good, but I left the restaurant still hungry. Also, the menu says it comes with a salad. I was hoping for a good salad, served separately with a choice of dressings. What I received was a small mound of shredded cabbage, served on the same plate with the fish and chips, and no dressing at all. The chips were ok - not greasy. The fish tasted fresh and also was not greasy.

Khun Daa came over to my table and introduced herself. Yes, her English is near fluent.

I will go back, but only for lunch. For me, the portions are just not enough for dinner.

Edited by santol

Route C.C./ RoadHouse Soi siam country club, has great food & take - a -way Pizzas real value for money try a slice 1st every wednesday evening 6pm to 9pm free pizza slices, plus there free buffet every sunday 2pm always crowded as the food is all cooked fresh there, good menu Thai or european with a pub atmosphere

Not 100% Darkside related :

The "Coffee & Beer" near the Government Bank in Soi Khao Talo will shortly open a new premises on South Pattaya Road, this time next to the "Bank of Ayudhya", two steps from "Friendship".

I wonder if they will apply the same prices as at Soi Khao Noi.

Also - had food at the Red Palm Mexican bistro place on Khao Talo last night.

However, best Mexican food I have ever had - it was superb. Portions were ridiculosly big, couldn't finish half of it and would have prefered to pay a less and get a bit less, but with quality like that not bothered.

I tried Red Palm this evening and I completely agree. It is excellent! I couldn't finish mine either. When I was there no other customers were in the restaurant and the only staff were the two Thai ladies who do the cooking, both of whom are very friendly and someone has trained them very well in Mexican cooking. The sports screens were on, but the volume was off, so there were no loud distractions.

If you enjoy good Mexican food, I highly recommend trying Red Palm. I certainly will be back. I used to go all the way to Jomtien to eat at Mike's Mexican and once in awhile Tequila Reef when I wanted that kind of food. No more! Sorry Mike's and Tequila, but after having tried Red Palm, whenever I want Mexican, that's where I'll be eating.

They also have a Thai food menu and they can make your food "take away" if you wish.

Edited by santol

Also - had food at the Red Palm Mexican bistro place on Khao Talo last night.

However, best Mexican food I have ever had - it was superb. Portions were ridiculosly big, couldn't finish half of it and would have prefered to pay a less and get a bit less, but with quality like that not bothered.

I tried Red Palm this evening and I completely agree. It is excellent! I couldn't finish mine either. When I was there no other customers were in the restaurant and the only staff were the two Thai ladies who do the cooking, both of whom are very friendly and someone has trained them very well in Mexican cooking. The sports screens were on, but the volume was off, so there were no loud distractions.

If you enjoy good Mexican food, I highly recommend trying Red Palm. I certainly will be back. I used to go all the way to Jomtien to eat at Mike's Mexican and once in awhile Tequila Reef when I wanted that kind of food. No more! Sorry Mike's and Tequila, but after having tried Red Palm, whenever I want Mexican, that's where I'll be eating.

They also have a Thai food menu and they can make your food "take away" if you wish.

I love a good Mexican feed so will have to give this place a try. However, the few times I have driven by the place, it looks dead...if the place is a good as reported, I hope he is getting enough custom to keep the place open (or maybe I just going by at the wrong times).