The Dark Side

paul1970

Cafe Uno sold? I saw it coming, it never created the revenue it deserved. The food was outstanding and good value for money!

Uno is not closing due to a lack of revenue, Craig has landed a camp boss gig out on the offshore rigs, he has sold Uno as he feels it will be too overwhelming for his missus to run, creating an unwanted headache every time he returns to shore.

Speaking of...what happened to Noi's Bar? I haven't been out for a while. Hope they are still around...

Noi's is still open, for how long .... time will tell.

Edited by Spoonman

reminds me of Khun John's...they have this guitar player who haven't learned in all those years of torturing the instrument how to tune it half way right. His technical abilities are a tad below beginner level as well.

That's what turns us away too. As well as the overpriced food.

I'm not sure i'd drink draught beer in a bar or restaurant that quiet, I wouldn't trust the lines. 80 baht a pint is cheap enough to almost tempt me though...

Is that singer on every night?

Unfortunately it would appear he is there most nights! :)

Ive never had a problem with the draught tiger though, always spot on!

reminds me of Khun John's...they have this guitar player who haven't learned in all those years of torturing the instrument how to tune it half way right. His technical abilities are a tad below beginner level as well.

The setting is great and the food is decent but it's the swarms of flies that puts me off.

I'm not sure i'd drink draught beer in a bar or restaurant that quiet, I wouldn't trust the lines. 80 baht a pint is cheap enough to almost tempt me though...

Is that singer on every night?

Unfortunately it would appear he is there most nights! :)

Ive never had a problem with the draught tiger though, always spot on!

The setting is great and the food is decent but it's the swarms of flies that puts me off.

...another good reason not to go there...forgot about this. The setting is great until the moment this guy with his guitar shows up. Drawing him into quarters is to lenient for this guy.

Just started reading this thread..... so many posts, and its been running for two years

interesting to see that some restaurants are now closed, some have gone downhill, but there are still some very good ones.

Has the map been updated recently?

Just started reading this thread..... so many posts, and its been running for two years

interesting to see that some restaurants are now closed, some have gone downhill, but there are still some very good ones.

Has the map been updated recently?

Glad you are enjoying it...there is lots of useful information in it. And it is kept very up to date by us East Pattayans...most recent pin on the map is for the Indian Nan & Curry restaurant we have recently discovered on soi NPW - it was placed on the map a couple weeks ago (scroll back a couple pages to find it and the reviews) :)

Edited by FarangBuddha

went in with a friend of mine around 6;30ish, one falang sat on his own at the first bar as you walk in on the right, we sat at the other bar and was given strange tasting draft Heineken(I think).Spoke to the very friendly female manager that it tasted off and she told the owner who was playing pool. He was not interested, did not taste it or even smell it. So we politely paid and said thanks, but no thanks, and left. There is no way in hel_l will either of us will go back there as long as he owns the gaff. We were both looking for this type of place to go to.

Darkside could do with a good sportsbar though, and that place could be it if they got it together. Looks like it's a word in the owners ear that needs to happen, not the managemnt as I said in the previous post...

The now closed Cafe Uno will be re-opening as a sports bar in the next few weeks.

Noted from the posts above, and look forward to seeing it. But isn't it supposed to be quite small?

Nothing against small bars but sports bars tend to need allot of people in them to get a good atmosphere going...

Yes Cafe Uno is tiny...the perfect size for a cafe but would be pathetically small for a typical farang-sized "sports-bar." Probably will be just some farang who puts in a TV or two and a dartboard and walla...you have a "sports-bar." I doubt you could even fit in a standard size pool table.

As to the White Horse, it looks to be a part of that Eastern Star Hotel operation and I would guess the hotel is market to Thai/Asian group tours that stay there (as a hotel its size is sorta outa place at that location) and their tour packages probably include a "Western pub-nite" experience so therefore some Thai's idea of what such a pub should be like. Of course, it's all arse-backward...like the heavy metal music the evening I was there (and the instant coffee too). :)

Edited by FarangBuddha

Wasn't the recently-closed "Brazilia" bar designated as a sports bar?

yeah the brazillia bar was good, shame it closed. Too much tea money is what I heard??

Good for the plod...we don't need so many such venues in East Pattaya...plenty of strumpets on the other side of Sukhumvit if that's your thing.

Tried the 'NEW INN" again today on soi khatolo, friendly staff, new managementt, English guy named Tom who's trying to get the place working again. Tried the food a couple of times and had no complaints...worth trying, to help the guy get off the ground and start providing a quality pub environment for those who want it. my 2 pence worth.

yeah the brazillia bar was good, shame it closed. Too much tea money is what I heard??

tea money? hah, riiight. how about, no one ever went there and the *building* is nothing more than a *building*. 4 walls and a bunch of tables isn't going to make anyone want to come back. food was good, beers were cold and the girls were as good as any darkside affair, but it has zero ambiance. now throw in the fact that no one was ever there.

tea money? no. not making enough money to pay the same tea money that everyone else is paying for? probably.

Edited by anothertorres

Good for the plod...we don't need so many such venues in East Pattaya...plenty of strumpets on the other side of Sukhumvit if that's your thing.

you're funny. what's a strumpet? and who are the plod?

tea money? hah, riiight. how about, no one ever went there and the *building* is nothing more than a *building*. 4 walls and a bunch of tables isn't going to make anyone want to come back. food was good, beers were cold and the girls were as good as any darkside affair, but it has zero ambiance. now throw in the fact that no one was ever there.

tea money? no. not making enough money to pay the same tea money that everyone else is paying for? probably.

40K a month

Is that the norm??

you're funny. what's a strumpet? and who are the plod?

Please do not need to feed the trolls, guys :)

40K a month

Is that the norm??

beats the shit out of me. but if he was paying 40k/month, i have to laugh...

• 2 weeks later...

Just drove by the old Cafe Uno (which was sold a week or so ago) to find that there are signs up saying "World of Sport". Looks like the owners of "World of Sport" in Naklua, who I know where Uno regulars have bought it and will trun it into another branch of their "World of Sport" restaurant.

Having eaten a few times at "World of Sport" I'm hoping that the food and menu will be the same, which is good quality British food. Not sure when it's due to open but from the signage that was going up today I would suggest it will be open for business quite soon.

Should be another good addition to the Darkside.