The Dark Side

paul1970

Having said that I am probably in the minority of people willing to pay a premium for an outstanding Sunday lunch - as I say I have never yet found it in Thailand.

Digger,I heard a rumour that Manhattans are about to start/have started doing a Sunday roast for around 6 or 7 hundred baht.

If I was going into town for a roast I would still go to the Sportsman's, Soi 13, but it'll be interesting to see if the food is better at Manhattans

I agree with Sportsmans on Soi 13, if ever I'm in town on a Sunday then that is the best place for a roast.

Don't think I will be trying Manhattans though, went there a few months back with the missus, 3000 baht for 2 which I don't mind as long as the food is good quality but it was absoloute <deleted>, for that money I would have expected a perfectly aged tender steak, what I had was like old leather. Much better steaks for a lot less money to be had in other places around Pattaya.

That is really good to hear and I am so pleased you enjoyed your lunch. I am a part owner (financial) of Cafe Uno and I can confirm that my business owner/Chef/Boss aka Craig does make the burgers himself and that the chips are hand cut and deep fried from fresh.

Thanks for the picture, I hope you don't mind if I use it for reference?

I hope your next visit will be just as promising!

(BTW, his homemade pizzas are very good indeed, well, if you like them thin and crispy that is)

Lee

That burger looks great, Lee! I'll definitely pass on the thin & crispy pizza. I'm a "Medium, soft crust" kinda guy. Each to his own on pizza crust.

But I'm going to drop if very soon, perhaps even tomorrow, to try one of those cheeseburgers. I'm a big fan of the burgers served at "Rung's". But, as I've mentioned before, I hate driving on Nern Plub Warn. Khao Noi (well, at least before they started tearing it up AGAIN!) is a much better drive for my blood pressure. So, if Craig's burger is even close to the "Rung's" version, I'll be a regular at Cafe Uno for that item, at least.

A insight into Cafe Uno's Menu...Craig cooks to order so any preference can normally be dealt with.

WOW! Lee, that menu is really nothing short of spectacular, as compared to anything available here on the Darkside. Tremendous variety, and a very tempting assortment of, shall we say, more "exotic" dishes than can be found in most places.

I'll be there for lunch tomorrow! The problem now is going to be selectiing what to try first!

OH, one initial constructive criticism. I am married to a Thai woman who is nearly completely vegetarian. The Thai menu looks to be very limited. Any change that it will expand; and include some good vegetarian dishes - cooked in soi or corn oil, NOT the "heart attack" palm oil used by most Thai cooks here?

I am sorry you had a 'poor' experience at Cafe Uno...Yes, there is only one meat available per Sunday which changes from Pork with Sage, Chicken, Lamb with Rosemary and Roast Beef. We are all about having a homely feel and a 'fresh from the oven' service. Right now, as well as only having one meat per week, we only have one sitting also, from 2pm till the food is sold out...So thank god you didn't turn up after 4pm when it was all gone.

Cafe Uno has only officially been open a mere couple of weeks and your visit was on a particularly busy day serving near on 20 covers within a period of an hour and a half. As with a new venture, you have new staff and Cafe Uno decided to take on our partners as apposed to 'trained' waitresses, this in the short term has been our let down but in the long term will definately be the right decision. Please bear with.

I am disappointed that you didn't enjoy your Rhubard pie and custard, purely on the basis that it is one of our better sellers which normally go down a treat and are usually packed with Rhubarb (personally my favorite). Chef will also be disappointed to hear that his homemade vanilla custard was looked upon as a milky liquid, again a favorite amoungst many.

However, I am pleased that you enjoyed the size of the portion and I note you didn't comment negatively on the meal itself which I hope we can take as a compliment, I know I certainly enjoyed mine.

I do take on board your comments and I WILL pass them on to my business partner who runs the kitchen...If you choose never to return, that will be unfortunate as it won't give us the opportunity to show how we have ammended our 'poor' service and pastry pies'.

I do hope we do get the chance to make things right.

Lee

Hey, Lee! I didn't know that you're a partner in Cafe Uno. Based upon my knowledge of your dedication to running a good place, with good service (based upon my all too few experiences at Noi's), I will make it a point to stop in to check out the menu at Cafe Uno. What are the hours of operation there during the week? What are the most popular items on the "regular" menu?

For my sins yes, I must have done something really wrong in a past life, lol! and yes, I am completely dedicated to good service and it is a major bug bear when I personally don't receive it, so I fully understand the gentlemans comments on Cafe Uno's service at this moment in time, though he did join us on our achillies heel day when we have 20-25 people all at one sitting and only 2 service staff...Something that will be rectified as soon as our 'lady partners' figure out what they are doing :o We are working feverishly to make things right as fast as we can but you know as well as I do, that things never go according to plan...We will get there, that is for sure. (fingers crossed)

Hours are 10am-10pm closed Tuesdays.

The most popular items at this moment in time are Panini baked sandwiches, handmade pizzas, Burgers, homemade chips, Irish stew and the spaghetti carbonara are all very popular.

All Craigs dishes are homemade which sometimes means you will wait that little longer to receive your meal but when you do, you know know you only have one person to thank or blame :D

I don't know if I am allowed to post a copy of the menu but I'll post one in a short while

Fair response I would say from Kolobos, so much so that I would be happy to visit Cafe Uno and give it a try.

Thank you Sommaz, I hope your visit will be a happier one than imaneggspurt's :D

After reading Lees comments ," ILL BE BACK " :D ,ps, any chance of some brussels ? Edited by imaneggspurt

That burger looks great, Lee! I'll definitely pass on the thin & crispy pizza. I'm a "Medium, soft crust" kinda guy. Each to his own on pizza crust.

But I'm going to drop if very soon, perhaps even tomorrow, to try one of those cheeseburgers. I'm a big fan of the burgers served at "Rung's". But, as I've mentioned before, I hate driving on Nern Plub Warn. Khao Noi (well, at least before they started tearing it up AGAIN!) is a much better drive for my blood pressure. So, if Craig's burger is even close to the "Rung's" version, I'll be a regular at Cafe Uno for that item, at least.

Well, change of plans. My wife had to do some business at a place on Khao Noi tonight, so I talked her into trying 'Cafe Uno' for dinner with me.

I am a fan!

I had the Chicken Cordon Bleu. My wife requested two Thai items not listed on the menu (Yum Woon Sen and Tom Yum Koong). Every dish was very good.

I spoke with Craig, who is a very pleasant and gracious host, as well as an excellent chef.

I'll be back on another day to try the cheeseburger. But there are a number of other items on that large and diverse menu that I'll be trying on many repeat visits.

This place gets a strong recommendation from me now; and will only get better, with added experience for the staff, and expansion of the menu by Craig as business grows.

Parking can, of course, be difficult during peak hours for those of us with 4-wheeled vehicles. But that's no fault of Craig's. It is what it is.

I eat at cafe uno quite regularly and I've yet to have a bad dish there, I can thoroughly recommend the burgers, panini's are great and he also does some great tasty Indian dishes.

Cafe uno is a very good addition to the Darkside.

I have a suggestion that I think will help both the guys here on the Darkside, and the "Cafe Uno", which, as I reported yesterday, is a great new restaurant choice that is now permanently on my list of "regulars".

Can we move this thread to the thread titled "The Darkside"? That thread has been active and successful for several months now; and has proven to be be a great source of information for all of us; and a great "unsolicited advertisement" for many of the good restaurants here on the "civilized side" of Sukumvit! :-)

I FINALLY got around to driving down to the 'Outback', which is about 2+ kms east of Nongprue Road, on Soi Siam CC. It will definitely not be my last visit there. In fact, it will more than likely be a weekly stop, along with my "walking distance" favorite, 'The Courtyard'.

The menu at 'Outback' looks great. At present, I can only vouch for the item I had today, the 'Outback Moodallions'. It was 4 nice, 2" medallions of quality pork (choice of mushroom or pepper sauce, I chose pepper this time), along with potatoes (chips or mash, I chose mash) and mixed veggies. At 185 baht, I thought it a good value, and a very tasty meal.

Just as important, for me, is that it's a pleasant place, with friendly ownership and clientele. I very much enjoyed my afternoon there, on both levels.

The fact is, I'm going to have trouble visiting the 3 places I've now found here for lunch as often as I'd like to, simply because there are 3 of them. Those 3, for the record, and in no particular order of preference, are: The Courtyard, Cafe Uno, and Outback. I highly recommend all 3. Having only visited the latter two only once, to date, I can't suggest a "favorite item", or "best in class" for them. At The Courtyard, I certainly have very high marks for their near legendary Sunday roast choices; as well as a very good burger, a "developing" American hot dog; a nice Scotch broth; an excellent Greek salad; and a most enjoyable grilled pork chop. I'm sure I'll have more to recommend at Cafe Uno and Outback once I've visited them a few more times. Of course, I must add that I also remain a fan of Rung Thip Restaurant, here at the east end of Nern Plub Warn, for dinner, as well as lunch.

We are very lucky here on the Darkside, guys. We have a very solid variety of restaurants from which to choose, without exposing ourselves to the dangers and discomfort of the traffic "over there". :-)

Tonight, my wife and I will be having our first dinner at 'Watsana Restaurant', which is located about 1 km east of the RR tracks, in a quiet moo baan, off the left side of road. It's just about opposite the Esso station, and just before you reach the green "Holiday" restaurant sign on the left. Very nice couple, Dave and Watsana, run the place, which is a small "addition" to the side of their house. The swimming pool and garden atmosphere make it a very pleasant venue; and the personal touch added by Dave and Watsana makes it a very comfortable experience. I've only eaten one lunch there. My wife and I stopped in for a "get aquainted" visit a few days ago; and tonight's dinner is evidence of my wife's reaction to the hosts. Report will follow tomorrow.

I can't stand buffet or all you can eat Sunday lunches and just want someone to prepare a decent one plate meal. Whilst I will pay whatever for quality, I know from being in business that you have to cater for the masses and unfortunately in Pattaya that means cheap. Just a fact, sad but true.

Tried the courtyard today again after seeing so many positive posts but can say NOT IMPRESSED!!!.

Starter. soup starter was veggies in clear water and bland.

The beef was very good, 6 thin slices!

the yorkie pudding was passable, veggies bland tasteless and watery, potatoes!!!!not sure about them, they could have been boiled but dirty looking or roasted and forgot to put oil on...very strange.

Was really looking forward to it but left half of it, and after not enjoying one meal out of three, I will not return! will try cafe uno next time!!

Can we move this thread to the thread titled "The Darkside"? That thread has been active and successful for several months now; and has proven to be be a great source of information for all of us; and a great "unsolicited advertisement" for many of the good restaurants here on the "civilized side" of Sukumvit! :-)

Done

Tried the courtyard today again after seeing so many positive posts but can say NOT IMPRESSED!!!.

Starter. soup starter was veggies in clear water and bland.

The beef was very good, 6 thin slices!

the yorkie pudding was passable, veggies bland tasteless and watery, potatoes!!!!not sure about them, they could have been boiled but dirty looking or roasted and forgot to put oil on...very strange.

Was really looking forward to it but left half of it, and after not enjoying one meal out of three, I will not return! will try cafe uno next time!!

As I have said here many times before, there is no "right or wrong" in taste for food. So 'lemel' is certainly entitled to the interpretation of his own taste buds. However, I must strongly disagree with everything he said about the roast dinner at The Courtyard.

I believe that he was actually there at the same time that I was, entering after I was already seated at the bar. The reason I make the connection is that he left when I was only about half finished with the roast chicken dinner that I had, and that surprised me. I didn't notice that he hadn't finished the meal, and was just thinking; "Wow, that guy is really a fast eater."

As to the specifics, I have enjoyed the chicken, beef, and pork roast dinners a total of 6 times now; and always enjoy every item served. The soup is far from bland, with a nice mix of veggies, and small chunks of ham. The broth has plenty of flavor. The same is true for the potatoes ("forgot to add oil"? -BLAGHH! Who in the world would soak roasted potatoes in OIL?!!). The "dirt" was, I'm sure, the result of the basting with the juice from the beef! The veggie mix includes brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, shell peas, carrots, onions, and baby brussels sprouts. It is, it seems to me, a literal impossibility for such a variety of veggies to be "bland, tasteless, and watery".

Again, each to his own taste and opinion when it comes to food. But I have to say, 'lemel', that your opinion is as far from my opinion, and that of every poster that I recall seeing make comments about The Courtyard roast dinners, as it is possible to be. Perhaps there was a "tastebud problem" of some kind for you today. I don't know. If not, then I suspect that you have very different preferences in food than do most people. And you are certainly entitled to them.

But I do suggest that anyone for whom 'lemel's' reveiw was their first exposure to a review of The Courtyard Sunday roast, take a few moments to read back in the thread for a few more opinions, before placing any credence in the comments from 'lemel'. Better yet, try one for yourself next week, and let your own taste buds make the decision. :o

By the way, the chicken used for the roast chicken dinner is now a small whole chicken, rather than the 1/2 chicken used before. It's about the size of cornish hen; and is stuffed with the great dressing that Nongyao makes. Of course, there is a lot more of that dressing outside the chicken as well. She marinates them overnight, and this makes the chicken very moist and flavorful. Note, however, that she only prepares 4 of them per week, to avoid waste. So, if you want one, it's best to either drop by and pre-order on Friday or Saturday; or arrive early (12:30 or so) on Sunday to maximize your chance of getting one.

The same is true for the potatoes ("forgot to add oil"? -BLAGHH! Who in the world would soak roasted potatoes in OIL?!!). The "dirt" was, I'm sure, the result of the basting with the juice from the beef!

Correctly cooked British roast potatoes are actually basted in oil/fat after being boiled for approx: 10 minutes. The oil could vary depending upon what the chef prefers but many use olive oil now due to its health benefits - however your not likely to find a place charging 300b for a meal using olive oil as its so expensive. They are not drowned in oil (or at least should be done that way) however the purpose of the oil is to make the potato crispy on the outside. Unfortunately the Courtyard roast potatoes are by British standards pretty bland but its still probably one of the best I have had in Pattaya - no means excellent but certainly up with the best but thats actually not coming from a very good base.

LOL!!!!!! are you sure you do not have anything to do with this place????

I had beef not chicken, there was no ham in my soup, let me know how you then, make the perfect roast potatoes because what I had today was not them!! and as you said we are all entitled to our opinion and if you believe that the food dished out today was so good then I must agree there is something wrong with my taste buds and one thing is for sure we will not bump into each other again if we have such different views.

If you read my post it says that I tried it again, as this is the 3rd time that I/we have eaten there, but the first 2 times was when it first open so I wanted to give it a another chance. I will not be trying this place again.

I would recommend people try it for themselves as that is the only true way of telling, if they like a place or not.

Based on this thread, I went to Sure Park Steak House with the family last night.

I was pleasantly surprised by the layout and decor. A lovely open restaurant with a large pond in the middle and a live band.

Service was very good and the food delicious. I had steak, the mrs had smoked salmon and the little un had a salmon steak.

Lots of veggies and salad were included as well as choice of potato.

3 beers, a couple of soft drinks and large barcardi/coke.

Total bin was 1300 baht which I thought was reasonable considering the quality and the atmosphere.

Highly recommended.

Cheers!

HoJo

I fianlly tried Cholada's coffee shop for breakfast on Siam Country club road, after a session down the road at the driving range.

Pleasant place, charming service, but......

For a place whose menu is clearly focussed on breakfast, I was astonished when the little lady came back to my table, after taking my order, to apologise:

"I'm sorry sir..... we've run out of bacon ... can we provide you with an extra sausage instead?

So I had the extra sausage, and the breakfast was fine.....

....But no bacon :D

A breakfast place with no bacon :o

You would have thought they would ensure sufficient stocks.

TIT I guess. :D

I would agree that poaching of staff, either underhand or in the open is not going to win you any friends and may well make you a few enemies. It does happen regularly but you have to nip it in the bud one way or another because people think you are a soft touch and you can't have that.

On the other hand, if you develop a relationship with people in your area and not just in the same trade, then you can pick up staff and also offer opportunities to some of yours, who for one reason or another, are not suited to your business model. For example, girls who want a lot of barfines do not work well in a restaurant environment and vice versa. Girls who rely on tips are perhaps better suited to a different type of position. If it works both ways, then it can be ok. If some bastard steals your girls then maybe you have to feed his willy to the ducks (or other suitable punishment) !

I fianlly tried Cholada's coffee shop for breakfast on Siam Country club road, after a session down the road at the driving range.

Pleasant place, charming service, but......

For a place whose menu is clearly focussed on breakfast, I was astonished when the little lady came back to my table, after taking my order, to apologise:

"I'm sorry sir..... we've run out of bacon ... can we provide you with an extra sausage instead?

So I had the extra sausage, and the breakfast was fine.....

....But no bacon :D

You would have thought they would ensure sufficient stocks.

TIT I guess. :D

of all items to be out of, bacon has to be the most upsetting for sure. my only complaint with Chonlada since i've been going there is the music. i'm gonna have to burn them a better farang mix. the john denver is excruciatingly painful.

of all items to be out of, bacon has to be the most upsetting for sure. my only complaint with Chonlada since i've been going there is the music. i'm gonna have to burn them a better farang mix. the john denver is excruciatingly painful.

Well, all I can say about the bacon is that, to my knowledge, this hasn't happened before. It is, without question, a serious error for a (primarily) breakfast venue.

As to the music, this is a criticism that's way out of line. Music is a matter of personal taste. The fact that you don't like John Denver doesn't make it bad music. Personally, I would walk out of a place that played rap (which is NOT music), or anything even vaguely resembling heavy metal or hard rock. That's my personal choice. While I certainly have favorites, almost anything else is within my range of tolerance, and not something I'd ever complain about. (Volume could be a reasonable issue, IMO; but not choice of artists.)

it's the early bird that gets the bacon, Moby... :D

anyways...we tried the new coffee shop at the corner with the blinking lights at SSCC, on the way to Soi Nern Plub Wan. It's called Coffee Mika or something like that.

The coffee is great and they have a huge, highly professional coffee maker that would be better placed in a 5-star hotel than in an around the corner coffee shop.

Disappointing is the food selection. It comes down to Thais trying to imitate farang breakfast. Two nitrite coloured deep fried sausages served with a fried egg...I opted for the waffle but mod leaow...the puffy pies contain fillings that do not belong in puffy pies: nitrite coloured sausages, the square 7-11 ham, chicken, etc...

Well, all I can say about the bacon is that, to my knowledge, this hasn't happened before. It is, without question, a serious error for a (primarily) breakfast venue.

As to the music, this is a criticism that's way out of line. Music is a matter of personal taste. The fact that you don't like John Denver doesn't make it bad music. Personally, I would walk out of a place that played rap (which is NOT music), or anything even vaguely resembling heavy metal or hard rock. That's my personal choice. While I certainly have favorites, almost anything else is within my range of tolerance, and not something I'd ever complain about. (Volume could be a reasonable issue, IMO; but not choice of artists.)

way out of line? John Denver sucks, that's not criticism, that's fact. and, i didn't threaten to walk out of the place as you suggested you would do yourself. i actually came up with the idea of sharing some different music with them. i ain't talking rap or heavy metal. something pleasant like Air's "Moon Safari" or possibly Sea and Cake's "Oui". have a listen, you might enjoy yourself!

it's the early bird that gets the bacon, Moby... :D

I must be jinxed. :D

Two times I went to dine at Mulligans only to be told that the staff were "too tired" to cook. (I haven't been back after the second occasion)

Now no bacon at Cholada's - but I will give them a second chance.

Next thing I know I'll end up in a "pub with no beer" :D

But I suppose that's not too hard to do these days, what with elections, religious holidays and the like...... :D

way out of line? John Denver sucks, that's not criticism, that's fact. and, i didn't threaten to walk out of the place as you suggested you would do yourself. i actually came up with the idea of sharing some different music with them. i ain't talking rap or heavy metal. something pleasant like Air's "Moon Safari" or possibly Sea and Cake's "Oui". have a listen, you might enjoy yourself!

From his official biography:

"Throughout the decade of the 1970’s, John was recognized in various ways for his musical talents with many awards. In 1971, he received the Country Music Awards Song of the Year for “Take Me Home, Country Roads.” Then, in 1974 he was honored with the Cashbox magazine’s Number One Artist and Number One Album for John Denver’s Greatest Hits; the ASCAP Top Album of the Year for John Denver’s Greatest Hits; and for Record World’s Top Male Recording Artist. In 1975, John received the Peoples’ Choice Award for Favorite Musical Performer as well as the American Guild of Vocal Artists award for Singing Star of the Year. In 1977, John Denver was honored by the governor of Colorado with the “Poet Laureate of Colorado” recognition; in 1979, the U.S. Jaycees named John Denver as one of the Ten Outstanding Men of America. Throughout the decade he amassed a total of fourteen gold albums and eight platinum albums in the U.S. alone. In an update in June 2001, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) announced that RCA had audited and updated the John Denver music catalogue. His record sales totals from RCA have reached an all-time total of 32.5 million albums. This does not include overseas sales nor his work with his own record label, Windstar Records."

Man, he sucked. :o

Thanks for the invitation to the electronically created sounds of "Air" and "Sea and Cake"; groups who have produced a grand total of 6 and 8 albums. You are correct in your implication that I have never heard their music. I'm not a fan of music that is electronically created. The clear and unique voice that was John Denver's sound is much more to my liking. He was an amazing musical talent; not an electronics expert.

John Denver's popularity speaks for itself. While you are entitled to your personal taste in music, you are most certainly in the minority with respect to this Hall of Fame performer.

As for "Air" and "Sea and Cake", they can be accurately described as performers of "fad" sounds; and will be forgotten by all but a few fans long before John Denver's music stops being played, if, indeed, that ever happens.