The Dark Side

paul1970

I too don't really want to discuss John Denver, but I have to chime in here.

I wasn't a fan of JD - in fact although I acknowledge that he has made a few global hits, and has a pretty decent voice, I kinda thought he was pretty old hat and not really worth listening to in this day and age.

Then one day in Carrefour, I saw "John Denver - the wild life collection" for sale at a very reasonable price.

Being a bit of a 'Cheap Charlie', I bought it without too much expectations.

This DVD is a live concert in a studio - in New York I think.

The music and the lyrics have blown my mind away.

It is brilliantly written - brilliantly sung and there is no way in the world that anyone can get a away with claiming that "John Denver sucks".

It just ain't right and ain't true.

I challenge you to listen to this DVD and still maintain the same opinion.

John Denver is dead, but I will cherish this DVD as a legacy of a truly great song writer and singer.

And I would love to hear his music playing in Cholada's coffee shop - even if they have run out of bacon. :o

Tried the courtyard today again after seeing so many positive posts but can say NOT IMPRESSED!!!.

Starter. soup starter was veggies in clear water and bland.

The beef was very good, 6 thin slices!

the yorkie pudding was passable, veggies bland tasteless and watery, potatoes!!!!not sure about them, they could have been boiled but dirty looking or roasted and forgot to put oil on...very strange.

Was really looking forward to it but left half of it, and after not enjoying one meal out of three, I will not return! will try cafe uno next time!!

As I have said here many times before, there is no "right or wrong" in taste for food. So 'lemel' is certainly entitled to the interpretation of his own taste buds. However, I must strongly disagree with everything he said about the roast dinner at The Courtyard.

I believe that he was actually there at the same time that I was, entering after I was already seated at the bar. The reason I make the connection is that he left when I was only about half finished with the roast chicken dinner that I had, and that surprised me. I didn't notice that he hadn't finished the meal, and was just thinking; "Wow, that guy is really a fast eater."

As to the specifics, I have enjoyed the chicken, beef, and pork roast dinners a total of 6 times now; and always enjoy every item served. The soup is far from bland, with a nice mix of veggies, and small chunks of ham. The broth has plenty of flavor. The same is true for the potatoes ("forgot to add oil"? -BLAGHH! Who in the world would soak roasted potatoes in OIL?!!). The "dirt" was, I'm sure, the result of the basting with the juice from the beef! The veggie mix includes brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, shell peas, carrots, onions, and baby brussels sprouts. It is, it seems to me, a literal impossibility for such a variety of veggies to be "bland, tasteless, and watery".

Again, each to his own taste and opinion when it comes to food. But I have to say, 'lemel', that your opinion is as far from my opinion, and that of every poster that I recall seeing make comments about The Courtyard roast dinners, as it is possible to be. Perhaps there was a "tastebud problem" of some kind for you today. I don't know. If not, then I suspect that you have very different preferences in food than do most people. And you are certainly entitled to them.

But I do suggest that anyone for whom 'lemel's' reveiw was their first exposure to a review of The Courtyard Sunday roast, take a few moments to read back in the thread for a few more opinions, before placing any credence in the comments from 'lemel'. Better yet, try one for yourself next week, and let your own taste buds make the decision. :o

By the way, the chicken used for the roast chicken dinner is now a small whole chicken, rather than the 1/2 chicken used before. It's about the size of cornish hen; and is stuffed with the great dressing that Nongyao makes. Of course, there is a lot more of that dressing outside the chicken as well. She marinates them overnight, and this makes the chicken very moist and flavorful. Note, however, that she only prepares 4 of them per week, to avoid waste. So, if you want one, it's best to either drop by and pre-order on Friday or Saturday; or arrive early (12:30 or so) on Sunday to maximize your chance of getting one.

We tried the Courtyard when it first opened and were not impressed. Whilst I may try it again I am continually surprised at the low standards of cooking for farang food in Pattaya. Apart from not enjoying the food I found it to have a very sterile atmosphere, there was no music and it was too light. Sure these may be personal preferences but I prefer slightly dimmed lighting in the evening and some background music. This may have changed.

Anyone know the latest news on the Wood restaurant? Im refering to the Thai restaurant just before the courtyard if you are coming from the 7/11 (we call it the Wood as it doenst have a name). Went to eat there the other night and they were having a funeral which seems to be going on for a few days now.

We tried the Courtyard when it first opened and were not impressed. Whilst I may try it again I am continually surprised at the low standards of cooking for farang food in Pattaya. Apart from not enjoying the food I found it to have a very sterile atmosphere, there was no music and it was too light. Sure these may be personal preferences but I prefer slightly dimmed lighting in the evening and some background music. This may have changed.

I too tried the courtyard when it first opened, and I also found the place somewhat "bland" and "sterile". It seems to have no atmosphere, which is strange when you can see the money that was poured into it's construction.

I was the only customer and was urged to try the Pad Thai, which I found to be barely passable.

Now, I am not one who expects the owner/manager to play "Mine Host" and come over and indulge me in witty conversation - in fact I rather like to be left alone to read my newspaper, or whatever. But bearing in mind I was the only customer, the owner seemed to make a point of not catching my eye, or give me a smile or in some way welcoming me to his establishment. I tried on several occasions to meet his eye, but to no avail.

Then a few weeks ago, I went back again to meet a friend, and this time I sat in the outdoor bar, which is very pleasant. Again, I was the only customer (until my friend arrived), and again I didn't so much as get a friendly nod from the owner - not when I arrived, nor when I departed.

I know that others have reported that the owner is quite friendly, and has indulged them in conversation, so maybe it"s because I'm a Brit (he's an Ameriacn) or maybe I just give the appearance of being as miserable old bastard, but I've never experienced this type of behaviour from the owner/ manager in any other establishment I have been in.

Then you take into account the fact that he actively poached girls from a rival bar, it does make you wonder about his integrity and suitability to run a restaurant.

I shall give it one more try before I strike it from my list forever :o

I went back to Cholada's for breakfast. Plenty of bacon this time, and no John Denver, no rap, and no electronic crap - in fact no music whatsoever :D

I too tried the courtyard when it first opened, and I also found the place somewhat "bland" and "sterile". It seems to have no atmosphere, which is strange when you can see the money that was poured into it's construction.

I was the only customer and was urged to try the Pad Thai, which I found to be barely passable.

Now, I am not one who expects the owner/manager to play "Mine Host" and come over and indulge me in witty conversation - in fact I rather like to be left alone to read my newspaper, or whatever. But bearing in mind I was the only customer, the owner seemed to make a point of not catching my eye, or give me a smile or in some way welcoming me to his establishment. I tried on several occasions to meet his eye, but to no avail.

Then a few weeks ago, I went back again to meet a friend, and this time I sat in the outdoor bar, which is very pleasant. Again, I was the only customer (until my friend arrived), and again I didn't so much as get a friendly nod from the owner - not when I arrived, nor when I departed.

I know that others have reported that the owner is quite friendly, and has indulged them in conversation, so maybe it"s because I'm a Brit (he's an Ameriacn) or maybe I just give the appearance of being as miserable old bastard, but I've never experienced this type of behaviour from the owner/ manager in any other establishment I have been in.

Then you take into account the fact that he actively poached girls from a rival bar, it does make you wonder about his integrity and suitability to run a restaurant.

I shall give it one more try before I strike it from my list forever :o

I went back to Cholada's for breakfast. Plenty of bacon this time, and no John Denver, no rap, and no electronic crap - in fact no music whatsoever :D

I'm positive that you're mistaken about the nationality of the "owner" at The Courtyard, Mobi. He, is either a Brit, or (more likely) a Canadian. I met him only once. He ignored me and my wife until we were nearly out the door. Then, for some reason, looked up an engaged us in a brief and pleasant conversation. Seems like a decent guy. However, I put "owner" in quotes because he really has nothing to do with running the place. His wife, Nongyao, is the chief chef, and the manager of the place. She is the one with extensive restaurant experience. She is nearly always busy in the kitchen. But, when she does have time to come out, she's very friendly, and willing to discuss specifics of the menu, including constructive criticism and suggestions. She speaks very good English, by the way, having spent several years in Canada.

You will also find the Head Waitress, Dar, to be very willing to engage in light conversation; and open to specific discussion or requests relative to items on the menu. She will also check out requests you may have for items not on the menu, which Nongyao will happily try to accommodate, if she has the ingredients.

I still find most of the items on the menu to be, at worst, average; and some well above that level. I really enjoy the grilled pork chops, and, as I've mentioned before, 3 of the 4 choices on the Sunday Roast. (I don't eat lamb.)

I'm positive that you're mistaken about the nationality of the "owner" at The Courtyard, Mobi. He, is either a Brit, or (more likely) a Canadian. I met him only once. He ignored me and my wife until we were nearly out the door. Then, for some reason, looked up an engaged us in a brief and pleasant conversation. Seems like a decent guy. However, I put "owner" in quotes because he really has nothing to do with running the place. His wife, Nongyao, is the chief chef, and the manager of the place. She is the one with extensive restaurant experience. She is nearly always busy in the kitchen. But, when she does have time to come out, she's very friendly, and willing to discuss specifics of the menu, including constructive criticism and suggestions. She speaks very good English, by the way, having spent several years in Canada.

You will also find the Head Waitress, Dar, to be very willing to engage in light conversation; and open to specific discussion or requests relative to items on the menu. She will also check out requests you may have for items not on the menu, which Nongyao will happily try to accommodate, if she has the ingredients.

I still find most of the items on the menu to be, at worst, average; and some well above that level. I really enjoy the grilled pork chops, and, as I've mentioned before, 3 of the 4 choices on the Sunday Roast. (I don't eat lamb.)

I must admit I thought he was Brit when I heard him speak, but I was told he is an American. Maybe he is indeed a Canadian.

I accept the fact that he does not actually run the place, but I do find his apparent refusal to give customers a smiling welcome somewhat disconcerting. I have always found Canadians ( and Americans for matter) charm itself, when it comes to the 'service' business. So he's probably a gauche Brit :o

I shall give it one more try - maybe for Sunday lunch and see if the soup is tasteless or tasteful :D

I'd like to give Cafe Uno a try, but so far I haven't spotted it. Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find it. People keep posting that it's on Soi Khaonoi, but where on Soi Khaonoi?

First, let me tell you that I definitely recommend Cafe Uno. I have eaten there 4 times since finding it; and now include it among my "regular" spots for lunch. As you may have read, it is run by an Englishman named Craig. He is an affable host, an excellent chef, and most of the recipes there are his own. Great burger meat, which is also used for the meatballs. I haven't yet tried a Panini, but that's next on my list.

Cafe Uno is located on the north side of Khao Noi (on your left, if you're coming down from Sukhumvit). It is past the railroad tracks, and a 100 meters or so before you reach Noi's Bar. The sign is white letters on a black background. Both indoor (non-smoking and A/C) and outdoor seating are available.

I hope that gets you there. It's well worth checking out. Be a bit patient with the waitresses. They're sweet girls, but new to the job. Craig is always willing to help, if needed, as is his wife.

I'd like to give Cafe Uno a try, but so far I haven't spotted it. Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find it. People keep posting that it's on Soi Khaonoi, but where on Soi Khaonoi?

First, let me tell you that I definitely recommend Cafe Uno. I have eaten there 4 times since finding it; and now include it among my "regular" spots for lunch. As you may have read, it is run by an Englishman named Craig. He is an affable host, an excellent chef, and most of the recipes there are his own. Great burger meat, which is also used for the meatballs. I haven't yet tried a Panini, but that's next on my list.

Cafe Uno is located on the north side of Khao Noi (on your left, if you're coming down from Sukhumvit). It is past the railroad tracks, and a 100 meters or so before you reach Noi's Bar. The sign is white letters on a black background. Both indoor (non-smoking and A/C) and outdoor seating are available.

I hope that gets you there. It's well worth checking out. Be a bit patient with the waitresses. They're sweet girls, but new to the job. Craig is always willing to help, if needed, as is his wife.

Cafe Uno is indeed very good and I eat there myself many times a week and can thoroughly recommend the Panini's, burgers, his Indian dish's (especially the Chicken Dhansak) a very good Gammon steak and also the great Chicken Burger but you'd better be hungry for that one, it's huge.

Also does very good English breakfasts.

There is also another addition to the Darkside opening on the 3rd of November, it is going to be a British style fish an chip shop (which will be called I beleive "The Great British Fish and Chip Shop" ). It is going to be between the Paradise bar and Flinstones bar on Soi Khao Noi. Hopefully they will have real chips and fish that could beat IMO the current best fish this side of Sukhumvit which is at Chesters just opposite the wet market on Nernplubwaan. I will report after trying the new chippy next week.

During last saturdays deluge and traffic chaos we pulled in to the Plaza on Soi Nernplubwan, and found Andreas' Bar, next to BB Lets office, where we had a friendly drink and some excellent home made pasta.

A bar and a restaurant,the owner is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about food.

Worth a visit for the friendly atmosphere, decent food at a reasonable price, we have been back already.

We all know now there are many nice places to eat at the Dark Side, what about nice places where you can have a drink, or more than one :o .

I know you can have a drink in most of the restaurants already mention in this topic, but this is not what I am looking for, I know the Lucky Inn, but not immediately my cup of tea, more something maybe like the Courtyard, where you can enjoy a drink outside or inside .

Thanks.

This evening I spotted a small, open air restaurant very near the end of Soi Neurnplabwan, about 150 meters or so from the wat, called "Biem Sapp," advertising that German food is served there. This restaurant is a new one to me. Does anyone know anything about it?

This evening I spotted a small, open air restaurant very near the end of Soi Neurnplabwan, about 150 meters or so from the wat, called "Biem Sapp," advertising that German food is served there. This restaurant is a new one to me. Does anyone know anything about it?

Name is : Beim Sapp ( beim meaning "at" in German)

Already a while there, but I never saw a customer and I live in the area.

Edited by luckyluke

Opposite is a new bar Route CC in the making. Opening on the 8th.

any details? will this be a british pub?

looks rather ike a girlie bar from outside.

Seeing that it is owned by the bloke previously owning the Saigon in Soi 6, I'd reckon Raro is right here.

He promises to do some great burgers though, so at least we have an excuse to pop in once or twice :o

Seeing that it is owned by the bloke previously owning the Saigon in Soi 6, I'd reckon Raro is right here.

He promises to do some great burgers though, so at least we have an excuse to pop in once or twice :o

So we are in for some good buns then?

He promises to do some great burgers though, so at least we have an excuse to pop in once or twice :D

So we are in for some good buns then?

One track mind raro? :D:o

The same is true for the potatoes ("forgot to add oil"? -BLAGHH! Who in the world would soak roasted potatoes in OIL?!!). The "dirt" was, I'm sure, the result of the basting with the juice from the beef!

Correctly cooked British roast potatoes are actually basted in oil/fat after being boiled for approx: 10 minutes. The oil could vary depending upon what the chef prefers but many use olive oil now due to its health benefits - however your not likely to find a place charging 300b for a meal using olive oil as its so expensive. They are not drowned in oil (or at least should be done that way) however the purpose of the oil is to make the potato crispy on the outside. Unfortunately the Courtyard roast potatoes are by British standards pretty bland but its still probably one of the best I have had in Pattaya - no means excellent but certainly up with the best but thats actually not coming from a very good base.

Not in the part of the UK that I hail from!

I personally steam whole, unpeeled potatoes until I can gently pull off the skin, but boiling (or blanching) cut chunks is my mum's way of preparing the spuds. Then spread around the roast in it's tray in the oven and cover and cook. Lift the cover occasionally to baste the tatties. No oil need be ued, the juices from the meat are sufficient.

The veggies described as watery and bland are probably the obercooked British landlady variety - I blanch most veg, not boil them to death.

Maybe it'll be a German Beer house with the girls in leather shorts and suspenders.

That aught to keep Raro happy, provided they don't charge too much for the Sangsom :D

• 4 weeks later...

I had an my first opportunity to try the food at the Courtyard recently (due to the fact that Rung Thip was unexpectedly closed) and here are my impressions:

First off, I just had a single Thai dish (what I normally order at RT) so this review is mainly a comparison of CY vs. RT in preparing this dish to my liking. As to ambiance, they sure did a nice job with the CY and it's as impressive on the inside as it looks on the outside. My only complaint would be (as if often the case in LOS) that the lighting is too strong and there are too many of them so it is too bright inside and this makes for a more sterile atmosphere. However, the decor and furnishings are first rate. It's also very nice to have the choice of air-con comfort inside or a nice outside garden setting.

As for the service and staff, they are not the most smiling and friendly crew you will run into in Pattaya. However, they are efficient.

As to my dish, moo thowd kratiem prik Thai laat khow kai dow (fried pork with garlic and pepper over rice with a fried-egg) it was only okay. My main complaint was that it was too salty. A second complaint would be that the portion of meat was very small (maybe 2/3 or 1/2 of RT's) and the price was rather high at B 160. This dish costs me something on the order of B 80 at RT and the portion size is noticiably larger. I noticed as I pursued the Thai dishes on the menu that all the prices were on the high side...nothing under B 100 and they have a policy of not serving "over rice" dishes but make you order the meat dish and a separate order of rice. This results in greater cost and sometimes too much food. Now I know paying for the atmosphere and air-con costs money but double for a smaller portion seems to be pushing it to me.

I will be back to try some of the farang dishes, however, as they appear to be reasonable in price and like I said, the atmosphere is nice.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know the latest news on the Wood restaurant? Im refering to the Thai restaurant just before the courtyard if you are coming from the 7/11 (we call it the Wood as it doenst have a name). Went to eat there the other night and they were having a funeral which seems to be going on for a few days now.

Im quoting my own post as no-one seems to know the place im talking about. We drove past today and they now have a sign up (in thai) wife says its called kor moo yang which is one of the great (thai) dishes they do there. Its pretty much next door to the courtyard and ive seen other westerners in there sometimes. seeing as a few of you must live v.close im sure you must have been in?? i havent been for a while cos of our little'un we dont get to go out much anymore. Like I said b4 ive not tried the western food but the thai food is v.good and thai prices...