The Dark Side

paul1970

I can vouch for PJs ( my local ) !! Good food , friendly staff, nice pool if you have kids to keep amused..........

OOPS! The thought of a bunch of squeeling, shouting kids could keep me away. Sorry, but I don't have kids, and do not appreciate that environment while I'm eating lunch. ... Or at any other time, for that matter.

(Cranky old man!) :o

Never saw any screaming kids there…

BTW, the Misses voted the Thai food AAA.

OK. That's good news. It was just an image that formed in my mind when I put the words "pool" and "kids" together! :D

I will try it for lunch someday.

Last night, I had my second pizza from Cafe Uno. I got the veggie ("Verdura") again, but went for double cheese this time. FANTASTIC!

PJs is spilt in two sections .....the pool is round the back...well away from the bar / restaurant area............so you wont have to worry about kids.........some of the adults around the front are a bit worrying though !!!!! :o

Seriously , good bar to visit. Sundays roasts are good, mostly English menu, and full English breakfast very good as well.

BTW, the Misses voted the Thai food AAA.

And what type of farang food do they have...English, German, Continental/French and are there any dishes you recommend in particular?

Try the Gammon steak, you won’t regret it. The Thai food must be good as this was the first time she was not complaining…

Has anybody actually tried the food in the Place across from Chonlada coffee shop ? It looks like a dram shop but I do recall someone saying they served some decent burgers. the burgers would be good, but am not interested in the girls these days, hence the question. I also went to Tip restaurant, the Thai place on the corner of SCC and Nern Plub Wan and had a good Thai feed in there. not to be confused with Rung Tip which also continues to be a good place to go. I also noticed last night coming back from BKK that the Delibean place on the Resevoir has signs up and is called The Lakeside - the sign said something like Restaurant, garden bar and the Delibean. Seems to be coming along quite well, but not sure when its opening (it was not open last night, however they seemed to be playing about with the lights as I drove past).

I also went to Tip restaurant, the Thai place on the corner of SCC and Nern Plub Wan and had a good Thai feed in there.

Where is this corner? Aren't SSC and Nern Plub Wan parallel to each other? I was no geometry wiz but I do recall my teacher emphasizing that two parallel lines (or roads) would never intersect to form a corner or meeting point :D

Also, on my way back from Bangkok (from my trip to Angeles City...see my trip report in the SE Asian sub-forum) I stopped to eat a The Courtyard last nite. As some of the new farang dishes have been recommended lately, I tried the spaghetti with meat balls. In a word, I was disappointed :o While the meatballs were okay (nothing spectacular and a certain spice I did not recognize predominated the flavor) and the sauce was likewise okay, the noodles were way way OVERCOOKED and were as limp and soggy. Because of this and I guess the fact that they were not drained properly, there was a small puddle of water on the plate as well...thus causing a major dilution of the sauce. There was also way too much sauce put on the noodles. One nice thing, they do give you 5-6 meatballs and the salad dressing and garlic bread is very good. However, I would not order this dish again...maybe just ask for an order of meatballs only and the garlic bread.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

The Peacock inn food quality has now improved a lot since they had an American chef in to help train the cooks, menu increased in size along with the servings, worth trying.

Has anybody tried 'Sammy's Snack Attack' yet? I drive past a lot and have yet to see a customer, but if it is any good, then it would be ideal for a quick take away sandwich or burger.

I also went to Tip restaurant, the Thai place on the corner of SCC and Nern Plub Wan and had a good Thai feed in there.

Where is this corner? Aren't SSC and Nern Plub Wan parallel to each other? I was no geometry wiz but I do recall my teacher emphasizing that two parallel lines (or roads) would never intersect to form a corner or meeting point :D

Also, on my way back from Bangkok (from my trip to Angeles City...see my trip report in the SE Asian sub-forum) I stopped to eat a The Courtyard last nite. As some of the new farang dishes have been recommended lately, I tried the spaghetti with meat balls. In a word, I was disappointed :o While the meatballs were okay (nothing spectacular and a certain spice I did not recognize predominated the flavor) and the sauce was likewise okay, the noodles were way way OVERCOOKED and were as limp and soggy. Because of this and I guess the fact that they were not drained properly, there was a small puddle of water on the plate as well...thus causing a major dilution of the sauce. There was also way too much sauce put on the noodles. One nice thing, they do give you 5-6 meatballs and the salad dressing and garlic bread is very good. However, I would not order this dish again...maybe just ask for an order of meatballs only and the garlic bread.

You give up far too easily, John. I mentioned in my review of the spaghetti that the pasta is overcooked. What we need to do, and I definitely WILL DO, is talk to the owner/chef, Khun Nut, about that. I'm sure that she will adjust it. She is, as I've said before, very responsive to constructive criticism, and requests and suggestions for new items.

The restaurant that Digger mentioned is actually on Nongprue Road, near the intersection of that road (not Nernplubwarn) and SCC. It's on the opposite side from The Courtyard, adjacent to the new 7-11 on that corner. I have eaten there, and agree with Digger that the food is pretty good. The prices are "Thai", so that adds to its' attraction. :D Very pleasant staff, as well.

The Peacock inn food quality has now improved a lot since they had an American chef in to help train the cooks, menu increased in size along with the servings, worth trying.

Has anybody tried 'Sammy's Snack Attack' yet? I drive past a lot and have yet to see a customer, but if it is any good, then it would be ideal for a quick take away sandwich or burger.

Where are these places, Matt?

The restaurant that Digger mentioned is actually on Nongprue Road, near the intersection of that road (not Nernplubwarn) and SCC. It's on the opposite side from The Courtyard, adjacent to the new 7-11 on that corner. I have eaten there, and agree with Digger that the food is pretty good. The prices are "Thai", so that adds to its' attraction. :o Very pleasant staff, as well.

The place I ate in was the same side as the Courtyard and across the street from the new 7-11 at that junction - I always thought it was called Tip restaurant - its not the Issan food place which is next to 7-11 - never tried that one yet, but will do so following your recomendation.

And thanks for the lesson in street naiming - I always thought Nern Plub Wan started at that intersection and then beared right at the 7-11 by the Temple, learn something new everyday.

The restaurant that Digger mentioned is actually on Nongprue Road, near the intersection of that road (not Nernplubwarn) and SCC. It's on the opposite side from The Courtyard, adjacent to the new 7-11 on that corner. I have eaten there, and agree with Digger that the food is pretty good. The prices are "Thai", so that adds to its' attraction. :o Very pleasant staff, as well.

The place I ate in was the same side as the Courtyard and across the street from the new 7-11 at that junction - I always thought it was called Tip restaurant - its not the Issan food place which is next to 7-11 - never tried that one yet, but will do so following your recomendation.

And thanks for the lesson in street naiming - I always thought Nern Plub Wan started at that intersection and then beared right at the 7-11 by the Temple, learn something new everyday.

Gotcha, Digger. That one has been there for a long time. I moved here 3 years ago, and it was there then. That's why I thought you meant the other place, which is new (3 months or so).

I only ate in the one you mentioned one time. My wife wasn't impressed with the Thai food. To be clear, I prefer to eat indoors. I really hate having flies all over my food, even though, in the cooler weather, it's nice to sit outside. The garden area in back of The Courtyard is very pretty. But I always eat inside to avoid the flies. Unfortunately, they "bug" you everywhere, whether a cheap Isaan shack, or a 5-star hotel. If you're outside, you get flies!

“P.J. Pool Bar & Restaurant” just next to Pattaya Hill 2, opposite the flashy motorcycle shop, Soi Kao Noi. Had an outstanding lunch there. Good portions, reasonably priced etc. and the draft Tiger is served just right.

PJs is right around the corner from my apt. My first (maybe last) dining experience there was less than pleasing. I ordered a steak sandwich and fries. Two San Mig lights and forty minutes later I get my almost cold steak sandwich and seven very hot fries. It was about 6pm and they weren't busy.

Friendly staff but I can't say I was enticed to return. Waiting 40 minutes for a sandwich and seven french fries?

Naaaaa :o

Hi Patsfangr, Peacock Hotel is located on Soi SCC on the right side if coming from the city, a little before the Horseshoe point turning and after Terrace bar, Sammy's is further on, where the road bares left around the lake, by the arch for SCC and it is located just before Magnolias Hotel.

Actually it is really getting harder to choose where to eat or drink out here nowadays, there is a lot more choice, which is good coz it means there is no need to go in to town anymore!

For instance I can even go to the new small Villa supermarket between Burapha and Laem Chabang golf courses and get supplies a lot easier than going to say Foodland. :o

I tried the spaghetti with meat balls. In a word, I was disappointed...the meatballs were okay...the noodles were way way OVERCOOKED and were as limp and soggy...they were not drained properly...there was a small puddle of water on the plate as well...thus causing a major dilution of the sauce...There was also way too much sauce too.

What we need to do, and I definitely WILL DO, is talk to the owner/chef, Khun Nut, about that. I'm sure that she will adjust it.

If you want to give it a try...be my guest. To me, even a non-native "cook" should be able to read a pasta package (or a simply cookbook [they are working as a cook after all]) and see how long to cook spaghetti. Also, tell them, again basic pasta cooking, to add salt to the pasta cooking pot; they also need to DRAIN it properly and let it rest a couple minutes before drowning it in sauce. They can also cut-down the sauce amount by 2/3s and have a higher profit margin on the dish to boot.

I have eaten there, and agree with Digger that the food is pretty good. The prices are "Thai", so that adds to its' attraction.

The place I ate in was the same side as the Courtyard and across the street from the new 7-11 at that junction - I always thought it was called Tip restaurant

Gotcha, Digger. That one has been there for a long time. I only ate in the one you mentioned one time. My wife wasn't impressed with the Thai food.

I'm not really sure which restaurant you two are referring to. However, on that same stretch of Nongprue Road between SSC and NPW, on the same side as Courtyard is an open-air Thai restaurant that has a sign with a pig on it (no western name). I recently ate there and it was very much only ok. Basically, it's a tiny step above street vendor food in quality.

I had the fried pork with garlic and it was mostly inedible pieces of fat and gristle...very low quality meat scraps. The fried rice noodles with chicken (phat siew) was much better, if a little over seasoned. Prices, again, are very cheap (Thai prices) but you definitely only get what you pay for. My advice, give this place a pass.

In addition, the same day I tried this place, on the way home, I stopped at the coffee cafe and the end of the new shopping-corner at SCC and Nongprue Road for a latte. It was one of the worst I have had in Thailand! I don't know if the problem was the beans or the preparation (they had a decent looking espresso machine) but it was undrinkable...I threw the whole thing out.

It was not an exemplary day for eating on the Farside that day :o

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

If you want to give it a try...be my guest. To me, even a non-native "cook" should be able to read a pasta package (or a simply cookbook [they are working as a cook after all]) and see how long to cook spaghetti. Also, tell them, again basic pasta cooking, to add salt to the pasta cooking pot; they also need to DRAIN it properly and let it rest a couple minutes before drowning it in sauce. They can also cut-down the sauce amount by 2/3s and have a higher profit margin on the dish to boot.

Again, I agree on the poor job cooking the pasta, and will discuss it with Kuhn Nongyao. I suspect that she did a poor job of supervising the spaghetti cooking, making the mistake of assuming that "everybody knows how to cook spaghetti".

I have to disagree on the sauce, however, The amount of sauce is a matter of taste. I happen to prefer a heavy portion of sauce on spaghettie, and also eat it that way at home. Just opposite of your complaint, I was very happy to see that there's a lot of sauce on the pasta at The Courtyard. I'm always disappointed when I get a plate full of pasta with a couple of tablespoons of sauce sitting like a bullseye in the middle of it.

I'm not really sure which restaurant you two are referring to. However, on that same stretch of Nongprue Road between SSC and NPW, on the same side as Courtyard is an open-air Thai restaurant that has a sign with a pig on it (no western name). I recently ate there and it was very much only ok. Basically, it's a tiny step above street vendor food in quality.

I had the fried pork with garlic and it was mostly inedible pieces of fat and gristle...very low quality meat scraps. The fried rice noodles with chicken (phat siew) was much better, if a little over seasoned. Prices, again, are very cheap (Thai prices) but you definitely only get what you pay for. My advice, give this place a pass.

In addition, the same day I tried this place, on the way home, I stopped at the coffee cafe and the end of the new shopping-corner at SCC and Nongprue Road for a latte. It was one of the worst I have had in Thailand! I don't know if the problem was the beans or the preparation (they had a decent looking espresso machine) but it was undrinkable...I threw the whole thing out.

I believe that the one Digger is talking about is the one right on the corner of Nongprue and SCC, directly opposite the new 7-11. The one I mentioned is beside the 7-11.

The note you made about the meat in the other place is an example of my problem with eating in most very small (and very cheap) Thai food shops. Rarely do you get anything resembling quality meat - especially beef and pork. They nearly always serve meat from areas of the animal that most westerners throw away; and they nearly always include lots of fat, which most Thais love to eat. While we always pay more at restaurants that have a decent western, as well as Thai menu, we usually get meat that is of higher quality, and less fat content; in keeping with our tastes. Add to that the flies and relatively unsanitary surrroundings, and I remain firmly in favor of moving a little upscale for my meals, whether Thai or western food.

The Thai restaurant you refer to is called Kor Moo Yang (Grilled Pork Neck) which is worth trying if you like this dish.

I only recommend going if you are with a Thai person to get the most out of this place and wouldn't recommend it if you don't like real Thai food. They do an excellent deep fried fish (sea bass), 2 styles either plain or with fried finely chopped lemon grass on top and served with dipping sauce. I'm also keen on the deep fried spare ribs. As they are geared to a Thai market they will use local chicken (Gai baan) which to a westerner (incl. me) is too tough so you can opt for Gai Nua which is more suited to western palate. They also have some other fish specials but if you go with a Thai they can explain them to you.

This place won't suit many (foreign) people which is good as it can be quite busy at peak times already. But if you have some Thai friends then take them and a bottle of whisky and try something new.

"P.J. Pool Bar & Restaurant" just next to Pattaya Hill 2, opposite the flashy motorcycle shop, Soi Kao Noi. Had an outstanding lunch there. Good portions, reasonably priced etc. and the draft Tiger is served just right.

PJs is right around the corner from my apt. My first (maybe last) dining experience there was less than pleasing. I ordered a steak sandwich and fries. Two San Mig lights and forty minutes later I get my almost cold steak sandwich and seven very hot fries. It was about 6pm and they weren't busy.

Friendly staff but I can't say I was enticed to return. Waiting 40 minutes for a sandwich and seven french fries?

Unfortunately that was also my experience, a long wait and then disappointing food. A neighbour recommends the breakfast but I wont be rushing to try it.

...on that same stretch of Nongprue Road between SSC and NPW, on the same side as Courtyard is an open-air Thai restaurant that has a sign with a pig on it

The Thai restaurant you refer to is called Kor Moo Yang (Grilled Pork Neck) which is worth trying if you like this dish.

As they are geared to a Thai market they will use local chicken (Gai baan) which to a westerner (incl. me) is too tough so you can opt for Gai Nua which is more suited to western palate.

Wow...you have really gone native to know this stuff...who ever heard of there being 2 choices of chicken meat at a Thai resto...so if I hear some desperate screeching sounds and see one less chicken running around the place, I'll know I getting gai baan...and I thought there was nothing more to be learned from this thread after 738 posts :o

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

...on that same stretch of Nongprue Road between SSC and NPW, on the same side as Courtyard is an open-air Thai restaurant that has a sign with a pig on it

As they are geared to a Thai market they will use local chicken (Gai baan) which to a westerner (incl. me) is too tough so you can opt for Gai Nua which is more suited to western palate.

Wow...you have really gone native to know this stuff...who ever heard of there being 2 choices of chicken meat at a Thai resto...so if I hear some desperate screeching sounds and see one less chicken running around the place, I'll know I getting gai baan...and I thought there was nothing more to be learned from this thread after 738 posts :o

I've never heard of two different "species" of chicken either. However, I do love good deep fried sea bass. I often order it at Rungthip, which also does a good job on that dish. I may try at this place some day, if I can talk my VERY picky wife into trying it. (She reacts to the idea of eating food prepared with palm oil as if it were battery acid! If she finds that a restaurant uses it, rather than soy or sunflower - as most Thai restaurants DO - she won't eat there.)

Patsfangr - a quick aside - what is wrong with Palm oil? I have little idea on these things other than I just tend to use the only 2 oils I have ever known - 1 being extra virgin Olive oil and the other is Mazola (english brand, but sold in Thailand) corn oil which my mum used. Other than that I have zero idea what is good or bad - is Corn oil good or bad?

Always good to learn something new.

Patsfangr - a quick aside - what is wrong with Palm oil? I have little idea on these things other than I just tend to use the only 2 oils I have ever known - 1 being extra virgin Olive oil and the other is Mazola (english brand, but sold in Thailand) corn oil which my mum used. Other than that I have zero idea what is good or bad - is Corn oil good or bad?

Always good to learn something new.

My wife is actually the expert on the specifics of this stuff, Digger. I can only tell you what she's relayed to me from her readings. Palm oil is recognized by health experts as the most dangerous oil to the heart. I actually picked up a pamphlet while at the cardiology department in BPH a couple of months ago which confirmed that, and provided specifics that I didn't memorize before giving it to my wife.

Olive oil is considered the healthiest of all cooking oils. Soy and sunflower are the also good, among popular oil types; but corn oil is also much less dangerous to the heart than is palm oil.

Here's a site where you can learn alot about all cooking oils, if you care to get into it in depth. ... (Not the oil, the subject!) :o

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/9...hy_cooking.html

"P.J. Pool Bar & Restaurant" just next to Pattaya Hill 2, opposite the flashy motorcycle shop, Soi Kao Noi. Had an outstanding lunch there. Good portions, reasonably priced etc. and the draft Tiger is served just right.

Unfortunately that was also my experience, a long wait and then disappointing food. A neighbour recommends the breakfast but I wont be rushing to try it.

Interesting that you had the same experience. I wondered if mine was just one of their off days...

They seem to have a huge party every Friday night with "free food" Maybe I'll give that a try. More than one way to skin a cat without pulling the hair out :D

I've never heard of two different "species" of chicken either. However, I do love good deep fried sea bass. I often order it at Rungthip, which also does a good job on that dish. I may try at this place some day, if I can talk my VERY picky wife into trying it. (She reacts to the idea of eating food prepared with palm oil as if it were battery acid! If she finds that a restaurant uses it, rather than soy or sunflower - as most Thai restaurants DO - she won't eat there.)

I will try and remember to get the wife to ask what oil they use for cooking next time we are in, never crossed my mind before but it's something we should all perhaps consider.

The Thai restaurant you refer to is called Kor Moo Yang (Grilled Pork Neck)

my first laugh-out-loud of the day, thank you very much. fuc_king "Grilled Pork Neck". god save us all...

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

:o

Sorry, I am a non-enlightened, please explain what's so funny.

Opposite is a new bar Route CC in the making. Opening on the 8th.

any details? will this be a british pub?

looks rather ike a girlie bar from outside.

Seeing that it is owned by the bloke previously owning the Saigon in Soi 6, I'd reckon Raro is right here.

He promises to do some great burgers though, so at least we have an excuse to pop in once or twice :D

So we are in for some good buns then?

I ordered the Burger in Route CC and was very impressed. Good price and I had difficultly finishing it due to generous portions. Tasty and thick meat patty. I will definately be eating there again.

Route CC is up the top end of SCC in the village just before the bend that takes you round to the lake.

AMDT 12-02-2009 to add quote posts I found after posting my review - OK, I'll read the thread first next time ...

Girlie at the back and family at the open fronted bit on the roadside. Not saying which I was in....... :D:o

Edited by grahamhc

Somebody any experiences with the restaurant between the Tesco/Lotus of Soi Nernplubwan and Siam Country Club, and the BangkokBank on Sukhumvit Road, looks like a nice place.

I think the place you are referring to is across from Numchai and called Somtom Tonson. I took some Thai ladies there for lunch one day and we had a variety of dishes. They prounounced it pretty good. It is, like the name implies, a place that specializes in somtom (and other Isan dishes). We had specialities like grilled duck tongues/beaks (you think there's not much meat on a chicken wing...try a duck's beak); somtom, soup, grilled pork, and sticky rice.

The grilled pork (moo yang) was very very good (they have two types...soft/moist and the dry variety...we had the moist). The only complaint was the sticky rice was too moist...I don't know if it was an undercooked batch or that's the way they make it there. Prices are medium...not cheap cheap but the atmosphere is very nice...particularly the garden at nite.

Somebody any experiences with the restaurant between the Tesco/Lotus of Soi Nernplubwan and Siam Country Club, and the BangkokBank on Sukhumvit Road, looks like a nice place.

I think the place you are referring to is across from Numchai and called Somtom Tonson. I took some Thai ladies there for lunch one day and we had a variety of dishes. They prounounced it pretty good. It is, like the name implies, a place that specializes in somtom (and other Isan dishes). We had specialities like grilled duck tongues/beaks (you think there's not much meat on a chicken wing...try a duck's beak); somtom, soup, grilled pork, and sticky rice.

The grilled pork (moo yang) was very very good (they have two types...soft/moist and the dry variety...we had the moist). The only complaint was the sticky rice was too moist...I don't know if it was an undercooked batch or that's the way they make it there. Prices are medium...not cheap cheap but the atmosphere is very nice...particularly the garden at nite.

I've been there with my wife a couple of times. The somtom is quite good, according to both of us. I, too, had, and enjoyed, the grilled pork. The 1/2 chicken (gai yang) is also pretty good. As John said, it's not cheap; but I'd say the prices are in keeping with the facility and the quality of the food. (Passed on the duck bill, though. If going to suck on lips, I'd be after something other than a duck!) The only beer they serve is Federbrau, which is pretty good, but a bit pricey.

I'd say it's worth a stop for a quick snack, if you're in the area. Seating both inside (A/C) and outside, depending upon your preference. Most of the staff are very young, school-age, kids; and it shows. Nice kids, but very inexperienced, with poor attention to detail. The manager, however, is a very professional and efficient lady; and her male assistant manager also does a good job.