The Dark Side

paul1970

FYI New Restaurant Alert:

In order to add to our list of Farside dining establishments I bring my fellow Farsiders the following announcement:

There is a new restaurant-bar-pool establishment called Watsana Bar and Restaurant on Nernplubwan. Coming from Sukhumvit, it is 1 kilo up on the left-hand side of the road. It is a converted house inside the Rattanakorn Village moobaan directly accross from the Esso gas station. It has only been open a couple weeks and has indoor and outdoor garden seating and a large sized swimming pool for free use by patrons. The menu is farang and Thai. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner from around 9 am to 10 pm. They also have poolside dining so you can have a pool day and food service just like you were at a hotel

I have not eaten there yet...just paid a visit to check it out. The owner seems friendly...it's a farang and Thai couple. My only concern is that the prices are a little on the high side for the Farside (typical English breakie at B 250 and the "full Monty" breakie at B 350) and typical Thai dishes at around B 85-B150 but putting in that pool must have cost a bundle. The other concern is that the menu is quite extensive and I hope they don't overextend themselves in trying to cook too many dishes (rather than having fewer dishes but preparing them really well).

I will try the food soon and follow-up.

I beat you to it, John! The description was so interesting that I stopped in for lunch today. It was a good experience.

Now, there are a couple of things that should be noted. First of all, as John said, this place has been open for just 2 weeks. The menu is currently fairly limited, and Dave and Watana (the owners) are still struggling to get everything in place the way they want it. They're new to finding good sources for supplies (both food and serving items). But Dave is strongly dedicated to making this a complete and pleasant place to dine. So, if you choose to visit within the next couple of months, be prepared to politely accept these "growing pains."

The indoor seating that John mentioned is not for dining. It's a "lounge" area that is really moe like a large living room. Nice place to just sit and chat with a friend or two over a drink.

The outdoor dining area is very nice. There's a row of high quality wooden tables and benches, which run under a roof beside the house. There's a nice grass area between that and the pool, to which Dave is going to add some chairs and small drink tables.

Dave is really enjoying the process of bringing the place to the level that he wants; and is a very pleasant guy to talk to.

I had a bowl of mushroom and cheese soup, which was OK; and shrimp with aparagus and rice as my main dish. Watana did the cooking, and she's very meticulous about it. It was very tasty.

The main thing to note about this place is that it is intended to be a clean, quiet, cozy place for a meal, or a couple of drinks, with just one or two friends or family. there are no "sexy waitresses" or bar girls. It's a "homey" atmosphere, and the very attractive setting that Dave has built is, right now, its' main attraction. If that's the environment you're looking for, then try Watana's. It is unique in thei area with regard to that environment.

It's about 100 meters down the soi from Nermplubwarn, and totally insulated from the noise and hassle of that zoo!

As I said, the menu will grow. At present, there is a reasonable choice of Thai and western food. You can be sure that whatever you choose will be prepared with care; and that Dave and Watana will happily make any adjustments you may want.

My bottom line is that I will be returning. It will be fun to watch the menu grow, and the facilities become even more pleasant and interesting than they already are.

Enjoyed meal for 2, with half a dozen beers for 850 baht at "WDR - Piocchio".

Decent informal surroundings, helpful service and pleasant owner - Roberto Anzante. Also has big screen.

I think the restaurant/beer garden is newly opened and has an Italian/Swiss/Thai ecclectic menu - we were also told that if we wanted anything 'off menu' chef could accommodate.

To be found at Soi Khaonoi/Watboonsamphan 9 which is essentially the link road to Soi Nernplabwan about 2km in.

That should be "WDR - Pinocchio" - obviously I had more than 6 beers !

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the reviews of The Courtyard I went there last Saturday for breakfast.

I was slightly disappointed when I realised they don't sell breakfasts but decided to try the fid an chip instead. It was very nice indeed, not cod but still a very nice well sized fillet with real chips.

I then went back the following day for a lamb roast, which I have to say was one of the best I have tasted anywhere. Both of my friends that I was with both agreed on the quality. One of them had the pork which had great crackling :o The only thing that was missing was a Yorkshire pudding but there were way to many plus points to put me of going again.

After reading the reviews of The Courtyard I went there last Saturday for breakfast.

I was slightly disappointed when I realised they don't sell breakfasts but decided to try the fid an chip instead. It was very nice indeed, not cod but still a very nice well sized fillet with real chips.

I then went back the following day for a lamb roast, which I have to say was one of the best I have tasted anywhere. Both of my friends that I was with both agreed on the quality. One of them had the pork which had great crackling :o The only thing that was missing was a Yorkshire pudding but there were way to many plus points to put me of going again.

I have to agree I love their Sunday Lunches and was there yesterday for my usual lamb dinner but did notice a guy on the table next to me who had roast beef which does come with a Yorkshire and it looked really nice and crispy, so next Sunday I think a deviation from my usual Lamb will be in order to try the roast beef.

Only dissapointment is that the chicken dinner seems to have dissappeared of the menu as I have asked for it the last two week only to be told no hab, even though the lamb is great I try to have some chicken now and again only to try and be healthy.

Good to hear that you had a good fish and chips, something I will certainly have to try there.

I have to agree I love their Sunday Lunches and was there yesterday for my usual lamb dinner but did notice a guy on the table next to me who had roast beef which does come with a Yorkshire and it looked really nice and crispy, so next Sunday I think a deviation from my usual Lamb will be in order to try the roast beef.

Only dissapointment is that the chicken dinner seems to have dissappeared of the menu as I have asked for it the last two week only to be told no hab, even though the lamb is great I try to have some chicken now and again only to try and be healthy.

Good to hear that you had a good fish and chips, something I will certainly have to try there.

I spoke with the owner, Nongyao, about the roast chicken last week. She said they dropped it because it has to be prepared well in advance, since it marinades over night. They have often had too much left over. However, she said that she will gladly prepare it, if requested a couple of days in advance. No problem for me, since I usually walk there for lunch at least twice a week. So, if you want some week, just do the same. Drop in for lunch, or just for a quick drink, some Thursday or Friday afternoon, and tell them that you want to advance order the roast chicken.

Last night I tried Manneke Pis (I made sure that's how they spell it) for the first time. It won't be the last. I had the beef stew and it was wonderful! Plenty to eat, delicious, and the beef was so tender I literally never had to use my knife.

The only disappointment was the salad. It was more like a garnish. If they have to put a dressing on salads, I wish more of these restaurants would serve the salad separately and provide a choice of dressings. Not everybody likes the same salad dressing and it seemed to be more of a mayonnaise than a dressing.

However, I truly enjoyed the beef stew and the price is certainly reasonable. 245 baht. There is a meatball dish for 215 baht that I'm considering for the next time I go, but it will be quite difficult to choose something else in favor of that beef stew!

Last night I tried Manneke Pis (I made sure that's how they spell it) for the first time. It won't be the last. I had the beef stew and it was wonderful! Plenty to eat, delicious, and the beef was so tender I literally never had to use my knife.

The only disappointment was the salad. It was more like a garnish. If they have to put a dressing on salads, I wish more of these restaurants would serve the salad separately and provide a choice of dressings. Not everybody likes the same salad dressing and it seemed to be more of a mayonnaise than a dressing.

However, I truly enjoyed the beef stew and the price is certainly reasonable. 245 baht. There is a meatball dish for 215 baht that I'm considering for the next time I go, but it will be quite difficult to choose something else in favor of that beef stew!

just a shame that the owner's an ignorant bastid otherwise I'd go back again :o

I've been wanting to try that place for months, since reading good things about it here. The problem, for me, is that it doesn't look very comfortable. Isn't it all outdoor seating? The outdoor area, I know is quite dark in the evening, and I like a bit more light on my food. My wife isn't too happy with what she's seen of it as we drive by; and, since they're not open until 4 PM, I can't try it for lunch.

So, can anybody give me some good news about the atmosphere? Is there an indoor room with A/C that I haven't noticed when driving by?

This is a place I have always put on my places to try but for one reason or another have never gotten round to it.

I have heard from various sources that the owner is indeed a prat, just ask the owner of the outback bar next door, which by the way has some very nice grub available and usually a friendly bunch to have a chat with.

But saying that I go to eat in places for the food and not to make friends with the owner and I have heard that the food is supposed to be very good. I don't mind the lack of AC in eating outdoors, especially in the evenings but what I do hate is having to swat flies away from the food and also the dam_n mossies, so I would like to know if there is any indoor eating available here ?

Let me add my four pennyth here.

I don't think there is an owner on the Darkside who has a good word to say about the Manneke Pis owner, and I know this as I have heard many of the insults personally. This attitude by the other bar owners also seems to be parroted by the devotees of these establishments.

kurgen, you should know better, given that you patronise a place that is owned by a guy who has been banned in several establishments around the lake, and to say the least, has an unsavoury reputation. I won't say any more. but most regulars around the lake will know to what I am referring.

I hasten to add that it hasn't stopped me from going to his place, as he has never done any harm to me and I take as I find. If you hadn't opened your mouth on this, I wouldn't have dreamed of saying anything.

As I said, I take as I find, and the owner of Manneke Pis has always been extremely polite to me, to all my friends and to everyone who I have seen who patronises his restaurant. I can only extraopolate, that the other owners around the lake don't like him because he refuses to join "cartels" to raise beer prices and generally 'ploughs his own furrow" and is not interested in having jollies with fellow bar owners and tells them as much. From my observation, he is the only "PROFESSIONAL" in that whole area, as he is at his place, every day from mid afternoon, sits unobtrusively in the corner of the bar and takes care of business, welcoming cusrtomers, sorting out problems with orders, pouring the Belgium beer into special glasses, etc. etc. until closing time. He has been running bars and restaurants all his life, and I would say his is one of the most successful businesses on the Dark Side, so I can only conclude that all the others are jealous.

Paul 1970, I can tell you that the restaurant is indeed open open air ( but there again so is Ticinos), but the seating and ambiance are very pleasant, well lit, and he has a regular custom of farangs and their families every night. I was there the other night, and the place was full, including one table of nine people. They are all loyal customers, which must tell you something about customer satisfaction.

It is not perfect - far from it - , but it is good food in a convivial atmosphere at a decent price, and I really object to unjustified posts slagging the owner off for no good reason other than envy, as far as I can see.

There, I've said my piece. :o

Hello Mobi,

thanks for the slap on the wrists :D

I've been in the MP twice and both times the owner was an ignorant <deleted>, enough said :o

Yes, you're right, the owner of my local can be a <deleted> too, but at least he'll greet a new customer.

Anyway, until one of the money grabbing fukkers around the lake drops their prices to 40 baht a bottle I don't suppose any of them are going to be packed out on charm alone. :D

Let me add my four pennyth here.

I don't think there is an owner on the Darkside who has a good word to say about the Manneke Pis owner, and I know this as I have heard many of the insults personally. This attitude by the other bar owners also seems to be parroted by the devotees of these establishments.

kurgen, you should know better, given that you patronise a place that is owned by a guy who has been banned in several establishments around the lake, and to say the least, has an unsavoury reputation. I won't say any more. but most regulars around the lake will know to what I am referring.

I hasten to add that it hasn't stopped me from going to his place, as he has never done any harm to me and I take as I find. If you hadn't opened your mouth on this, I wouldn't have dreamed of saying anything.

As I said, I take as I find, and the owner of Manneke Pis has always been extremely polite to me, to all my friends and to everyone who I have seen who patronises his restaurant. I can only extraopolate, that the other owners around the lake don't like him because he refuses to join "cartels" to raise beer prices and generally 'ploughs his own furrow" and is not interested in having jollies with fellow bar owners and tells them as much. From my observation, he is the only "PROFESSIONAL" in that whole area, as he is at his place, every day from mid afternoon, sits unobtrusively in the corner of the bar and takes care of business, welcoming cusrtomers, sorting out problems with orders, pouring the Belgium beer into special glasses, etc. etc. until closing time. He has been running bars and restaurants all his life, and I would say his is one of the most successful businesses on the Dark Side, so I can only conclude that all the others are jealous.

Paul 1970, I can tell you that the restaurant is indeed open open air ( but there again so is Ticinos), but the seating and ambiance are very pleasant, well lit, and he has a regular custom of farangs and their families every night. I was there the other night, and the place was full, including one table of nine people. They are all loyal customers, which must tell you something about customer satisfaction.

It is not perfect - far from it - , but it is good food in a convivial atmosphere at a decent price, and I really object to unjustified posts slagging the owner off for no good reason other than envy, as far as I can see.

There, I've said my piece. :o

Mobi, just mention you're kind of a regular at my place and you'll probably find out his real personality :D

It's the behind the back stabbing thing which keeps me from going there personally although I will still recommend the place food wise!

I just don't like people feeling the need to carry a gun around our lovely area....

One place worth mentioning is the Rainbow- it's located on Soi Siam, right next to the PGA Driving range. We get there a fair bit, as we live close by. They deliver locally too.

It's very reasonably priced, and has a fairly large mainly Thai menu, but also does some farang food like steaks (which are pretty good for 200bht, if a bit stingy on the chips) and hamburgers (nothing special, but OK).

Probably their standout dishes are noodles- always very good, and wife agrees. My favourite is the Pad Siu, but every one can be recommended- and at 45-65 bht, great value. I've paid far more for worse noodle dishes. Another favourite is the Khaeng Liang, that pumpkin based dish. But it's all pretty good, and reliable.

One warning- if you go there for lunch, recommend you stick to the tried and true like their noodle dishes, or set lunches (good value these). Theres always an owner there at night, but rarely for lunch- which means you can encounter some farcical situations. Like the day they managed to get all three dishes wrong- chicken n chips instead of fish n chips for example. :o

But it's a pleasant place, worth a try if you're around the area. The beers well cold, because it's served with a tankard with ice in the bottom, which may not be for everyone.

Edited by sabang

One place worth mentioning is the Rainbow- it's located on Soi Siam, right next to the PGA Driving range. We get there a fair bit, as we live close by. They deliver locally too.

It's very reasonably priced, and has a fairly large mainly Thai menu, but also does some farang food like steaks (which are pretty good for 200bht, if a bit stingy on the chips) and hamburgers (nothing special, but OK).

Probably their standout dishes are noodles- always very good, and wife agrees. My favourite is the Pad Siu, but every one can be recommended- and at 45-65 bht, great value. I've paid far more for worse noodle dishes. Another favourite is the Khaeng Liang, that pumpkin based dish. But it's all pretty good, and reliable.

One warning- if you go there for lunch, recommend you stick to the tried and true like their noodle dishes, or set lunches (good value these). Theres always an owner there at night, but rarely for lunch- which means you can encounter some farcical situations. Like the day they managed to get all three dishes wrong- chicken n chips instead of fish n chips for example. :o

But it's a pleasant place, worth a try if you're around the area. The beers well cold, because it's served with a tankard with ice in the bottom, which may not be for everyone.

With a review like that I'm sure you'll have them queueing down the road :D

Heh, well heres another review to get them queueing. :o

The Korean restaurant on Soi Siam is well worth a go if you like Korean food- I certainly reckon it deserves more business than it gets, usually we're the only ones there! It's located on the other side of the road from the now defunct Black Pearl 1, just about 200 metres further on heading towards Mabprachan. Nice place actually- individual little pavilions scattered around a garden.

Standout value is the Korean BBQ sets- pork 200 bht, beef 300 bht. Open for lunch and dinner. You get a good feed for that price, a few different cuts of meat, with all the side dishes like kimchi included. Add another dish like the leek pancake Korean style, and you've got a very filling meal for two at a perfectly decent price. And the beer is cold! I'd only been to one Korean restaurant in Patt's before this one, it was off Second Rd near Naklua end- frankly it was very mediocre, and expensive. So it's nice to find a decent one on the Darkside. This place really deserves more custom.

I've been wanting to try that place for months, since reading good things about it here. The problem, for me, is that it doesn't look very comfortable. Isn't it all outdoor seating? The outdoor area, I know is quite dark in the evening, and I like a bit more light on my food. My wife isn't too happy with what she's seen of it as we drive by; and, since they're not open until 4 PM, I can't try it for lunch.

So, can anybody give me some good news about the atmosphere? Is there an indoor room with A/C that I haven't noticed when driving by?

Manneke Pis? You are misinformed as they are definitely open from about 11:30 for lunch. I eat there regularly.

Seating is semi-outdoors or at the bar. No air-con, just fans.

DM

I was at the Maneken Pis last week again for the first time since I witnessed an unpleasant event involving the owner and one of his staff a while ago.

The food (I had the filet steak) was awesome as usual and I had a pleasant chat with the owner (who also appeared well sober) after dinner. This somewhat changed my perception to a more positive one and will prompt me to return more often now.

As for the Korean place, it indeed deserves more attention. Too bad that they had to cross out lots of food items from the menu lacking demand for them.

Mobi, just mention you're kind of a regular at my place and you'll probably find out his real personality :o

It's the behind the back stabbing thing which keeps me from going there personally although I will still recommend the place food wise!

I just don't like people feeling the need to carry a gun around our lovely area....

Monty, believe it or not, he has nothing but nice things to say about you. In fact I have never heard him slag off anyone - he just wants to be left alone to run his own business in his own way.

As I said, I take as I find. If sometime you can provide me with details of "back stabbing" from the man in question, then I'll happily reconsider.

I didn't start all this slagging off of owners on the Darkside, but seeing as it seems to be the season, let me add one of my own.

A month or two back, the owner of the Courtyard was desperate to find staff. So he decided to do a bit of stealing. He went to drink at Manneke Pis every afternoon for a couple of weeks and got to know all the girls there. At that time there was around 9 working girls. To cut a long story short he offfered them all jobs at his place, and managed to prize three away. To this day there are still 2 "Manekke Pis " girls in the Courtyard, and every time they see me they look very abashed.

Nothing illegal in what he did, but it was very underhand and the guy at MP had no idea of who he was or what was happening until the girls disappeared.

It won't stop me going to the Courtyard, but I personally I don't think much of what the Courtyard owner did.

I didn't start all this slagging off of owners on the Darkside, but seeing as it seems to be the season, let me add one of my own.

A month or two back, the owner of the Courtyard was desperate to find staff. So he decided to do a bit of stealing. He went to drink at Manneke Pis every afternoon for a couple of weeks and got to know all the girls there. At that time there was around 9 working girls. To cut a long story short he offfered them all jobs at his place, and managed to prize three away. To this day there are still 2 "Manekke Pis " girls in the Courtyard, and every time they see me they look very abashed.

Nothing illegal in what he did, but it was very underhand and the guy at MP had no idea of who he was or what was happening until the girls disappeared.

It won't stop me going to the Courtyard, but I personally I don't think much of what the Courtyard owner did.

I have mixed feelings on that, Mobi. I certainly see nothing wrong with competing for good workers. That is, after all, "the American way". The working conditions at The Courtyard (A/C environment, easy going management, one day per week off - though that may be the same at MP, I don't know) are certainly very attractive. The girls there get free housing as part of their compensation package. I have no idea of the pay, versus MP. But, overall, The Courtyard has quite a bit to offer as a place of employment for a Thai, I would think. And there's nothing wrong with giving people an opportunity to improve their circumstances.

The other side of it is the somewhat questionable action of sureptitiously recruiting within a competitor's establishment. I don't consider this a mortal sin; but it certainly is on the edge.

Weighing it all out, I'd still have to come down on the side of the owner of The Courtyard. Just my personal view of it.

Manneke Pis? You are misinformed as they are definitely open from about 11:30 for lunch. I eat there regularly.

DM

Thanks for the update, DM. I'll definitely be dropping in for lunch some day next week.

It's strange, though. I got that 4 PM opening time from two people who were in there at about 1 PM one day, a couple (or more?) months back, when I drove in to check the place, intending to have lunch. It was definitely not open that day; and the guy told me that they opened at 4. Have they changed sometime in the last few months?

I have mixed feelings on that, Mobi. I certainly see nothing wrong with competing for good workers. That is, after all, "the American way". The working conditions at The Courtyard (A/C environment, easy going management, one day per week off - though that may be the same at MP, I don't know) are certainly very attractive. The girls there get free housing as part of their compensation package. I have no idea of the pay, versus MP. But, overall, The Courtyard has quite a bit to offer as a place of employment for a Thai, I would think. And there's nothing wrong with giving people an opportunity to improve their circumstances.

The other side of it is the somewhat questionable action of sureptitiously recruiting within a competitor's establishment. I don't consider this a mortal sin; but it certainly is on the edge.

Weighing it all out, I'd still have to come down on the side of the owner of The Courtyard. Just my personal view of it.

I had a feeling you'd probably say that, as you are a fan of the Courtyard. I can assure you that the guys who patronise MP and saw it happening thought it was very underhand.

And I have no doubt that Monty will put me right with his side of the story on the so called other "back stabbing".

We could argue these little 'soap operas' amongst bar and restaurant owners all night, and most of us will take the side of the bar we patronise.

Who knows what the truth of these matters really is? And more importantly, who cares? As long as the owner doesn't insult you or shoot you when you arrive, who gives a toss what goes on behind the scenes?

I certainly don't - if I strike up a friendship with an owner - all well and good - but it is not high on my agenda when I go out to drink or dine.

I just resented Kurgen having a pot shot at someone., and decided to correct the balance. But since he has written a very nice post I hereby forgive him :D

BTW, MP also gives the girls a day off, free housing and food. No idea about salaries, but the girls who were poached had been there a long time. as all the girls there have. They wouldn't stay if they weren't happy and were badly treated, would they? :o

DM

Thanks for the update, DM. I'll definitely be dropping in for lunch some day next week.

It's strange, though. I got that 4 PM opening time from two people who were in there at about 1 PM one day, a couple (or more?) months back, when I drove in to check the place, intending to have lunch. It was definitely not open that day; and the guy told me that they opened at 4. Have they changed sometime in the last few months?

That's odd. The only times that I have found that they don't keep to the usual opening times (11:30 - Midnight/later) is when they are affected by local elections and such things. The Manneke is one of my regular watering holes when I'm out exercising on my push bike. Often find myself there at around mid-day for some sustenance. Their 'Charlie Burger' isn't bad for a quick snack by the way.

DM

openly poaching staff from other establishments is considered out of the ethics of bar/restaurant owners.

Staff will come to you once they hear through the grapewine that you offer better conditions that they enjoy at the moment.

I can confirm that the owner of MP was talking very good about his colleagues at Lake Mabprachan... :o

A few people have written similar posts. Will someone tell us why people are saying this about the owner? Whatever prompts that opinion did not occur while I was there.

the owner has sometimes a rather bad temper. I saw him once blowing the top over a rather small mistake of one of his employees (brought the bill instead of another beer) and since I was the customer with the wrong delivery I felt really sorry for that girl. Prompted me to stay away from the place or a long while.