The Dark Side

paul1970

I just resented Kurgen having a pot shot at someone., and decided to correct the balance. But since he has written a very nice post I hereby forgive him biggrin.gif

Thanks Mobi 1,

I have now sacked my body guards and can at last stop taking the tranquilisers :o

I just resented Kurgen having a pot shot at someone., and decided to correct the balance. But since he has written a very nice post I hereby forgive him biggrin.gif

Thanks Mobi 1,

I have now sacked my body guards and can at last stop taking the tranquilisers :D

:o:D

Well I do have a certain reputation to uphold following that unsavoury incident I was involved in at Mulligans a while back :D

Great thread guys.

I'd like to try The Courtyard tonight. Can anyone direct me there from the junction on Soi Nern Plub Wan that has the 7-11 on one side (road goes to Soi Siam CC) and Family Mart opposite (road gets you to Khao Noi eventually). I can't seem to find directions that I can understand from speed-reading the 25 pages.

Also, do they have an air-conditioned area? We'll be a party of 7 - would I need to book? If so anyone got a telephone number? Finally, I'll be taking my 7-month old daughter (don't worry, she's well behaved and quite) - would this place be suitable?

Thanks for any advice.

I'd like to try The Courtyard tonight. Can anyone direct me there from the junction on Soi Nern Plub Wan that has the 7-11 on one side (road goes to Soi Siam CC) and Family Mart opposite (road gets you to Khao Noi eventually). I can't seem to find directions that I can understand from speed-reading the 25 pages.

If I'm correct, you'll have to drive all the way up to the end of Soi Nern Plub Waan, where you'll hit a T-junction with a temple right in front of you and a 7/11 on the right hand side.

There you turn left (also towards Soi Siam Country Club Road), and after a bit less then 1 km you'll have the Courtyard on your left hand side!

If I'm correct, you'll have to drive all the way up to the end of Soi Nern Plub Waan, where you'll hit a T-junction with a temple right in front of you and a 7/11 on the right hand side.

There you turn left (also towards Soi Siam Country Club Road), and after a bit less then 1 km you'll have the Courtyard on your left hand side!

Just to confirm, Monty's directions are perfect. There is a parking area in front. However, the painted lines angle for entry from the other direction. When it's not busy, no problem. But if there are many cars parked in alignment, you'll have to pass it, and turn around, to angle in properly.

Just to confirm, Monty's directions are perfect. There is a parking area in front. However, the painted lines angle for entry from the other direction. When it's not busy, no problem. But if there are many cars parked in alignment, you'll have to pass it, and turn around, to angle in properly.

These lines are another good reason for approaching via soi Siam Country Club and turning right at the crossroads with the flashing light, just after the little gas station on the right. Unless you have to use soi Nern Plub Wan it is best avoided at busy times.

These lines are another good reason for approaching via soi Siam Country Club and turning right at the crossroads with the flashing light, just after the little gas station on the right. Unless you have to use soi Nern Plub Wan it is best avoided at busy times.

Absolutely true! My pet name for Nern Plub Warn is "Motorbike He_l"! It is populated with the very worst of the area's bike drivers; including frighteningly underage children, "little old ladies", and a majority of unlicensed and unhelmeted drivers. And, of course, the usual percentage of "cowboys" whipping in and around everything adds to the bee hive atmosphere! Completing the mix is an array of every type of slow moving, traffic clogging, vehicle and push cart that you can imagine. It truly is the most frustrating and dangerous road in the entire Pattaya area to navigate in a 4-wheeled vehicle, IMO.

I went to Sure Park tonight for the 1st time in ages. I was very surprised by the lack of customers but still very happy with the food and service.

As I was still stuffed by my roast beef dinner from The Courtyard earlier (yes I finally got a Yorkshire pudding and there was so much beef that I expected to see a tail at one end of my plate and a set of horns at the other, but I digress)

Any way, where was I....oh yes

I had Thai food for the 1st time at Sure Park which was very good and I recommend it to all.

As I was leaving I was handed a flyer for a charity night they are holding on the 10th October, which I will attempt to type out before I get double vision from over hydration, here goes.....

Help us raise money for the children of Bann Jring Jai Childrens Home on Nurn Plab Wan.

There will be a live band and an all you can eat BBQ, all for 300 baht.

All funds raised will be presented to Kru Ta, Principal of Bann Jring Jai on 5th Dec.

Sounds like a great excuse to get pissed for a good cause. Unfortunately I'll be off shore by then so maybe someone can post about how it went.

Well after trying cafe uno in soi kao noi yesterday we are yet to find a decent roast dinner locally, any ideas ?,( brussel sprouts would be nice ). so far shenanigans is the best but its an all you can eat deal and unless you can eat 20 roast potatoes etc its too much really,.as for cafe uno,.there was only one meat ( pork ) available ) portions not bad but service was barely adequate and the desert was served before the main course dishes had been taken off the table,...taliking of the desert i had rhubarb pie and custard, well thats what i ordered, in reality i got a pastry pie with a milky liquid on it,., sorry but we wont be back, :o

Edited by imaneggspurt

Well after trying cafe uno in soi kao noi yesterday we are yet to find a decent roast dinner locally, any ideas ?,( brussel sprouts would be nice ). so far shenanigans is the best but its an all you can eat deal and unless you can eat 20 roast potatoes etc its too much really,.as for cafe uno,.there was only one meat ( pork ) available ) portions not bad but service was barely adequate and the desert was served before the main course dishes had been taken off the table,...taliking of the desert i had rhubarb pie and custard, well thats what i ordered, in reality i got a pastry pie with a milky liquid on it,., sorry but we wont be back, :o

please,please, tell me where they serve brussels sprouts with the roast dinner,so that i never ever darken their doors. a food ,truly given to us by the devil in hel_l. :D

please,please, tell me where they serve brussels sprouts with the roast dinner,so that i never ever darken their doors. a food ,truly given to us by the devil in hel_l. :D

Its funny isnt it, as kid i hated them ! ,now i love them, there is a joke in the uk that kids will eat snot, but they will NOT eat brussels ! :D

Its funny isnt it, as kid i hated them ! ,now i love them, there is a joke in the uk that kids will eat snot, but they will NOT eat brussels ! :D

You can buy Brussel Sprouts anywhere in Thailand. They call them Cabbage sprouts. When I lived in Pattaya I bought them at Foodland. Now I live in Korat and I buy them either at Macro, or a Thai market.

If your talking about an English roast like on Sunday, try Palmers Soi 13/4.

Barry

i think I have tried pretty much everywhere that looks half decent in Pattaya for a British Sunday Roast and I have come to the conclusion that all of them leave something to be desired. Shenanigans is not too bad because it has Roast Turkey, but its often stone cold and the vegtables are just nasty. Gregs Kitchen is quite OK as well but all of the others I tend to avoid for one reason or another. I have also tried the Courtyward and its pretty good but I have just accepted that everyones idea of what constitutes a top Roast dinner is so individual that I am never going to get exactly what I want unless I cook it myself. I was going to try that Cafe Uno but I think I will pass on it now and just get my Delia Smith cookbook out and train the maid in how to do it :o

To me its not difficult and a roast should consist of perfectly cooked succulent meat (i.e Roast beef slightly pink), Properly cooked roast potatoes with a crisp outside (i.e. not deep fried dung that almost everywhere serves), perfectly soft inside. A good selection of steamed vegetables, a freshly cooked Yorkshire pud and real gravy made from the meat juices and stock. Its not rocket science but I have never yet found it and I think I have tried everywhere. Personally I would have no issue with waiting another 15 minutes while some things are freshly prepared (i.e the Yorkshire pudding) but as I say, everyone seems to end up trying to cut corners to save a few baht or otherwise has no real idea of what they are doing.

^ Bloody hel_l you mean to say you managed to eat something else in the same day as a Courtyard beef dinner, you must be a big eater. :D

I tried the beef dinner for the first time yesterday which was great but there was so much beef I couldn't eat another thing all day and I'm a big guy (120 KG+).

I'm glad I tried the beef yesterday but IMHO my order of preference for their Sunday dinners would be

1 Lamb - absolutely delicious and great value considering the price of lamb in Thailand

2 Chicken - see it was back on the menu yesterday and is hopefully there to stay

3 Beef - Obscene amount of meat :o

4 Pork - had it once but to me this was the blandest of their Sunday dinners but saying that a lot better than other efforts that can be found.

Will try their fish and chips sometime this week - probably after I've managed to get rid of the beef....

Look at the link below and the posts before it for a lowdown on where to find the best roast dinner in pattaya IMO and many others, especially if you like lamb.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2257815

You will only get Yorkshire pudding with the beef but as for vegetables you do get a few brussel sprouts as well as carrots, brocolli, green bean, pumpkin, cauliflower and absolutely delicious roast carrots and a load of roast potatoes (not deep fried by the way :o )

Also the gravy I would assume is home made as there is no way in hel_l is it Bisto that's for sure.

This place is well worth a try if you like your roasts and if youre going for a beer then it's a great place for a drink as the prices are very cheap and there's a very nice drinking area outside the back of the building as well as the AC'd bar inside.

i think I have tried pretty much everywhere that looks half decent in Pattaya for a British Sunday Roast and I have come to the conclusion that all of them leave something to be desired. Shenanigans is not too bad because it has Roast Turkey, but its often stone cold and the vegtables are just nasty. Gregs Kitchen is quite OK as well but all of the others I tend to avoid for one reason or another. I have also tried the Courtyward and its pretty good but I have just accepted that everyones idea of what constitutes a top Roast dinner is so individual that I am never going to get exactly what I want unless I cook it myself. I was going to try that Cafe Uno but I think I will pass on it now and just get my Delia Smith cookbook out and train the maid in how to do it :o

To me its not difficult and a roast should consist of perfectly cooked succulent meat (i.e Roast beef slightly pink), Properly cooked roast potatoes with a crisp outside (i.e. not deep fried dung that almost everywhere serves), perfectly soft inside. A good selection of steamed vegetables, a freshly cooked Yorkshire pud and real gravy made from the meat juices and stock. Its not rocket science but I have never yet found it and I think I have tried everywhere. Personally I would have no issue with waiting another 15 minutes while some things are freshly prepared (i.e the Yorkshire pudding) but as I say, everyone seems to end up trying to cut corners to save a few baht or otherwise has no real idea of what they are doing.

Sounds to me like all the ingreidents for a new eating establishment run by yourself !,.please let us know as soon as its up and running, sounds delicious ! :D

Thanks for the recommendation for The Courtyard (and for the directions how to get there). Had dinner there last night with some friends and everyone enjoyed it. Parking in front was full when we got there so parked on the street which wasn't a problem. Very reasonably priced. By the time we got there they only had a few roast dinners left so next time I'd get there earlier to try the lamb. I settled for the fisherman's pie which was nice, but not great in all honesty - a bit bland. Bit weird though, they asked me if I wanted a jacket potato or rice with it. I was expecting it to come topped with mash and assumed then that it didn't so asked if I could have mash instead of the JP or rice. Sure enough it came topped in mash with a side portion of mash and peas. Fair enough - live and learn. No complaints about the size of the pie. Shan't be eating mash for the rest of the week though.

Those who managed to get the roast dinners said they were really good. I agree with previous posters about the lighting in the air-conditioned section - it's a bit stark. On the bright side it made it easy to read the menu. Will definitely return but will make a point of getting there earlier and sitting outside.

Sounds to me like all the ingreidents for a new eating establishment run by yourself !,.please let us know as soon as its up and running, sounds delicious ! :D

The Courtyard is very popular with all of us familiar with restaurants on the Darkside. The Sunday roast dinners are nearin legendary status. You have your choice of pork, lamb, or beef. You can choose roasted or mashed potatoes. All come with a soup or salad starter, and a small plate of fresh fruit for desert. Pretty tough to beat, IMO. (And, no, Digger and I are NOT co-owners!) :-)

Again I will mention the Caddy Shack - not perfect but pretty gooh

Home-made yorkshire pud, all the trimmings - horseradish with the beef, so on.

The brussels are frozes - which takes away dome of the pleasure - which is strange, 'cos the fresh ones are best picked when they are frozen. Christmas morning - told to leave my new toys alone and go down the garden to pick a bucket of sprouts. Ice on every one of 'em - can't get hold of them in gloves, so frozen hands, chilblains, all the joys of Christmas.

You should pay a visit to the seaside resturant at the bottom of Soi 7. I've been here af ew years and tried various sunday lunch estabilshments.

If I want a good British sunday lunch I always end up there.

Good service, good food & the price is right.

Yorkshire mini puds everyday.

Cheers

The Courtyard is very popular with all of us familiar with restaurants on the Darkside. The Sunday roast dinners are nearin legendary status. You have your choice of pork, lamb, or beef. You can choose roasted or mashed potatoes. All come with a soup or salad starter, and a small plate of fresh fruit for desert. Pretty tough to beat, IMO. (And, no, Digger and I are NOT co-owners!) :-)

Yes I would agree its quite OK but its not and never will be excellent - they just dont understand how to cook a roast potato or gravy and its not rocket science. The meat was quite OK just that the whole thing did not come together as it should do. And by the way, I would agree it is the best of the darkside places I have tried but really its far from perfect but maybe thats just me. I have equally never found anywhere in BKK that delivers a definative and well crafted Sunday lunch either. Having said that I am probably in the minority of people willing to pay a premium for an outstanding Sunday lunch - as I say I have never yet found it in Thailand.

you failed to mention that the potatoes should be boiled for a few minutes first ,this gives them a lovely crisp coat when roasted .by the way villa market does nice fresh parsnips ,if a little pricey.

Edited by thaimate

Having said that I am probably in the minority of people willing to pay a premium for an outstanding Sunday lunch - as I say I have never yet found it in Thailand.

Digger,I heard a rumour that Manhattans are about to start/have started doing a Sunday roast for around 6 or 7 hundred baht.

If I was going into town for a roast I would still go to the Sportsman's, Soi 13, but it'll be interesting to see if the food is better at Manhattans

Robins Nest on Soi Diana serves a good Roast Lunch.

Not just good....fantastic. All you can eat.

...and it's not just for lunch. The deal extends all day through to dinner. If you go for lunch you can be assured of getting lamb but it is usually in short supply at dinner time.

Robins Nest has a wonderful menu for many other delicious meals too, all reasonably priced.