The Dark Side

paul1970

you really didn't get my point, a previous person had said it was "something special" and it certainly is not that, its OK

I don't think anybody has claimed that RT is gourmet cuisine, and therefore, are not using the term "something special" in that sense. It is special in the sense that the food is of good quality and taste, portions are generous, service is good, and prices are very reasonable.

Mata Hari then you will know what i mean about "somewhere special"

Mata Hari is indeed a very nice place but the thread is about restaurants on the Farside. Pratunak Hill is definitely not on the Farside.

Price-points are also not comparable..."apples to apples" and all that...

a great host with charm and character...will inform you of any specials that are on offer and make you feel relaxed and welcome...

As has been pointed out, the man with his head in the paper owns RT in partnership with his wife. He works outside of Thailand and returns during his work downtown and visits and eats there sometimes. He is NOT an employee of the restaurant and surely doesn't have a work-permit for Thailand. Therefore, it would be illegal for him to act as a host and "meet and greet" restaurant patrons and inform them of any daily specials!

Instead of writing of things of which you have little knowledge, I recommend that you return to you primary duty of serving your mistress :o

Edited by NotNew2You

If you like some german food : Gulash Soup-Sausages-Meatloaf-Meatballs-Fishfilet... served with bread or roast potatoes or potato salad, prices between 70 and 130 Thb, there is a new place just before the~Rung Thip~ on the right side coming from Sukhumvit, the name of the place is ~Miau's Imbiss~' in fact it's a Mom & Pop shop attented mostly(of course) by germans.Miau speaks german and thai and a little english.

If you like some german food : Gulash Soup-Sausages-Meatloaf-Meatballs-Fishfilet... served with bread or roast potatoes or potato salad, prices between 70 and 130 Thb, there is a new place just before the~Rung Thip~ on the right side coming from Sukhumvit, the name of the place is ~Miau's Imbiss~' in fact it's a Mom & Pop shop attented mostly(of course) by germans.Miau speaks german and thai and a little english.

will give this one a test ride asap! :o

There is on Soi Nurn Plub Wan an Austrian place. Way up the road maybe 500 m before you come to the T-Junction at the end. They serve Southern German and Austrian food, rather cheap and not too bad...was there ony once, though.

Last night we ate at Sure Park. I know there have been some negative reviews posted, but my friends and I love it. None of us have ever had mosquito problems and we think the food is delicious. Anyway, my reason for this post is not to get into a debate over whether the food is good, but to let everyone know that the live band is no longer there. I asked what happened to the band and was told that when the contract ran out, so did the band. I was also told there are no immediate plans to hire another band because during low season it's difficult to afford to pay for a band when the restaurant isn't getting all that many customers.

On Soi Khaonoi,between the Paradise Bar and the Villa Supermarket there is a new pizerria called

~Slices PIZZA~,not sure if open yet.

Unfortunately, Khaonoi is not on my usual routes now. They've had the road closed to "through traffic" for autos for MONTHS. Four wheeled vehicles can't get past the RR "relief roads" ( :o ) in either direction. Khaonoi used to be my favorite route up to Sukhumvit from my Wat Suttawat area location, because the traffic was much lighter than on either "Motorbike hel_l" (Nernplubwarn) or Khao Talo. But the idiot road crew has eliminated it as option for god knows how much longer!

Slices PIZZA~,not sure if open yet.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's open.

Crappy pizza but cheap if you just want to fill the gut before a nite of drinking on Khow noi :o there are a couple outlets in pattaya proper...used to be pretty good but after got know...greatly cut down on quality and slice size

Lost track...did anyone mention the Finish guy next to the minimart where they sell the excellent noodle soup in the evening on Soi Siam Country Club already?

Anyways...smoked salmon, smoked mackerel, good salads and best: WARM applecake with vanilla ice cream and coffee

Funny thing is the owner of this franchise is a falang chef, so he should know how to make a proper pizza.

Still trying to work out why he bought a franchise. :D

...maybe a Yank?

ducking and hiding.... :o

Lost track...did anyone mention the Finish guy next to the minimart where they sell the excellent noodle soup in the evening on Soi Siam Country Club already?

Anyways...smoked salmon, smoked mackerel, good salads and best: WARM applecake with vanilla ice cream and coffee

Can you clarify what you're talking about? Where on Soi Country Club is this minimart?

Can you clarify what you're talking about? Where on Soi Country Club is this minimart?

:o

I admit it was not my best directions...

Driving up from Sukhumvit on the left side before you reach Chollada. There is that Finish Place between a Somtam Shop and a minimart and in front of the Minimart is in evenings that noodle guy.

On Soi Khaonoi,between the Paradise Bar and the Villa Supermarket there is a new pizerria called

~Slices PIZZA~,not sure if open yet.

Nope not open yet, opens 1st August

Unfortunately, Khaonoi is not on my usual routes now. They've had the road closed to "through traffic" for autos for MONTHS. Four wheeled vehicles can't get past the RR "relief roads" ( :o ) in either direction. Khaonoi used to be my favorite route up to Sukhumvit from my Wat Suttawat area location, because the traffic was much lighter than on either "Motorbike hel_l" (Nernplubwarn) or Khao Talo. But the idiot road crew has eliminated it as option for god knows how much longer!

Hopefully should be back open in the next few days

Slices PIZZA~,not sure if open yet.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's open.

No, not open yet...Lights on, nobody in.

The owner is fromScotland and is called Colin, been in the catering industry for 26 years...I, like Raro do not understand why he needed a franchise?

________________________________________________________________________________

________

A new place to look out for is Cafe Uno on Soi Khao Noi, not officially open yet but snacks and drinks are available. At present fresh ground coffee/Expresso/Cappuccino/Latte @ 40 baht and fresh Panini sandwiches with either Tuna, Chicken, Ham or Fillet steak, starting from 110 baht.

However, when this place opens you will find a menu with a mediterranean feel, a lso daily specials Bistro'esque...Cafe Uno will serve food that is freshly prepared and home-made. I had one of the Chefs home-made Beefburgers with a red onion relish 2 days ago on a toasted bun, once Uno opens and they serve their burgers with REAL hand cut chips this will be a weekly purchase for me!!!

It is aircon on the inside with a terrace area outside, they have free wifi to customers and all in all a nice gaff.

It opens 4pm-10pm for the moment but hours will be 10am - 10pm from August

• 2 weeks later...
There is a new restaurant at Nern Plub Waan Plaza. I think its called "Andrea's Place".

If this is the place in the back corner near the animal hospital...it's now new. It has been there over a year and the food is not bad. Never anyone there, however so the place is kinda had a dead feel about it.

Had a beer in the Butterfly bar the other day for the first time.

was ok, until the plastic Norwegian bikers came in.

on there Hardly Davison’s. :o

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can you taste and savour now at the Butterfly? :D:D

was at Sure Park the other night and had the pepper steak. Very good, but still the steaks at Maneken Piss are the best in the area!

I also had a glass of the house wine but it is best avoided. :o

The Butterfly has free food on Tuesdays - can't vouch as to quality :o

The girls tell me that the place is packed, so i asked them if they did good "business". Apparently not, as most of the diners stayed with one bottle of soda and ate their guts out.

(Should be a cross link to the "price of a drink" thread) :D

Well, I tried the Pan Pan and the Ticino. While Pan Pan caters more to the Thai palate (thick pizzas and overcooked pasta) you get the real Italian thing at Ticino.

Ticinos oil and garlic pasta which my wife tried were nice, according to original recipe and al dente. Yet for me - a non-garlicer - a no no. I had my first ossobuccho (simmered shank of veal) in more than 20 years and it was more than yammi! The same goes for a dish with diced beef tenderloin on a (secretive) mustard sauce and pasta with asparagus. Delicious and never eaten before. The garden, the service and the setting just make it a lovely place to enjoy with friends.

^Ticino is nice in all respects and they have beer Lao as well.....the only complaint is that the pizzas are <deleted>....Thin(which is good) but crispy on the outskirts and soggy as a wet rag in the middle and it just falls apart....it is not up to par with the rest of their menu, which is excellent.

Well, I tried the Pan Pan and the Ticino. While Pan Pan caters more to the Thai palate (thick pizzas and overcooked pasta).

At Pan Pan, you really have to pick and choose...some things are good and some should be avoided. I too do not like their pizzas very much. I do like their penne modenese...it's not a very Italian dish...more like an American style macaroni and cheese dish. But if you are American, it's great. Most of the sliced-pork entrées are pretty good too...including the pork in "special" vinegar (it's a balsamic vinegar sauce). Yummy...especailly if the potatoes that night are mashed. Also, their cakes and ice cream are some of the best in Pattaya...and the ice-cream is home-made (you can see their ice cream factory right outside near the pizza oven area.

There is a new restaurant at Nern Plub Waan Plaza. I think its called "Andrea's Place".

If this is the place in the back corner near the animal hospital...it's now new. It has been there over a year and the food is not bad. Never anyone there, however so the place is kinda had a dead feel about it.

no it is in the front on the left side near to the enter of the badmintont

If you want to drink a well served beer or other consumption at a cheap price and have a chat with an english gentleman (still exist) there is a place called ~Mini Market~on Soi Nerplubwann, right side coming from Sukhumvit just before the soi going to the DaoCafe.

You can also have all kind of Lay's and other snacks :o

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a quick question for you darksiders... where is the best place to get a cup of coffee early in the morning? I'm trying to locate a good place for coffee between 6am-8am. While I enjoy Kiss, the coffee leaves a lot to be desired.

Thoughts?

Chonlada Coffee Shop. It's located 1.5 kms past the intersection of Soi Siam CC, and Nongprue Road (flashing yellow light). Just continue east beyond Kiss. You'll come to the noted intersection about 2 kms down the road. Chonlada is on the right side. You'll have to U-turn to park in front. The owners, Yu and Pook, are very nice people. Pook, the young lady, speaks very good English. Her husband, Yu, speaks some English. Coffee served is Mokodor (Italian), and most people rate it highly. Good breakfasts there as well.

I've got a quick question for you darksiders... where is the best place to get a cup of coffee early in the morning? I'm trying to locate a good place for coffee between 6am-8am. While I enjoy Kiss, the coffee leaves a lot to be desired.

Thoughts?

Chonlada Coffee Shop. It's located 1.5 kms past the intersection of Soi Siam CC, and Nongprue Road (flashing yellow light). Just continue east beyond Kiss. You'll come to the noted intersection about 2 kms down the road. Chonlada is on the right side. You'll have to U-turn to park in front. The owners, Yu and Pook, are very nice people. Pook, the young lady, speaks very good English. Her husband, Yu, speaks some English. Coffee served is Mokodor (Italian), and most people rate it highly. Good breakfasts there as well.

thank you very much. would you happen to know what time Chonlada opens up? I drove past there this morning around 7am and it appeared dark. yeah?