Passport For My Thai Child

My fiancée is expecting our first Child in April this year. Our child will be born in Thailand, but I would like to register my child for a British passport, my fiancée is Thai and I’m British and so are my parents. I looked on the British Embassy website and the documentation I need to show them is my British passport and my long birth certificate. But the problem I have is that I’m adopted and I only have a small length birth certificate. So I spoke to Registrar office in the UK and they said that all I would need is my adoption certificate which they sent me. So I’m writing to just to clarify if this is the case as I don’t want to go all the way to Thailand and then find out different. Could anyone please advise me on this matter?

Many thanks

cfrmatt

Even if you had not been born British "otherwise than by descent", your adoption by a British couple would have made you so. I would say that your adoption certificate is fine, but perhaps clarify this with the embassy consular section prior to travelling.

I really don't know about such matters, but is it also possible to get hold of your original birth certificate? Which document did you use when you applied for your first British passport?

Scouse.

Even if you had not been born British "otherwise than by descent", your adoption by a British couple would have made you so. I would say that your adoption certificate is fine, but perhaps clarify this with the embassy consular section prior to travelling.

I really don't know about such matters, but is it also possible to get hold of your original birth certificate? Which document did you use when you applied for your first British passport?

Scouse.

Hi Scouse,

The document I used for my passport was my small copy of my birth certificate...I was also told that I cannot get a original birth certificate, as the details have changed after my adoption ie my name and the name of my parants. I will keep you informed as to how I get on.

Many thanks again

cfrmatt

Scouse.

Hi Scouse,

The document I used for my passport was my small copy of my birth certificate...I was also told that I cannot get a original birth certificate, as the details have changed after my adoption ie my name and the name of my parants. I will keep you informed as to how I get on.

Many thanks again

cfrmatt

I am not 100% certain about this, so I suppose I should just shut up but..., when my wife was expecting our first child she was, in fact, my girlfriend and after consultation with several local expats I was advised that, if I wanted to be absolutely sure of guaranteeing that my daughter would qualify for a British passport--regardless of my UK citizenship--then I would be better off if I was actually married to her mother-now you should check this out before doing anything rash; I can verify that on numerous occasions later on I have been asked to produce the original marriage certificate when applying for various bureaucratic papers--I note that you call your GF your 'fiancee' so it follows that this is something that you are considering.

That used to be the case, Haybilly, but changed on 1 July 2006, since when British fathers have been able to transmit their nationality to their offspring whether married or not.

Scouse.

Many thanks--I will pass it on when asked--shall keep your details in case of future ref.