Anyone Do Long Distance Rides Or 'touring' On Their Small Cc Thai Bikes?

submaniac

I was just curious how 'far' people are willing to go on their small, sub 200cc bikes. I was thinking of doing a ride from BKK to Pattaya on my 150cc Yamaha TZM. It's a two stroke, and I think it has got the power equivalent to a 250cc twin. I think it can keep up with any traffic I may run (though I am not going on the toll expressways because bikes are banned there anyways) into on the trip. But there has been so much talk about how you 'need' a big cc bike for long distance rides. In the States, yes I can see that because people cruise on the freeway at really high speeds, and you need the large displacement to pass and generally stay alive. In Thailand, it is difficult to find a spot where you really need the power. Even on the highways (non toll) the traffic doesn't seem that fast, and I would probably cruise on over into the slow lane anyways. I just wanted to know if anyone else did 'long distance' rides (100+ kilometers) on their small cc bikes--like the CBR, NSR, KRR, Steed, Phantom, etc.. Thanks.

I just went from Phuket-Bkk on my Phantom 200cc, so about 900kms... I took two days and stopped in Chumphon in the middle. It was an easy ride and I had no problems (except for a very numb ass), even though the Phantoms top speed was 120km/h. It was midweek and the highways were not busy. There are some crazy drivers around for sure, but I don't think you will have any troubles., like you said stay to the slow lane, and be careful. I saw many Thais' riding their scooters on the highways and some even looked like they were going long distances (with luggage strapped to the back).

The ride from Bkk-Pattaya is different but I have only taken the toll road in a car so I am not sure about the non-toll way.

Submaniac

I did Pattaya-Chiang Mai-Pattaya on my Cbr150. No problem at all. Also Pattaya-Ayyuhdya-Pattaya. That bike has all the power needed.

Rode a rental Honda 100 step-thru from Chiang Rai to the Lao border and back on same day. About 250Km. Flat out all day as there was little traffic. Don't know if I shortened it's life but I doubt it. :o It was a wonderful ride and I remember it as my best bike outing in Thailand! Great roads up North.

Roads around Pattaya and Bangkok are not the best. Too many heavy vehicles to pass. You get coated in diesel crap as well.

Almost every bike seat will give you a sore butt if you don't get off fairly regularly to stretch out. Hydrate. It's hot in the sun all day. This will also encourage you to stop.

Just remembered reading about a fellow who went all over Thailand on a Honda 125. This was from GT-Rider.Those step-thru seats are actually quite comfy.

Anyway, if people can bicycle thru Thailand (many have done it), a motorbike is even easier. No peddling!!

The longest I've done was Phuket to Ranong and back on the same day on a Yamaha Nouvo, a total of about 600 kms.

I wouldn't recommend this type of distance on the same day, I couldn't move my neck for about 2 days afterwards although the weather didn't help because it was quite wet and windy at points throughout the ride. The bike handled it with no problems at all.

I don't think you'll have any problems with BKK to Pattaya...

Hi :o

I have not yet done it in Thailand but the day will come where i will ride my Bulldozer, a Yamaha RXZ 135 two-stroke, to Chiang Mai (from Bangkok).

But in my native Germany i have often done trips of equal length on much smaller bikes - "mopeds" with 50cc and roughly 50-60 KM/h top speed. Many of those trips were NOT for leisure and one particular, a test drive, had me rip down 800 kilometers in a single day on one such 50cc moped, which was an almost 15-hour torture. I also regularly "burned down" the 500 kilometers required to run in new pistons in one trip/day. I went to Hannover and back (1,400 kilometers together) on an 80cc/80 KM/h bike and had no problems with that either. And every weekend i spent touring around, doing up to 1,000 kilometers (but with breaks and a night's rest).

Today, if i would not be confined to my office day-by-day and otherwise committed (i.e. if i were single and rich enough) i would probably cruise all over Thailand on my RXZ. You don't need big displacements to enjoy the ride, you only need big displacements when even on a leisure trip you are under stress and"have to be there at a certain time".

Ever heard about the guy who went from Germany to India on a "Mofa", that is 50cc 25 KM/h? And because he "enjoyed it so much" he went back the same way :D It's in the Guiness Book Of World Records.

And mentioning the U.S.A., i have never been there but isn't there a speed limit of 55 MPH? Which is roughly 90 or 95 KM/h. Why would you need a Harley-Davidson for that "really high speed"? My RXZ does that in sixth gear very comfortably cruising at quarter throttle and 4.000 rpm, it's in fact my "eco-speed" at which i do less than 2.5 liters per 100 KM. And that's a two-stroke!

With kind regards.....

THanh

I was just curious how 'far' people are willing to go on their small, sub 200cc bikes. I was thinking of doing a ride from BKK to Pattaya on my 150cc Yamaha TZM. It's a two stroke, and I think it has got the power equivalent to a 250cc twin. I think it can keep up with any traffic I may run (though I am not going on the toll expressways because bikes are banned there anyways) into on the trip. But there has been so much talk about how you 'need' a big cc bike for long distance rides. In the States, yes I can see that because people cruise on the freeway at really high speeds, and you need the large displacement to pass and generally stay alive. In Thailand, it is difficult to find a spot where you really need the power. Even on the highways (non toll) the traffic doesn't seem that fast, and I would probably cruise on over into the slow lane anyways. I just wanted to know if anyone else did 'long distance' rides (100+ kilometers) on their small cc bikes--like the CBR, NSR, KRR, Steed, Phantom, etc.. Thanks.
A friend of mine Hiko and a few others rode from pattaya to cambodia then on to vietnam on yamaha neuvos ! if pikey is reading this perhaps he could elaborate as i know it was written about on the GT-RIDER site, .Maaaaaaaaaaaad :o

I did Chennai to Mumbai via Bangalor Mangalore Goa etc in a 3 wheel auto rickshaw !!

IndianARC.com the motorsport for the clinically insane.. Probably doing one again next year and rickshaw rampage (taking one of these toys up into the Himalayas is another good event)..

http://flickr.com/photos/hanleybros/collec...57601363020904/

http://www.extremetrifle.com/3/monsoonmadness_index.php (thats us in the mexican wrestler masks)..

I wanted to start one in Thailand using the 3 wheel tuktuks but couldnt source a lease for 2 - 3 weeks..

Edited by LivinLOS

And mentioning the U.S.A., i have never been there but isn't there a speed limit of 55 MPH? Which is roughly 90 or 95 KM/h. Why would you need a Harley-Davidson for that "really high speed"? My RXZ does that in sixth gear very comfortably cruising at quarter throttle and 4.000 rpm, it's in fact my "eco-speed" at which i do less than 2.5 liters per 100 KM. And that's a two-stroke!

Well, on the speed limit, the 55mph is not quite right. The 55 mph speed limit was introduced in the 1970's for fuel economy during the OPEC embargo. It was raised in the late 1980's, and is around 70 to 75 mph (the individual states set their speed limit, like California does 70mph while Arizona does 75)mph. While the speed limit is 70mph, in reality most people drive 80mph and the cops usually let it go (unless they are trying to meet a ticket quota). So when some clown changes lane directly into you at 85mph, THAT is when I want displacement so I can crack the throttle and quickly out accelerate whatever is coming at me. On the 150cc bikes, that would probably be near their top speed (I'd estimate about 95-100mph) anyways, and it's not giving you enough wiggle room for sudden acceleration. In Thailand, people just generally do not drive that fast where I'd need the extra space on top for acceleration, so I would think that the 150cc (especially if it is two stroke) would be sufficient. :o

I have traveled a lot around Thailand on my Honda Wave 125cc. We live 120km from the nearest town so I do that return journey every couple of weeks. I have done the return journey for a visa run to Mae sot a few times in one day which was over 700km. I have done a lot of trips to Lopburi recently which is 370KM from my home. I have made the 380km trip to Chiang Mai quite a few times. Today I'm in Ayutthaya and need to make the 400km+ journey back to my home in Chat Trakan Phitsanulok. I have traveled to lots of other places around Thailand also.

Just got done on a three week tour of Issarn. Bangkok-Buri Ram- Mukdahon-Roi Et- Ubon Rachatani-Udon Thani-Nong Kai- Koen Kahn

About 3500 kilometers on my Phantom (200ccs of raw power). It was a great trip, very comfortable. Cant wait to get back out on the road.

A few notes.

It is extremely dangerous, all sorts of strange things on the road from sleeping dogs to iron buffaloes cranking along at top speed of 1.234 kph. Only, and I mean ONLY drive during daylight hours. Goggles help a lot, lots of crap blown up on the road. Keep the sun off you, it feels good and seems cool when you are moving but in reality that sun is giving your lily white the what for.

Rubber side down.

I have a friend who for many years lived three months in Malaysia and three months in Thailand. He would come to Thailand on his Honda 125, the bike was a Malaysian bike, I have not seen the same bike in Thailand, he called it a taxi bike. Anyway he would drive it all over Thailand, from the Malaysian border up to the Burmese border in the far north. He drove it up and down mountains, everywhere. He would do this for three months and then go back to Malaysia. He did this from age 55 to about 68. Then he met a girl and settled in Thailand and his long distance bike riding days were over. He is over 80 now and I am sure he would love to resume his long distance bike rides, but now has health problems. Issangeorge.

I ran 500 km in 6 hours on my CBR 150R. That was round Nakhon Sawan Province, down through Tak, To Suphan Buri, and back up through Chai Nat. Obviously my butt was hating me at the end, but I took plenty of breaks for smokes and just taking in the sights, so all in all it was worth it.

I have a friend who for many years lived three months in Malaysia and three months in Thailand. He would come to Thailand on his Honda 125, the bike was a Malaysian bike, I have not seen the same bike in Thailand, he called it a taxi bike. Anyway he would drive it all over Thailand, from the Malaysian border up to the Burmese border in the far north. He drove it up and down mountains, everywhere. He would do this for three months and then go back to Malaysia. He did this from age 55 to about 68. Then he met a girl and settled in Thailand and his long distance bike riding days were over. He is over 80 now and I am sure he would love to resume his long distance bike rides, but now has health problems. Issangeorge.

Lord, what a fantastic story. Could the gentleman concerned be prepared to put pencil (finger) to paper (keyboard).

In 2006 I completed a 38 day 7600 km circumnavigation of Thailand on a 125cc Honda Dream scooter. It ran flawlessly ... from 40 plus degrees and wide open throttle on the highway to climbing mountain switchbacks in pouring rain.

Avg distance / day ~ 380 kms

Longest " / " ~ 640 kms (ouch)

Rest days ~ about nine

Avg speed ~ 85 -90 km / hr

Avg economy ~ 90 mpg

Maintenance ~ Replaced chain and sprockets @ 11,500 klms

Punctures ~ nil

Best rides ~ Burma border run from Mae Sariang and the eerily quiet roads Loei to Nan.

Friendliest Locals ~ Ranong ... lots of smiles waves toots and hospitality extended in this part of the world.

Average daily spent ~ 550 to 650 baht (accomodation 250 - 400 per night)

How common is it that you get pulled over by the cops for mc-reg and licence check in "non-touristareas" ? :o

And is it easy to talk your way out of the situation(i dont have a driing licence), or should i just let my wallet do the talking ?

I ride my bike everyday and have traveled all over the country. I had my ID checked twice in almost six years. I paid a fine once for no helmet or license.

sounds good, no worries then, come to think of it i have only had my licence checked once in pattaya :o

I did the I did the full northern loops on a Yamaha RX 125. Then continued on from Chiang Mai down to Kanchanaburi, across to Pattaya via BKK. returned via Loei and across. Did it on my own with no real schedule. Many stops along the way. Priceless memories.

It was a rotten old rental bike. I'm pretty sure it was called an RX 125. I only see them nowadays attached to soup stands. Drove it full throttle all the time. Only one breakdown in a "town" I don't remember the name of (around Uttaradit somewhere). It was just around dark and a family of locals took me in. I think they were trying to protect me from the drunken policeman who was the only other person around. They took me the next day to the nearest real town for some new clutch plates. I'm sure I would have been stuck if I was on anything exotic.

The bike rental guy asked me where I'd been when I returned. He looked aghast when I told him I had been to Udon and back. Odometer was broken. No need to go through the hassle of the truth. The bike couldn't have been worth more than 8000 baht. I paid 150/day.

The more rotten the bike, the more humor the Thais found in the situation. I recall motor bike taxi drivers in BKK doubling over in laughter when I told them I them I had driven from Chiang Mai. Initial disbelief turned to laughter when they saw the plates.

Well worth the adventure. Not sure I would recommend a scooter though. Not very safe.

quote]A friend of mine Hiko and a few others rode from pattaya to cambodia then on to vietnam on yamaha neuvos ! if pikey is reading this perhaps he could elaborate as i know it was written about on the GT-RIDER site, .Maaaaaaaaaaaad :o

Hiko's Nuovo trip trying to get into Vietnam is here

Edited by davidgtr

A while ago I rode my 2 stroke Phantom around the South of Thailand from Bangkok in three weeks as a cultural holiday. Hua Hin to Don Sak in a day (including puncture in Chumphon - 2 hour delay). Samui, Phangnan, NST, Songhkla, Trang, Krabi, Phuket, Ranong. From there back to Bangkok in a day (raining all the way up to Prachuap Kiri Khan). Apart from one puncture, a sore bum and my big-end going, marvellous!

Doesn't matter how small or big it is - use it! Pleanty of bars/cafes/hotels wherever you are going...

8 years ago, I went to Issan on a sonic 125cc....but I cheated by doing the long run thru the boring flatlands on the train. cost of MC on train was minimal and we were together for the duration. Then in Korat, I took off for the Mighty Maekong and followed it up to Nong Kai, doing an average of 250k/day...taking my time and enjoying the scenery and people. Upon my departure from Nong Kai and heading out of town, I hit a dog that sent me and motorcycle flying and turned a flip in the air and the MC ended up on top of me and i ended up in hospital. Dog ended up on a bar-b-q. And i had to call a truck to bring me and MC back to CM. My last long trip on a small motorcycle!! Now, only short runs to the local markets and use 4 wheels for anything over 10K.

thai definition of a car is 'metal around meat'

thai definition of a motorcycle is 'meat around metal'