Housing Advice

cmsally

A friend of mine is looking to rent or maybe buy a house and she quite likes Lanna Pinery.

However we took a drive around there and there seemed to be quite a few houses for sale (and rent, but mostly sale).

Is there a reason for this ie something she should know about before plunging in, or is this a general thing in the housing market. It's been about 2 yrs since I was in this development when friends were renting and I don't seem to remember so many signs.

Has anything changed just in this development or the property market in general.

Any info gratefully received as she seems to quite like it there.

Security would be important for her as she would be away a lot.

Lanna Pinery is quite a good estate. Housing sales to foreigners are shall we say somewhat slowish, their interest really is in condos these days, but suppose the Thai market is moving ok. Pinery used to have the obligatory sleeping guard that a Harley wouldn't wake on the gate when I lived there many years ago, seems they take IDs now so that may have improved. Facilities and location are quite ok.

Lanna Pinery is on the canal road (CM-HangDong) near the Samoeng intersection.

It's quite a nice estate, no one seems to have come up with any particular problems , so I am guessing the property market is just very slow at the moment and there are probably lots of properties for sale everywhere.

We saw a couple of for rent signs but mostly for sale, but I would say worth taking a look.

I know, friends who rented there 2-3yrs ago paid 15k/month (smallish house, not much garden) but whether prices being asked now are similar I don't know.

I used to live there. I would consider it a second tier Moo Bahn. Would much prefer Home in Park another couple k's farther out. Bahn Ni Fun a couple k's in the other direction is of course another very nice Moo Bahn. The houses in lanna pinery aren't the best quality (there are a few gems though). The security is laughable. The club house facilities are ridiculous. There's a small pool and a run down tennis court.

For Lanna Pinery, note that there's a difference in desirability between the older houses (the sois closest to the Canal Road) where houses are very close to each other, and the newer areas.

So other than just the development, take care in picking the house itself and it's positioning, the neighbours, etc.

I am guessing the property market is just very slow at the moment and there are probably lots of properties for sale everywhere.

I learned today from a real estate broker that sales of houses to foreigners dropped significantly following the coup and have been slow since, in part, at least, because of concerns about whether ownership arrangements used by foreigners to own houses here would necessarily be respected in all cases. Sales to foreigners of condos, ownership of which does not raise the same issues and risks, apparently have been doing very well by comparison.

I used to live there. I would consider it a second tier Moo Bahn. Would much prefer Home in Park another couple k's farther out. Bahn Ni Fun a couple k's in the other direction is of course another very nice Moo Bahn. The houses in lanna pinery aren't the best quality (there are a few gems though). The security is laughable. The club house facilities are ridiculous. There's a small pool and a run down tennis court.

That's interesting I never thought of Home in Park as more upmarket. I will tell her to take a look, certainly a possibility now that the road has been finished along there - what a difference!

• 1 year later...
I am guessing the property market is just very slow at the moment and there are probably lots of properties for sale everywhere.

I learned today from a real estate broker that sales of houses to foreigners dropped significantly following the coup and have been slow since, in part, at least, because of concerns about whether ownership arrangements used by foreigners to own houses here would necessarily be respected in all cases. Sales to foreigners of condos, ownership of which does not raise the same issues and risks, apparently have been doing very well by comparison.

As I understand things a foreigner cannot buy, they can buy the house but not the land it stands on - scarry?

Daveybabe