What age are you required to get a Thai ID card?

Thanks George.....

We live in Australia so would we be be required to apply for a ID Card at local Consulate for the boys.

My wife and 2 boys are still thai citizens at present.  I will leave it up to the boys to decided if they want to change to

Australian citizenship up or not.

Just think it's something they should think about and have a say in rather than just making it for them.  And there is no great rush for them to decide.

Just one more thing if my wife becomes a Australian citizen will she be able to buy/ own land in Thailand ?

Thanks once again for your time and  the information

Bintang

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

when overseas, it is not necessary to have a Thai ID card unless you are moving permanently back to Thailand. While in Thailand for short trips, the passport is a valid alternative to the ID card.

If you are resident overseas and need to get a Thai passport, you can easily get one just by proving your thai citizenship. I did this through showing my Thai birth certificate and proving that my mother was a thai citizen. Other requirements are waived.

On the "remarks and observation" pages of the passport, it is worthwhile asking if you can get some sort of stamp/note saying that the bearer of the passport is resident and registered at a Thai embassy overseas.

Well at least that is how it works in Canberra....