Thai Girls Abroad

upcountryboy

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to how long thai a wife or girlfriend remains in the country of their foreign husband or boyfriend before wanting to return to Thailand permanently.

Cheers

Edited by Reimar
change of the Subtitel to be more "friendly"

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to how long thai a wife or girlfriend remains in the country of their foreign husband or boyfriend before wanting to return to Thailand permanently.

Cheers

Too many factors involved to speculate.

Like:

The Country involved, what she left behind, the man she went with, the food , the weather, does she have children in Thailand that she will miss, friends, will she live in a city or a village with no other Thai people..etc etc.

My Friend bought his GF to Tokyo, she hated it and left after 2 weeks. Another friend took his wife to USA, visited Florida , Vegas, California etc.....she hated it and was happy to return to Thailand

All people are different.

Edited by Maigo6

Hi All,

Cheers

Depends on the husband/boyfriend.

cheers

onzestan

Hi All,

Cheers

No way you will get a perfect answer for this question.

Waiting to see who can.

Hi All,

Cheers

Too many factors involved to speculate.

Like:

The Country involved, what she left behind, the man she went with, the food , the weather, does she have children in Thailand that she will miss, friends, will she live in a city or a village with no other Thai people..etc etc.

My Friend bought his GF to Tokyo, she hated it and left after 2 weeks. Another friend took his wife to USA, visited Florida , Vegas, California etc.....she hated it and was happy to return to Thailand

All people are different.

Sure, "mine" stayed 22 years in Paris with me, but is now permanently back to Thailand ... with me !

You can't answer the question without making generalisations. But if we are saying it's ok to generalise, i would say that a lot of Thai girls don't travel well. The nature of the up-bringing that doesn't expose them to other cultures, cuisines and the like, make it hard for them to adjust. You take your chances. I would think though that if the girl actually wants to go the odds improve. If on the other hand they are just going to be with you, it's likely to be more difficult.

My wife has been here 10 years. She seems perfectly happy to be here although we are planning to retire to Thailand in a few years and we vacation there each year for now. That is as much my desire as anything but she is happy with that plan as well. She has a circle of Thai friends here. Most are long term...15 years plus and many came here after marrying US Serviceman who worked the airbases during the Vietnam War. Most of them still visit Thailand every few years but they have all raised families here now.

Her Thainess has now been in Oz about 3.5 years. Last year she went home for 3 months. 2 months in, she started asking when she could come back to Oz. Seems someone has gotten use to having a stove, oven, microwave, washing machine, electric blanket... all the useful things not many houses in the village have - if any.

As has has been said. It depends on many factors. My wife has been in Oz for nearly 2 years and loves it. After only a month here i said that we would retire in LOS. Her answer was, Why? She thinks that Oz has more oportunities that Thailand. She does miss family and friends. But loves our life here. We plan on going back later this year for a holiday.

You'll also find that some Thai's will like farang countries so much that they want to stay there permanently.

This is a problem because the farang will want to retire to Thailand. The usual age differences will come into play here.

You'll also find that some Thai's will like farang countries so much that they want to stay there permanently.

This is a problem because the farang will want to retire to Thailand. The usual age differences will come into play here.

My wife is 2 years older than me. BTW i have a long way to go before i retire. :o

Her Thainess has now been in Oz about 3.5 years. Last year she went home for 3 months. 2 months in, she started asking when she could come back to Oz. Seems someone has gotten use to having a stove, oven, microwave, washing machine, electric blanket... all the useful things not many houses in the village have - if any.

Not sure how much use electric blankets would be in Thailand... unless you live up in the mountains.

No doubt an unanswerable question. However, life in the western world will open many doors that were somewhat restricted in SE Asian society. Could mena an opportunity to make money for them if the are educated and enterprising and want to work. Could be boring for them, if they have poor language skills and are not "adoptable" to the new society. Quite a mixed bag really. Boredom may lead to other "diversions".

My wife is 2 years older than me. BTW i have a long way to go before i retire. :o

To add to that, it also depends on your goals. Your goal maybe to retire to a warm country where the cost of living is favourable

to where you come from, and live the remainder of your life in relative luxury. Her goal maybe to remove herself and her family from poverty to a developed country and all the trappings that that brings.

Pretty hard to generalize.

My now wife came to Europe each year(2x) for 3 months before we married. So she had a good idea of what it was like here. There are so many other Thai's here, the grocery stores get fresh Thai vegtables flown in 2x weekly, there is a Thai Wat here, etc.... She loves it here.

But we do go back yearly on vacation.

Granted I can't imagine a Thai woman moving to like Norway/Finland where it's ice cold in the winter, no sunshine during the day, etc. That would take one very strong woman to survive and one very strong relationship....

To add to that, it also depends on your goals. Your goal maybe to retire to a warm country where the cost of living is favourable

to where you come from, and live the remainder of your life in relative luxury. Her goal maybe to remove herself and her family from poverty to a developed country and all the trappings that that brings.

Quite so. Many guys love the fact that their teerak so readily followed them home and so easily adapted to their home culture. For me though that readiness might suggest that you simply served as a means to an end. Either that or she really does love you and would follow you to the ends of the earth. I'm sure we all believe the latter until divorce comes a knocking.

As a Thai who has lived in the UK since 2005 with an English other half, I wouldn't say I love it here but it's not bad and I don't want to move back to Thailand. We visit Thailand about twice a year but I can say that the only thing that keeps me going back is my parents. Without them I would rather spend more time visiting other countries. MrE2B definitely does not want to live in the UK forever but also does not want to move to Thailand. It'll be a while til we start thinking about moving and it's more likely to be a third country.. wherever that might be. We visited Sydney earlier this year and really liked it, maybe that might be the place but who knows ;-)

I suppose I was a bit lucky because I never had any language or cultural problem when I arrived and was quick to integrate. Having a job does help a bit as well as it keeps me occupied thus less time to think about parents.

Depends why they go in the first place - if its to study at uni or work then no prob's but if its in a relationship that is all about the wrong reasons, then I think its a good test - because they quickly get tired of it - especialy if its a cold climate.

As many have mentioned before it depends on the woman and many other factors.

Culture shock plays a big part in this and the ability to adapt.You can ask yourself as a farang how can you last so long in Thailand?No easy answers.If she finds a niche in life/friends/support groups/lifestyle then it is much easier to adapt and get along even though the family ties will be strong she can always go back and visit.

Ideal situation is living in farang country for six months and Thailand for the rest of the year.As my Chinese friend married to an Aussie for many years this works out perfectly.

Granted I can't imagine a Thai woman moving to like Norway/Finland where it's ice cold in the winter, no sunshine during the day, etc. That would take one very strong woman to survive and one very strong relationship....

You'd be surprised. There are about 10 000 Thai's in Norway, most of them women married with Norwegian men. And compared to other groups of immigrants they are highly successfull. Allong with their sisters from the Philipines, they are just as likely to have a job outside the home as an ethnic Norwegian woman. Albeit mostly in low income professions.

The divorce rate compared to "normal" couples is not frightenely high either.

As for the climate, many of these women live in remote villages on the west coast or northern Norway, way above the polar circle. My hometown is at 68 degrees north and it has a sizeable Thai community. Even the remote Svalbard Islands, halfway to the north pole has about 70 Thai's living and working there. Thats at 78 degrees north, and the sun never rise above the horizon for almost 3 months of the year.

I'd say that the Thais are as resilient abroad as any other people.

And at last, spoke with an American expat at the visa lina in Vientiane last week. He had been married with his Thai wife for 32 years, and him working in many countries around the world. As he said, she went everywhere with me, and never complained. So now we have moved back to Thailand...

But then on a Norwegian web board much like this one, I just read about a guy who got his new wife to Norway only a month ago, she is very depressed and want to go home. Well, I have had that feeling while working in strange countries myself so I undertand that one...

"Thai Girls Abroad, how long do they last?"

Maybe it's me, but I find this topic title and sub-title quite embarrassing and it's like talking about a mobile phone or latest iPhone/iPod. :o

Mods, is it possible to change the (sub)-title so that it appears to be more friendly towards Thai Ladies ?

LaoPo

First time Joy came to England and Scotland - April - she seemed to like it. She had a problem with "big houses, too much cleaning" but handled the 7 week trip really well. I did spend more on thermal underware than I expected but there you go. The fact that she seemed to be wearing 15 layers when we were in shorts was a concern. Still "giddy up" she'll soon acclimatise. NOT

On the second trip - I want to see "Jingle bells, jingle bells" in December she lasted 10 days.

"Love you very much, London very good, England very good. I go home!" - 21 December - "Cold too much".

We managed to get a flight on the 23rd.

Temperatures for anyone who's born and bred in the tropics is a killer. I think you can get cold to a degree (Bone cold) where no amount of thermal underware, roaring log fires or electric blankets will suffice.

My Aussie Ex, from FNQLD had exactly the same experience. After 30 years in FNQLD she lasted 3 weeks in the UK in December. Frozen to the bone.

Whilst having fellow Thais around is good there's not a lot you can do about the climate.