British Word For "internship"?

Florin

What's the context?

It's a regular business context...I know in British English "intern" normally refers to medical professionals, I was looking for the general idea of placing a young university graduate in a company for experience gaining purposes.

What's the context?

It's a regular business context...I know in British English "intern" normally refers to medical professionals, I was looking for the general idea of placing a young university graduate in a company for experience gaining purposes.

We do not use intern in the medical field - or at least we did not. The British equivalent would be 'House Officer'.

What's the context?

We do not use intern in the medical field - or at least we did not. The British equivalent would be 'House Officer'.

House Officer or more generic "Junior Doctor".

Work Placement is probably closest to "Internship" for a business position as someone above mentioned but it also started to be used for any type of job ie work placement as part or re-training or a course.

The Euro's tend to use internship as well (well they did in Belgium)

Definition of 'British': Of or relating to or characteristic of Great Britain or its people or culture.

The language is actually called 'English'.

How about a definition of the word 'Internship". I'm assuming it's a US Americanism.

Edited by maisampatpom

You could have searched yourself but here you go.

in·tern·ship /ˈɪntɜrnˌʃɪp/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-turn-ship] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. the state or condition of being an intern.

2. the period during which a person serves as an intern.

3. any official or formal program to provide practical experience for beginners in an occupation or profession: an internship for management trainees.

4. a position as a participant in such a program: She has accepted an internship in a law firm.

5. any period of time during which a beginner acquires experience in an occupation, profession, or pursuit: She had a long internship before starting her own recording studio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1900–05; intern2 + -ship]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, work experience is what we would use here in Australia. Internship is normaly used by Doctors to mean "Doctor's in Training". Feel free to correct me anyone if I am wrong. By the way, we here in Australia use the British spelling and word structure in our Language. The reason American's have changed some of the spelling and English structure goes back I believe to the War of Independence. This is what we were taught in my American History Major. Once again, correct this if wrong.

Personally, I would suggest ' internship' would be journeyman/woman/person.. to be PC... grrrr, like a doctor who was an intern, has finished initial on job training, ...... becomes a registrar.

Possibly, journeyman, would fit the bill, as interns have finished initial training, whereas, apprentices are raw beginners.