Retirement Visa On Tourist Visa

I'm a US citizen, had a O-A 1 year retirement visa issued from the Thai Embassy in LA, but it expired shortly before my arrival back here last month, so I came in on a tourist visa.

A travel agent famous for getting things done says I need a three month extension BEFORE I can get the retirement visa from immigration, and the agency says this is NOT an O-A visa but a retirement visa.

Also, they have a fee of 30,000 baht to do this.

Sounds like WAY too much, and I'll try doing it myself first (I have the matured 800k and the rest) but is there truth that I need to get an extension on the tourist 30day before I can get my retirement visa? (my tourist expires in about 10 days.)

Thanks

I think the requirement is to have an O or OA non immigrant visa before a retirement leave to stay/extension will be issued. There is no "retirement visa" as such. I was in a similar position a few years ago and had to leave to get the required visa (but things could have changed).

Edited by Guest

What do you have now? A tourist visa allows a 60 day stay. A visa exempt entry is 30 days.

If you are on a visa exempt you would have had to do the extension while you still had 21 days or more remaining so it is too late on this entry.

You can enter on visa exempt or tourist visa (and change) or enter on single entry non immigrant O visa and not have to change visa status.

Total Immigration costs will be 2,000 baht for change and 1,900 baht for one year extension of stay. Re-entry period if you travel would be above that at 1,000 for single or 3,800 for unlimited multi entry.

If you make the change at Immigration you receive a single entry non immigrant O visa (2,000 baht) and after 60 days can make your one year extension of stay for retirement (1,900 baht). The one year is not a visa at all - it is an extension of stay.