First World Fantasy

goodguy

Several times I have seen some topics referring to the complete lack of waste mangagement conciousness among the Thai People.

(Burning Plastic Rubbish to use as Fire Lighters for Charcoal Barbecue Chicken etc. etc.)

Most developed countries have a refuse collection and re-cycling programs.

These, as most of us know, are managed by the City Council and Supermarkets themselves, who provide pick up locations in the car Parks of the Supemarkets.

There. we can seperately dump our waste cardboard, glass, different grades of plastic etc. Cleanly and cheaply.

After reading how Bangkok is the third dirtiest city in the world, I find it easy to imagine that most of Thailand itself is also in the same boat.

It would be nice if Tesco Lotus, Carrefour,Big C, 7-Eleven, Family Mart, who are responsible for the supply of most of the waste plastic etc, provided some means for the customers to return the garbage to the point of sale.

First world, my word, Thailand has a few million light years to go yet before it can remotely claim any status as a first world civilisation.

Drainage might help too.

Good Guy

would be nice, but ain't gonna happen any time soon. everytime I return a plastic bag at 7-11 or the supermarket (two loaves of bread and a can of coke - 3 bags!) I get looked at like I'm from Mars.

but Mr. toxin did say thailand will be a developed country by the time he is done with it. but wishing won't make it happen.

After reading how Bangkok is the third dirtiest city in the world, I find it easy to imagine that most of Thailand itself is also in the same boat.

I guess it was written by somebody who has never been to Thailand, or was written with malicious intend. I could list 10 cities without thinking which make Bangkok look clean enough to kiss the streets by comparison.

Huh? :o

To my eyes, thailand is about a million times cleaner now than when I first came here. Plastic garbage literally everywhere, all the time then....

And who says there's no recycling in Thailand? Must have their head in the sand, or never lived here. Their are plastic, metal, glass, paper recyclers in every part of the Kingdom..Prices are pretty good, too. And from reports, the garbage hauling crews can make some pretty good dosh from some of your junk, too. A report in the post a couple of years ago wrote about a crew that claimed to make at least an extra few hundred baht per day from recyclables...

I imagine that anyone living in a house in any neighborhood has the individual recyclers coming around to your house regularly with their handcarts and simple hand scales. If you don't know about them, it might be because your maid/wife already has a deal going with one of them... :D

Surely more needs to be done, but I've seen huge increases in general cleanliness here, and that should be applauded and encouraged by supporting them yourself directly, by making sure your wastes get recycled as best as practical. Easy to do, and some baht in your pocket, in my experience. Just don't expect the government to make everything so convenient for you :D

For example, I've been drinking about 8 cans of diet cola for many years now (and am still healthy!). Back in the States, over half or even 80% of aluminum cans are recycled (in the UK, maybe 80% of the aluminium?). Here, I can't tell what's happening. In the province where I work, somebody sometimes takes some of the cans and maybe takes them somewhere. I doubt it.

The teenage students learn about recycling and the environment, so there's some awareness.

For example, I've been drinking about 8 cans of diet cola for many years now (and am still healthy!).  Back in the States, over half or even 80% of aluminum cans are recycled (in the UK, maybe 80% of the aluminium?).  Here, I can't tell what's happening.  In the province where I work, somebody sometimes takes some of the cans and maybe takes them somewhere.  I doubt it.

Why do you doubt it? Aluminum cans are among the most valuable of the recyclables. I also drink about 8 cans of Pepsi Max, and at my house, I'm always hearing the smashing of cans in preparation for sale to the recycler. And I constantly see people downtown cruising the garbage bins specificaly looking for cans....

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that more than 80% of aluminum cans are recycled in Thailand.

Huh? :o

To my eyes, thailand is about a million times cleaner now than when I first came here. Plastic garbage literally everywhere, all the time then....

And who says there's no recycling in Thailand? Must have their head in the sand, or never lived here. Their are plastic, metal, glass, paper recyclers in every part of the Kingdom..Prices are pretty good, too. And from reports, the garbage hauling crews can make some pretty good dosh from some of your junk, too. A report in the post a couple of years ago wrote about a crew that claimed to make at least an extra few hundred baht per day from recyclables...

I imagine that anyone living in a house in any neighborhood has the individual recyclers coming around to your house regularly. If you don't know about them, it might be because your maid/wife already has a deal going with one of them... :D

Surely more needs to be done, but I've seen huge increases in general cleanliness here, and that should be applauded and encourage by supporting them yourself, directly, by making sure your wastes get recycled as best as practical. Easy to do, and some baht in your pocket, in my experience. Just don't expect the government to make everything so convenient for you :D

Excuse me, head in the sand? :D

I agree that there are those that do recycle, god bless them, but are you aware that most of these people do it as a living? Can you honestly vouch yourself that there are Thai people out there that are wholeheartedly involved in separating their garbage? Can you actually tell me that these people are aware that there are two types of garbage bins for separating garbage in Bangkok?

I'm not saying Bangkok hasn't gotten better, I have seen the difference comparing with the times I came back on vacations or eversince I've moved back here, it's much cleaner now I agree but what I do find disturbing is that no one cares geniunely about it. Meaning that, the streets are clean, why? You have street cleaners paid to do that. Recycling, why? Because a homeless person needs money to buy food.

I am not saying that it does not exist but what I am saying is that no one seems to care enough to do so, not just to make a baht but to help the environment?

And FYI, I don't have a maid or a wife, I sort my own garbage (and at times others!) both at home and work; paper, plastic, glass...and not to sell it but because it's a big deal to me....

I agree that there are those that do recycle, god bless them, but are you aware that most of these people do it as a living?
Of course! That's the Main Point. It creates work and income for people, too.
Because a homeless person needs money to buy food

Sorry, but you seem to be thinking of your home country, maybe. This is a big business, and many of these recyclers, even the homeless ones, can make quite decent money from this job by Thai standards. You seem to see it as a dirty job, that only homeless are interested in....Hence, my head in the sand comment looking a bit on target, maybe...Anyway, nothing nefarious in the comment, I assure you :D

Can you honestly vouch yourself that there are Thai people out there that are wholeheartedly involved in separating their garbage? Can you actually tell me that these people are aware that there are two types of garbage bins for separating garbage in Bangkok?

Who cares what the house owner does, when at every change of hands, someone is searching your garbage for valuables. They're happy to separate and recycle your garbage for you...I couldn't care less if they do it for money, or for the thrill :o

I'm Thai, home country Thailand....lets call a truce...we're both on the same wave anyways I'm not much of a fighter.

Sorry, I didn't mean to have it look like a fight. I just think it's good to debate points where disagreements or different experiences occur, but like you said, were both on the same page as recyclers. Sorry also if my slight humor was too slight to notice :D

Btw, I'm a lover-not-a-fighter, too, though with far fewer chances to prove it now :o

I agree totally about debating the issues, but I'm not much for hostility, not implying that ur posts were that is, but I've come across some and it gets you into a defensive state. It's hard to know with text or choice of syntax, but anyhoo-no hard feelings.

There's always chances to prove things....

There always chances to prove things....

Certainly true here, but at what price? :D

I also feel some similar feelings about writing in text. Without the voice and face gestures, it's quite easy not to always get your point across accurately and also it's easy to misinperpret or maybe read too much into what someone wrote. I try to be very careful about my choice of words and how I interpret the words of others, but I'm only human, too. :o

Btw, the original head in the sand comment didn't pertain to you, since I referred it to people who think there is no recycling here, which you clearly stated you were already aware of....It also did not mean that anyone not agreeing with me had their head in the sand :D

Put all your recyclables in bags or a box, leave it on the sidewalk, see how long it stays... :o

I brought my weekly loads by scooter again today over to my favorite old lady in the village, I get a wai for each load :D

When building the house , too busy, I often threw junk in cardboard boxes only to find the contents on the sidewalk and the box gone :D

Anyway, there is recycling being done by the people but it just doesn`t seem like a priority for Mr Moonface and his government :D .

Kids are taught in school about the environment and recycling but I guess we`ll have to wait until they are the fearless leadersin order to see some major improvement, maybe then...

I am sure that most people have seen the very poor raking through the garbage bins taking out all the aluminum cans,plastic bottles and anything of any value at all.That is the key no value it just won't happen.

Thai children dash round collecting up bottles and metal when the rag and bone man comes to get a few baht for sweets etc other than that I doubt there is any government organised collecting anywhere in Thailand.

I think it is likely that a higher percentage of valuable recyclables is collected as in the west no one sorts out the rubbish from public bins.This includes after concerts etc.I know a number of restaurants in uk that don't recycle at all and that includes all the bottles!