Migrating To Thailand - 20y/o

Hello,

First I would like to offer my appologies in advance as I presume that my question will have been answered numerous times and for that I am sorry that you have to re-itterate yourself. I have looked through the sticky threads but found no post explaining what I after.

Anyway on to my questions:

I am a twenty year old brittish male looking to migrate to Thailand for a fresh start. I have no criminal record or anything like that, I just feel I need a break from England.

I currently have £12,000 in the bank saved up and I would like to come and live in thailand, hopefully obtain a job working doing a simple task such as potwashing in a resteraunt and living a relaxed life with a community of people that I know are friendly.

So my question is, how would I go about doing this, when I talked to a friend they told me if you were under 60 you could only live in Thailand for 6 months.

Is this true? And If it is then how would I go about obtaining permission to live there?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the ignorance!

Rich

Washing pots????? that would earn you $5 u.s per day. I cant believe you would not think of this before posting, or have you never been here before ?

Thankyou for the reply.

Everything is relative to the cost of living in my eyes. If I were earning $5 per day then I would have $5 per day to live on.

You are correct in your assumption, I have only been to thailand when I was much younger, and I don't remember it too well, however many of my friends and family regularly go on holidays there, and I have read numerous posts on other sites about people moving to Thailand and enjoying life. I have also found some that were negative, however they were from the middle aged single people who seemed to go there expecting the world to revolve around them.

This isn't me.

As I say though, primarily I would be looking to get a simple job with a poor wage, however in the long run I will be looking to play poker online which is currently where my main source of income comes from. However this would only be when I was 100% convinced I wasn't in any risk of ruin so I would be doing said job for at least 3 months first.

Thanks again.

Unless you get a work permit or find a thai to marry you can only live in Thailand with tourist visas up to 6 months.

Then you have to leave the kingdom and return with a new visa.

Unless you get a work permit or find a thai to marry you can only live in Thailand with tourist visas up to 6 months.

Thankyou.

If I had a tourist visa this wouldn't allow me to work would it? So is there no way a single male under 60 can go to WORK in thailand please?

At the moment you can live in Thailand indefinitely on back to back Tourist Visas.

Very unlikely you would get a job or a work permit washing pots.

Washing pots????? that would earn you $5 u.s per day. I cant believe you would not think of this before posting, or have you never been here before ?

Thankyou for the reply.

Everything is relative to the cost of living in my eyes. If I were earning $5 per day then I would have $5 per day to live on.

You are correct in your assumption, I have only been to Thailand when I was much younger, and I don't remember it too well, however many of my friends and family regularly go on holidays there, and I have read numerous posts on other sites about people moving to Thailand and enjoying life. I have also found some that were negative, however they were from the middle aged single people who seemed to go there expecting the world to revolve around them.

This isn't me.

As I say though, primarily I would be looking to get a simple job with a poor wage, however in the long run I will be looking to play poker online which is currently where my main source of income comes from. However this would only be when I was 100% convinced I wasn't in any risk of ruin so I would be doing said job for at least 3 months first.

Thanks again.

Okay ,well you sound determined so a few things to think about. firstly if you are going to work you will need a work permit. I have never seen a farang pot washer/ cleaner etc. Where do you plan to stay on $5 a day? Do you plan on eating whilst your here? water is free but a bit suspect but I know people who drink it. sounds like your gonna have a ball. Good luck

Thankyou for the reply.

You are correct in your assumption, I have only been to Thailand when I was much younger, and I don't remember it too well, however many of my friends and family regularly go on holidays there, and I have read numerous posts on other sites about people moving to Thailand and enjoying life. I have also found some that were negative, however they were from the middle aged single people who seemed to go there expecting the world to revolve around them.

This isn't me.

Thanks again.

Okay ,well you sound determined so a few things to think about. firstly if you are going to work you will need a work permit. I have never seen a farang pot washer/ cleaner etc. Where do you plan to stay on $5 a day? Do you plan on eating whilst your here? water is free but a bit suspect but I know people who drink it. sounds like your gonna have a ball. Good luck

I am very determined, once I put my mind to something I like to do it.

I will not only be using the $5 a day to start with, as I most likely will have to use my current money I have saved up to fund me (more than enough).

My questions are - Would I need a special work visa to go over and live and work in Thailand, and if so how would I go about getting one of these?

Basically I have no clue of the process of moving from England to Thailand and was hoping someone could fill me in on how to go about it?

Thanks again.

i stole this from another poster but it may help if your crazy enough to follow through :o

one of the cheapest ways to travel Thailand is to 'Homestay' I'm sure you can Google it. It's usually 100 baht or so a night and you can have the Mum of the house prepare you meals for about 150 baht a day. It's an interesting way to experience real Thai life. usually homestays are in a 'normal' Thai family home and you sleep in their house. Good luck at finding your roots :D

OP would do well to do a bit more research than simply dreaming up fantasy scenarios while sitting on the toilet.

First, falang are not allowed to do work that Thais can do.

Translation: there are numerous Thais who can wash pots in a restaurant and many will do it for even less than $5 a day.

12K quid will buy a nice holiday and opportunity to learn something about the country, its ways, customs and its labour laws.

how about WWOOFing.WWOOF stands for WILLING WORKERS ON ORGANIC FARMS.it's an organization that connects volunteer workers and organic farms.volunteers help out on the farm a little in exchange for board and something to eat.i think this would be a good introduction for you.

good luck!

OP would do well to do a bit more research than simply dreaming up fantasy scenarios while sitting on the toilet.

Translation: there are numerous Thais who can wash pots in a restaurant and many will do it for even less than $5 a day.

12K quid will buy a nice holiday and opportunity to learn something about the country, its ways, customs and its labour laws.

Menial work like pot washing is not open to foreigners. In order to get a work permit, and permission to stay here, the OP would need to work in a profession that is not on the following list.

http://www.ethailand.com/index.php?id=1836

Many foreigners start off teaching English. The OP might want to consider that, if he has the right qualifications. Otherwise, given that he is only 20, the OP would be well advised to study and gain a profession that is in demand in Thailand before he leaves the UK. His 12k quid would be best spent on furthering his education. Life is very hard here if you have no money - harder than most people think, and $5 per day would mean living in misery once the novelty of being here wears off.

Hi Johnnyk

I know what its like to want to leave the UK, I did it a year ago, but after long,long investigations. :o

Whilst I am no way in the same situation(age) as you, here in Surin I see many young Europeans doing voluntary English teaching in town. They are provided with a place to stay and (paid!) expenses. I think they only work 4 days per week and most I've met (when also helping teaching) have had a great time here.

The sponsor above may have info on his website (Ferrang Connection). With this option someone hopefully will sort out the visa/TEFL/work permit situations for you. I think the firm is called Starfish that organises the teachers here, but sorry I have no other info about them.

Good luck and see you soon (Maybe) :D

:D

Dave (ex S.E London lad)

Thankyou for the reply.

I have also found some that were negative, however they were from the middle aged single people who seemed to go there expecting the world to revolve around them.

This isn't me.

As I say though, primarily I would be looking to get a simple job with a poor wage, however in the long run I will be looking to play poker online which is

currently where my main source of income comes from.

Thanks again.

Forget trying to help him people he is a nutter for sure. A pot washing pro poker player. If this is your plan then dont come here, just dont. And yes I kinda prefer being middle age single and having the world revolve around me :o

Edited by zorro1

Thailand is not a place to be without dosh - plain/simple it will be hel_l on earth. If you want to take off a year than I say go for it, but realize you have your whole life ahead of yourself and you should get back to reality and make a career for yourself once that year is up.

Thankyou for the reply.

You are correct in your assumption, I have only been to thailand when I was much younger, and I don't remember it too well, however many of my friends and family regularly go on holidays there, and I have read numerous posts on other sites about people moving to Thailand and enjoying life. I have also found some that were negative, however they were from the middle aged single people who seemed to go there expecting the world to revolve around them.

This isn't me.

Thanks again.

Is gambling not illegal in Thailand?

What about enrolling in a Thai school, either a language school or a Thai university, and entering on a legitimate education visa? If this is not a wind-up, and I don't think it is, I think going to school to learn the Thai language and/or continuing his existing UK education seems like something appropriate to his agenda and his enthusiasm. If he sticks with it and obtains fluency he could well find a job later.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Johnnyk

I know what its like to want to leave the UK, I did it a year ago, but after long,long investigations. :o

Whilst I am no way in the same situation(age) as you, here in Surin I see many young Europeans doing voluntary English teaching in town. They are provided with a place to stay and (paid!) expenses. I think they only work 4 days per week and most I've met (when also helping teaching) have had a great time here.

The sponsor above may have info on his website (Ferrang Connection). With this option someone hopefully will sort out the visa/TEFL/work permit situations for you. I think the firm is called Starfish that organises the teachers here, but sorry I have no other info about them.

Good luck and see you soon (Maybe) :D

:D

Dave (ex S.E London lad)

I think you've confused me with the OP though I washed pots too when I was 22...on a freighter heading to South America. And I left the UK also, courtesy of my parents' wanting to get out. That was in 1949, I was 2 years old.

Volunteer teaching is certainly a good way to experience the Thailand beyond the falang ghettoes as well as doing something that could beuseful and rewarding.

Cheers

I have looked through the sticky threads but found no post explaining what I after.

The reason for this is simple.

It is just not possible.

There are thousands of unemployed Thai youths who can wash dishes.........

To migrate to Thailand you need:

1. A skill and qualifications that cannot be found in the local Thai population.

2. Money - an income of at least 1000 quid a month from a job in Thailand

Back to the drawing board. :o

this is not a real post is it?

how can anyone go to a country w/o knowing about it first.... migrate to thailand??? at age 20???

hey kid: no work permit, no work. unless u are a very skilled worker in something that is on the 'approval' list, u cant work, and if u volunteer u still need a work permit... and i dont think there are any wwoof projects that i noticed in thailand....

and being poor in a very strange foreign country w/o backup like friends/family that live there means u are fresh meat to be torn apart by the carnivores that are waiting for the likes of u.... (that goes for any young person going to a new country not as a tourist but as a 'immigrant'... ) i see it enough here.... its enough that if u are very ill in your hovel of an apartment, there is no one or no where to turn to... (u arent travellling on your own or with a bunch of people u met up with, u are working every day and as a pot washer, no one of your fellow workers will give two satang about u one way or the other.... )

tell me this isnt real....

and ... fresh start??????? travelers always take their 'home baggage' with them wherever they go, the fresh start has to come from within....

bina

Be a backpacker for a while. If you're careful 12K sterling will last quite a long time. Keep your eyes open while you are here and something might turn up - likely related to teaching English.

Unless you are an extraordinary individual, you cannot do menial work. You would be an illegal worker competing with other illegal workers from very harsh backgrounds (i.e. Burma). Honestly, I don't believe there are many westerners who could hack it. And even if you did manage it, unless you are of Asian heritage you would be caught very quickly. People of western appearance are never seen doing that kind of work here.

But seriously - you're 20 years of age with no marital ties, right? Throw on a backpack and lose yourself in Asia for 6 months. You'll have a great time if nothing else.

Im my opinion you can do anything you want if you really want to do! It is all in your mind. For example:

1. You come here first on non-O visa (easy to get from Hull)

2. Look around and find a job like teaching, many schools will give you a chance, espacialy if you can live outside Bangkok and will help you with your paperwork. Of course you will need to learn how to teach but it is not so hard for someone who really wants to do this job.

3. In time you may think of some business.

4. If you make your business work you can apply in time for a residency status (takes time, effort, a lot of requirements and paperwork but possible)

5. Once you get your PR in time you apply for a citizenship!

Sound doable? If you are really serious about Thailand you can do it! And having 800,000 Baht to start with is a very good begining as long as you don't spend this money, this is your investment capital, seeds, don't eat them. We might hear from you in 10 years time and you could be the richest faranig in the LOS.

He's 20 ... no Uni degree

Mac your credibility will suffer unless you suggest simple things like ... go to school. Get a degree in English or Education ... etc

edit -- you mean Hull (and maybe not so easy for a 20y/o with no degree etc

Edited by jdinasia

I really think that you are being very unfair to this young man with your sarcastic answers and your 'know it all' attitude. He is only 20 years old and needs some help here. He has obviously not travelled too much in his life and does not know the score.

Ok his ideas are outlandish, but really we are in a land that changes the rules so frequently that it is very difficult for anyone to know where they stand.

It was certainly very possible in my time to bum your way around Europe doing menial jobs with or without a work permit, so maybe thats the information that he is basing this on. Maybe Zorro you did not need a helping hand when you were younger, but i thought that this was what Thai Visa was all about?

This is one of the reasons why i very rarely post on this forum because even the most simple question is very often ridiculed. At least he had the nouse to locate and contact the forum, maybe his mistake.

To the gentleman in question. If you need any help or advise please PM me and i will do my best to provide the information.

By the way i have been here for around 9 years.

Cheers, Rick

I agree, why is there so much aggression and anger in the replies? Rather sad and pathetic in my opinion.

I am sorry you think that way.

It is certainly not the way I intended my post, not I suspect did others.

We are stating the cold hard truth and do not want this naive young man to burn his meagre

savings on a fool's venture in Thailand.

Lets face it. Even if he were 50 he does not have enough money to justify a retirement visa,

let alone the most modest living expenses.

In other countries his plan, to knock along eking out a living and staying in a commune of like minded souls, might work

but I have the feeling that even now, he is 40-50 years too late.

Sorry, but that is the way I see it.

Living overseas is not a bed of roses.