Obsession With Plastic

zorro1

I just arrived home from 7-11 and bought 6 small cans of coke. There were 12 straws thrown in and it was in 2 plastic bags enough to hold a kilo or 2 safely. What is it with the plastic obsession and where do all these bags and things end up?

Edited by zorro1

I know where they all end up.......in my village, on my neighbour's land. She then waits until it has just rained before gathering piles of wet grass and wet sticks together so she can slow cook the plastic bags with the maximum toxic smoke possible for several hours. She wonders why her sister was so unlucky when she died of cancer!

<br />Just look at the side of the road, you'll see alot of them there.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Along with the beaches I have just visited today in Chumphon broken glass bottles, nylon, bags, half a car, old shoes, car parts,etc Thais really need to get a grip on their rubbsih habits they're filthy! Ruining their own country its everywhere you look any street, beach or countryside.

<br />I just arrived home from 7-11 and bought 6 small cans of coke. There were 12 straws thrown in and it was in 2 plastic bags enough to hold a kilo or 2 safely. What is it with the plastic obsession and where do all these bags and things end up?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Lucky you din't end up with one bag per tin of coke they love to do this too, 1 bag per item essential, i wonder if you buy a plastic bag they would put it in a plastic bag? Reckon so.

We use all the bags to clear up the poo-poo when we take our golden retriever for a walk.

You deserve a medal! :o

where does the plastic bag with poo poo end up ? what happens if you pick up a bag and there's already poo poo in it :D

Why the obsession with plastic? Thailand is barely out of the era when everything was wrapped in a banana leaf. Plastic bags seem, ooooohhh, so much more sexy!

Reminds me of the USA in the late 50's/early 60's--and the accompanying trash problems.

We use all the bags to clear up the poo-poo when we take our golden retriever for a walk.

You deserve a medal! :o

where does the plastic bag with poo poo end up ?

It ends up in people's personal bins that they leave out on the street. Frankly as we already feel like Thailand citizens of the year clearing up the wretched stuff, we have no qualms about dumping 7 Eleven bags of poo-poo into people's personal dust bins

what happens if you pick up a bag and there's already poo poo in it :D

We only pick up bags from 7 Eleven where, as you will no doubt have observed, they generally are offered without poo-poo inside.

i wonder if you buy a plastic bag they would put it in a plastic bag? Reckon so.

2 weeks ago girlfriend cames home from shopping at TOPS market. talking about the plastic bag issue before, she proud shows a fabric bag, that she got for free. the bag has some environment protection slogan on it, was sponsored by a EU organisation, was extra packed and sealed in its own plastic bag and got from the TOPS staff also its own TOPS market plastic bag, since it was a differrent product from the rest of the groceries she purchased.

but due its very small tiny size that fabric bag is not useful for shopping at all. for example, just big enough for carry a pack of pasta and five bananas away.

post-32715-1205282483_thumb.jpg

ahh, making a photo right now i see that the free bag was related to the purchase of some apples and promotes fresh apples. anyway that free bag for nothing got its own seperate TOPS plastic bag, no kidding.

<br />Why the obsession with plastic? Thailand is barely out of the era when everything was wrapped in a banana leaf. Plastic bags seem, ooooohhh, so much more sexy! <br /><br />Reminds me of the USA in the late 50's/early 60's--and the accompanying trash problems.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Ask the locals to dump a "banana" bag outside your house or a plastic bag and tell me after 50 years whihc one you prefer? Reckon they should take a step backwards in this case

We use all the bags to clear up the poo-poo when we take our golden retriever for a walk. But as we seem to be the only dog owners in Thailand that do this, I'm not sure what the rest of the population use them for.

Count me in....I do it too...;-)

From my observations the biggest culprit of the roadside plastic bag scourge is the bag full of crushed ice, coke/fanta plus straw. When they finish drinking it it gets hurled out the car window or off the mo'cy into the bushes.

Their thought process is along the lines of "Well it's only one plastic bag".

As with so many things worldwide the answer is education.

From my observations the biggest culprit of the roadside plastic bag scourge is the bag full of crushed ice, coke/fanta plus straw. When they finish drinking it it gets hurled out the car window or off the mo'cy into the bushes.

Their thought process is along the lines of "Well it's only one plastic bag".

As with so many things worldwide the answer is education.

And men in brown set up a little post opposite the Marriott near soi 4 nana and proceed to fine farang 1000bht for flicking a cigarette butt. I wonder if this is education, hmmm

what happens if you pick up a bag and there's already poo poo in it :o

We only pick up bags from 7 Eleven where, as you will no doubt have observed, they generally are offered without poo-poo inside.

that reminds me of a classic "blackadder" sketch

General Melchett: Is this true, Blackadder? Did Captain Darling pooh-pooh you?

Captain Blackadder: Well, perhaps a little.

General Melchett: Well, then, dam_n it all! What more evidence do you need? The pooh-poohing alone is a court martial offense!

Captain Blackadder: I can assure you, sir, that the pooh-poohing was purely circumstantial.

General Melchett: Well, I hope so, Blackadder. You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major, who got pooh-poohed, made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment. Morale totally destroyed... by pooh-pooh!

:D

I just arrived home from 7-11 and bought 6 small cans of coke. There were 12 straws thrown in and it was in 2 plastic bags enough to hold a kilo or 2 safely. What is it with the plastic obsession and where do all these bags and things end up?

They are taken to the island of Koh Samet apparently... :o

Koh Samet is definitely going downhill with a hill full of trash... and no place new to dump even more... :D

30044632-01.jpg

Officials inspect the main refuse dump on Koh Samet in Rayong Province, which has reached full capacity. The chief of Khao Laem Ya National Park, of which the tourist island is a part says that no more forest area can be earmarked for additional dumping.

The Nation, August 11, 2007

In another example of absurdity....

Seriously, dump plastic

We've all seen and heard countless reminders to Go Green, Be Responsible, Save the Earth, etc. Everywhere we go, we see people toting cloth bags, usually given to them by savvy marketers seizing the opportunity to use a new advertising ploy. I wonder how many of them are actually avoiding plastic... The other day I received one such cloth bag at a popular book store all nicely and neatly wrapped in, yes, you guessed it, a plastic bag! Time to get serious!

By Sirinya 'Cindy' Bishop

- Daily Xpress

------------------------------------------------

post-9005-1205287372_thumb.jpg

Sirinya 'Cindy' Bishop [supermodel]

We use all the bags to clear up the poo-poo when we take our golden retriever for a walk. But as we seem to be the only dog owners in Thailand that do this, I'm not sure what the rest of the population use them for.

you poo poo in 7/11 plastic bags? scnr

but that leads to another question. whats up with the obsession of some people that they want own a dog, specially when they live in a big city?

i am part of the 'rest of the population' that doesn't own a dog and don't need plastic bags for the poo poo.

i found some statistics about the part of the population that owns a dog, in berlin (germany) they are responsible for 21.000 tons of shit per year, in paris (france) 5.800 tons per year, in San Francisco 6.500 tons per year.

dog shit is pollution of the environment. in your plastic bags its preserve for decades, dogs shit its one of the main reason for fecal contamination of the water. it's a environmental hazard waste that need a special waste treatment. dog shit doesn't go trough a wastewater treatment plant. just put it in a reused plastic bag should not dispel all your qualms.

ps. another 'popular' practice of reuse plastic bags amongs the farang community in thailand is to use them as exit bag and bring their environmental impact (every human has) to a final halt.

you poo poo in 7/11 plastic bags? scnr

but that leads to another question. whats up with the obsession of some people that they want own a dog, specially when they live in a big city?

i am part of the 'rest of the population' that doesn't own a dog and don't need plastic bags for the poo poo.

i found some statistics about the part of the population that owns a dog, in berlin (germany) they are responsible for 21.000 tons of shit per year, in paris (france) 5.800 tons per year, in San Francisco 6.500 tons per year.

dog shit is pollution of the environment. in your plastic bags its preserve for decades, dogs shit its one of the main reason for fecal contamination of the water. it's a environmental hazard waste that need a special waste treatment. dog shit doesn't go trough a wastewater treatment plant. just put it in a reused plastic bag should not dispel all your qualms.

ps. another 'popular' practice of reuse plastic bags amongs the farang community in thailand is to use them as exit bag and bring their environmental impact (every human has) to a final halt.

My thread has gone to the dogs :o

I wonder how they come up with these statistics? Do they work on an average dog feed/effluent throughput formula and then multiply it by the number of dogs. If so either the Berlin dogs are far more efficient than their Parisian and San Franciscan brothers (Vorsprukt Der Tecknic or something like that) or there's more of them.

Sorry Zorro, you are right we are going off track.

Back on topic. Every time I buy something in Thailand, including newspapers, they try and put it in a plastic bag and look at me as if I'm nuts when I say mai ow. But a small pharmacy on Pattaya Tai actually put the meds I had bought in a paper bag. However even this isn't as green as it should be, apparently more greenhouse gases are produced making paper bags than plastic.

Plastic bags though are only the tip of the iceberg in terms of pollution. Take that fruit you buy in Foodland packaged in a polystyrene tray, wrapped in cellophane then carried home in a plastic bag. All the food takewaways packaged neatly in polystyrene and plastic bags. Little wonder places like Samui are disappearing under a mountain of refuse.

You're not alone, I do this too, with my 2 golden retrievers. Double the bags :o

cheers

onzestan

A theory I have is that Thais in general don't buy official green garbage bags at the supermarkets so they use 7-11 bags etc as their home/kitchen garbage bags. The people in 7-11 know this and hand out as many as possible, its a bit of stab in the dark but cant think of anything else. Does anyone know a check out chick? would love to hear their version, are they instructed by management or what?