Motorcycles, Visas, And Licenses

DerekP

How hard is it for a tourist to rent and ride a motorcycle? I'll be in Thailand on a 2-entry tourist visa.

From all the stories I've heard, it sounded like it's super easy to rent a motorcycle in Thailand for just $2-$3/day. But from reading the stickies, it seems I need to have a non-immigrant visa to even get a license, I need a medical certificate, I need a rental agreement (what if I'm not renting?) etc.

Basically, I've heard it's super easy, but from reading the board it sounds super complicated.

So, here's my question:

1) How difficult is it to actually get a license? (Not how difficult it is if I went by the book, letter by letter, but how difficult is it, in thailand, in reality, to get a license?)

2) Can I ride without a license?

3) Can I get a license on a tourist visa? (If not, does that mean I can't rent a bike, period?)

How hard is it for a tourist to rent and ride a motorcycle? I'll be in Thailand on a 2-entry tourist visa.

From all the stories I've heard, it sounded like it's super easy to rent a motorcycle in Thailand for just $2-$3/day. But from reading the stickies, it seems I need to have a non-immigrant visa to even get a license, I need a medical certificate, I need a rental agreement (what if I'm not renting?) etc.

Basically, I've heard it's super easy, but from reading the board it sounds super complicated.

So, here's my question:

1) How difficult is it to actually get a license? (Not how difficult it is if I went by the book, letter by letter, but how difficult is it, in thailand, in reality, to get a license?)

3) Can I get a license on a tourist visa? (If not, does that mean I can't rent a bike, period?)

In my experience... All you should need is an international licence from your home country, making sure that it covers use in Thailand.

When I first arrived I didn't have one, but copies of the ID page of my passport and my UK driving licence did the trick. Thailand is cracking down big time on motoring laws, so it's best to go down the correct path on this issue. The only times I see police working are at road blocks where they tend to pick on motorbikes the most.

Thai driving licence requires a Residents Certificate which requires a Non Immigrant visa.

P.S. You can't spend dollars in Thailand

Edited by maisampatpom

With just an International DL you can rent a bike but it will cost you about 6 US dollars/day as the dollar has devalued quite a lot in the last year. About 150 to 200 baht per day. MAKE SURE YOU INSPECT the bike and note all scratches and dings on the rental contract or you will be paying extra when you return the bike.

If you're still in the US and want to be legal go to the nearest AAA ofice and get an International Driving Permit (IDP). It's 10 or 15$ and you just need a valid US license and a photo (and the money).

And the other posters are correct that a Tourist vis will not let you get a Thai license. If you have a Non-O or B its pretty easy but you need have to have the proper visa.

So, here's my question:

i will answer your question........actually 3 questions :D

1.i think youve read on the forum about gettin a licence......you wont be able to buy one!!!you would have to go to the office and do bike test if your after a bike licence unless you already passed a bike test in home country.

2.yes you can ride without a licence.......most tourists do...........you could rent an unbelievably quick sports bike even if youve never ridden a bike ever before :D .......i wonder why theres so many fatal bike accidents :o .if the police stop you then you will have a small fine to pay as you will if you ride with no helmut.

3.you could get a licence on a tourist visa as my friend has just done so but you will need a proof of residency letter from immigration and some offices may not give that to you so that may be a problem.......in pattaya its possible.

if your only here for a few months then i suggest that it is easier to just rent without a licence and wear your helmut and then you shouldnt get stopped too often and its no biggie here even if you do get stopped so dont sweat it....got it :D

So, here's my question:

1.i think youve read on the forum about gettin a licence......you wont be able to buy one!!!you would have to go to the office and do bike test if your after a bike licence unless you already passed a bike test in home country.

2.yes you can ride without a licence.......most tourists do...........you could rent an unbelievably quick sports bike even if youve never ridden a bike ever before :D .......i wonder why theres so many fatal bike accidents :o .if the police stop you then you will have a small fine to pay as you will if you ride with no helmut.

3.you could get a licence on a tourist visa as my friend has just done so but you will need a proof of residency letter from immigration and some offices may not give that to you so that may be a problem.......in pattaya its possible.

if your only here for a few months then i suggest that it is easier to just rent without a licence and wear your helmut and then you shouldnt get stopped too often and its no biggie here even if you do get stopped so dont sweat it....got it :D

Well, what can I say? Now you've heard it from an expert with an ugly dog.

So, here's my question:

hey mr.........no need to be rude......is there???? he asked the questions on a forum!...i answered!......im no expert but the idea of the forum surely is to help people when you can...my answers come from my experience in pattaya....so may not be relevant to your town or to wherever he is gonna stay.

as to the dog....beauty is in the eye of the beholder.im sure your thai girlfriend may find you attractive :D:D:D

So, here's my question:

Well in the case you have a accident involving another car/person/moterbike it really can turn out bad for you :D

Even if you take insurance with the rental of a motrbike.. In case of an accident the first thing the insurance company will ask for is Drivers license..

But hey.. this is Thailand.. It's all up to you :D

So, here's my question:

Well in the case you have a accident involving another car/person/moterbike it really can turn out bad for you :D

Even if you take insurance with the rental of a motrbike.. In case of an accident the first thing the insurance company will ask for is Drivers license..

But hey.. this is Thailand.. It's all up to you B)

i agree......dont have any accidents............very costly especially if you kill someone so ride very carefully or do thaistyle and in case of accident runaway :D even if insured and not your fault :D

So, here's my question:

hey mr.........no need to be rude......is there???? he asked the questions on a forum!...i answered!......im no expert but the idea of the forum surely is to help people when you can...my answers come from my experience in pattaya....so may not be relevant to your town or to wherever he is gonna stay.

as to the dog....beauty is in the eye of the beholder.im sure your thai girlfriend may find you attractive :D:D:D

I wasn't being rude! You clearly have more experience on the matter than I do. I just thought it would be wiser to start on the right side of the law when arriving, as a guest, in a foreign country, the international licence being so easy to get.

I have no idea at all about Pattaya. I spent one night there, which was one night too long. From the accident statistics and the amount of foreign egos riding around, with little experience, on superbikes, I wouldn't consider being on a bike there and I suggest it would be wiser to get to know the conditions before doing so.

The dig about the dog was on the insistence of my two Rottweilers who happen to think THEY are the most handsome dogs on the planet,... and I know better than to argue with them. B)

So, here's my question:

I wasn't being rude! You clearly have more experience on the matter than I do. I just thought it would be wiser to start on the right side of the law when arriving, as a guest, in a foreign country, the international licence being so easy to get.

I have no idea at all about Pattaya. I spent one night there, which was one night too many. From the accident statistics and the amount of foreign egos riding around, with little experience, on superbikes, I wouldn't consider being on a bike there and I suggest it would be wiser to get to know the conditions before doing so.

The dig about the dog was on the insistence of my two Rottweilers who happen to think THEY are the most handsome dogs on the planet,... and I know better than to argue with them. B)

I've driven a motorcycle in Thailand for 2 years, almost 15000 km. All I have is a California Drivers License (not a motorcycle permit).

I've been stopped twice, once without a helmet (paid 300 baht), and once for speeding (paid 200 baht). Both times I showed my California

Permit and they were satisfied.

I've also rented a car 4-5 times.

So, here's my question:

if your only here for a few months then i suggest that it is easier to just rent without a licence and wear your helmut and then you shouldnt get stopped too often and its no biggie here even if you do get stopped so dont sweat it....got it B)

I have no idea at all about Pattaya. I spent one night there, which was one night too long. From the accident statistics and the amount of foreign egos riding around, with little experience, on superbikes, I wouldn't consider being on a bike there and I suggest it would be wiser to get to know the conditions before doing so.

The dig about the dog was on the insistence of my two Rottweilers who happen to think THEY are the most handsome dogs on the planet,... and I know better than to argue with them. :D

hmmmmmm.ok you wasnt being rude......must be me the way i interpreted it then.

i agree it is wiser to stay on the right side of the law in a foreign country or any country for that matter.....but as we are talkin about thailand where the lawmakers and enforcers break the law then it seems to be acceptable to join in(especialy pattaya)

accidents do occur here on a very regular basis and care has to be taken but i believe most happen due to thai peoples lack of road sense rather than foreign ego etc.

well it wasnt you that was rude about my dog but your smug rotties then...have you got any mirrors at dog level :burp: ...maybe they could have a reality check......now im being rude coz i actually believe rotties are superior looking to most canines(i use to operate 2 in uk) but my mrs weighs less than the average rottie so she didnt want one so i got a nutter bull terrier ....theyre funny fcukers,makes me laugh everyday with his personality and he dont know hes ugly so best kept between us and your smuggies :D

I've driven a motorcycle in Thailand for 2 years, almost 15000 km. All I have is a California Drivers License (not a motorcycle permit).

I've been stopped twice, once without a helmet (paid 300 baht), and once for speeding (paid 200 baht). Both times I showed my California

Permit and they were satisfied.

I've also rented a car 4-5 times.

See if the insurance company will be satisfied too in case of an accident or even theft :o

Can tell you the awnser right know..

Guess some people want to learn it the hard way.

Took me 10 minutes in Holland to get my IDP. Costed me 10 Euro's, not even 500 Baht.

When i arrived in Thailand also went to get my Thai drivers license.. 2 hours max.

But i do know it is gonna save me a lot of trouble and money in case something does go wrong.

You are all forgetting that unless the OP has a motorcycle license from his home country then legally it would be pointless getting an international one as well as it would only cover cars (that is if he even has a car license).

In reality, in tourist locations you can drive what you like, nobody will ask to see your license and if the police ask just show them any foreign license, car license or whatever. Insurance companies usually don't come into the equation as very few small rental bikes are covered by anything other than the compulsory insurance.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the awesome info. So what I'm hearing is, yes it's hard/complicated to get a license, I do need a non-imm visa, but it doesn't even really matter because most rental shops and cops don't even care if I have a license.

Just don't run anyone over.

In reality, in tourist locations you can drive what you like, nobody will ask to see your license and if the police ask just show them any foreign license, car license or whatever. Insurance companies usually don't come into the equation as very few small rental bikes are covered by anything other than the compulsory insurance.

Does that mean I'll have problems in non-tourist locations? ie. What I'd love to do is just rent a bike and ride from province to province, small village to small village, explore the countryside and just bike all over the place and enjoy Thailand. Would that be hard to do/would there be complications with that?

Now you mention it, you can hire a bike anywhere and drive anywhere and the cops normally don't care, it is jst that bikes for hire are normally in tourist areas. One time me and my friends got pulled over in a very out of the way place in northern Thailand (probably the most relaxed area for this kind of thing) my friends didn't have driving licenses and none of the bikes had registration plates. The policeman asked about the plates but then came to the conclusion that because we were not Thai it didn't matter. Where are you thinking of hiring and traveling to?

Edited by madjbs

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the awesome info. So what I'm hearing is, yes it's hard/complicated to get a license, I do need a non-imm visa, but it doesn't even really matter because most rental shops and cops don't even care if I have a license.

Just don't run anyone over.

Does that mean I'll have problems in non-tourist locations? ie. What I'd love to do is just rent a bike and ride from province to province, small village to small village, explore the countryside and just bike all over the place and enjoy Thailand. Would that be hard to do/would there be complications with that?

i would say that be careful what you rent.....i presume you looking at a bigger bike......some arent registered and they dont want you to drive out of local area so ask them first as the bike could be confiscated if the cop likes the look of it :o ........then you would have real problems and cost a bomb.otherwise i think you would be ok......maybe a few small fines along the way,but best thing is play dumb farang and they will get bored of you....but be polite.just to mention you cant take the bike on motorways and be prepared incase of breakdown as you dont wanna be stuck in middle of nowhere...so maybe you could get a number from rental company incase of this.goodluck......could b fun....dont forget that when it rains it really rains here. :D

You are all forgetting that unless the OP has a motorcycle license from his home country then legally it would be pointless getting an international one as well as it would only cover cars (that is if he even has a car license).

Actually when I got my UK IDP they did / do stamp the bike category.. I dont have the license to hand but its a strange category like a 400cc and xx Kg limit but its there and importantly for the thai system has a little bike pictured etc.

I dont have a UK bike license but thats been stamped on 3 or 4 IDP's over the years, I presume it was standard practice and not a mistake.

Now you mention it, you can hire a bike anywhere and drive anywhere and the cops normally don't care, it is jst that bikes for hire are normally in tourist areas. One time me and my friends got pulled over in a very out of the way place in northern Thailand (probably the most relaxed area for this kind of thing) my friends didn't have driving licenses and none of the bikes had registration plates. The policeman asked about the plates but then came to the conclusion that because we were not Thai it didn't matter. Where are you thinking of hiring and traveling to?

Long story short.....

You can rent bike anywhere you want and pay the cops small bribe if they do stop you and no worries.

Fact is that without IDP or local licence you pay absolutely everyting in case of accident so it's up to you if you want to gamble 0-100k USD or 0-20 years in jail into it.

So called experts in Pattya have been lucky, true not a problem unless you hit something...

Up to you man.

Chock dee...

Long story short.....

You can rent bike anywhere you want and pay the cops small bribe if they do stop you and no worries.

Fact is that without IDP or local licence you pay absolutely everyting in case of accident so it's up to you if you want to gamble 0-100k USD or 0-20 years in jail into it.

So called experts in Pattya have been lucky, true not a problem unless you hit something...

Up to you man.

Chock dee...

Hi MJo,

I am so agree with you!! Do you think you have a nice time here in jail iff something happens! you don't have to do it by yourself! iff an drunken idiot in a pick up truck hit you from behind! you are the one who gonna pay without driverslicence! Do you even think about it doing this in your own country!

A lot of us farang think that the can do really everything here in thailand that the law not excist for them.

regards Peter

Okay okay - Well, just one more thing.

I have a Class C driver's license, which means I'm licensed to drive a car. If I got an IDP, is there any difference between a motorcycle IDP and a car IDP?

If so, that means to get a Thai license I would have to ...

1) Signup for a motorcycle course ($150)

2) Get my Class B license ($50)

3) Get a Non-Imm O rather than a 2-entry visa ($100 more)

4) Get an IDP ($25)

5) Get a medical exam and thai license ($10)

So total ... $335, or 10385 bhat.

I'd probably just risk the bike without a license, unless I can get a license that's just as good without a motorcycle license from the states (ie. All IDP's are the same; as opposed to motorcycle vs non-motorcycle licenses.)

Thanks for all the help,

- Derek

I go for my thai driverslicence a couple off weeks ago!

1: Health certificate 120 baht

2: House register or proof off resident from your embassy: house register free proof off residant 1430 baht

3: All cost att the examination day 155 baht

And believe me you really don't need a training curse! I didn't ride for 20 years and I passed by easy! It really means nothing! and iff something hapens you have the same rights as a thai by the law! and believe iff you got involved in a exicident you have to pay for all demage! So Derek be smart and spend that morning! I only mean good to you.

Regards Peter

Okay okay - Well, just one more thing.

I have a Class C driver's license, which means I'm licensed to drive a car. If I got an IDP, is there any difference between a motorcycle IDP and a car IDP?

If so, that means to get a Thai license I would have to ...

1) Signup for a motorcycle course ($150)

2) Get my Class B license ($50)

3) Get a Non-Imm O rather than a 2-entry visa ($100 more)

4) Get an IDP ($25)

5) Get a medical exam and thai license ($10)

So total ... $335, or 10385 bhat.

I'd probably just risk the bike without a license, unless I can get a license that's just as good without a motorcycle license from the states (ie. All IDP's are the same; as opposed to motorcycle vs non-motorcycle licenses.)

Thanks for all the help,

- Derek

You have a class C license? You are in California right? You don't need a class B. What you need is a class C (what you have) and an M1 endorsement. I RECOMMEND HIGHLY the motorcycle course if you have not ridden before, and do not have experience. Me, I have been riding for a while (albeit illegally) so I just took the test. I have a harley and it is not fun to do the test course on the Harley. If you are near San Diego I would contact www.dmvtestbike.com It is a guy who rents out his dinky small bike just to take the exam on. It is soooo easy to ride, you won't have a problem passing. And he also knows the folks at the DMV, and they will pass you even if you really do not "pass" the test. It is $45 for use of the bike, and he will refund it if you do not pass. But EVERYONE passes.

Also, the IDP for a car is the same as the IDP as a motorcycle. However, on the IDP there should be a little stamp on it if you are licensed to ride a motorcycle in your home country. If you do not already have the class M1 endorsement then you don't get that in your IDP.

So, here's my question:

Dont try without licence get involved in a accident and you will have big problems.

Up to you man.

Chock dee...

But as probably 99% of rental bikes in Thailand are not insured then you would be paying everything if you have a license or not.

Another option is to simply buy a fake 30 USD IDL online (they will add the bike bit) and use the fake IDL to convert to a real thai license without the test.

It works and gives you an IDL you can wave at 3rd world police and keep in the wallet so dont care if its lost.

So, here's my question:

OK ...

what I didn't see mentioned is

1) Do you ride a motorcycle regularly in your home country?

------ if the answer is No then don't ride one in Thailand . (period. full stop. no need to read further)

2) Do you have a motorcycle license in your home country?

------ if the answer is No then don't ride one in Thailand . (period. full stop. no need to read further)

3) Can you afford to pay full price for a new bike if you happen to kill the one you are renting? (or 1/2 price if you take out their 'insurance)

If you can still read further after having read the above, go to whatever agency in your country issues International Driving Permits and get one. They are valid for one year. You will need 2 passport sized pictures. Yes, you can often get away with just showing the police your normal foriegn issued license, until there is a situation that requires insurance that arises. Then you will need to actually be legal and that requires both the IDP and the foriegn license to be in your possession.

Really , please do pay attention to the above. Motorcycles are dangerous here! I ride every day so I am not saying that experienced riders should not do it. I am saying that inexperienced riders are just a fatality waiting to happen.