Marmite - Uk Style

Krupnik

Hi. I am in a desperate situation - my emergency jar of Marmite has finished and my local Rimping (Nawarat) hasn't had any in for a couple of months now. Please can anyone tell me where else I can purchase some? Have tried the Airport Rimping but no joy. I don't want vegemite or that weird black Australian stuff the genuine UK stuff only. Can anyone help? So grateful if anyone knows!

Rimping now only seem to sell the New Zealand Marmite in a cylindrical plastic jar with red top. They have two sizes . The taste is supposed to be almost identical to the UK version, but the accent is on almost!

Apart from Rimping, I know of no CM stockists, but would be grateful for some advice too..

Rimping now only seem to sell the New Zealand Marmite in a cylindrical plastic jar with red top. They have two sizes . The taste is supposed to be almost identical to the UK version, but the accent is on almost!

Apart from Rimping, I know of no CM stockists, but would be grateful for some advice too..

Yes this is devastating news about Rimping that NZ stuff is definitely not the same.

Anyone? There must be somewhere?

Yes this is devastating news about Rimping that NZ stuff is definitely not the same.

Anyone? There must be somewhere?

Have you tried TOPS (Airport Plaza or Kad Suan Kaew) or Northern Foods - remember seeing it at one of those once.

Have you tried TOPS (Airport Plaza or Kad Suan Kaew) or Northern Foods - remember seeing it at one of those once.

Thanks - already tried the TOPS at KSK but they don't have it. Where is Northern Foods?

The branch I last went to (a few months back) was a small shop on Huay Kaew Road just south of Amari hotel junction. I take it you have tried Tescos etc...

If you get really stuck, PM me and I will bring a jar for you when I return to CM (next month).

The original Marmite (black jar , yellow top) is stocked bt the Tops Chain, The Friendship Chain and The Villa Market Chain. If any of those chains have a branch near you they should be able to obtain it for you as they all have it on their shelves here in Pattaya. In addition, The Villa Market Chain promise to obtain anything requested that they do not stock.

Hi. I am in a desperate situation - my emergency jar of Marmite has finished and my local Rimping (Nawarat) hasn't had any in for a couple of months now. Please can anyone tell me where else I can purchase some? Have tried the Airport Rimping but no joy. I don't want vegemite or that weird black Australian stuff the genuine UK stuff only. Can anyone help? So grateful if anyone knows!

Pretty sure you can get it at Kasems I always make sure I buy a couple of large jars when I do my once a year trip to Blighty.

This year they have added a couple of limited edition 'marmite's'

Champagne flavoured - for Valentines day and Guinness flavour for St Patricks Day, I'll be stocking up on a few jars.

As they say you love it or hate it. :o

I went to both branches of kasem a couple of weeks ago to find a jar of UK Marmite. Same problem as Rimping - nothing on the shelves. A member of staff at Kasem Nimmanheim and another member of staff at Rimping Ruamchoke both said the same thing: "Problems with the supplier".

So I don't know what you can do, other than organise a Red Cross emergency airlift, or contact sympathetic friends or relatives back in the UK. I'm making do at the moment with the Antipodean version. But, you're right. It just isn't the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...
:D I actually bought some at Rimping Ruamchoke yesterday. It was the last but one jar on the shelf. Not sure if they'll be expecting any more. You know how it is, the struggle for scarce resources brings out the worst in all of us, doesn't it? Well, gentlemen, shall we start the bidding at, say... 2000 baht? :o

Marmite and Vegemite are both full of MSG. Maybe if you add even more, it will taste like back in blighty. :o

Im having to make do with the Australian muck at the moment, so I got out my jar, read the ingredients & guess what, no MSG mentioned.

Anyone care to check their Marmite jar ?

UG, care to reveal your sources ?

I suggest you get yourselves and your baht together. One of you can then talk to the Manager at Meechok Rimping and tell you'd like them to order a few cases pronto. I think there's a good chance they will help you.

If you can wait that long.

Otherwise you may need to sponsor someone on a trip to BKK.

Edited by sylviex

Marmite and Vegemite are both full of MSG. Maybe if you add even more, it will taste like back in blighty. :o
Im having to make do with the Australian muck at the moment, so I got out my jar, read the ingredients & guess what, no MSG mentioned.

QUOTE (JohnBKKK @ 2008-03-13 09:26:52)

Well, MSG is part of your food chain - the moment you use a stock cube or any of the above mentioned, but the hype of it being bad for you is based on totally wrong facts - Glutamate is contained in just about every food item and if it wasn't, it wouldn't taste good. Initially Glutamate was derived from seeweat by the Japanese see also http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food/s...1614469,00.html - Thai food by the way, contains a LOT of MSG. People who think they are allergic to it, have eaten it nearly every day without knowing and only develop any headaches if they are told. Well, there may be the odd case of someone who is really allergic to Glutamate but than they can't eat any normal food because its part of most natural food.

Its usually decribed as "Yeast" extract on the packaging.

We do not add it in our products because its already there naturally and by making sausages with lots of meat instead of water, we do not need to add MSG. The same with our ready cooked meals in Jars, we make our own stock with bones as one used to do and some top restaurants still do. It enhances the naturally occuring glutamate and creates the "unami" or meaty flavor. So does slow roasting.

By the way, if you would read the scientific names of most food items, herbs and spices, they sound scary. How about 5-(2,4-dioxymethylene-phenyl)-hexa-2,4-dienoic acid (piperinic acid) with azinane - the part of black pepper that gives it the punch or S. officinalis ssp. minor) contains mostly thujone (35 to 60%), 1,8-cineol (15%), camphor (18%), borneol (16%), bornyl esters, α-pinene and salvene for your sage in your sausages - Monosodium is SALT

How about Glutamate?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Almost becoming another thread, but ...

clear.gifcorner_form_tl.gifcorner_form_tr.gif

corner_form_bl.gifcorner_form_br.gifMayo Clinic dietitian Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D., and colleagues answer select questions from readers.

Answer

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a flavor enhancer commonly added to Chinese food, canned vegetables, soups and processed meats. Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified MSG as a food ingredient that is "generally recognized as safe," the use of MSG remains controversial.

MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods containing MSG. But subsequent research found no definitive evidence of a link between MSG and the symptoms that some people described after eating food containing MSG. As a result, MSG is still added to some foods.

A comprehensive review of all available scientific data on glutamate safety sponsored by the FDA in 1995 reaffirmed the safety of MSG when consumed at levels typically used in cooking and food manufacturing. The report found no evidence to suggest that MSG contributes to any long-term health problems, such as Alzheimer's disease. But it did acknowledge that some people may have short-term reactions to MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex — may include:

• Headache, sometimes called MSG headache
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Sense of facial pressure or tightness
  • Numbness, tingling or burning in or around the mouth
  • Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
  • Chest pain
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea
  • Weakness

Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. However, some people report more severe reactions. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG. When MSG is added to food, the FDA requires that "monosodium glutamate" be listed on the label — or on the menu, in restaurants.

mayoclinic.com/health/monosodium-glutamate/AN01251

Edited by sylviex

Vegemite labels include "yeast extract" amongst the ingredients ( of course ) but not msg, which I understand must be specified under Australian food labelling regulations, as in the European Union.[/size][/size][/font][/size][/font]

Edited by sylviex

I believe that it was explained in an old thread that "yeast extract" is what msg is called on some labels, however, I couldn't find the thread. If you search for "msg" on Thai Visa there are n0 results for some reason, even though there have been lots of posts and threads about it, so it is hard to know what to search for.

I believe that it was explained in an old thread that "yeast extract" is what msg is called on some labels, however, I couldn't find the thread. If you search for "msg" on Thai Visa there are n0 results for some reason, even though there have been lots of posts and threads about it, so it is hard to know what to search for.

The ThaiVisa search engine doesn't for some reason accept three-letter search criteria. Try "monosodium glutamate" instead. Seek and Ye shall find...

/ Priceless

Thank you, but if the writer used "msg" in his thread or post (which most people do), wouldn't all those posts be ignored by the search engine? :o

Well, I think you would not be able to find them with the one search criterium "msg", but mysterious are the ways...

/ Priceless

Marmite is yeast extract, not MSG. MSG, (as glutamate,) naturally occurs in many living tissues. It was first purified from kelp (seaweed) but is now made from a bacterial soup.

I will be in CM 30 May..if you want some vegemite I will bring for you..let me know..I will be staying at raming inn..

Sorry, but a bit (?) pissed tonight....scotch...hee hee.

Will bring the vegimite though...let me know...

\ zzzz.

Thank you, but it is the Marmite I want the vegemite is quite easy to come by.

After a bike mission to all of the places suggested here and no luck (thanks anyway), I took up the offer of someone sending me some. I then find that Rimping at Airport Plaza have a couple of small jars, but I bought them both. If they get any more in, please can no-one buy them though so that they are still there for me. :D:o

Marmite and Vegemite are both full of MSG. Maybe if you add even more, it will taste like back in blighty. :D

AND, there is none in Marmite either.

On the subject of which tastes better I think it is a matter of preference. Personally I think that the UK stuff tastes like shyt.

On the subject of Rimping there are many many food items that they cannot seem to keep on the shelves. Warorot had no Singha soda water a couple of days ago, no Asahi "DRY" beer, they had no Flora margarine for days, if you can find Branston's Pickle get a lottery tick from the guy who sits outside the door. They always promise "just ask and we will get it in, same as what Kasem's say" but when push comes to shove they never do. Once the customer is out the door it's forgotten.

As for UG's sources, you might be in for a long wait. :o

As they say you love it or hate it. :D

Hmmmm...... My problem with it is neither love nor hate. It's fear. :o

I keep having this dream in which I purchase a jar to try, open it, try it (no memory about liking it or not,) and put it back on my shelf. In the middle of the night I awake to this deeeeeep breathing, gurgling sound, and get up to investigate. Walking into the kitchen I find that the Vegimite/Marmite (my dream doesn't specify) has grown in size and is oooozzzing out of the jar and creeping across the floor, doubling in size every few minutes, filling that side of the room and devouring everything in its path.....

Marmite and Vegemite are both full of MSG. Maybe if you add even more, it will taste like back in blighty. :D

AND, there is none in Marmite either.

As for UG's sources, you might be in for a long wait. :o

Oh really now? :D

My mate MSG

by Alex Renton

Monosodium glutamate gets a terrible press, but without it there would be no MarmiteAlex Renton is a writer living in Edinburgh

The announcement in March that Marmite, Britain's most popular savoury bread-covering, is to be sold in clear plastic tubes instead of brown jars was met with wails of nostalgic anguish. A Save our Marmite Jar campaign was mooted—until it emerged that the tubes will still, for now, sit on supermarket shelves beside the pot-bellied jars.

Unilever, which acquired the brand six years ago, says it is "delighted" with the Marmite relaunch. It is the latest success in a campaign to establish "My mate Marmite" as a condiment that runs in veins near the very heart of Britishness itself. Sales are rising—up to 14m jars, £27.5m worth, last year. How much Unilever will save by using plastic instead of the old peat-brown glass, or indeed by thinning the solution of Marmite so it flows more freely, the company won't say. They are oddly shy about Marmite—both about what it is and what it costs to make.

It doesn't cost much. The processed food business excels at putting near-worthless substances into packets and selling them at a premium: Marmite may be one of the most remarkably marked-up items of all. It is a waste product of industrial brewing, a sludge left from the fermentation of yeast and sugars, stabilised by the addition of salt. Marmite's first factory was established in 1902 near the Bass brewery in Burton-on-Trent; it was true once, if not now, that the brewers paid Marmite's makers to cart the stuff away.

The other thing that Unilever doesn't tell you is what Marmite is. On the pot it lists a few flavourings and vitamins, as well as "yeast extract." The latter is one of the many euphemisms tolerated by food labelling authorities across the world for monosodium glutamate: MSG, the Agent Orange of food additives. It is blamed, by nutritionists and parental support groups, for a range of ills starting with the headaches and palpitations people believe they get from Chinese food through to childhood asthma and attention deficit disorder. Marmite has 1750mg of monosodium glutamate in every 100g: more MSG than any other substance in the average British larder (a well-matured parmesan cheese might come a close second).

No wonder Unilever doesn't put MSG on the label. And it wriggles away from the subject under questioning. "There's no MSG in Marmite," says Unilever's customer care line. Pressed, this becomes "no added MSG"—and then you're assured that the MSG that is present is "naturally occurring." Quite how natural you can call an industrial process that breaks down yeast proteins by heat and centrifuge into amino acids is something customer care won't debate. You might as well call carbon a naturally occurring substance in petrol.

MSG is what makes Marmite work, of course. It's a simple substance, a salt of glutamic acid which is present in many foodstuffs including mothers' milk. Glutamate makes things more tasty by stimulating nerve receptors in the taste buds: the reason it's present in breast milk, it is thought, is that, along with the sugar lactose, it encourages babies to eat more. The same thing happens when we put other MSG sources—strong cheese, cured meat, cooked tomatoes or soy sauce—on a plate of bland carbohydrates: we stimulate our appetite. Glutamate and its analogues appear to work on quite separate receptors from those excited by other chemicals, and neuroscientists have recently decided that the taste is a unique, fundamental one, inadequately called "savoury" or "tangy." The Japanese scientist who first isolated glutamate in stock made from dried seaweed 100 years ago gave it a rather more poetic name: umami, or deliciousness. It takes a place alongside sweet, bitter, salty and sour in the basic palette that our tongues can detect. It is a fifth taste.

Without MSG, Marmite would not work, and the processed and packaged food industry would not exist as we know it. MSG found its way from Japan to America after the second world war. The arrival was timely—as canned and frozen food took off, a key problem emerged. When you subject foods to necessary heat or cold to pasteurise them, they lose taste. MSG replaces it, though usually coyly billed as "hydrolysed vegetable protein" or by the E numbers 620-625, which signify a range of related glutamates. The world consumes 1.5m tonnes of it a year.So how bad for you is MSG? Fear of MSG began with a 1968 New England Journal of Medicine paper identifying "Chinese restaurant syndrome." Studies followed showing that mice injected with vast amounts of MSG developed brain lesions. A panic was born. MSG has since been "linked to"—that fatal pop science phrase—anything from asthma to Alzheimer's.

But none of the scores of studies carried out on humans has ever shown conclusively that it does any harm at all, even in unrealistic doses. Rather the opposite: by reducing the need for salt in food, it may do some good. Every government body that pronounces on these things has long ago put MSG on its list of safe food additives; the industry responded by finding a nicer name for it. But nearly 40 years on, the myth persists: polls of parents in the west find that over 70 per cent still believe MSG is harmful and would not let their children consume it (good luck to them). Asians, of course, are immune to such concerns: in Thailand and China a little bottle of MSG appears beside the salt, sugar and the crushed chilli on restaurant tables.

Deliciousness is clearly all around us, but if you want to experiment, MSG can be found in Chinese supermarkets in pure form in tins marked "gourmet powder." A little mixed into an omelette gives an idea of what it can do—and if you get pains and flushes later, you may attribute them to mass hysteria. Alternatively, there's Marmite—a half-teaspoonful will cheer up the dimmest stock. And whoever got a headache from eating Marmite?

http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article...ils.php?id=7405

Marmite is yeast extract, not MSG. MSG, (as glutamate,) naturally occurs in many living tissues. It was first purified from kelp (seaweed) but is now made from a bacterial soup.

The other thing that Unilever doesn't tell you is what Marmite is. On the pot it lists a few flavourings and vitamins, as well as "yeast extract." The latter is one of the many euphemisms tolerated by food labelling authorities across the world for monosodium glutamate: MSG, the Agent Orange of food additives.

The other thing that Unilever doesn't tell you is what Marmite is. On the pot it lists a few flavourings and vitamins, as well as "yeast extract." The latter is one of the many euphemisms tolerated by food labelling authorities across the world for monosodium glutamate: MSG, the Agent Orange of food additives.

Well UG that wasn't such a long wait.

In response, Unilever does not make Marmite in either NZ or Australia. It is made by Sanitarium and Vegemite is made by Kraft.

Australia and New Zealand

Standard 1.2.4 of the Australia & New Zealand Food Standards Code requires the presence of MSG as a food additive to be labeled. The label must bear the food additive class name (eg. flavour enhancer), followed by either the name of the food additive (eg MSG) or its International Numbering System (INS) number (eg 621).

I'll stick with my claim that neither of the two (in NZ & Oz) contain MSG

And I still think that the UK brand tastes like crap. Might be the MSG eh !?

Edited by john b good