Buy Some Cream While You Wait

AMAZING THAILAND

Immiration officials seem to be paid a strarvation salary,so they must have supplemental income .

Her aer some of the latest observatin at the NongKai Immigratin office.

The occasional 100-200 Baht for expedited services are almost the norm and not even noticed anymore . But the now twist is :they are selling creams .lotions ,powders and assorted cosmetics out of their office desks.It is done in such a intimidating way that impressionable people surely come to the conclusion "I do not but the cream ,I no get visa -or wait 3 hours ".

During my about 2 hour wait ,I noticed that everyone who was called to the desk was approached in that way , even for me old geezer they had some cream to make me young man again.

How low can it get ??? TIT to the max.

Yes, certainly outlandish--because we all know that NO public servant in Thailand would EVER moonlight! snip

Is there a law that says a public servant can’t moonlight, as in own and operate another business?

I’m under the impression some are paid a bonus for not owning a private business and they lose that bonus if they do start a business.

Having said that, I wouldn’t class selling a few creams as a private business. :o

Yes, certainly outlandish--because we all know that NO public servant in Thailand would EVER moonlight! snip

Is there a law that says a public servant can’t moonlight, as in own and operate another business?

Ninety-five percent of the Thai teachers I have worked with (a total of about 40 at the tertiary level) have business interests outside of teaching, including everything from AMWAY and Herbal-Life, to (and here comes the bonafide "moonlighting") running competing language schools, owning and operating hair salons, computer shops, nutritional centers, and restaurants. Heck, one even owns and runs a major factory north of town that makes construction materials.

It's unusual to find a teacher in our city who "only" teaches. Likewise the local BIB's are all quite the entrepreneurs as well. One I personally know, runs a thriving real estate business, and constantly mixes the activities all day long, on duty, and off. Imagine your landlord coming to collect the rent, uniformed and armed. He comments how most of his tenants are always on time with their rent--no $hit, Sherlock!

That's why I had to laugh out loud at the incredulity of poster #2. My laugh turned to an outright guffaw at poster #4 who innocently asks "Isn't there a law?"--tryng to interpret an Asian culture through western-colored glasses. It doesn't take a long time living here to realize that this isn't a society governed by laws (case in point: the latest bloodless coup which could not have been pulled off without the consent of general public opinion at all levels).

Rather, it's a society controlled by popular consensus and one's personal connections. The law be damned.

Edited by toptuan

It was a sly joke too Toptuan, most of the public servants I know run private businesses. It makes you wonder why they stay in the public service as their private businesses bring in way more than the government salary especially if they’ve lost that bonus.

In the cases I know of, the bonus was 15,000B a month which equaled half their monthly salary as a recent graduate. I don’t think the sales of a few creams would worry Bangkok.

As for the OP, I often wonder if some people are overly paranoid. In my dealing with officialdom I so far haven’t run into these problems. Maybe I’m just lucky.

I agree second jobs are not unusual in the public sector,

but plying your trade in the government office..................... :D

Whatever you do, don't use those creams. :o

It all depends on where you plan to apply the cream....... :D

At the Cambodian border at Hat Lek they give you a pen

to fill out your arrival card and then charge 5 baht for the hire

of the pen and this is going on right outside the window

of the Immigration Office. :o

Well it happened to me. T'was on Boxing Day; and as I was getting my usual grilling from the gentleman we have all learned to love-to-hate, his lady boss (who isn't so young and definitely doesn't look too good in her tight fitting uniform, unless you're into that sort of thing of course) quietly sold my wife, who was sitting next to me, a tablet of soap for 100 baht.

That was the "downside" to the visit. The "upside" was once the annual ordeal was over and my PP had been stamped up for the next 12 month, he, who we all love-to-hate, smiled and wished me a Merry Christmas!!!! Perhaps they are human after all. I wished all the staff a Happy New Year, wai'd respectfully, thanked them for their excellent service and beat a hasty retreat back to the boonies for another year.

Can anyone confirm this outlandish story from Nong Khai?

I wonder if the Bangkok office knows about it?

Absolutely, during our last two forced visits there (2007) we were insistingly asked to buy soap, which the gf did reluctantly.

During our last visit to obtain a certificate of residence one month ago we got fined 1k baht for not having notified alien residing over 24h at house master or something like that, pure crap since I obtained retirement extension at soi Suan Phlu early Jan and having filled in a form declaring residence at that occasion.

I think gf made clear they could stick their soap where the sun does not shine :o .

Sorry - but your reporting/extension has nothing to do with house owner being required to report a foreigner within 24 hours. That is the law (and the reason hotels have to get your PP data) but is not normally enforced for private family stay (unless you ask for proof of residence paperwork or otherwise call attention to yourself).

Oh yes ,I almost forgot .

They tried that Baht 1000 fine for delayed reporting on me too when I tried to get proof of residence for a drivers licence . When I told them That I will continue to use my international DL instead ,that was fine with them(so who serious was this offence ??) ,so I did not pay and walked out.

Now,this make me really angry. :o

I was two times to the Imm. Office last month,first for the yearly extension,later for the re-entry Permit(can't do both together,too much work)and there were same young ladies,(trainees?)and my wife didn't come with me,and nobody offered me creams or soaps or massage!

This is pure,undiluted discrimination! :D