Thos Farming Make Money

dennis13

hi guy's i'm new at this, so i'm just looking for some info. thanks in advance

iff owning farmland and let a farmer run the fielt, can there be a nice profit off it for the land owner?

iff so what are the best things to grow?

what are the prices off farmland?

i know farang can't own land on there name.

i'm just wondering iff it's profitable to invest iff you can buy the land on wifes name.

grtz dennis

I have seen mention of rent for land, paid to the landowner of 1000 to 1500 baht per year, per rai, on this forum. Figure what return you want on your invested monies and you figure what you can pay for land. I cannot answer if it is profitable as some investors want total return of invested money in 7 years, some in 10 years, others even longer. A local loan shark may get return of 10% per week so he would see an investment in land as a non profit venture. A family man buying land to leave to his children and their children would look at return in a different way.Just remember to look at the cost of land to bring it to the point of productivity. Is it flat paddy with water aviable, ready to plant, or hillside that must be cleared, with no water?

If the rent is Bt1,000 per year per rai, a purchase price of Bt25,000 -30,000 would yield 3-4%. That's in a range of prices and rentals I've seen mentioned in this forum and in the field for the non-chanote, squatter's rights type of land out in the boonies. So it really depends your alternatives, how you will watch after the land and collect the rent if it's a nice enough profit for you.

With the increase we've seen in agricultural product prices in recent months and sustained high oil prices (support for biofuel), there's probably upside in rentals and land prices down the road. But the market is working pretty well and last month when I checked things out on the ground, land prices and rentals had already reflected this bullish outlook somewhat. Over the past four - five years, I guess my wife's farmland has appreciated some 25-30%, with a lot of that appreciation in the last 12 months. Including rental, that works out to an annual return of better than 10%.

hi guy's i'm new at this, so i'm just looking for some info. thanks in advance

iff owning farmland and let a farmer run the fielt, can there be a nice profit off it for the land owner?

iff so what are the best things to grow?

what are the prices off farmland?

i know farang can't own land on there name.

i'm just wondering iff it's profitable to invest iff you can buy the land on wifes name.

grtz dennis

Dear Dennis

The short answer is: no, no and no!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if I should start a new topic as the subject is similar.

I'm (my wife) am looking at purchasing 100 to 200 rai of farmland in Isaan, near loei.

Plan is to take advantage of high Euro against Thai Baht. Grow something as investment - trees probably. Will need to research forum for ideas.

Move to Thailand in next few years with savings and regular State pension.

The question is can a modest income be made from farming. Or, are any of you Isaan farmers making a small income. I expect I would be hobby farming more than anything elese as I am no longer a young fella. Maybe some ponds, fruit trees and a plantation of trees.

As an investment it may not make sense. But in todays econmic World climate, having land and growing food as well as having an income isn't such a bad idea.

Ultimately, my Kids (Thai & Euro passports) would inherit the land.

I realise theree are many factors - type of land, roads, near market etc.

I can tell you that we live simple lives and would not require the usual trappings of wealth. A hammock and good book should suffice. e are both nature lovers and living outside my wife's village would suit us fine. I have been there many times for weeks at a time.

Love to hear from those who are already faming in Isaan.

If you are planning on living in Loei, I have an idea for making building blocks. Unfortunately I appear to have a rather large supply of laterite. When I bought the land, it had a VERY healthy crop of 2 meter high weeds growing. Had I known it had so much of this rock, I would not have bought the ground. I have done some research and discovered this porous rock has been used for building blocks for thousands of years. It would take a LOT of labor to cut blocks out of this material, so rather than thinking about cutting it can be crushed and mixed with about five percent of cement, it could then be damp pressed into very good building blocks. The rock is crushed fairly easily and a simple jaw crusher would supply plenty of material. The laterite itself contains a large amount of iron so the blocks would be a natural reddish color. The profit margin may be good since the material is free and there is also a supply of water. Don't confuse laterite blocks with the ones currently made from mostly dirt and cement.

Sounds good Gary. We know a guy here in Buriram getting a very nice living from making the normal cinder/ breeze blocks; he doesn't lift a finger, he has three 'slaves' doing all the work & turns out 4000 blocks a day, reckons it is near 100% profit! Like you say, basically dirt & cement.

If you are planning on living in Loei, I have an idea for making building blocks. Unfortunately I appear to have a rather large supply of laterite. When I bought the land, it had a VERY healthy crop of 2 meter high weeds growing. Had I known it had so much of this rock, I would not have bought the ground. I have done some research and discovered this porous rock has been used for building blocks for thousands of years. It would take a LOT of labor to cut blocks out of this material, so rather than thinking about cutting it can be crushed and mixed with about five percent of cement, it could then be damp pressed into very good building blocks. The rock is crushed fairly easily and a simple jaw crusher would supply plenty of material. The laterite itself contains a large amount of iron so the blocks would be a natural reddish color. The profit margin may be good since the material is free and there is also a supply of water. Don't confuse laterite blocks with the ones currently made from mostly dirt and cement.

Start a hardware store - you open up at 8 - 8:30am, and you lock up at 5pm and go home - and its one of the businesses that never go wrong in rural areas. Easy to keep an eye on, everything is under roof, all the stock is "realisable" at any time you get tired of it - and if you go to the trouble of getting building permission, so long as there is a population denisty of a certain amount in the area (I can;t remember what it is - but there is a formula) you will always have your investment secure in the increasing value of the real estate.

Maizefarmer dam_n good advise!

That is probably the best moneymaker out in all of Thailand. If your location/ rent is good (even better if you own) It would be tough to lose. It might take a while to get funds back- but how many times do we all say If only there was a good hardware store close by. Or even one that stocks all those hard to find items in LOS that are easy in our homelands!

Surely the local Chineese community will fight back if you open a shop that competes with them. Your suppliers would also most likely be Chineese and could easily make your life difficult. Also, the work permit question could be problematic.

Surely the local Chineese community will fight back if you open a shop that competes with them. Your suppliers would also most likely be Chineese and could easily make your life difficult. Also, the work permit question could be problematic.

You can never beat them at the own game, on their territory, by their rules. However you may be able to play as long as you don't threaten their livlihood and fair shares for all except that yours will (naturally be smaller).

Most of them are family businesses that have been around a long time and if you are in the right location you will probably make money by selling to farangs but Thais may not use your shop. It is after alla free country and you don't have to serve people if you don't want to and they don't have to come to you for goods.

Alternatively if your wife was to be the owner then.......