Beer Singha Now Only 5%

5tash

I'm a Chang drinker myself but this evening i ran out so i cracked open a bottle of singha and noticed the alcohol content on the label was 5%. I'm sure it used to be pushing up close behind my beloved chang at 6%. Has anyone else noticed the change in %age. To those singha drinkers out there, is there a change in the taste? Be interesting to hear your opinions.

yes i noticed a while ago as singha is one of the only affordable Thai beers i can drink without a bad after effect

the cheaper beers i think have formaldehyde or something awful my body can not tolerate

someone told me it the reduction had to do with taste

i thought i had to do with marketing so you actually need to buy more

does anyone know the real reason?

does anyone want to contact singha and find out

anyway who knows what the the genuine content is no matter what the label says on anything?

I don't think you can go by what it says on the bottle, it seems a strange coincidence that just about every beer in Thailand, imported or local, is 5% (apart from Chang).

I have drunk Singha for the last few years but have now switched to Tiger as the Singha seemed to be getting me p1ssed too quick. My missus was amazed that I returned from a lads night out last weekend still able to talk!

I noticed this sometime last year and have to admit I find Singha a lot more palatable than it used to be (could just be my taste buds ageing I suppose :D )

I certainly much prefer Singha to Chang or Leo. Have to say my preferred poisons are Beer Lao or failing that Heineken (bottled not draught) though when I'm in Thailand.

Tiger? :o Sorry but I just don't like the stuff - and it's just as disgusting in Singapore as the version brewed in Thailand.

CC

Its still 6% here in Edmonton,Alberta Canada,about 82 baht per 330ml bottle.(I buy the 6-pack at a time)

Though its all really not a big deal--the alcohol content--as I usually drink about 3 to 6 at a session so whats 1% more or less as the buzz starts to set in huh?ha ha . :D

Singha helps me keep my connection to Los during a LONG winter here!!Oh...and The gang here at Thaivisa too!!

Chok Dee!

FarangrussIam :o:D

I don't think you can go by what it says on the bottle, it seems a strange coincidence that just about every beer in Thailand, imported or local, is 5% (apart from Chang).

I have drunk Singha for the last few years but have now switched to Tiger as the Singha seemed to be getting me p1ssed too quick. My missus was amazed that I returned from a lads night out last weekend still able to talk!

Tiger is also my tipple when in Thailand. I don't drink beer except when in Thailand and even then only 3-4! Must be getting old! :o

The change took place sometime between November 2006 and March 2007. I was absolutely gutted, my favourite beer completely ruined. Singha used to have a distincive, robust, full bodied flavour. Now it just tastes thin and full of chemicals. I suspect the change had something to do with reducing the tax the brewery pay and increasing their profits.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the reply I received in September last year from the importer of Singha into the UK.

At the time the Singha on the shelves was 6% here but 5% in BKK.

I saw the other day that the Singha here in Sainsburys is now the 5% variant.

Dear TOLSTI

Thank you for your email regarding Singha Beer.

A) At present the Singha Beer sold in Tesco’s, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose is 6% ABV.

The ABV in Thailand until very recently was also 6%. However, over the past 3 years the brewery have conducted tests in the domestic market and the results show that 5% ABV is the public’s optimum taste for Singha. This year the Singha Beer produced in the domestic market was 5% ABV. We are currently in the transition of supplying the UK with the 5% ABV so that Singha UK remains in line with Thailand and the rest of the World. However, none to date has been released into the UK market.

:o I can confirm that Singha Beer is 100% brewed and bottled in Thailand and is a genuine import into the UK.

C) The Singha Beer available in the UK is fresh stock. The best before date is provided at the point of bottling and all cases show the infill date as well as the best before date.

I hope this gives you some clarification and pls feel free to contact me should you have any further enquires.

Kind Regards

Donna Tirrell

PR & Marketing UK

Singha Beer UK (Entbe Ltd)

i actually met a guy who works for singha, posed the question, and after 10 minutes i still did not understand the answer :o

something about them using different brews at different times in the same bottles and cans

also something about a mandate from or to the 'tycoon' who runs singha

beats me

• 2 weeks later...

I drink so little and so seldom, that I had not noticed. Yet, in the past year I noticed that Singha had very little 'beer taste' so I switched to Lao. More flavor.

My Dad sold chemicals to breweries, including some old German brands in Wisconsin. He found at least one brewmeister who was making beer for Germans, at only 3.2%!

i bought some singha beer last week from asda in the UK, it was bottled in august 2007 and tasted awful, not sure what the alcohol% was though, but it tasted nothing like the singha i enjoy in thailand.

Edited by bigbri73

Singha tastes like piss, whatever the alcohol content

Not sure what piss taste like but I do know this.... that Singha is not a very good tasting beer.I believe that people "think"that it taste good because of the advertising of it.Remember it is the main beer that is advertised all over the world.That does not make it a good beer.Just the number one beer that people see out side of the Kingdom and connect with Thailand.Try to get another Thai beer in a resturant outside of Thailand......

I meant to say advertised as the number one beer of Thailand all over the world.

Edited by blue eyes