Short-term Teaching Contracts

srowndedbyh2o

Are English teachers in such demand in Thailand that it is possible to get a teaching position for 3 to 6 months at a time? In other words, teach for 3 to 6 months; leave the position for 3 months, then return and teach for another 3-6 months.

I know this may sound odd, but here is my position:

I will be leaving a full-time position in a healthcare field I’ve had for the last ten years, and start doing contract work in the same field here in the U.S.A. A Hospital contract is generally 3 months. The contract employer pays housing, health insurance and travel expenses. My wife is Thai, and we would both love to move to Thailand. What we had in mind was to set-up a home in Thailand. I would then go to the U.S. to do a 3-month contract at a hospital (since the employer pays the rent, no need to maintain a home in the States). After the 3-month contract, I would then return to Thailand and work as a teacher for 3 to 6 months. Although the hospital contract work pays well, it’s not enough to be our only source of income if we are living in Thailand most of the year. I thought that if I could work as a teacher in Thailand, between the two jobs, we would have a comfortable income.

Yes-ish, but don't be expecting a WP (which obviously no one is condoning even though it's a fact of life for most teachers here!).

I don't know if you'd be able to do it exactly as you've said you want to, but you'll be able to get by (your qualifications would help to advise you better as so far to me you're not in any way, shape or form a teacher).

Edited by kenkannif

Thanks for the feedback kenkannif.

As far as qualifications, aside from having a college degree and being a native English speaker, I have none. My plan is to obtain a TEFL certificate, and then find a teaching position teaching one or two days a week. As my experience grows and I become more knowledgeable and confident in my ability to teach English, I would increase the number of days spent in the classroom.

Thanks for the feedback kenkannif.

As far as qualifications, aside from having a college degree and being a native English speaker, I have none. My plan is to obtain a TEFL certificate, and then find a teaching position teaching one or two days a week. As my experience grows and I become more knowledgeable and confident in my ability to teach English, I would increase the number of days spent in the classroom.

In years past, I've hired a number of teachers to work for one school term..About 5 months, depending on the school... I feel confident that you shouldn't have too much of a problem, but the trick is finding a willing school in your area, and one that isn't accepting you because they're a crappy school and desperate because other teachers don't want to work there. After a year or so, you will certainly have more options, in my experience

Yup- come and pay your dues, and you'll be fine in a year or so!  Just don't let the learning curve make you bitter- it's a steep one!

"Steven"

:o Yes, it can be steep!

For me, my paying dues was teaching H.S. kids in a lower socio-economic inner-city school in San Francisco for a few years. An education for me, too! :D