Well Run Dry.

NanLaew

The water well that was sunk on my property over 10 years ago has dropped so low now there is insufficient head of water and the pump doesn't lift anything. Over the past 2 months, my backup to city water has gone.

Does anyone have a "well guy" they can recommend? I believe that one solution is to dig deeper and let the existing well pipes 'settle' and add new rings on top. Anyone tried this with any success? Someone else suggested digging a new one and using the dirt to fill the old if the old rings don't settle. I can't bring a water drill in since the well is inside a walled residential property.

Open to all suggestions here but need an expert pretty sharpish. Would rather hope to keep the well working through the hot and dry season as that system drives the lawn sprinklers and the grass will get burned to a crisp otherwise.

The water well that was sunk on my property over 10 years ago has dropped so low now there is insufficient head of water and the pump doesn't lift anything. Over the past 2 months, my backup to city water has gone.

Does anyone have a "well guy" they can recommend? I believe that one solution is to dig deeper and let the existing well pipes 'settle' and add new rings on top. Anyone tried this with any success? Someone else suggested digging a new one and using the dirt to fill the old if the old rings don't settle. I can't bring a water drill in since the well is inside a walled residential property.

Open to all suggestions here but need an expert pretty sharpish. Would rather hope to keep the well working through the hot and dry season as that system drives the lawn sprinklers and the grass will get burned to a crisp otherwise.

The way you describe it (insufficient head of water / pump doesn't lift) do you mean that the pump is still sitting in water, but any 'head' above the pump has gone, or do you mean that the water table has dropped below your pump?

If still in water, then maybe replacing the pump will be sufficient. If the water table has dropped beyong your pump level, then a new well is the best way to go - even if it means knocking down part of your wall and rebuilding. Or hoisting the drilling rig over the wall.

And go much deeper. There are several levels of aquifer under most areas and the upper levels are drying out as Pattaya expands. Look at the water shortages everywhere in the area, and the lack of coordinated conservation. Water is more valuable than oil and should be respected as such.

I was looking into getting a well drilled in my garden recently, and a guy who recently had one done, assured me that he knew a very good company who could get their gear into any garden.

My house is walled in too, but he was sure it could still be done. As he works on an oil rig, I guess he knows what he's talking about.

I'll try to get the contact details and PM you in the next day or so.

As he works on an oil rig, I guess he knows what he's talking about.

Oil rig workers know what they're talking about?

Only when they're in the bar, beer in hand, talking about last night. Or their time in Special Services. Or the time they flew (piloted) Concorde after the aircrew were overcome with fumes.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

As he works on an oil rig, I guess he knows what he's talking about.

Oil rig workers know what they're talking about?

Only when they're in the bar, beer in hand, talking about last night. Or their time in Special Services. Or the time they flew (piloted) Concorde after the aircrew were overcome with fumes.

Actually he's an electrical engineer, and he has a nice house here and seems a pretty smart guy.

In a previous incarnation I worked in the oil business for 8 years, so I do know the kind of people you are referring to - indeed I lived with and got drunk with many. However, they are not all Neanderthals - if that were the case almost every well that had been drilled would have blown up by now or they wouldn't have found any oil at all. :D

There's a few smart <deleted> in amongst the alcoholic 'roustabouts" :o

This guy can get his drilling rig in places you can't get a vehicle mounted one. It did take him about 5 days to drill down 30 mts. and there was a lot of mess when he cleaned out the bore hole but it might be a solution!

PM me if you want his number.

post-13984-1205594235_thumb.jpg

Actually he's an electrical engineer, and he has a nice house here and seems a pretty smart guy.

In a previous incarnation I worked in the oil business for 8 years, so I do know the kind of people you are referring to - indeed I lived with and got drunk with many. However, they are not all Neanderthals - if that were the case almost every well that had been drilled would have blown up by now or they wouldn't have found any oil at all. :D

There's a few smart <deleted> in amongst the alcoholic 'roustabouts" :o

Saudi Aramco have had five major failures in the past year (unpublicized) that have cost an average of US$ 200 million and some loss of life.

Our petro-chem plant is supposed to come on line in the middle of this year - doubtful - but the entire inspection crew are intending to be elsewhere before start-up. I am out of here tomorrow.

US $ 11 billion and none of the workers has any faith in the integrity of the plant.

This guy can get his drilling rig in places you can't get a vehicle mounted one. It did take him about 5 days to drill down 30 mts. and there was a lot of mess when he cleaned out the bore hole but it might be a solution!

PM me if you want his number.

If that rig hit a boulder on it's way down it would be buggered.

Fine in most of Pattaya, but I do not rate his ability to penetrate rock.

The very first thing I would do is hire a couple of Thai workers. A shovel, bucket and a rope is all they would need. If you gain a meter or a meter and a half to the depth that may hold you over until the water table rises again. Of course the water will be quite muddy for a while or maybe forever but it will be fine for watering the lawn and plants.

Thanks to all who posted and PM'd me. It seems that the 'traditional' well diggers are few and far between. I asked at a couple of irrigation businesses and although they knew what was wanted in that respect, they didn't know of anyone locally that could do it.

I did have a 'hot tip' and the wife actually spoke with the guy to arrange a visit. However, on the 3 days I was in Pattaya, he chose not to answer his phone. I will give him one more shot but that may only give me temporary relief anyway as the near surface aquifers dry out. In that case, I may go with the man-portable water driller and try and get a deeper aquifer. But I will make sure he has a bloody mud pit and drainage worked out before he buggers up my lawn!