Person With A Walking Disability

Coolpal39

I am going to retire in Bangkok and have a walking disabity. I do not need a wheelchair but use a cane or a walker if things get bad for me. What would be a good area for me to look for an apartment or townhouse?

I would need a place that has a walk-in shower (or bath) and hopefully close to one of the better food stores that has been discussed on his forum, and website.

Will local Thai people who might live near me in the same apartment complex be helpful to someone with a disability? Would kids be willing to help me take out garbage, or help change a light bulb, and similar things?

CP

I injured my foot and was in a wheelchair and on crutches for about four months altogether. It was a pain, but many people do try to be helpful, some end up getting in the way while trying to be helpful and some are just so surprised by a foreigner on crutches that they are just paralyzed in thought and stop dead in your way.

What may be a good idea is to get a condo in a place that has a good convenience store and a few restaurants. If you don't drive, larger complexes also tend to attract taxis and have enough staff to help get you one. The biggest problem will be communicating what you need done in Thai, but I found security guards and maids really went out of the way to help me. If you get a maid, she can help you around the house. Central Chit Lom and some of the Villa markets also help load your bags into your car or get a taxi.

I'm not sure that you want to plan on walking to do errands. The sidewalks in general here are awful and some people will not move out of your way no matter what. The majority of people here will be helpful, but a few will probably be worse than in your home country. A lot of people don't move when you say excuse me and I have had people, mostly children, literally push me out of the way a few times (they did get some dirty looks from other Thais though.) But for the most part, it is a good place to be in my experience if you need some extra help.

Have you ever been to Bangkok? It is possibly one of the least accessible major cities in the world for people that are mobility impaired no matter how slightly!

Have you ever been to Croatia where the buildings are 200 years old with stairs everywhere and only some of the apartment blocks have elevators.?

CP

Have you ever been to Bangkok? It is possibly one of the least accessible major cities in the world for people that are mobility impaired no matter how slightly!

Have you ever been to Croatia where the buildings are 200 years old with stairs everywhere and only some of the apartment blocks have elevators.?

CP

My father is croatian so I visit Croatia almost every summer. He had his legs amputated. He uses prosthes. There is no trouble living in Dubrovnik or to go to the beach there, sure there are some steps here and there but nothing else.

However, Bangkok is a major hurdle for him. There are several reasons for this. One is the pace is quite high due to trafic ect in Bangkok. To cross a street in bangkok demands some brisk walking. Secondly, there are much more stairs to walk in your everyday Bangkok than if you were to live in Split for exemple. The sidewalks have rather high steps in Bangkok.

It all depends on your disability and your lifestyle. Do you have difficulties to get into a car ect? Make sure you have someone to assist you the first week you are here then you will know how much help you may need in your everydaylife.

I'll also add one other good thing about being on crutches in Bangkok... It used to be a 40 minute ride home in a taxi everyday from work. Often, taxi drivers would refuse to take me, waiting for a few shorter fares to make more money. When I was on crutches, I never was turned down by a taxi, ever. Many even got out and opened the door for me.

My brother's girlfriend was in a plaster cast once and in the outskirts of Bangkok hobbling along looking for a taxi. The police picked her up, took her to a main road and hailed a taxi for her. :o

Anyway, probably not much to do with the main OP, but a nice story to share.

I have been confined to a wheelchair for the last four years of my eighteen years in Thailand. I wouldn't personally retire to Bangkok as it is generally very wheelchair unfriendly. There are a lot places which are better for people with walking problems.

However if Bangkok is your choice there are many area's which would be fine, providing you can walk anywhere near a mass transit station would work.

Generally the local population are very helpful and will do all they can to assist you providing you keep a sense of humour.

:o

CP

My father is croatian so I visit Croatia almost every summer. He had his legs amputated. He uses prosthes. There is no trouble living in Dubrovnik or to go to the beach there, sure there are some steps here and there but nothing else.

However, Bangkok is a major hurdle for him. There are several reasons for this. One is the pace is quite high due to trafic ect in Bangkok. To cross a street in bangkok demands some brisk walking. Secondly, there are much more stairs to walk in your everyday Bangkok than if you were to live in Split for exemple. The sidewalks have rather high steps in Bangkok.

It all depends on your disability and your lifestyle. Do you have difficulties to get into a car ect? Make sure you have someone to assist you the first week you are here then you will know how much help you may need in your everydaylife.

Actually i was all ready to retire in Split and then the Croatian government now says non-Croats can only stay in the country six months of the year. This really screwed up my plans. This is why I am now looking for an alternative location. There is no more being able to form a company and stay long term under a business visa.

CP

I see.

The nearest eqvalent of Split in Thailand is something like Hua Hin or Cha am.

Another soultion maybe to live in Split during summer and the other six months in Montenegro or another place close by. Google Sveti Stefan. It is a nice place in Montenegro.

I see.

The nearest eqvalent of Split in Thailand is something like Hua Hin or Cha am.

Another soultion maybe to live in Split during summer and the other six months in Montenegro or another place close by. Google Sveti Stefan. It is a nice place in Montenegro.

The problem with that is keeping two apartments.

CP