Us Dollar Exchange

Bangkok Barry

Does anyone have any idea why the (tourist?) exchange rate for US$ depends on the denomination of the banknotes?

Doesn't happen in any other country that I know of, and it doesn't happen in LOS except for the US$.

Am I looking for logic where none exists? It's just a case of TIT?

I believe that US banks pay more for larger denomination notes. Easier to handle ?

It happens in almost every country I have ever visited.

As I understand, the reason for the difference in exchange relates somewhat directly to the increase chance of taking a fraudulent note - and the additional handling costs [insurance costs] on the bank.

In certain cases, and at certain times, banks simply refuse to accept certain US notes [usually, but not always, 100s] where there are a large number of forgeries in circulation.

SM :o

The UK, UAE, Germany, Switzerland, France, Australia and every other country I've been to gives the same exchange rate whether it's a $100 or $10 bill.

Only in Thailand is it different, in my experience. And only for the US$. Not for Euros, sterling, Canadian dollars, Australian dollars and so on and so on.

I just recently sent my wife some money I was sending cashier's checks but it took a long time to verify everything from the states so i started sending money 20 dollar bills but she then told me that she was not getting much for those bank notes I just recently sent her 50 dollar bills but she wanted 100 dollar bills so the higher the bank note the more money you get. She'll probably aske for 1000 next :o

The UK, UAE, Germany, Switzerland, France, Australia and every other country I've been to gives the same exchange rate whether it's a $100 or $10 bill.

Only in Thailand is it different, in my experience. And only for the US$. Not for Euros, sterling, Canadian dollars, Australian dollars and so on and so on.